• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

disappeared said:
I'm really tempted to pick this up tomorrow, but I have the strangest feeling that it's going to be one giant hand-holding scenario. And that shit I just don't support. Maybe a good old-fashioned rental is the way to go.

So turn off the things that 'hand hold' like the vibrations and the music that plays and BINGO no hand holding - problem solved, nothing to worry about! WOW!

I prefer to be on 360 because of the controller and achievements. Don't care about disc swapping or the extra case. The only factor now is if the 360 version looks or runs any worse than PS3, which we still don't know.

ColonialRaptor said:
So turn off the things that 'hand hold' like the vibrations and the music that plays and BINGO no hand holding - problem solved, nothing to worry about! WOW!

I was talking more along the lines of the core game mechanics and narrative - you know, the stuff you can't turn off in the options menu. But sure, I'll remember to adjust the vibration. Thanks for that one.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Trickster said:
Probably yes, but also the fact that it looks weird because there's nothing anywhere near as good in games.
It looks weird because it looks inconsistent - you have characters moving around like they've swallowed a stick during gameplay, with seemingly clunky controls and linear speed camera, and then cutscene starts and it's all mocapped. But it's mocapped with mediocre looking body models that have faces applied with much more detail. Also because the method used here is smoke and mirrors that's not so difficult to see though at times. Due to it being some kind of video mapping, skin at times looks like it's floating over the face, and eyes and teeth look like stickers. I personally find facial work in Heavenly Sword still more normal looking than this, and the method used there makes more sense for high end graphics in the future, as it's the same kind of approach done for offline CG animation, with facial features actually looking full and 3D.

DrBo42

Gary Whitta said:
I prefer to be on 360 because of the controller and achievements. Don't care about disc swapping or the extra case. The only factor now is if the 360 version looks or runs any worse than PS3, which we still don't know.
Right there with you. Running out of time for my Amazon orders.

Chanser

Are you guys going to install all 3 discs in one go or install the disc when the game asks for it or are you going to just play off the disc?

Anyword on if these pre-order cases will be available to download on tuesday. Well for 360 anyways.

Chanser said:
Are you guys going to install all 3 discs in one go or install the disc when the game asks for it or are you going to just play off the disc?

Probaly install all 3, I have almost 150 gigs free and I know this will be the only thing ill be playing besides lego star wars with my daughter for awhile. My backlog is gonna be so pissed at me.

Amir0x said:
Can't be too careful around here, Shurs. Some people actually like Heavy Rain abomination.

You are such a chore at times. You're actually making me avoid this thread because of your constant and aggressive interjections. Why is everything a competition for you? LET'S JUST LOVE THE GAME AND EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE INVOLVED. :lol

Funtruck said:
That and the 360 version might end up running worse.
Damn I don't think we will ever find that out in time to take pre-orders, comparison sites usually put up their articles on the day the game comes out, sometimes days after.

Chanser said:
I like to install everything first, get it out of the way.

Chanser said:

I'm gonna install it all at once, I have plenty of room on my harddrive and I'm not going to want to do it later.

LyleLanley said:
I'm gonna install it all at once, I have plenty of room on my harddrive and I'm not going to want to do it later.
Yeah, look at it this way - when PLEASE INSERT DISC 2 pops up, you're not going to want to quit out of the game and do a ten-minute install before you can keep playing. Do all three discs before you start.

Krujo

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

What does achievements have to do with getting the xbox360 version? aren't they the same in the ps3 version or are they different?

Krujo said:
What does achievements have to do with getting the xbox360 version? aren't they the same in the ps3 version or are they different?

Some people like having it on one platform. Especially if they're trying to get their gamerscore up.

UberTag

This is the third multiplatform game I've purchased for the PS3.

The other two being Final Fantasy XIII (self-explanatory) and Burnout Paradise (actually played it on both X360 and PS3 due to it being affordable and boasting unique achievement/trophy sets on either system).

Was pushed over the top in light of this being ported to the X360 (not the other way around), the aforementioned disc swapping (which doesn't usually bother me) and the system-exclusive (at least for now) case.

Chances are I would have done the same for Mortal Kombat and/or Portal 2 but my roomies picked them up for X360 already and I can just borrow those.

Funtruck said:
Plus Achievements just feel more rewarding for me...idk why.

Oddly enough I have the same feeling. I think it has to do with the fact that I've been getting achievements for quite a few years now.

People started with achievements and built their rep or whatever.

Then Sony basically copied achievements and renamed them trophies.
You may argue semantics, but I think 50 trophies for 1 game dilutes what a trophy is.

