• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Dries

Micerider said:
Hmm why?

Both GTA IV and RDR are running worse on PS3. Rockstar's Rage engine has been known for being most at ease on the 360.

Because the PS3 was the lead platform for which LA Noire was designed.

But the games releases on tuesday in the US, right? I think by that time we'll be getting real answers and comparisons about the whole ''which version is better'' issue.

protonion

JAVK said:
Don't watch those videos, the guy playing is a retard. He will make you rage.

I could not believe it took him so long to solve that puzzle. I was shouting at my screen!
The videos blew me away. I'll make some calls to get it tommorow...

Forsete

Why are you guys so worried? Rockstar wouldn't have shown the PS3 version (IIRC, it has been the only version which has been shown by them) if it was so inferior.

The slight differences in GTA4/RDR between the versions was enough for them not to show the PS3 versions. This is another story.

Calm down.

Micerider

Dries said:
Because the PS3 was the lead platform for which LA Noire was designed.

But the games releases on tuesday in the US, right? I think by that time we'll be getting real answers and comparisons about the whole ''which version is better'' issue.

Yes, better wait for the reviews indeed. I'd honestly rather play it on my PS3 but I was a bit scared when comparing with other "open-world" multiplat games as well. Now the lead console should certainly have a head-up in developement.

Autofokus

Forsete said:
Why are you guys so worried? Rockstar wouldn't have shown the PS3 version (IIRC, it has been the only version which has been shown by them) if it was so inferior.

The slight differences in GTA4/RDR between the versions was enough for them not to show the PS3 versions. This is another story.

Calm down.

And it's not running on RAGE, so any tech comparison with GTA4/RDR is moot.

rvy

Banned
Not sure how I feel about gameover when you kill a civilian. It makes sense from a story standpoint, you're a cop, you're supposed to enforce the law... but I like freedom.

Edit, never mind, it's the partner. I'm OK with this, lol.

Autofokus said:
And it's not running on RAGE, so any tech comparison with GTA4/RDR is moot.

There's some RAGE engine in the game, the manual states that. We don't know to what extend. It could be that Bondi used the RAGE engine and modified it to fit the MotionScan technology.

Or it could be the streaming technology for the world or something else entirely.

Micerider

rvy said:
Not sure how I feel about gameover when you kill a civilian. It makes sense from a story standpoint, you're a cop, you're supposed to enforce the law... but I like freedom.

Maybe they are not aiming for freedom. It would actually make sense to branch out of the regular "open-world" game to feed gamer with a more scripted, yet vast, experience, providing a little more focus on a streamlined, but nevertheless rich, experience.

And as you pointed, it makes sense "in character", and I would honestly consider that as an enhancer for immersion.

Hmm, I'm really curious now...talking about freedom and gameplay, I'm slowly realising that, despite numerous previews, I still can't really assess the game's main focuses.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
rvy said:

Edit, never mind, it's the partner. I'm OK with this, lol.

Hmm I thought it gameovered with civilians too, maybe not. Though I dont think a reprimand will really cover murdering a civilian without cause.

It would be cool if they did something like they had in RDR where everyone gangs up on you and a posse eventually comes after you and in the case of LA Noire your partner would try to arrest you and if you resisted then a shit ton of other LAPD would come and try to take you down.

At first you can run away or try and take out those coming after you but eventually you'll get overwhelmed and unable to escape and you'll either get shot or arrested. After that they could then have a quick 10 second clip at your funeral or in a court house and the judge saying "Cole Phelps, you are a disgrace to the uniform and an insane son of a bitch(well something a bit more eloquent than that), you are hereby sentenced to 25 years to life..."

I would find that to be far more immersive than prohibiting players from shooting civilians or showing a game over screen if you run one over.

AwShucks

Vinterbird said:
There's some RAGE engine in the game, the manual states that. We don't know to what extend. It could be that Bondi used the RAGE engine and modified it to fit the MotionScan technology.

Or it could be the streaming technology for the world or something else entirely.

The manual actually states "Parts of RAGE engine are used"? Or are you simply referring to the RAGE Tech Group credits which don't imply that RAGE is used at all and only says exactly what it says, that those guys worked on the game in some fashion.

