• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

I don't think the choices should have been so black and white, especially when it is one wrong answer that can end the interrogation (and reset it).

What they perhaps should have done is used the gathered evidence differently.

After each answer it should give a percentage of probability that it's either the truth, doubtful or a lie based on the evidence you have. if you haven't gathered a lot of evidence the percentages are similar, making an educated guess hard. If you have gathered most/all of the evidence, the percentages are clearer.

duxstar

Are there any reviews out there for this??? I've been avoiding this game like the plague assuming it's going to be like every other rockstar game .......... as in it gets rave reviews and then I fucking hate it and get super bored in about an hour (LOL GTA 4 a 10) . However it kind of seem's like it might just might be my cup of tea .... So even though the actual scores don't matter I kind of want to get a feel for what the game is about ....... I love Mass Effect because of the conversations you have between your squadmates and the conversation decisions ......... is the main gameplay like this ???? It seems like thats what they are focusing on but i can just see it in my head where you do these investigations and then all the sudden your flung into this GTA 4 open world where most of the gameplay goes on until you hit the next "conversation" peice

Trickster

BattleMedic said:
I had no idea this was coming out so soon.

I had no idea this game was the next rockstar game and open world until today. So my day became much better than it would have been otherwise :D

It's funny, the exact same thing happenend with Red Dead Remdemption for me. Can't complain though, I avoid the long painful wait that most other people deal with :p

cgcg

Gacha-pin said:

Quite bit of framerate issue in open space. Some weird juddering during few cutscenes.

Remij said:
xbox version compared to trailer. The shadows look worse.

3waL8.jpg

That's a huge difference in shadow resolution..The 360 version has worse textures as well. Look at the close-up on the metal pipe.

Lkr

i read the OP, and I'm a bit confused about the disc swapping still. i can go anywhere for free roam on any of the discs, and only have to switch for certain cases? i'm trying to decide which platform to get it on :\

bengraven

Lkr said:
i read the OP, and I'm a bit confused about the disc swapping still. i can go anywhere for free roam on any of the discs, and only have to switch for certain cases? i'm trying to decide which platform to get it on :\

Sounds like it's story based. Get to a certain part of the story, start using the next disc.

Boot up using that disc and you can play - however if you start a new game you'll have to put in disc 1.

rhino4evr

Watched some of the gameplay.,.wonder if there will be shortcuts between locations. Driving around in GTA4 got pretty boring quickly. I ended up just taking taxis everywhere. In the video the guy has to drive all the way across town to visit a suspect...the driving looked really boring.

Einbroch

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Watched some of the gameplay.,.wonder if there will be shortcuts between locations. Driving around in GTA4 got pretty boring quickly. I ended up just taking taxis everywhere. In the video the guy has to drive all the way across town to visit a suspect...the driving looked really boring.
You can have your partner drive to locations, which is basically a teleport. The screen fades to black and you appear at your location.

Cth

rhino4evr said:

I flipped through the hint guide, I'm pretty sure they made mention of something like that.

ColonialRaptor said:
Q Can I shoot people/run people over/cause mayhem like in GTA?
A Free-form anarchy is not something a good detective is rewarded for - running over a pedestrian while on a case or causing public damage or harm will lower your end-of-case rating. And, a detective who pulled out his weapon any time other than in the line of duty would not be on the force for long.
I'm a little confused about this. Can you can still go mental? I'm guessing the all investigations are cancelled but what happens if you let time pass after your rampage?

BattleMedic said:
I'm a little confused about this. Can you can still go mental? I'm guessing the all investigations are cancelled but what happens if you let time pass after your rampage?

From what we gather, you can't go mental (and thanks Team Bondi for that).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Come on Amir0x, what's wrong with leaving that statement in the title? Only having it in the title for 30 minutes isn't going to solve the ignorance.

Lol, and having it in the title didn't help either. Quite a few people were still referring to it as a game made by Rockstar. It is what it is.

Einbroch

Banned
BattleMedic said:
Having played it for 4 hours, you cannot go mental. You can't shoot people, it's similar to Mass Effect in that your reticle goes grey and you can't fire on friendlies. You CAN run people over, but you don't lose. They also dodge, but sometimes they don't get out of the way. You simply get "injury" costs at the end of the mission that effect your star ranking. You may be able to run over tons of people and fail, but I've run over 3+ people in less than 2 seconds and I didn't fail.

Einbroch said:
Having played it for 4 hours, you cannot go mental. You can't shoot people, it's similar to Mass Effect in that your reticle goes grey and you can't fire on friendlies. You CAN run people over, but you don't lose. They also dodge, but sometimes they don't get out of the way. You simply get "injury" costs at the end of the mission that effect your star ranking. You may be able to run over tons of people and fail, but I've run over 3+ people in less than 2 seconds and I didn't fail.
any other impressions? how's the driving and shooting mechanics/controls?

