• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Sethos

Banned
Guess I just owned myself by ordering this then, with no customizable controls - Now I'm seriously considering going back to the 360 version.

SFIMG00005640.jpg

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm very glad that I've been on a pseudo-media blackout for this title. Only the official trailers and nothing more.

I'm actually planning on doing the midnight launch thing, even though I've previously sworn that off due to my age and prestige. ;)

Amir0x

Banned
Shurs said:
Like Heavy Rain.

No, because L.A. Noire actually has gameplay. Also you actually have to use deductive reasoning to come to conclusions, the answers are not spoonfed to you like in Heavy Rain.

It's ok, Shurs. Now that L.A. Noire is coming out, people can stop pretending Heavy Rain was ever acceptable. Everybody wins :D

Sorry if this is a dumb question because I haven't really been keeping up with the game, but do we know of the action/investigation ratio? I'm not a huge shooter fan, but I'm curious about the adventure aspects and I'm getting a bit of a Heavy Rain vibe which I really liked.

Amir0x said:
No, because L.A. Noire actually has gameplay. Also you actually have to use deductive reasoning to come to conclusions, the answers are not spoonfed to you like in Heavy Rain.

It's ok, Shurs. Now that L.A. Noire is coming out, people can stop pretending Heavy Rain was ever acceptable. Everybody wins :D

LMAO

Peff

cosmicblizzard said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question because I haven't really been keeping up with the game, but do we know of the action/investigation ratio? I'm not a huge shooter fan, but I'm curious about the adventure aspects and I'm getting a bit of a Heavy Rain vibe which I really liked.

Doesn't look like there's too much, given that you can't actually draw the gun outside of the scripted shootings. There's even an option to skip action sequences and most enemies apparently die from a single shot or two. Still, there'll probably be a couple of big setpieces with many enemies in a room full of columns.

rvy

Banned
Does the main campaign work out like GTA and Red Dead where you can freely explore the city after the credits? I don't want another Mafia II on my hands. And yes, I'm well aware that this isn't GTA or Red Dead, but surely there are side-missions, random crimes and extra activities...?
Hyped regardless.

Merguson

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Enlighten me please of their history?

Wiki shows nothing notable.

I'm not sure why people are expecting others to know of Team Bondi.

It's a studio formed in 2003 that hasn't released a single title yet.

EDIT: Also, I'm assuming this game has subtitles, am I wrong in that assumption?

Peff said:
Doesn't look like there's too much, given that you can't actually draw the gun outside of the scripted shootings. There's even an option to skip action sequences and most enemies apparently die from a single shot or two. Still, there'll probably be a couple of big setpieces with many enemies in a room full of columns.

Interesting. I can handle a couple big shooting sequences if I like the investigations and stuff. Guess this is on my radar now.

Goldrusher

Amir0x said:
You're a lot more annoying than the people you're always forcing to acknowledge Heavy Rain wasn't a game.

Shurs

Amir0x said:
Can't be too careful around here, Shurs. Some people actually like Heavy Rain abomination.

I liked it, but I'm not going to try and convince you that you should like it too.

Heavy Rain is flawed, obviously. You have made some very valid points as to why you don't like it, which I'm not certainly not discounting.

Knowing your disdain for the game, I made the joke. I don't really think that L.A. Noire looks similar.

RS4-

cosmicblizzard said:
Interesting. I can handle a couple big shooting sequences if I like the investigations and stuff. Guess this is on my radar now.
Yeah, no shooting unless it's part of the case or event.

Would be nice if it allows you to do so in free roam mode (if there is one)

Trickster

vidal said:
No, it's very surprising. Very surprising. I could understand calling it a Rockstar game despite knowing that Team Bondi made it, but not hearing of Team Bondi until now? Here, on GAF? Very surprising.

Some reasons would be nice, because I feel that I gave valid reasons why it's not surprising. Do people gaf spend a lot of time talking about developers that haven't made any games normally? Because I've not seen those threads so far personally.

shuyin_

Banned
Merguson said:

EDIT: Also, I'm assuming this game has subtitles, am I wrong in that assumption?
They released not one, but two titles. The Getaway series.

Stampy

Amir0x said:

After finishing the game, I am really interested if you will still have such a strong opinion that this game doesn't spoon feed you (though not as insulting as HR), but still in one way or another. Please do remember, after finishing the game, to touch upon this aspect.

iNvid02

marketing i guess, i see it almost everywhere i look online. granted i've only been looking at gaming related stuff for a while but still

Fjordson

Plasmid said:
Okay so, if Team Bondi developed the game, what has R* contributed?
Probably lots of things on the non-technical side. Was just listening to an interview with Lazlow earlier this week from Opie & Anthony. He was talking about all of the research he had to do for L.A. Noire, how he helped craft the radio stations and how he directed some of the cast.

IGN also has an interview/podcast they did a month or two back with the "art director for the game" Rob Nelson, who's worked on RDR and GTA IV. Though he said in the interview that he's far from the sole art director, so he's probably not the main guy.

Amir0x said:

-_-

Solo

Plasmid said:

Obviously a ton. Look at everything about the game, presentation-wise. It all reeks of Rockstar, and I mean that in a very good way.

Amir0x

Banned
Plasmid said:

According to Team Bondi, Rockstar was a big help in getting the game up and running on the 360 since Team Bondi didn't have a lot of experience with Xbox. So I suspect they probably provided money to expedite the development process and also provided key technical help to port the game to 360 effectively.

