• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Radogol

Trickster said:
That's really because normally people don't care enough about who the actual developer is. I'll bet you that many of the games people consider an activison or ea game, are not made by them, just published.
They obviously care if they say things like "Rockstar, yay! Imma gonna be a gangster!" or "Rockstar, nay! It'll be shit on PS3!"

To be fair though, most other games don't have people confused as to who is actually developing the game.

You guys are acutally going to hurt sales by doing this though. Its better if people think Rockstar made the game.

Red Dead Redemption > The Getaway

Plus the fact is they had a hand in development. I remember reading that they actually put Max Payne 3 and some other projects on hold to help Team Bondi finish and polish the game.

Drahcir

Apologies if this has been asked, but are there any random crimes that may occur at any given time between missions that you can stop?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Funtruck said:
Shifting all the credit to Team Bondi is pretty fucked up as well, R* clearly played a role in developing this game aswell.

There's simply no reason to have Team Bondi in the thread title, no other game OT has the developer(s) name in the thread title and it's already in the OP..

plus it looks freaking stupid
It's two extra words, relax. It's just directed to those who think it's as much of a Rockstar game as RDR and GTA is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
alr1ghtstart said:
well it does have that R* look to it, even if they only picked it up late.

Yeah, the confusion seems apt since by all respects it's basically just like every other rockstar game pre-release, with all footage being hammered down on, the presentation of the trailers and such.

Trickster said:
That's really because normally people don't care enough about who the actual developer is. I'll bet you that many of the games people consider an activison or ea game, are not made by them, just published.

Yeah, but we're not talking about the general public, we're talking about people posting on a gaming forum. I'd be surprised if most people on Gaf didn't know that many activision/ea games aren't always developed by them.

Funtruck said:
Shifting all the credit to Team Bondi is pretty fucked up as well, R* clearly played a role in developing this game aswell.

There's simply no reason to have Team Bondi in the thread title, no other game OT has the developer(s) name in the thread title and it's already in the OP..

I feel like this argument is going in a circle...

Mifune

Mehmber
Scott32020 said:
Didn't Rockstar assist Team Bondi during the development of it though?

Of course they did.

Not to mention that it is Rockstar's gazillions of dollars that makes the facial animation tech possible. It's doubtful that too many companies would invest so much money in tech for a non-shooter.

Yes, Team Bondi developed it, but with an important assist from R*. With someone different handling the publishing, it's likely LA Noire would be a very very different experience.

Radogol

Anticitizen One said:
You guys are acutally going to hurt sales by doing this though. Its better if people think Rockstar made the game.

Red Dead Redemption > The Getaway
Of course, Getaway wasn't really that good to begin with. The point is, the usual Rockstar quirks/formulas don't necessarily apply. That might be both a good thing and a bad thing.

Radogol

Anticitizen One said:
Why can't this thread be called "Rockstar Presents L.A.Noir". You know like the actual title of the game!
Only if people stop whining about Team Silent. Every Silent Hill is a Konami game, doesn't matter who developed them, right?

Radogol said:
Only if people stop whining about Team Silent. Every Silent Hill is a Konami game, doesn't matter who developed them, right?

Thats kind of a different story since all of the Silent Hill games post-Team Silent have been dogshit. L.A.Noir is a brand new IP from a brand new company that is working with and heavily funded by Rockstar to make a Rockstar style game

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Funtruck said:

Yeah, get over it. :) I like seeing credit given to the team who created the game. Yes, Rockstar also deserves credit but as a publisher they already get tons of credit and publicity.

Anyway, can't wait 'till tuesday! Yay for Amazon release date shipping. I finally decided on the 360 version after cancelling twice last week. :lol. So stupid.

Definity

I've been playing for about four hours now and the game is incredible. First thing I did was turn off aim assist and all the clues/hints. So much better that way. I like being on my own searching out clues and then seeing how well I scored at the end.

Game really is impressive with the voice acting and facial animation tech. Cases I've worked so far have been really interesting and you just want to keep playing.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm bummed that the game comes out this week but I won't be home from a business trip until next.

Between this and Portal 2 (only a couple hours in), I won't need new games for a while.

Radogol

Anticitizen One said:
Thats kind of a different story since all of the Silent Hill games post-Team Silent have been dogshit. L.A.Noir is a brand new IP from a brand new company that is working with and heavily funded by Rockstar to make a Rockstar style game
And yet, in a recent interview, McNamara said that the design doc remained pretty much unchanged since LA Noire was a Sony game. But anyway, I agree with you that the entire discussion serves no purpose at this point :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Anticitizen One said:
Why can't this thread be called "Rockstar Presents L.A.Noir". You know like the actual title of the game!
Because the only reason they do that is due to marketing and making plebians splurge. It's the same reason why there are always advertisements for movies always start with "from the makers of such-and-such" or "from the producer that brought you blah-blah-blah"

Unless you enjoy being suckered by marketers instead of giving credit where it is due.