Einbroch

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
any other impressions? how's the driving and shooting mechanics/controls?
Driving is arcadey and simple, shooting is like RDR but the lock on system/autoaim is toned down a bit.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm getting more and more tempted by this Rockstar-developed game. I'm glad that Rockstar developed it too, since it means that it's a game developed by Rockstar.

Seriously though, this game is right up my alley, and that's not a weak pun based on one of the only gameplay snippets I've seen.

Einbroch

Banned
Quoting for people who weren't here last night:

Einbroch said:
Okay, now that we've played a few missions, replayed a mission, and have a pretty good grip on the game, here are some impressions (360):

NO SPOILERS, DON'T WORRY. There is only one and it's not even that bad, I will spoiler mark it.

+ Dat face. Holy cow. The most impressive bits are when the people around you are talking. A woman on a bench chatting with a co-worker was seriously the most realistic thing I have ever seen in a game. It's simply amazing.

+ Graphics are really solid, but there are moments of slowdown, especially in residential areas. Maybe because of all the grass and flora? Lights are bright, characters are well animated, clothing moves like it should. It's good stuff.

+ Tons of little touches. Like victims nails being broken, policemen placing evidence markers when you find new clues, partner/co-workers yelling at you for stepping in a victim's blood, stepping over the victim gingerly, climbing up and down steps one by one...and actually seeing it. Stuff like that. Lots of love went into it.

+ Interrogation is SO FUN. My friend and I were like "He's telling the truth", "No, he's lying. Look at his eyes", "No, he always does that", "Oh...you're right. Look at his lips curl", "Good catch, he's lying", click lie, and high five each other for getting it right. So good.

+ Open world is there, people. You're always on a mission, but there are no time limits and you're never penalized for being late. Explore to your hearts content. Driving is so easy and almost arcadey, which I like.

+ Voices are incredible. Do not play with the subtitles on. Just watch the faces as they talk and listen. Sound design is pretty great too.

+ Playing well and interrogating correctly open up new paths to solve the cases. While the end result is always the same, playing well unlocks more "game", if that makes sense.

- There are a few bugs. The investigation music is supposed to stop when you find all clues, telling you to move on. Sometimes...it just keeps going. Hands clip through roofs of cars, sometimes you randomly sprint forward at 5x normal run speed (especially near vehicles), and the camera sometimes goes wonky. These are very minor.

- Minor character background spoiler:
Cole is kind of a douche. His flashbacks make him a little less likable.

- The cover system is awkward. It works, but it doesn't seem to work as well as RDR. Enemies behind cover are a joke and are always able to be shot.

- The gunplay itself is incredibly easy. We died once to see what happens. Since then we never even got shot more than once in a firefight.

- Whether you're an idiot or you do everything perfectly, the case always ends up the same. We completely fucked up one case and still succeeded. Find the single clue you need to advance, interrogate suspect, get lead, repeat. We haven't tried to COMPLETELY fuck up, but we missed half the clues and were wrong in our interrogative skills half the time during one mission.

All in all, it's good, guys. It's really good.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Grinchy said:
I'm getting more and more tempted by this Rockstar-developed game. I'm glad that Rockstar developed it too, since it means that it's a game developed by Rockstar.

Seriously though, this game is right up my alley, and that's not a weak pun based on one of the only gameplay snippets I've seen.
...snicker

Any impressions of gameplay without using the clue indicators? I feel like I need to turn them off straight away to get the full experience of this game.

Grinchy said:

CarefulNowCrop.jpg

Einbroch said:
Quoting for people who weren't here last night:

good stuff. I was on the fence until earlier today when I finally got to see some gameplay.. this gives me a little more confidence in my pre-order. I keep telling myself I'm not gonna get games at full price and then I go and do it again. oh well.. looking forward to Tuesday!

Amir0x

Banned
Grinchy said:

groan. I know you're joking but can we not encourage the ignorants around here?

Einbroch

Banned
matics said:
good stuff. I was on the fence until earlier today when I finally got to see some gameplay.. this gives me a little more confidence in my pre-order. I keep telling myself I'm not gonna get games at full price and then I go and do it again. oh well.. looking forward to Tuesday!
I'm planning on picking mine up at full price for the PS3 on Tuesday, and I've already seen/co-played 5/21 cases. That tells you how good it is.

rdrr gnr

Maybe Team Bondi not releasing any 360 footage for comparison is part of LA Noire's meta-game. Where obsessed Gaffers scavenge and analyze all of the internets to deduce what version they should preorder. The 3-disc conundrum was put there intentionally to mislead people; to assume one version is better than the other.

MuseManMike said:
Maybe Team Bondi not releasing any 360 footage for comparison is part of LA Noire's meta-game. Where obsessed Gaffers scavenge and analyze all of the internets to deduce what version they should preorder. The 3-disc conundrum was put there intentionally to mislead people; to assume one version is better than the other.

They have released footage. On XBL Marketplace, the promo videos are all 360 footage.

Top Bottom