AntiTout

Honestly I don't know if I'll buy this, I didn't complete GTAIV and RDR. Plus I'm disappointed by the same old graphics, exept the faces of course. I don't know.

AwShucks said:
The manual actually states "Parts of RAGE engine are used"? Or are you simply referring to the RAGE Tech Group credits which don't imply that RAGE is used at all and only says exactly what it says, that those guys worked on the game in some fashion.

What does the RAGE Tech Group credit say other then that RAGE would have been used for the game?

Not trying to be snarky, honest question. Does that label have to appear as soon as it a Rockstar published title, or does the RAGE engine have to be present on the actual game code?

AntiTout said:
Honestly I don't know if I'll buy this, I didn't complete GTAIV and RDR. Plus I'm disappointed by the same old graphics, exept the faces of course. I don't know.

Good thing its got nothing in common with GTA or RDR, and it is not developed by Rockstar.

Not gonna watch any of those streams.

Anyway...tomorrow will be a good day, we’ll get the IGN review and then hopefully the floodgates will open for all other reviews too.

I’ve got a feeling that tomorrow we’ll get some decent comparisons from credible sites too, so that should be good. **goes to bed**

faridmon said:
Is there any reason why ''Developed by Team Bondi'' added to the title apart from them developing it?

A lot of people were talking like it was developed by Rockstar and leaving Team Bondi out of it almost exclusively.

Shurs

Amir0x said:
Because it's a option that goes against the logic of the game world. You're a cop, not a crooked cop, but a cop. A cop does no go on a rampage, he solves crimes. It does not make sense to go to such great lengths to create this atmosphere and believable character and then allow wholesale slaughter of people in the world.

A more important question is: Why do you want to do that so bad? What would be the point? You have tons of sandbox games that allow that.

Maybe, in GTAIV fashion, we'll eventually get a meaty downloadable episode wherein you play the role of a criminal who can go on run and gun down NPCs.

chris-013

Shit I never finished GTA4 and RDR but it seems I will finish this game in 2 days. I love detective shows !

Edit : I own the PS3/360 do you know already if the game runs better on one ?

Shurs said:
Maybe, in GTAIV fashion, we'll eventually get a meaty downloadable episode wherein you play the role of a criminal who can go on run and gun down NPCs.

They could. But it would be so different from what the main game is, and what the player presumably likes, that it wouldn't fit well with the overall theme of the game.

But hopefully we will get some substantial DLC. I would love playing from a private detective point, where you are going up against not only the criminal, but also the regular police force.

Patrick Bateman said:
I'm really interesting in this game, but I wonder how the whole thing will turn out technically. :/
Especially on the PS3.

All official media has been from the PS3 version. It's safe to say they wouldn't be using an inferior looking version to show off the game in commercials and such.

Fjordson

Vinterbird said:
But hopefully we will get some substantial DLC. I would love playing from a private detective point, where you are going up against not only the criminal, but also the regular police force.
That would be bloody fantastic. Keep the core investigation elements, but add a new twist to the narrative and the player's role.

Shurs

Vinterbird said:

I always wanted an open world game where you play as a bounty hunter, using clues to capture criminals with a heavy action-oriented element when you actually had to catch them. Any time you crossed the line you'd have to also deal with the police.

As far as the DLC goes, yeah, it's probably a stretch. Then again, who would have anticipated the Undead Nightmare DLC for Red Dead Redemption when that game was in development?

Shurs said:
As far as the DLC goes, yeah, it's probably a stretch. Then again, who would have anticipated the Undead Nightmare DLC for Red Dead Redemption when that game was in development?

Thats true. Anything could potentially go for the DLC.

Hopefully Rockstar/Bondi is smart and does something episodic or the like, and makes good use of the very segmented case structure the game has.

I am so hyped for this game, but not enough to be at the point where I'm unable to resist clicking on links to gameplay vids. Screw that, I want the experience to be completely fresh and new to me. The only game where the hype and temptation was so overwhelming on a personal level was Heavy Rain. I ended up watching the first 10 minutes of it about 2 weeks before launch, and I always did regret it.

