• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

iNvid02

Acquiescence said:
That's a really tempting offer, but if I stick with ShopTo I'll hopefully get the game by Wednesday as they always dispatch earlier than other retailers. Thursday at the latest. If I go with Sainsburys, I'll probably have to wait until Friday. Hmm, decisions.

Shopto are pretty great, ordered a few 360 accessories and they came next day.
Pre-orders used to be delivered early but they're not anymore, all of mine get delivered on release day which is fine.

But if you want the game 1-3 days early then GAME are pretty good for that, albeit a bit more expensive

C Jones

Dynamic3 said:
No, it comes in digital form had you preordered before the 12th, now they ship you a card.

Shows $48.99 but jumps to $59.99 when it hits your cart. :(

Edit: Called the 800 # and they honored the 48.99 price!
Yup, you can order now and get the gift card.

When I ordered the price did not change in the cart so I didnt have to call, but they still didn't send me a confirmation email yet.

Mr_Brit said:
The 360 version runs at 720p/2xMSAA, that means the PS3 version probably runs the same as they wouldn't use it to show off their game otherwise.

Not unless Sony retained some kind of advertising exclusivity, which has happened with other games.

At any rate...it is unfortunate that I came in after last night hoping to find some good conversation about this game and all I see is 6 pages of console warz bullshit. Disappointing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
fastford58 said:
Not unless Sony retained some kind of advertising exclusivity, which has happened with other games.

At any rate...it is unfortunate that I came in after last night hoping to find some good conversation about this game and all I see is 6 pages of console warz bullshit. Disappointing.

This has nothing to do with console wars. People can't decide which version they should get. They want to know which version is better. I can't see any system wars bullshit.

fastford58 said:

Game looks stunning, no matter the console it's on. :) Tuesday can't come soon enough for me, I'm dying to play this game!

TheOddOne said:
I am booked for exams for the next three week. Its nice to be me, you guys are so lucky.

You have my sympathy. I'll give a perp an extra smack for ya when I get my hands on the game. :)

Sethos

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
This has nothing to do with console wars. People can't decide which version they should get. They want to know which version is better. I can't see any system wars bullshit.

Exactly, if this was about console preference you wouldn't even consider both versions?

iNvidious01 said:
Pre-orders used to be delivered early but they're not anymore, all of mine get delivered on release day which is fine.

But if you want the game 1-3 days early then GAME are pretty good for that, albeit a bit more expensive

They still deliver early for me :S Last thing I got from them was Portal 2, and it came through the letterbox two days prior to the official release date. They're not the cheapest option for L.A. Noire, but if it arrives two days earlier then I'd say that's an extra £5 (compared to Sainsburys) well spent. I just want the game!

Sethos

Banned
iNvidious01 said:

I hate ShopTo, their database breach caused me a ton of grief with people buying plane tickets with my CC :p

Sethos said:
Exactly, if this was about console preference you wouldn't even consider both versions?

It honestly doesn't matter. We've seen enough of the PS3 version (and the 360 version from leaked footage) that it's pretty safe to say that even if the game was built on a backbone of RAGE code that the differences between the two versions are negligible and that the game will look awesome on your console of choice. Buy whichever version works best for you.

Truant

Games cost over $100 where I live. I want to know which version is the best, even if the difference is marginal without someone telling me I shouldn't care. I think it's a fair request.

Amir0x

Banned
The difference between the two technically is going to be quite small since PS3 was the lead platform; so you're really going to be deciding based on controller preference, achievement/trophy preference, the bonus case the PS3 has and the disc swapping issue.

You can quite intelligently make a decision based on this information right now.

Sethos said:
I hate ShopTo, their database breach caused me a ton of grief with people buying plane tickets with my CC :p

It wasn't their fault though was it? Thought it was the company the used to handle CC orders? And I think they have since changed the company anyway.

On topic - a friend text to say he has it. Might go round to play it, I've already spoiled it with YouTube vids.

Sethos

Banned
Lonewolf_92 said:
It honestly doesn't matter. We've seen enough of the PS3 version (and the 360 version from leaked footage) that it's pretty safe to say that even if the game was built on a backbone of RAGE code that the differences between the two versions are negligible and that the game will look awesome on your console of choice. Buy whichever version works best for you.

I honestly have no idea what you've seen and I haven't. We have seen streams, trailers most likely using old textures / code so that's null and void. No stream and no non-direct comparisons will be able to tell you what matters; Framerate throughout, during action etc. the crispness of the textures, the streaming engine and even shadow issues.

For the regular Joe, that probably isn't an issue but when you are very aware of it and care about it, then it will be a problem. I don't spend thousands of dollars each year to upgrade my PC and hours tweaking a single game for the fun of it, I do it because I want it to look the best - Same with my console games.

Some might not care, I certainly do.

woodsey1982 said:
It wasn't their fault though was it? Thought it was the company the used to handle CC orders? And I think they have since changed the company anyway.

On topic - a friend text to say he has it. Might go round to play it, I've already spoiled it with YouTube vids.

