• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

BeeDog

While it's not likely, let's say the game receives middling scores tomorrow (e.g. the 6-7/10 range), will most of you stick to your pre-orders (thanks to the game's novelty or something else), or will you cancel them?

Shurs

Einbroch said:
Some are so small and so hidden it's kind of funny. Like, shirt button size.

I don't like the sound of that.

I'd rather find evidence and clues using my own intuition rather than with controller prompts.

BeeDog said:
While it's not likely, let's say the game receives middling scores tomorrow (e.g. the 6-7/10 range), will most of you stick to your pre-orders (thanks to the game's novelty or something else), or will you cancel them?

I'm staying with it. It's gonna be a long summer and I have nothing to do.

Sethos

Banned
BeeDog said:

I'm sticking to it, mainly because I know it won't bomb but I'd like for the game to do well in any case, show other developers that it's a genre we'd like explored

Einbroch

Banned
Shurs said:
I don't like the sound of that.

I'd rather find evidence and clues using my own intuition rather than with controller prompts.
Some are really cool, but some...wow. Not a spoiler at all, but some will complain:
there's a key on the ground in the corner of a room. You cannot see it, it's so small and the graphics can't render it except for a tiny grey dot if you look straight down at it.

I would have not found it without the system.

ummo

Banned
CrazyDude said:
How many hours have you played so far?

Planet earth hours, around 8 or 9, i saw the swap disc screen and i was like "already?" then watched the clock and "oh, ok is reasonable..."

The way that cases resolves is so complex and interesting, you just want to play and play to see what's goin to happen next,

I was involved in 80% of side missions so far, i expect around 30 hs to get it mostly done.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ummo said:
Planet earth hours, around 8 or 9, i saw the swap disc screen and i was like "already?" then watched the clock and "oh, ok is reasonable..."

The way that cases resolves is so complex and interesting, you just want to play and play to see what's goin to happen next,

I was involved in 80% of side missions so far, i expect around 30 hs to get it mostly done.
How does the mission retry work? Are you asked if you want to retry for higher points after you solve a case, or can you go back to any case in the game at any time?

Dynamic3

Peff said:
Doesn't look like there's too much, given that you can't actually draw the gun outside of the scripted shootings. There's even an option to skip action sequences and most enemies apparently die from a single shot or two. Still, there'll probably be a couple of big setpieces with many enemies in a room full of columns.

Wait, so you can't pull out your weapon and shoot randoms in between missions?

Fjordson

Thanks for the impressions, Ummo and Einbroch.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there any footage of gameplay with the black & white option turned on out there?

UrbanRats

Sethos said:
I heard quite the opposite actually. A guy I know had the first version, without rumble support and he said it was just like playing natively on the Xbox 360. I then scoured the great ole' YouTube for some videos and while many of them didn't mention input lag whatsoever ( Figuring it couldn't be much of a problem then? ) I found one where he mentioned it and said there was none.

Ordered it tonight, so should ship out tomorrow and I'll have it by Tuesday - Should be able to give you a conclusive answer by then :)
Thanks!
I'll put it in my Amazon wishlist anyway.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Peff said:
Here you go. I'll edit with translations.

EDIT:

Game
-----Musical cues (whether or not the music fades after you find all clues)
-----Clue hints (rumble/flashes)
-----Skip action sequences
Controls
-----Invert Y Axis
-----Aiming assists
-----Sensitivity
Sound
-----Music
-----Effects
-----Dialogue
Subtitles
-----Derp
Display
-----Black & White mode
-----Brightness
Camera
-----Automatic
-----Movement (not sure what these do)
Thanks man, much appreciated!!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
ummo said:

How is the framerate and popup ummo? Better than RDR?

BeeDog said:

I'll stick with it.

BeeDog said:

I'd still stick with my pre-order. I need to take a break from multiplayer gaming and I'm looking for a new single player game to start anyways.

DryvBy

Got the Shakes said:
I'd still stick with my pre-order. I need to take a break from multiplayer gaming and I'm looking for a new single player game to start anyways.
I needed one too. The PSN forced me to take a break. It literally was perfect timing.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Apologies if this has been asked.

For those in the know (and I'm guessing it's only a minority that will have played it yet) - is it possible to turn off the vibration and chimes that go off to hint when you're close to a clue?

BeeDog said:

i'll definitely stick with it and keep it after i finish it. mostly because the way the game is described and from what i have seen it's my dream game. there's little/nothing like this out there right now, and if the only good thing we get out of it is more noir/detective games i'll be happy.

Amir0x

Banned
nib95 said:
I liked it. But instead of being condescending towards people with opposing opinions, I just accept that everyone has different tastes.

I accept everyone has different tastes, obviously! That doesn't mean liking Heavy Rain isn't going to draw ire! It's such a bad game one has to take a little joy in dissecting its awful components. Give a man his pastimes, won't ya?

Einbroch said:
What do you mean by intuition system? The clue-finding vibrate? If you turn that off all you're going to be doing is walking alongside walls jamming A/X. I don't find that fun nor challenging. Do you mean the system that removes one option (truth, doubt, lie)? Just don't use it, and half the time it doesn't even help. You know the person is lying but you don't know if you have the proof. So you use intuition, and it removes truth. It doesn't help.

It's like Who Wants to be a Millionaire. The contestant goes "I know it's not A or C...let's use 50/50" and the computer removes A and C. Random, my ass.

I just don't see what you would gain by not using all the tools available to you. Yeah, using it during an interogation may be cheap, but I see no reason to remove the vibrate-when-near-a-clue option. Hitting A/X over and over isn't fun.

Unless you're not talking about that. In that case, nevermind.

