• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Amir0x

Banned
zoner said:
Guys should stop worrying about which console to get it on. PS3 is lead sku; you should get it on there if that's what you want to play.

Nobody is worried. We're simply eliminating FUD.

zoner said:
Also GAF, why are you ignoring Rockstar's involvement in this game? I'm sure someone working there really appreciates you saying 'NUH UH ITS ALL TEAM BONDI'

Because literally the vast majority of this game was developed by Team Bondi and it's offensive that a forum who is in the know should have a legion of people trying to be intentionally ignorant of this fact and credit Rockstar with its quality?

NBtoaster

Those 360 shots that were posted have AA, while the PS3 gameplay trailers didn't seem to have any. Same with self shadows.

Just saying what it looks like. I know judging image quality from video isn't the best way to go and things can change before release.

edit: I'm most likely wrong about the shadows..seems to be missing sometimes but not in other places.

Einbroch

Banned
Okay, now that we've played a few missions, replayed a mission, and have a pretty good grip on the game, here are some impressions (360):

NO SPOILERS, DON'T WORRY. There is only one and it's not even that bad, I will spoiler mark it.

+ Dat face. Holy cow. The most impressive bits are when the people around you are talking. A woman on a bench chatting with a co-worker was seriously the most realistic thing I have ever seen in a game. It's simply amazing.

+ Graphics are really solid, but there are moments of slowdown, especially in residential areas. Maybe because of all the grass and flora? Lights are bright, characters are well animated, clothing moves like it should. It's good stuff.

+ Tons of little touches. Like victims nails being broken, policemen placing evidence markers when you find new clues, partner/co-workers yelling at you for stepping in a victim's blood, stepping over the victim gingerly, climbing up and down steps one by one...and actually seeing it. Stuff like that. Lots of love went into it.

+ Interrogation is SO FUN. My friend and I were like "He's telling the truth", "No, he's lying. Look at his eyes", "No, he always does that", "Oh...you're right. Look at his lips curl", "Good catch, he's lying", click lie, and high five each other for getting it right. So good.

+ Open world is there, people. You're always on a mission, but there are no time limits and you're never penalized for being late. Explore to your hearts content. Driving is so easy and almost arcadey, which I like.

+ Voices are incredible. Do not play with the subtitles on. Just watch the faces as they talk and listen. Sound design is pretty great too.

- There are a few bugs. The investigation music is supposed to stop when you find all clues, telling you to move on. Sometimes...it just keeps going. Hands clip through roofs of cars, sometimes you randomly sprint forward at 5x normal run speed (especially near vehicles), and the camera sometimes goes wonky. These are very minor.

- Minor character background spoiler:
Cole is kind of a douche. His flashbacks make him a little less likable.

- The cover system is awkward. It works, but it doesn't seem to work as well as RDR. Enemies behind cover are a joke and are always able to be shot.

- The gunplay itself is incredibly easy. We died once to see what happens. Since then we never even got shot more than once in a firefight.

- Whether you're an idiot or you do everything perfectly, the case always ends up the same. We completely fucked up one case and still succeeded. Find the single clue you need to advance, interrogate suspect, get lead, repeat. We haven't tried to COMPLETELY fuck up, but we missed half the clues and were wrong in our interrogative skills half the time during one mission.

All in all, it's good, guys. It's really good.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
hlhbk said:
LA Noire was the lead years ago because it was supposed to be a ps3 exclusive. Who knows what happened after it became a multi console game?
As someone who's worked on a number of games in the past, I can assure you that it is very rare to significantly change your primary production pipeline. If you decide to support another platform partway through, usually a studio will have a side-team focus on porting just to ensure everything works on the other console and all content is moved over. Anything else usually requires more time or people, meaning the ROI at that point doesn't make any sense.

Amir0x said:
Because literally the vast majority of this game was developed by Team Bondi and it's offensive that a forum who is in the know should have a legion of people trying to be intentionally ignorant of this fact and credit Rockstar with its quality?
To be fair, R* could have had a significant impact on the game design and story during the time they were involved. Publishers can have quite an impact in these areas depending on the contractual relationship with the dev. It's up to Bondi to implement it, of course.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Amir0x said:
Nobody is worried. We're simply eliminating FUD.