Dynamic3

Joe Shlabotnik said:
The $15 gift card is only included if you pre-ordered before May 12. Still, $11 off is nice.

No, it comes in digital form had you preordered before the 12th, now they ship you a card.

Shows $48.99 but jumps to $59.99 when it hits your cart. :(

Edit: Called the 800 # and they honored the 48.99 price!

Vinterbird said:
Thats true. Anything could potentially go for the DLC.

Hopefully Rockstar/Bondi is smart and does something episodic or the like, and makes good use of the very segmented case structure the game has.

I can see DLC being easy money for this game, I wonder if rockstar had the actors sign a contract for future DLC? I can see that being there only problem.

iNvidious01 said:
for UK gaf cheapest price is £31.99 from sainsburys using voucher code JSGA2005

That's a really tempting offer, but if I stick with ShopTo I'll hopefully get the game by Wednesday as they always dispatch earlier than other retailers. Thursday at the latest. If I go with Sainsburys, I'll probably have to wait until Friday. Hmm, decisions.

Speedymanic said:
It's not running on RAGE, it's running on a proprietary engine.

Go watch that video that's linked a couple posts up from yours and tell me that's not running on some type of modified version of RAGE, they even mention RAGE in the Manual for the game. ;p Proprietary engine my ass.

Outtrigger888 said:
I can see DLC being easy money for this game, I wonder if rockstar had the actors sign a contract for future DLC? I can see that being there only problem.

The DLC have probably already been produced, or at least recorded for MotionScan and VO.

Solo

Radogol said:
Impossible to tell until we play it. A lot of stuff can happen during an investigation - it's not like GTA where a mission usually takes place over the course of an hour or so.

An hour or so? I can't recall a single mission in any GTA game that took longer than maybe 15 minutes, tops.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Go watch that video that's linked a couple posts up from yours and tell me that's not running on some type of modified version of RAGE, they even mention RAGE in the Manual for the game. ;p Proprietary engine my ass.
Brendan McNamara previously worked on the Getaway and recruited Team Bondi's first employees from that team, so I think it's fair to say that Team Bondi have their own pedigree in terms of open-world engines. It's a bit misleading to say that "they even mention RAGE in the manual": the RAGE team only gets a mention in the credits, and we don't even know in what capacity they consulted on LA Noire. There are many ways their expertise could have been leveraged that have nothing to do with the actual RAGE engine itself.

faridmon said:
Is there any reason why ''Developed by Team Bondi'' added to the title apart from them developing it?

One of the reasons is because people keep using Rockstar as a reason why the Xbox 360 version is "guaranteed" to be the better version, despite all official media being of the PS3 version. PS3 was also lead platform.

Sethos

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
despite all official media being of the PS3 version. PS3 was also lead platform.

It's like having trained a parrot and it keeps repeating the same shit over and over again, we hear this line on every page now.

Sethos said:
It's like having trained a parrot and it keeps repeating the same shit over and over again, we hear this line on every page now.

We also keep seeing statements like "I'll be buying the Xbox 360 version because Rockstar has a history of making their games better on the Xbox 360" on every page now.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
We also keep seeing statements like "I'll be buying the Xbox 360 version because Rockstar has a history of making their games better on the Xbox 360" on every page now.
The 360 version runs at 720p/2xMSAA, that means the PS3 version probably runs the same as they wouldn't use it to show off their game otherwise.

Amir0x

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
One of the reasons is because people keep using Rockstar as a reason why the Xbox 360 version is "guaranteed" to be the better version, despite all official media being of the PS3 version. PS3 was also lead platform.

No. That's not why it was changed.

The only reason it was changed was because people kept wrongly misappropriating the development of this game to Rockstar instead of Team Bondi. It has nothing to do with system warz.

Anyway, the game was DEVELOPED BY TEAM BONDI, not Rockstar, so GAFers should realize this by now. We don't need it in the topic any longer. Ignorance loses another day.

God GAF keeps me awake sometimes.

Kintaco

Shurs said:
How about you play the part of a corrupt cop instead, that way most of the gameplay stays intact, but then you can also go rogue.

Top Bottom