• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Snuggler said:
I think it's a sign of deep seated sociopathic rage. It's like what I would do if I were dropped into a world with no real consequences for my actions.

it's kinda dark now that I think about it

Dark and glorious. But most of these games are built around doing that, notably GTA and SR series and RDR in a lot of ways, with others to a lesser extent like Mafia 2. I think its more telling when people talk about how in Oblivion or FO3/NV they kill everyone in the world.

jackdoe

Snuggler said:
I think it's a sign of deep seated sociopathic rage. It's like what I would do if I were dropped into a world with no real consequences for my actions.

it's kinda dark now that I think about it
It's really just cartoonish violence. The rag doll animations when running over pedestrians in GTAIV are so unrealistic and goofy that people don't equate it to the real world. But if you add in real life physics and actually show real gore and blood that comes with these types of car accidents, then people probably wouldn't be so keen to do it (and the ESRB would be keen to give it an AO rating).

jackdoe said:
It's really just cartoonish violence. The rag doll animations when running over pedestrians in GTAIV are so unrealistic and goofy that people don't equate it to the real world. But if you add in real life physics and actually show real gore and blood that comes with these types of car accidents, then people probably wouldn't be so keen to do it (and the ESRB would be keen to give it an AO rating).

The Euphoria animations in GTAIV are actually the MOST realistic I've encountered in these type of games to the point where I avoided most of the nonsense I used to do in the other GTA games unless I was in Free Mode online. The way people limp from limb specific shots, get pulled alongside the car, or flail around after being hit would make going on killing sprees a bit weird for me after a while. I much preferred to just let the world do it's own thing with me sticking my foot in every once in a while to trip something up. Same for RDR except the wild animals in that game justified, and allowed me to kill stuff without feeling like a closet madman.

In fact, the only open world games where I go out of my way to do maniacal stuff are the completely over the top ones like Saints Row, and Just Cause. The peds in those games are completely "videogame" to the point where shocking someone with defibrillators over and over, or hooking someone to a plane, respectively, was just dumb fun.

As for LA Noire, I don't feel like I'll ever need to be reckless in this game. Doing that with a character like Phelps would only serve to remove me from the experience.

MMaRsu

hlhbk said:
Just stop what? Dude I have all the consoles and couldn't care less what system I play a game on as long as I get the best experience possible. I am just posting facts.

To the person that asked yes Oblivion was significantly better technically on 360

Don't listen to this guy, obviously he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sethos

Banned
It's so sad. We finally get a investigative game and even get to play as cops - That comes with certain restraints so it doesn't just fall apart and people are already pissing and moaning about it. Go play GTA instead if you want sandbox.

Radogol

Linkified said:
Huh that doesn't seem like alot of missions. :/

Impossible to tell until we play it. A lot of stuff can happen during an investigation - it's not like GTA where a mission usually takes place over the course of an hour or so.

Theorymon

I will admit that I'm a tiny bit disappointed in the fact that I won't be able to go on an optional killing spree like I do in Grand Theft Auto. Granted, I won't play like that in the first play through, but I don't give a fuck about "immersion", plus I like the idea of having something to do after I 100% the game besides replay cases (of course there could be an awesome extra after you beat the game, but I'm not counting on it).

Regardless, the investigation stuff has me fucking pumped! I love adventure games, and I've never played one with a film noir setting before! I'm most certainly gonna pick this up on Tuesday. The only real issue I have atm is that since PSN is down, that means that I'm not going to be able to download my preorder stuff until May 31st, right? Or does redeeming codes not require the Playstation Store? (I haven't used PSN in fucking ages, so I'm clueless)

zomaha

Dries said:
Actual gameplay screenshots are being posted now? Time for me to get out of this thread till release!

That's what I told myself a few days ago when early copies started surfacing, but I can't help but find myself coming back to take a peek. Same with RDR.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Theorymon said:
I will admit that I'm a tiny bit disappointed in the fact that I won't be able to go on an optional killing spree like I do in Grand Theft Auto.

Who knows, there might be a cheat that allows you to do just that. It is a Rockstar game after all so maybe they allow it with a code or something.

That said even if that isn't the case LA Noire is easily my most anticipated game since well, for a long time - next up The Last Guardian.

Mr_Brit

Banned
According to Beyond 3D forum, at least the 360 version probably runs at 720p/2xMSAA. I'd be very surprised if the PS3 ran lower than that.

MMaRsu

SnowTeeth said:
Who knows, there might be a cheat that allows you to do just that. It is a Rockstar game after all so maybe they allow it with a code or something.

That said even if that isn't the case LA Noire is easily my most anticipated game since well, for a long time - next up The Last Guardian.

It's not a R* game, it's a Team Bondi game published by R*.

This game WONT have a cheatcode which will make you be able to go on a rampage.

I don't understand why people want this regardless. Christ do you need to be able to kill peds in every free roam game?

Amir0x

Banned
SnowTeeth said:
Who knows, there might be a cheat that allows you to do just that. It is a Rockstar game a TEAM BONDI game after all so maybe they allow it with a code or something.

Fix'd that for you.

I am so glad you can't go on a spree. That'd kill the atmosphere and world logic this title has going for it. Best decision they made. Not developing for the lowest common denominator ftw.

Truant

Seems to be the same as RDR, then.

Since Witcher is out soon, I will put this on hold until the verdict is down on the definitive version, graphics wise. Don't care about the disc swapping at all.

Theorymon

MMaRsu said:
It's not a R* game, it's a Team Bondi game published by R*.

This game WONT have a cheatcode which will make you be able to go on a rampage.

I don't understand why people want this regardless. Christ do you need to be able to kill peds in every free roam game?