How do you know it's literally the vast majority? How do you know they didn't scrap the Sony version and send a bunch of Rockstar guys to work with them? To me it sounds like, 'oh Rockstar is evil so we shouldn't credit them'. No one got offended when people credited RDR to just Rockstar instead of Rockstar San Diego

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
- Whether you're an idiot or you do everything perfectly, the case always ends up the same. We completely fucked up one case and still succeeded. Find the single clue you need to advance, interrogate suspect, get lead, repeat. We haven't tried to COMPLETELY fuck up, but we missed half the clues and were wrong in our interrogative skills half the time during one mission.
This definitely sounds disappointing, then again it might be a bit to ambitious to think up of several different suspects for each mission. Hope there's at least some self-satisfaction in 5-starring the cases.

zlatko

Banned
Any word if the PS3 version lets you change controls at all? R2 as shoot = a no go for me so that I'd opt for 360 version instead.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Einbroch said:
Okay, now that we've played a few missions, replayed a mission, and have a pretty good grip on the game, here are some impressions (360):

All in all, it's good, guys. It's really good.

wow, thanks for this. sounds like what I was expecting

Sklorenz said:
Everybody has different needs, man. I plan to pick it up on PS3 since its my most recent of the three consoles and it needs some extra love on my games shelf, but I'm neither expecting those extra cases to beat me off nor give me a true ending. It's going to be tacked on pre-order content.

The "Consul's Traffic Case" is on-disc content permanently exclusive and FREE for all PS3 owners.

zlatko said:
Any word if the PS3 version lets you change controls at all? R2 as shoot = a no go for me so that I'd opt for 360 version instead.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V4AK8E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lafiel said:
This definitely sounds disappointing, then again it might be a bit to ambitious to think up of several different suspects for each mission. Hope there's at least some self-satisfaction in 5-starring the cases.

Achievements! I can only guess, havent looked at the list.

Also does anyone know if you can go back at anytime to redo a case and try and get 5 stars? Or do you have to have a save point to revert back to?

zlatko

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
The "Consul's Traffic Case" is on-disc content permanently exclusive and FREE for all PS3 owners.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V4AK8E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah I'm going to drop money on a fucking controller. GTFO with that shit.

I just want a simple answer since I have both consoles ready to use and don't give a shit about any fanboy bull crap. I don't like shooting with R2. If I can't change it to R1, then I'll go for the 360 version.

Amir0x

Banned
zoner said:
How do you know it's literally the vast majority? How do you know they didn't scrap the Sony version and send a bunch of Rockstar guys to work with them? To me it sounds like, 'oh Rockstar is evil so we shouldn't credit them'. No one got offended when people credited RDR to just Rockstar instead of Rockstar San Diego

We know it's literally the vast majority because we have confirmation from the development team? Because we can read and come to this conclusion based on the facts available to us?

I like Rockstar a lot. However, I'm not going to credit them with something they did which they had very little hand in.

You can choose to be ignorant but you'll just be called ignorant for it.

Tendo said:
Meh, it is just another traffic case, one that won't have anything to do with the overall plot. I'd prefer self shadows, AA, and most likely a higher res. To each his own.

So now you've just added a whole bunch of bullshit which came from your ass about the differences between the PS3 and 360 version?

That is certainly helpful!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
zoner said:
That is highly unlikely - if it did happen, word would have leaked somewhere. Hell, even I would have heard something through my contacts in the industry.

As for whether R* had additional people sent to help the devs, we'll have to wait for the credits to see. But even if they did, I would be very surprised if they did more work than Team Bondi. From my experience and from other friends at other companies, publishers don't usually send a significant number of developers to a dev unless the project's in major trouble.

Fjordson

Thanks a lot for the impressions, Einbroch. I know someone who got the game early and they also said the interrogation sequences are awesome. Apparently some of them have been surprisingly tough.

Random thought: just a caught a video from one of the streams on YouTube (already taken down) and I really, really love the Irish actor they cast as your boss. He just seems like the perfect film noir police captain.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tendo said:
Meh, it is just another traffic case, one that won't have anything to do with the overall plot. I'd prefer self shadows, AA, and most likely a higher res. To each his own.
I don't even know what you're talking about.

The 360 screenshots look exceedingly ugly. There is no actual self shadowing going on, and it doesn't even look like real AA, because the texture quality on distant objects drops off pretty dramatically.

zlatko said:
Yeah I'm going to drop money on a fucking controller. GTFO with that shit.

