• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Nemesis_

ColonialRaptor said:
It seems like in their minds if Rockstar wasn't the one who made it then it's not going to be Rockstar Quality or something.... I don't get it either.

I really don't think it's that big of a deal, I'd rather not have the title of my thread changed either :p

I think it's about giving the developers the credit they deserve. Sure, Rockstar had a part in it's development, but Team Bondi would've had more, I would think.

It's even more important I think in situations like, for example, Bionic Commando, where everyone assumed (as in, the general dumber public) that it was made by Capcom when it really wasn't.

So yeah. >_>

Sethos said:
That's easy, Noire.

But I really want something to play on my 3DS. >_> Also, while I enjoyed Red Dead and GTAIV a lot, I wound up wishing I'd spent my money on something else in both cases. So that's a turn off.

I wasn't asking for recommendations anyway. I'll sort this dilemma on my own. :p

Nemesis556 said:
I think it's about giving the developers the credit they deserve. Sure, Rockstar had a part in it's development, but Team Bondi would've had more, I would think.

It's even more important I think in situations like, for example, Bionic Commando, where everyone assumed (as in, the general dumber public) that it was made by Capcom when it really wasn't.

So yeah. >_>

Off topic, but what is your avatar from?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Really looking forward to picking this up. Been very interested in the tech Thayer are using but I am kinda burnt out on GTA style games. This looks different enough though.

Plus I gotta support TEAM BONDI.

MrCookiepants said:
I am hype. But I'm mad that this game threatens to leave my 3DS empty for yet another few months. It's either this or Ocarina 3D. Not both. :(

NOIR now then OOT when it's on sale in a few months.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Vinterbird said:
Nintendo has said they are pressing a very limited number of OoT cartridges, so that might be the smart investment right now.

Investment? If you can't find a copy of it on sale in a few months I'll eat my stylish hat :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nemesis556 said:

So yeah. >_>

McNamara has said that the switch from Sony to Rockstar didn't change the game, and as such it would appear the publisher simply offered assistance for the purpose of finishing up the game sooner, but not to the detriment of Team Bondi's own creative direction/control.

The idea that Rockstar came on board and shifted the direction of LA Noire to something more toward their style doesn't seem to have a basis in reality; the LA Noire we're getting is very much the game Team Bondi has had in mind all this time and it just happens to share similarities to Rockstar's own open-world game design philosophy (which is probably why Team Bondi went to them after becoming worried about Sony's commitment).

Weenerz

Banned
Vinterbird said:
Nintendo has said they are pressing a very limited number of OoT cartridges, so that might be the smart investment right now.

I'd love to see where you got this information, I haven't seen it on any gaming news sites.

JonCha

Y58B4.png

Avatar get... unless someone has it already. If it's taken let me know and I'll switch back.

Going to pre-order this today from GAME. Can get a £6 discount, so it'll basically match Amazon as the cheapest (or join-cheapest?) retailer at £34 plus I'll be getting an extra in-game case to solve. Hopefully GAME will get it to me a day early as they usually do.

Shiloa

JaseC said:
McNamara has said that the switch from Sony to Rockstar didn't change the game, and as such it would appear the publisher simply offered assistance for the purpose of finishing up the game sooner, but not to the detriment of Team Bondi's own creative direction/control.

The idea that Rockstar came on board and shifted the direction of LA Noire to something more toward their style doesn't seem to have a basis in reality; the LA Noire we're getting is very much the game Team Bondi has had in mind all this time and it just happens to share similarities to Rockstar's own open-world game design philosophy (which is probably why Team Bondi went to them after becoming worried about Sony's commitment).
Huh? I'm confused.

I thought Rockstar was always involved with this game, the only change was that it went from Sony exclusive to multiformat?

Radogol

Shiloa said:
Huh? I'm confused.

I thought Rockstar was always involved with this game, the only change was that it went from Sony exclusive to multiformat?

No, Sony was the publisher at one point. They traded the rights to publish LA Noire for Agent exclusivity.

JaseC

Shiloa said:
But Rockstar were always involved with regards to the development.

Nope. They weren't brought on board until Team Bondi switched over to them from Sony as publisher.

McNamara said:
1UP: You just made a comment about working with Rockstar and getting that time for extra polish. Originally, back in the day, this was announced as an SCEA game. So when and how did you switch over to have Rockstar be your publisher?

BM: Sam Houser -- who runs Rockstar -- and I go back a long way. We were both in it when Sam was an A&R [Artist & Repertoire] guy at BMG Records, and they started the BMG Interactive division, which was trying to do some games and that kind of stuff. And Sam was an avid gamer and he kicked that part of the company off and I think he was number two or something, but essentially he was making all the A&R decisions for that; deciding what was good and what wasn't.

I knew him when he was in BMG Music, and I went over as kind of a freelance artist working on different things. We went back a long way, and we used to get together and talk about games over these marathon Chinese meals. When Shuhei Yoshida, the head of development for Sony Computer Entertainment America, got moved out of his role and somebody else was placed in charge of that, I just felt like, "Well this thing is complicated and difficult enough as it is, and if I don't have someone there who I know is gonna back that thing, then I could be in a pretty sticky position." So I approached Sam, and said "This is the type of game we're making," and he said, "Wow. No one's ever made that before." And I said, "No." And so he bought into the concept a long way out, long before it was actually what it was. And so I just ran to Sony and said, "I'd like to switch it over." and they were nice enough to do that.

Shiloa

OKay okay, my bad. For some reason I remembered the original announcement back in 2006 or whenever it was stating that it was a Rockstar game.

Radogol

Chinner said:
Why do us Europeans have to wait until Friday to play ROCKSTAR's epic LA Noire?

YOU IGNORANT FOOL! HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THE THREAD TITLE! FOR THE MILIONTH TIME:

There should be dots after L and A.

JaseC

DrBo42 said:
Let's not get overly dramatic. It'll die out soon enough, either on its own or by force.

It'll die out when people start getting their hands on the game... and then it'll have somewhat of a resurgence in the next R* thread.

Was this posted?

Game Informer Magazine (Australia)

Review :

9.5/10

You will pay for the whole seat, but you will only be using the edge of it!

JaseC

Opus Angelorum said:
Was this posted?

Game Informer Magazine (Australia)

Review :

9.5/10

You will pay for the whole seat, but you will only be using the edge of it!

Yeah, it was the first review, IIRC.

Top Bottom