Team Bondi is responsible for everything else - from the noir/hard-boiled style, to the facial recognition technology, to the free roaming foundation and case/interrogation system. All ideas, gameplay systems and concepts were developed and conceived by Team Bondi. It's a Team Bondi game.

Stampy said:
After finishing the game, I am really interested if you will still have such a strong opinion that this game doesn't spoon feed you (though not as insulting as HR), but still in one way or another. Please do remember, after finishing the game, to touch upon this aspect.

I obviously will. I'm playing with that garbage Intuition system turned off, of course, so you won't get my opinion on that.

Sethos

Banned
Amir0x said:
According to Team Bondi, Rockstar was a big help in getting the game up and running on the 360 since Team Bondi didn't have a lot of experience with Xbox. So I suspect outside of money, they probably provided money to expedite the development process and also provided key technical help to port the game to 360 effectively.

And general expertise to make the game more streamlined and user-friendly I'd say, looking at how similar the interface is to Rockstar's other games and knowing Team Bondi's / Soho's previous title, The Getaway was a brutal game for the more casual player.

Amir0x

Banned
Sethos said:
And general expertise to make the game more streamlined and user-friendly I'd say, looking at how similar the interface is to Rockstar's other games and knowing Team Bondi's / Soho's previous title, The Getaway was a brutal game for the more casual player.

Yeah, perhaps. I could see Rockstar streamlining the interface to be more user friendly.

shuyin_ said:
They released not one, but two titles. The Getaway series.

I've never heard of Team Bondi until the past few weeks, and they didnt develop the Getaway, Team Soho did. The founder of team Bondi was a director for the getaway but they did not make it.

Sethos

Banned
CrazyDude said:
When do reviews start to come in?

Tomorrow they'll slowly start to trickle in, that's when the embargo ends. All depends when each site decide to release them and I'm not quite sure when exactly the embargo ends tomorrow.

Einbroch

Banned
Amir0x said:
I obviously will. I'm playing with that garbage Intuition system turned off, of course, so you won't get my opinion on that.
What do you mean by intuition system? The clue-finding vibrate? If you turn that off all you're going to be doing is walking alongside walls jamming A/X. I don't find that fun nor challenging. Do you mean the system that removes one option (truth, doubt, lie)? Just don't use it, and half the time it doesn't even help. You know the person is lying but you don't know if you have the proof. So you use intuition, and it removes truth. It doesn't help.

It's like Who Wants to be a Millionaire. The contestant goes "I know it's not A or C...let's use 50/50" and the computer removes A and C. Random, my ass.

I just don't see what you would gain by not using all the tools available to you. Yeah, using it during an interogation may be cheap, but I see no reason to remove the vibrate-when-near-a-clue option. Hitting A/X over and over isn't fun.

Unless you're not talking about that. In that case, nevermind.

shuyin_

Banned
bucknuticus said:
I've never heard of Team Bondi until the past few weeks, and they didnt develop the Getaway, Team Soho did. The founder of team Bondi was a director for the getaway but they did not make it.
I thought Soho = Team Bondi. My bad

nib95

Banned
Amir0x said:
Can't be too careful around here, Shurs. Some people actually like Heavy Rain abomination.

I liked it. But instead of being condescending towards people with opposing opinions, I just accept that everyone has different tastes.

Anyway, I should have my copy of this in the next day or two.

Captain N

I switched my pre-order from 360 to PS3 today. I cannot wait to play this game on Tueday. My plan is to put on my headphones, get my son to sleep and play for a couple of hours.

UrbanRats

Sethos said:
Guess I just owned myself by ordering this then, with no customizable controls - Now I'm seriously considering going back to the 360 version.

SFIMG00005640.jpg
I was thinking of buying one, but i heard they have noticable inputlag or something, what do you say?

Fjordson

Sethos said:
Tomorrow they'll slowly start to trickle in, that's when the embargo ends. All depends when each site decide to release them and I'm not quite sure when exactly the embargo ends tomorrow.
Hilary Goldstein said IGN's review will be up Monday Morning.

I've heard the embargo lifts at 12 PM EST tomorrow, so hopefully that's the case.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Merguson said:

Ah okay so I got trolled.

Also, Ami's replies in this thread are hilarious, and strangely getting me hype for this game, even though I wasn't planning on buying it D:

Oh god not the hype train, it's too soon D:

Sethos

Banned
UrbanRats said:
I was thinking of buying one, but i heard they have noticable inputlag or something, what do you say?

I heard quite the opposite actually. A guy I know had the first version, without rumble support and he said it was just like playing natively on the Xbox 360. I then scoured the great ole' YouTube for some videos and while many of them didn't mention input lag whatsoever ( Figuring it couldn't be much of a problem then? ) I found one where he mentioned it and said there was none.

Ordered it tonight, so should ship out tomorrow and I'll have it by Tuesday - Should be able to give you a conclusive answer by then :)

Fjordson said:
Hilary Goldstein said IGN's review will be up Monday Morning.

I've heard the embargo lifts at 12 PM EST tomorrow, so hopefully that's the case.

Sounds good!

Shurs

Einbroch said:
What do you mean by intuition system? The clue-finding vibrate? If you turn that off all you're going to be doing is walking alongside walls jamming A/X.

There are visible clues, no?

enzo_gt said:
Also, Ami's replies in this thread are hilarious, and strangely getting me hype for this game, even though I wasn't planning on buying it D:

Oh god not the hype train, it's too soon D:

hahaha, personally i'll wait for the word of mouth, yep just gonna wait -closes amazon window- yep. (sadly I'd have to wait anyway even if i wasn't waiting for impressions since i'm not stateside right now :( )

Top Bottom