I just want a simple answer since I have both consoles ready to use and don't give a shit about an fanboy bull crap. I don't like shooting with R2. If I can't change it to R1, then I'll go for the 360 version.

Or, you don't complain about the same issues over and over again and use that as an excuse for DC.

Einbroch said:

Definitely the biggest minus I've heard so far. It definitely seems like it will take out some of the drama if the bad guy is always gonna get caught, and it's just a question of whether you are credited with it or not.

Amir0x

Banned
timetokill said:
Definitely the biggest minus I've heard so far. It definitely seems like it will take out some of the drama if the bad guy is always gonna get caught, and it's just a question of whether you are credited with it or not.

As long as there is a functional benefit to doing the cases better it's not a big deal to me. Although they definitely should have had better in-game implementation of the reward; i.e. better dialogue responses if you five star versus if you 1 star.

totowhoa

Banned
Tendo said:

But the PS3 sticks can go in both my holes at the same time

zlatko

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Or, you don't complain about the same issues over and over again and use that as an excuse for DC.

I've literally posted in this thread 2 or three times. WTF are you on about?

Would you tell a disabled gamer complaining about not wanting to shoot with R2? Seriously WTF is wrong with you? Does Sony give you some paycheck to make sure every copy of any third party game sold is for their console?

I'm not trying to come off hostile here, but your replies have been counter productive to the original and extremely simple question I asked. You don't need to chuck random shit at me to hock off a 36 dollar controller I don't want and don't need.

Does the game let you change R2 to R1 to shoot? It's a simple yes/no question.

Amir0x

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
I don't even know what you're talking about.

The 360 screenshots look exceedingly ugly. There is no actual self shadowing going on, and it doesn't even look like real AA, because the texture quality on distant objects drops off pretty dramatically.

Dude is just making up cons.

Stop listening to these people seriously. There will be a comparison later but there is no way there is a massive difference between these two games. PS3 version will either be close or better, with the other benefits coming from the added case and no disc swapping.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Best decision to make for people who dont absolutely need the game on release date is just wait for the comparison sites to do their thing.

Besides, on amazon price is likely to drop on release date and if you have prime shipping will still be free. Sucks to miss out on the 15$ credit though. Hope monday the reviews come out.

Gacha-pin

zlatko said:
I've literally posted in this thread 2 or three times. WTF are you on about?

Would you tell a disabled gamer complaining about not wanting to shoot with R2? Seriously WTF is wrong with you? Does Sony give you some paycheck to make sure every copy of any third party game sold is for their console?

I'm not trying to come off hostile here, but your replies have been counter productive to the original and extremely simple question I asked. You don't need to chuck random shit at me to hock off a 36 dollar controller I don't want and don't need.

Does the game let you change R2 to R1 to shoot? It's a simple yes/no question.

nobody knows, good bye

Einbroch

Banned
timetokill said:
To be completely fair, if you do everything right you get WAY more out of the case. You meet new characters and sympathize with or hate characters more.

There's a really disturbing one that is completely missable and makes you absolutely HATE a certain character. I was like "what the hell..." when I discovered it.

Here's another supposed comparison with the 360 version on the left and PS3 on the right.. PS3 looks better here, but it could also be backwards... we'll just have to wait.

RFR2C.png%20%28xbox%20is%20left;%20ps3%20is%20right%29

LProtag

Einbroch said:
To be completely fair, if you do everything right you get WAY more out of the case. You meet new characters and sympathize with or hate characters more.

There's a really disturbing one that is completely missable and makes you absolutely HATE a certain character. I was like "what the hell..." when I discovered it.

Ah, so basically you get more story out of it if you do better.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Remij said:
Here's another supposed comparison with the 360 version on the left and PS3 on the right.. PS3 looks better here, but it could also be backwards... we'll just have to wait.

RFR2C.png%20%28xbox%20is%20left;%20ps3%20is%20right%29
This is the reverse of the other ps3/360 comparison. Also, different angles here.

jackdoe

Amir0x said:
Dude is just making up cons.

Stop listening to these people seriously. There will be a comparison later but there is no way there is a massive difference between these two games. PS3 version will either be close or better, with the other benefits coming from the added case and no disc swapping.
Haha. There honestly shouldn't be much of a difference. Because let's face it. If the PS3 version was significantly worse than the 360 version, that wouldn't be the platform that Rockstar and Team Bondi would show off in all their promotional material (RDR had exclusive content for the PS3 and marketing dollars from Sony and we didn't see a peep out of it until launch because it was significantly worse). And the 360 version should be pretty much the same as the PS3 version since Team Bondi probably didn't pull a Square Enix and half-ass the job (the fact that the game takes three discs suggests that corners were not really cut).