The point is that in real life I won't have any of this stuff helping me deduce whether someone is lying or telling me whether something is a clue. I'd have to look at the crime scene, make an intelligent determination about what fits and what doesn't and then apply what I've learned about the environment, the crime and the suspects to piece a picture of what happened together.

I do not want my hand held. I am a smart guy and I want to actually apply my deduction skills with no help from the game.

And thankfully, L.A. Noire allows me the option to avoid that. That's one of the better aspects :)

Qaz Kwaz said:
It means that you guys are defending and touting this developer like I've never seen before. I'd expect to be blown for that kind of support.

I think most people just want credit to go where it's due.

Amir0x

Banned
Qaz Kwaz said:
It means that you guys are defending and touting this developer like I've never seen before. I'd expect to be blown for that kind of support.

Uhm, you give a developer credit when they make something and you don't give a developer credit when they don't.

It's that simple. It's a sign of respect. We're all intelligent people here and ignorance is actively discouraged.

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
LyleLanley said:
I think most people just want credit to go where it's due.

I just don't understand why everyone cares so much. It literally has zero effect on any of your lives (unless you or your family works for them).

Funtruck

Banned
Amir0x said:
Uhm, you give a developer credit when they make something and you don't give a developer credit when they don't.

It's that simple. It's a sign of respect. We're all intelligent people here and ignorance is actively discouraged.
The whole "Team Bondi's LA NOIRE" thing is pretty fucking annoying though..

You don't see the developer name in any other OT so it shouldn't be in this one.

Qaz Kwaz said:
I just don't understand why everyone cares so much. It literally has zero effect on any of your lives (unless you or your family works for them).

We're all posting on a video game forum, clearly we have an appreciation for the people who work in this industry. Like any other art form people should be celebrated for their craft.

Edit:
Funtruck said:

You don't see the developer name in any other OT so it shouldn't be in this one.

To be fair though, most other games don't have people confused as to who is actually developing the game.

Einbroch

Banned
Qaz Kwaz said:
You're right. How foolish of us to discuss a video game developer on a video game forum.

It's the same reason why people love/hate Kojima, Sega, or any other person or company.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Qaz Kwaz said:
I think you're miscalculating how much we care bro.

Grinchy

Banned
Juno said:
is it possible to turn off the vibration and chimes that go off to hint when you're close to a clue?
Opus Angelorum said:

Oh nice. I haven't played it yet, so I don't know if this is truely the way I'd want to play, but I assume I would have much more fun with the hints off.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Funtruck said:

People are constantly saying R* made this game, and have been in past LA Noire threads. You don't see it in other threads because there's never nearly as much confusion as there is with this one.

MMaRsu

Funtruck said:

What's so fucking annoying about it :\

Einbroch

Banned
Funtruck said:

The Tales of series has teams. Some people don't generally like Team Symphonia while others don't like Team Destiny. I don't like Team Symphonia and wait until reviews to determine whether I will purchase the game or not. Team Destiny games are day one for me.

Some people don't like GTA and some don't like RDR. It's good to know who's making the game. If you like this one, you'll be more inclined to like other Team Bondi games. If you don't, then look at the next time R* publishes a game and hope it's not this team.

Grinchy

Banned
Holy shit when can we drop the Team Bondi thing...

It is important to note that Rockstar did not create this game. It isn't important to discuss whether it's important any further. (imo)

ummo

Banned
chubigans said:
How does the mission retry work? Are you asked if you want to retry for higher points after you solve a case, or can you go back to any case in the game at any time?

you can retry when you die, or any key character involved dies such as a hostage, partner, or a suspect with the mandatory order to keep it alive, this retry method transport you to last checkpoint, not the mission begging necessarily

if you success the mission with, let's say 50% of the clues founded or 50% answers right, the mission just ends, giving you a one to five stars and a certain amount of xp points, if you want to retry a mission you have to do it from pause menu.

Fjordson said:
Thanks for the impressions, Ummo and Einbroch.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there any footage of gameplay with the black & white option turned on out there?

i said before about a grainy and noir atmosphere when you enable it, but i was wrong (maybe that mission in particular was kinda dark) the B&W mode is just a 0% saturation palette., feels nice to play like that anyway

godhandiscen said:
How is the framerate and popup ummo? Better than RDR?

360, the framerate drops sometimes when you encounter many enemies in opem street sequences, nothing to worry about, RDR in 360 was great, the PS3 port was pretty poor in this aspect.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Papercuts said:
People are constantly saying R* made this game, and have been in past LA Noire threads. You don't see it in other threads because there's never nearly as much confusion as there is with this one.

well it does have that R* look to it, even if they only picked it up late.

Grinchy said:
Holy shit when can we drop the Team Bondi thing...

It is important to note that Rockstar did not create this game. It isn't important to discuss whether it's important any further. (imo)
Didn't Rockstar assist Team Bondi during the development of it though?

Trickster

LyleLanley said:
To be fair though, most other games don't have people confused as to who is actually developing the game.

That's really because normally people don't care enough about who the actual developer is. I'll bet you that many of the games people consider an activison or ea game, are not made by them, just published.

Zertez

BeeDog said:
Id still stick with it. While Im interested in the game part of it, Im just as interested in the reproduction of 47 LA. Im sure I will spend hours just driving around looking at the sites. I dont think it is possible they will get 6/7 scores, outside a few reviewers, no matter if the game is mediocre or not. It will get an extra point or two just because Rockstars name is attached to it in some way.

Funtruck

Banned
Shifting all the credit to Team Bondi is pretty fucked up as well, R* clearly played a role in developing this game aswell.

There's simply no reason to have Team Bondi in the thread title, no other game OT has the developer(s) name in the thread title and it's already in the OP..

plus it looks freaking stupid

Top Bottom