It was ShopTo's site that was compromised and you type in your CC and merge it with your account. Hate those systems :/

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Amir0x said:
The difference between the two technically is going to be quite small since PS3 was the lead platform; so you're really going to be deciding based on controller preference, achievement/trophy preference, the bonus case the PS3 has and the disc swapping issue.

You can quite intelligently make a decision based on this information right now.

Well said. I feel like most people are missing this. It really does boil down to console preference at this point.

DryvBy

Solo said:
An hour or so? I can't recall a single mission in any GTA game that took longer than maybe 15 minutes, tops.
He must be playing darts with Roman every time he calls during a mission.

Amir0x said:

Exactly. I'm sure that even the most cantankerous of critics will find it very hard to find a fault between the two that would cause them to say one version is superior to the other.

Truant

Amir0x said:

I think it's too hard to tell right now. One of them might have dithering, which is hard to spot in videos. Stuff like that makes me want to vomit. I'll just wait for the DF analysis.

xbox version compared to trailer. The shadows look worse.

3waL8.jpg

Sethos

Banned
I'm eagerly waiting comparisons but those crappy comparisons between a stream and a trailer, old footage and some random screenshot is beyond useless.

iNvidious01 said:
so when do LoT/DF do the comparison, these comparisons from compressed trailers are irritating?

Sometimes it can take a couple of days after release.

Big Ass Ramp said:

Yeah, it looks like he got a warning immediately, lol. Are we being stalked by Rockstar employees in this thread?

Decay24

Neo Member
I wonder if the advertised $10 dollar gc at Best Buy will be available to instore pick up orders. If so then that would be awesome.

Sethos

Banned
We need a heroic every-day player to compare them directly via same capture method, not holding my breath for the DF/LoT comparisons.

Sethos said:
We need a heroic every-day player to compare them directly via same capture method, not holding my breath for the DF/LoT comparisons.

Typically, the every-day player doesn't have the tools and/or has an agenda.

So no. Wait for the journalists to do the work.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Are we being stalked by Rockstar employees in this thread?

I think it's definitely a possibility that they are watching this thread. Hell, if it were my job to get those streams removed, this is certainly the place I'd watch.

Sethos

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Typically, the every-day player doesn't have the tools and/or has an agenda.

So no. Wait for the journalists to do the work.

What? Happens with every big game, people that does some HD capture and / or screenshots of both versions. Even some written comparisons would do.

iNvid02

i did some screen caps for the kz3 beta when i had a capture card but i sold it
pretty sure someone will do the same thing, its pretty easy

Pyccko

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Are we being stalked by Rockstar employees in this thread?

Pretty sure the same thing happened back when RDR came out. Streams would get shut down minutes after being mentioned in the thread.
So yeah, Rockstar probably are watching us.

iNvid02

i bet all devs lurk gaf at some point.

edit: apparently you can still see stuff thats hidden between email tag, but im not sure how

On the subject of DLC, anyone hoping to see some new desks added? Seems like it would make total sense for Robbery, Bunko (fraud), and Narcotics to be added to the lineup and they would give us more cerebral kind of cases to crack. In fact I'm kind of surprised Arson made it but not Robbery.

BeeDog said:
People should hide URL's between E-mail tags so R* lurkers don't shut them down immediately.

Did you see the work that Rockstar did with GTA4 YouTube videos and streams? You can try to hide them but they'll find them in a very short amount of time.

Terraria tomorrow, Witcher 2 and LA Noire on Tuesday, and Wednesday, Thursday, Friday plus the weekend off. Awesome.

Has there been any further word on the Play Pass type thing that apparently comes with the game?

Mik2121

ferr said:
Wow that looks not so great by comparison. I wonder how the PS3 version compares.
Weren't the original trailers taken from the PS3? That should be how the PS3 looks, or at least close to it.

Either way, it could be that the game was acting funny at that moment and it was still all low-res. It wouldn't be the first time that happens in a game...

styl3s

rhino4evr said:
Oye vey with this shit

There has been nothing online that states one game plays or looks better then the other. Other then the typical console cheerleader nonsense.

The few folks that do have a copy of LA Noire..don't have a copy of both to even compare.

We have confirmation from the development team that the PS3 is the lead platform, I know this is hard for some of you folks to deal with, but really I'm sure the 360 version will be just as amazing.

Buy whatever version you want based on your own needs and shut up already.
butthurt much?

we all know the 360 version is going to come out the winner in terms of this ignorant and silly comparison, but the real winners are the people who just buy the fucking game and play it.

tired of people bitching

Sn4ke_911 said:

Posting up bullshit comparo images and arguing the plausibility of such ridiculousness is console wars bullshit.

styl3s said:
butthurt much?

we all know the 360 version is going to come out the winner in terms of this ignorant and silly comparison, but the real winners are the people who just buy the fucking game and play it.

tired of people bitching

Way to stop the warz...

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna choose the 360 version because I'm a blind fanboy.

Top Bottom