Qaz Kwaz said:
I just don't understand why everyone cares so much. It literally has zero effect on any of your lives (unless you or your family works for them).

It matters because, as it's been fucking said 100x, give credit where it's due. It would piss me off as a developer if I saw people making it seem like R* developed this game when all they did was buy the property from Sony. Maybe they had a small hand in it but this game has been in active development as far as we know for almost 6 years, and most of that time was not with R* as publisher. Don't act like a bonehead. Of course it doesn't affect our lives but I for one don't like seeing this game being credited to R*. People care because it's intellectual property and it means something to a lot of people. Do you understand yet?

Drahcir

vehn said:
It's like when Hero came out being presented by Tarantino, everyone thought Tarantino directed it

I know people who still think Guillermo del Toro directed The Orphanage. But hey, if it gets people to watch the movie...

LQX

This is why mods should not get emotionally evolved...your drama causes more drama, now instead of talking about they game people are talking about the title of the thread.

Funtruck

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
yes, honestly i find it amazing people can argue over such a non-issue. do people really have issues with giving credit where credit is due.
my main problem is with the stupid thread title

but i'll leave it alone now

gonna go play Epic's Gears 3 MP Beta, and then afterwards maybe some Bungie's Halo Reach..than I'll probably watch some HBO's Game of Thrones.

speedpop said:
instead of giving credit where it is due.
Credit never falls in it's proper places.

Those in the forefront will always get too much credit when things go right and too little sympathy when things go wrong.

Sorry you suck (you as in "everyone") at reading comprehension that you don't know Team Bondi worked on the game. And who knows how much they worked on the game.
Love and adulation will be showered on them by the proper channels.

Nor will this matter in a couple months when Rockstar buys them anyway.

Trickster

LyleLanley said:
Yeah, but we're not talking about the general public, we're talking about people posting on a gaming forum. I'd be surprised if most people on Gaf didn't know that many activision/ea games aren't always developed by them.

There are plenty of games being published and released by publishers such as EA and Activision, that people just consider EA or Activision games, despite not being made by them (this includes gaf). Normally that's not something people care enough about to make an issue out of.

For some reason though, it's very important that we give all the credit for L.A. Noir to a developer that people have a crush on, despite of them being an unproven developer that has not released a single game for 9 years.

While I don't really care, it strikes me as odd :p

Funtruck said:

gonna go play Epic's Gears 3 MP Beta, and then afterwards maybe some Bungie's Halo Reach..than I'll probably watch some HBO's Game of Thrones.

You haven't been around that long, surely you realize each OT has to have some sort of catch-phrase, quip, witty remark in it? It just so happens that is the title for this.

Now, I will personally drop the issue as well.

Funtruck

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
You haven't been around that long, surely you realize each OT has to have some sort of catch-phrase, quip, witty remark in it? It just so happens that is the title for this.

Now, I will personally drop the issue as well.
the catchphrase was "Watchin Faces, Solvin Cases" and then "Team Bondi's" got edited in by a mod for no reason

done

This reminds me of when people got so collectively angry at Jade Raymond they decided to act like Assassin's Creed was a one person effort of PATRICE BRISEBOIS.

Grisby

Personally, I'm rooting for Team Grisby whe he finally gets his hands on Team Bondi's (a game you know that is presented by Team Rockstar's) game.

ummo

Banned
When you discover the absence of the rockstar's touch in the game, you'll appreciate the great work that bondi did.

butter_stick said:
This reminds me of when people got so collectively angry at Jade Raymond they decided to act like Assassin's Creed was a one person effort of PATRICE BRISEBOIS.

brisebois? don't you mean desilets or something.
or am i missing some in-joke?

Funtruck said:

Do you really not see a difference between those games and LA Noire? No one here is getting the developers of Gears or Halo confused with it's publisher.

I really do wish the reviews would hurry up...this thread desperately needs something new to talk about.

All these 'comparisons' and 'Team Bondi' talk is dragging this thread down. It just goes around in circles.

Funtruck said:
The whole "Team Bondi's LA NOIRE" thing is pretty fucking annoying though..

You don't see the developer name in any other OT so it shouldn't be in this one.
You don't see people repeatedly giving developing credit to people that didn't develop the game in any other OT either, so this is warranted.

I don't get how certain people ITT can get so angered over the correction of what seems to be quite a popular misconception. It's almost like they have a stake in propagating it even further.

Top Bottom