They could have had made each "platinum" a trophy and have it mean something, be visually displayed, etc. but they just ripped MS's system so people don't generally care as much.

Dynedom

For the love of god, don't turn this into a "Trophies vs Achievements" thread.

Will pick up PS3 version, mostly because I don't have a choice (Xbox RROD'd and is beyond warranty) and also because of that exclusive case.

Dynedom said:
I'm not, I'm just talking the differences of why people don't care about trophies.

For the love of god don't overreact.

If you/anyone likes trophies cool. Some people don't.

Chanser said:

I want to install all 3 discs first, but I only have like 4 GB left on my 360 hard-drive! I’d love to know how much space each install takes up.

Krujo

Banned
Dynedom said:

Will pick up PS3 version, mostly because I don't have a choice (Xbox RROD'd and is beyond warranty) and also because of that exclusive case.

I didn't mean to. I'm sorry. I've never really cared for achievements or trophies for that matter but they are fun when they pop up on your screen.

I have a feeling my girlfriend is going to be addicted watching me play this. She loves watching ID discovery which is mostly about murder and crime cases. I usually make her shut it off because its not the most pleasant thing to watch before you fall asleep at night. I just dont like when she puts in her 2 cents while im playing because she usually ends up right and gloats about it.

LProtag

Funtruck said:
why are people watching streams?

dont you want the game to be fresh when you play it for the first itme?

Bit of wanting to see how the game plays out, a bit of just being excited and wanting to see the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tricky I Shadow said:
I want to install all 3 discs first, but I only have like 4 GB left on my 360 hard-drive! I’d love to know how much space each install takes up.

It's probably around 4-5GB per disk since they'd have to be using the full space available to need another. The third disk is likely a lot smaller unless they were bordering on needing a 4th disk.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Outtrigger888 said:
I have a feeling my girlfriend is going to be addicted watching me play this. She loves watching ID discovery which is mostly about murder and crime cases. I usually make her shut it off because its not the most pleasant thing to watch before you fall asleep at night. I just dont like when she puts in her 2 cents while im playing because she usually ends up right and bloats about it.
That must be unpleasant to sleep next too.

kaskade

Papercuts said:
It's probably around 4-5GB per disk since they'd have to be using the full space available to need another. The third disk is likely a lot smaller unless they were bordering on needing a 4th disk.
Isn't a full disc like 6.8gb or something? Now they should be able to hold even more with that new DRM thing.

low-G

Papercuts said:

If they really managed the space the DVDs might be maxed out due to the redundancy of the open world and side missions.

xxracerxx said:
That must be unpleasant to sleep next too.

Damn G and B being so close on the keyboard, just read the definition of bloats for fun and got a good laugh out of it.

The 360 version looks pretty good from the stream I was just watching. From some of the vids ive seen the city at night seems kinda dull, hope theres some night atmosphere in this city.

I am so hyped for this week! I'm picking up:

My new (used) car
The new Danger Mouse X Daniele Luppi album "Rome"
Rebuying "Discovery" - Daft Punk and The Incredibles on BR
AND LA Noire (PS3)!

Now, all I need is a callback for one of the jobs I've been trying to get and this week will be perfect :)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Tricky I Shadow said:
First 40 minutes of the game.

Be quick it won't stay up for long!
I watched all of this, and even though it spoiled the beggining of the game for me, this is the performance confirmation for the 360 version I was waiting for. I don't care if there is a better version at this point, the 360 version performs as good if not better than RDR and that's all I needed to enjoy the game.

Kintaco

Gary Whitta said:
I think deep down you know you'd be most comfortable with the 360 version. I highly doubt that the difference will be huge. I know you've been avoiding the streams but that First 40 minutes of the game link up top shows off the 360 gameplay, it might serve you well to check it out and see if it's acceptable. I think it's pointless to compare it to the PS3 version, what you should be worried about is how it runs, PERIOD. That video can answer this for you.

Truespeed said:
Can't we all just agree that this was a RockBondi or BondiRock game?

Seriously.
Rockstar isn't going to slap their name on some low quality product, they know that their name holds an extreme amount of weight.
Sam and Dan Houser are also executive producers on the game. It's gonna be a big deal.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
kaskade said:
Isn't a full disc like 6.8gb or something? Now they should be able to hold even more with that new DRM thing.

I don't think any games are just yet; Unless I'm wrong about how the update for that worked, a game needs to make sure it's using the space and I don't think LA Noire had enough time to work that out.

Low-g's post is a good point though, I forgot about the world needing to be on all 3 disks.

Top Bottom