Well for me, its just that I like as many gameplay options as possible for free roaming games. Of course, L.A. Noire is looking to be a much more linear game than say, Grand Theft Auto, so I'll probably be too focused on the cases to care about killing random people anyways. Still though, it doesn't hurt to have the option to do another thing after the main game is done!

MMaRsu

Theorymon said:
Well for me, its just that I like as many gameplay options as possible for free roaming games. Of course, L.A. Noire is looking to be a much more linear game than say, Grand Theft Auto, so I'll probably be too focused on the cases to care about killing random people anyways. Still though, it doesn't hurt to have the option to do another thing after the main game is done!

You're confusing freeroam with sandbox.

Theorymon said:
Still though, it doesn't hurt to have the option to do another thing after the main game is done!

It kinda does. It ruins the theme, the experience and what the game set out to do in the first place.

Sethos

Banned
Theorymon said:

Yes it does.

Theorymon

MMaRsu said:
You're confusing freeroam with sandbox.

I guess I am mixing the two up. I don't get why people are against more gameplay options for after the main game is done, but I'll drop it since its not even an issue for this game, and I'm sure I'll love it regardless of what you can do after getting 100%.

Amir0x

Banned
Theorymon said:
I guess I am mixing the two up. I don't get why people are against more gameplay options for after the main game is done, but I'll drop it since its not even an issue for this game, and I'm sure I'll love it regardless of what you can do after getting 100%.

Because it's a option that goes against the logic of the game world. You're a cop, not a crooked cop, but a cop. A cop does no go on a rampage, he solves crimes. It does not make sense to go to such great lengths to create this atmosphere and believable character and then allow wholesale slaughter of people in the world.

A more important question is: Why do you want to do that so bad? What would be the point? You have tons of sandbox games that allow that.

Theorymon

Amir0x said:
Because it's a option that goes against the logic of the game world. You're a cop, not a crooked cop, but a cop. A cop does no go on a rampage, he solves crimes. It does not make sense to go to such great lengths to create this atmosphere and believable character and then allow wholesale slaughter of people in the world.

A more important question is: Why do you want to do that so bad? What would be the point? You have tons of sandbox games that allow that.

I don't care too much, notice that I said that I'm only slightly disappointed, I didn't mean to make it into a debate.

On a totally different note, did Rockstar / Team Bondi give a specific timeline for when that preorder stuff is going to be dlc? If I recall, it took ages for the same to happen to RDR. Speaking of DLC, this is one of the few games where I think DLC could be really cool. If the DLC cases are as meaty as the regular cases are supposed to be, It could really add a lot of value to the game as long as the DLC isn't outrageously priced!

Amir0x

Banned
Theorymon said:
I don't care too much, notice that I said that I'm only slightly disappointed, I didn't mean to make it into a debate.

On a totally different note, did Rockstar / Team Bondi give a specific timeline for when that preorder stuff is going to be dlc? If I recall, it took ages for the same to happen to RDR. Speaking of DLC, this is one of the few games where I think DLC could be really cool. If the DLC cases are as meaty as the regular cases are supposed to be, It could really add a lot of value to the game as long as the DLC isn't outrageously priced!

apparently they have two whole desks full of unused cases. that is a lot of DLC. it's coming

Theorymon

Amir0x said:
apparently they have two whole desks full of unused cases. that is a lot of DLC. it's coming

Holy fuck, this game keeps finding ways to get me more and more hyped! Now I just have to resist the urge to see all these streams, I really don't want to spoil myself, but I want more info...

SMH at people shitting on the open world elements.

So rather than being immersed in culture and nostalgia you'd rather have linear, sectioned-off levels?

You're beyond saving.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah Im watching Part 1 cause I already watched that first 15 minutes that got pulled so its the same stuff. And the 360 version looks fantastic and smooth so far. Ill be real surprised if theres any significant difference between the PS3 or 360 versions.

Grinchy

Banned
Enduin said:
Dark and glorious. But most of these games are built around doing that, notably GTA and SR series and RDR in a lot of ways, with others to a lesser extent like Mafia 2. I think its more telling when people talk about how in Oblivion or FO3/NV they kill everyone in the world.

Speaking of acting out in twisted ways in Fallout...I had just gotten one of the whores from that pimp's house. I took her to my Megaton home, and left her in my room. On the day she decided she was going to leave and walk to Rivet City, she was on her way down the steps and I pulled out my nail gun. I shot a bolt through the back of her head, which stuck her head to the wall. Her body tumbled down the steps.

I then laid her body out on my work bench and cut off each of her limbs. I left the mess there until it disappeared. Her head seemed to be stuck in the wall for a long time.

....so running over a few people can't be so bad, right?

Theorymon

Okay fuck it, its time to bail out of this thread until I beat the main storyline, because if I don't Im gonna end up spoiling the game for msyelf... man leaks like this can be so bittersweet for plot based games!

Micerider

Mr_Brit said:
According to Beyond 3D forum, at least the 360 version probably runs at 720p/2xMSAA. I'd be very surprised if the PS3 ran lower than that.

Hmm why?

Both GTA IV and RDR are running worse on PS3. Rockstar's Rage engine has been known for being most at ease on the 360.

watkinzez

Not too interested in this at the moment, but it's really cool to see such a hyped-up game made by an Australian developer. Hopefully people pronounce it the right way, too ('eye', not 'ee')!

Forsete

I cant stop myself.. watching these videos. UUURGH. :(

Btw, I am glad Sony let this game go. I doubt it would have that "polished Rockstar" feeling without the help of... Rockstar. Ifyanowhaddamean.

Top Bottom