Fjordson

Einbroch said:

That actually sounds pretty neat. I'm almost tempted to start scouring San Francisco for an early copy tonight/tomorrow morning. I need this game now.

And damn people, we already saw the 360 streams today and it looked fine. You'll be okay no matter the version.

lucius

So if this game bombs (75% lower ratings, not likely) do I lose my $5 I preordered at Gamestop if I decide not to pick it up?

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but I never decided not to pick up a preorder before and don't know the policy, only 5 bucks though.

Sklorenz said:
Joke's on you? lol

Well, seeing how I prefer the Xbox 360 controller layout, I'm not going to complain without getting it straightened out.

I'm also not going to stoop so low as to not get the best bang for my buck.

lucius said:
So if this game bombs (75% lower ratings, not likely) do I lose my $5 I preordered at Gamestop if I decide not to pick it up?

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but I never decided not to pick up a preorder before and don't know the policy, only 5 bucks though.

No. It can just be applied to another game.

The Lamp

It would seem that release-date delivery is back on Amazon. I just ordered my PS3 copy of LA Noire and it let me pick free release-date delivery (I have student Prime).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The Lamp said:
It would seem that release-date delivery is back on Amazon. I just ordered my PS3 copy of LA Noire and it let me pick free release-date delivery (I have student Prime).

Sweeeet just switched mine over to it, didnt have to cancel and reorder just change delivery speed.

graywolf323

Enduin said:
Sweeeet just switched mine over to it, didnt have to cancel and reorder just change delivery speed.

mine won't let me change over and Amazon customer service has twice tried to tell me it's because I pre-ordered back before the release date was known

essentially the idiot CS is telling me sorry but you ordered too early :|

jackdoe

graywolf323 said:
mine won't let me change over and Amazon customer service has twice tried to tell me it's because I pre-ordered back before the release date was known

essentially the idiot CS is telling me sorry but you ordered too early :|
Is it one of the outsourced CS? Cause there is a significant drop in quality and you'd be better off trying again and hoping for a better rep.

graywolf323

jackdoe said:
Is it one of the outsourced CS? Cause there is a significant drop in quality and you'd be better off trying again and hoping for a better rep.

two different people on two different days same result

I might try again but honestly 2 day shipping might get here on Tuesday as well as long as they get it out Monday

edit: actually I'll try sending an email now

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I was mentioning something quite sly that I got a PM on regarding these screenshots to a friend on Steam. I would wait for a proper comparison before finding vindication in buying either version. If they are both bound to be the same, get that exclusive case and 1 disc on PS3. As with any other multiplatform release, don't look for excuses to not buy a version of game unless it's a multiplayer game. Somehow I feel that whatever version is "worse" the game will still be as good despite such a difference.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
graywolf323 said:
two different people on two different days same result

I might try again but honestly 2 day shipping might get here on Tuesday as well as long as they get it out Monday

You could always just make a dummy account and reorder it and see if you can get release day shipping and then cancel your current order. I wouldnt put much stock into it arriving on tuesday with 2 day cause I had 1 day shipping before and they were estimating it to arrive on the 19th and Amazon estimates have almost always been spot on for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LiquidMetal14 said:
don't look for excuses to not buy a version of game
This would be my suggestion to all of you. Just buy what you want. Reading the tortured rambling is so difficult. We'll have comparisons soon enough.

LiquidMetal14 said:
As with any other multiplatform release, don't look for excuses to not buy a version of game unless it's an multiplayer game.

That's right. Before, the excuse was "online service A is better than online service B", but now since that particular excuse cannot be used for this game, people have to resort to the old "controller" complaint, as if we didn't already know what their agenda is.

Me personally, if I purchase an inferior version over the better version, that would pretty much tell the manufacturer of a certain gaming hardware that I am the type of person who says “Thank you sir, may I have another?” in terms of a long line of inferior gaming experiences. Examples of what I mean include Dead Space 2, Mortal Kombat, and Portal 2.

If I don't want an inferior gaming experience (in terms of the content available in my games), I don't buy the inferior version. In other words, I don't cut off my nose to spite my face... and I always make sure that I get the best value for my money.

Top Bottom