• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Mr_Brit

Banned
To people waiting for the DF comparison, be aware that they usually publish these on Saturdays so if you're getting it on launch you'll have to go by other sources.

Also, can someone rehost the images please as they're not loading/loading at dialup speeds.

TheExodu5 said:
There are big differences in the contrast levels (the 360 is black crushing haaaaard), but that's not the only difference there. The 360 version in those shots has noticeably more detailed textures (just look at the pillars or the bricks...the bump mapping is a lot more noticeable on the 360 version). The main thing that's leading me to believe the differences in those shots aren't entirely legitimate is the flashlight in that second shot. Both shots appear to have completely different art directions...the difference in lightiung seems more like an artistic choice, rather than a technical one.

Sorry...I could only post them on my phone. Had no idea how big they were (can't see them on my work computer). If someone wants to rehost them I can edit my post.

I put em up on imgur here are the links:

http://i.imgur.com/PojJ9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KgxNp.jpg

I have it pre-ordered for 360 and today is it... I need to know if I should call Gamestop and move it to PS3..

either way I can't wait to play this game!

Mr_Brit

Banned
nismogrendel said:
Thanks, I'll put them up for the new page.

PojJ9.jpg

KgxNp.jpg

timmy01

Neo Member
JetBlackPanda said:
I have it pre-ordered for 360 today is it... I need to know if I should call Gamestop and move it to PS3..

if you want the exclusive PS3 case I sure would.

Mr_Brit said:
Thanks, I'll put them up for the new page.

http://i.imgur.com/PojJ9.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KgxNp.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
and why exactly would you post screens that most have every reason to believe are faked/slanted? just seems silly to spam such highly questionable screens (and large to boot) all over the thread.

TheExodu5

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
I have it pre-ordered for 360 today is it... I need to know if I should call Gamestop and move it to PS3..

Do like me and have both pre-ordered! As long as you're not picking it up during the midnight launch, we should be getting some comparisons before tomorrow evening.

Mr_Brit

Banned
timmy01 said:
if you want the exclusive PS3 case I sure would.

and why exactly would you post screens that most have every reason to believe are faked/slanted? just seems silly to spam such highly questionable screens (and large to boot) all over the thread.
Since the images on the previous page were broken and I asked for rehosted images and thought I'd pass on the favour to others.

It's clear that these screenshots were taken off the trailer, this still doesn't exactly paint a good picture for the PS3 version. Then again, Team Bondi/Rockstar wouldn't use it if it was noticeably worse than the 360 version.

timmy01

Neo Member
Tamanon said:
Why would he take example screens using different weapons to compare?
he didn't take them.. they are from 360 direct feed pics and what appears to be more than likely "PS3" video feeds.

Yeah, if people look at those shots and can't tell that one is taken direct in-game while the other is taken from a video of the game, then that's pretty sad.

I love the weaponry I have seen in the vids. Thompsons, BARs, revolvers... awesome old school shit. I am super fucking excited to play this, I took the next 3 days off work.

TheExodu5 said:
Do like me and have both pre-ordered! As long as you're not picking it up during the midnight launch, we should be getting some comparisons before tomorrow evening.
I'm doing the midnight launch. -_-

Evlar

Banned
Look closely at the map on the PS3 version of those pics. Notice that the blue dot (representing your partner) is obscuring the white arrow (representing Cole). This differs from the 360 version (which shows the white arrow outline through the blue dot with a transparency effect).

From what I can tell by squinting at the 15 minute gameplay video posted last Friday, the review PS3 version's map does NOT look like the map in those PS3 pics; it works like the 360 version, so Cole's arrow icon is never obscured. I would say those pics are from an earlier build of the game.

timmy01

Neo Member
mintylurb said:
What is that supposed to show? Isn't the 360 shot also from the same gameplay footage?
it's that the 360 version is from a direct feed shot.. whereas the "PS3" version is a brightness adjusted shot from the compressed video feed (more than likely from youtube HD). it basically offers nothing as to which one looks better. something we won't probably know until Digital Foundry does their comparison.

Shurs said:
My review copy was just delivered by FedEx. When requesting the copy, I said that I had no console preference. They sent me the 360 version. I wouldn't read too much into it, as they sent me the PS3 version of RDR last year.

The fact sheet says the game fills an entire single-layer Blu-Ray.

It also says that Xbox owners will only have to swap discs twice at natural breaks between cases.

I won't be able to play the game for another eight hours, but I will post some impressions tonight.
Switching discs? Are we back in the 90s?

TheExodu5

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
Yeah, if people look at those shots and can't tell that one is taken direct in-game while the other is taken from a video of the game, then that's pretty sad.
Still, there are more differences there than just avi compression. The lighting and flashlight effects are completely different...I'm just trying to figure out if these are legitimate differences, or if the PS3 shot is simply from an old build.

Evlar said:
Look closely at the map on the PS3 version of those pics. Notice that the blue dot (representing your partner) is obscuring the white arrow (representing Cole). This differs from the 360 version (which shows the white arrow outline through the blue dot with a transparency effect).

From what I can tell by squinting at the 15 minute gameplay video posted last Friday, the review PS3 version's map does NOT look like the map in those PS3 pics; it works like the 360 version, so Cole's arrow icon is never obscured. I would say those pics are from an earlier build of the game.

Thanks. This is the kind of information I was hoping would surface from posting these shots.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Patrick Bateman said:
Switching discs? Are we back in the 90s?

Yeah, every other 360 game is on one disc. Why did Rockstar decide to go this route? Maybe for tension.

Nakimushi

Banned
those screens comparisions are bullshit too me ....
on both consoles you can change RGB HDMI settings to get deep blacks and rich colours...

any game on ps3 that looks washed out i use Full RGB on my ps3 and I use this same kind of settings on x360 - its called rich or intermidate I think and thats why games dont look washed out .

TheExodu5

Banned
commish said:
Yeah, every other 360 game is on one disc. Why did Rockstar decide to go this route? Maybe for tension.

Because they didn't want to compromise the quality of the dialogue just so people wouldn't be bothered with 10 seconds of disc changing throughout their 40 hour playthrough.

Nakimushi said:
on both consoles you can change RGB HDMI settings to get deep blacks and rich colours...

any game on ps3 that looks washed out i use Full RGB on my ps3 and I use this same kind of settings on x360 - its called rich or intermidate I think and thats why games dont look washed out .

The 360 shots above have extreme black crush...why people always say the PS3 version looks washed out is beyond me...the PS3 shots are usually a lot closer to accuracy.

But anyways, the gamme/contrast differences were not what I was interested above. There were clearly other differences, such as the flashlight effect and general scene lighting being completely different in that second shot. As pointed out by a previous poster, it seems as though that the PS3 shots are not from the final build, so it seems those shots are irrelevant at this point.

That comparison seems rather trollish, but who knows... Won't be able to pick up my copy before next Monday so I can hopefully still switch if necessary.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Nakimushi said:

The reason PS3 games looked washed out isn't due to RGB settings but due to the fact that the 360 uses a wrong gamma curve which causes the image to turn out wrong, it is in fact the PS3 that uses a correct gamma curve so next time you complain about washed out images you have to realise that the PS3 is showing it correctly.

mintylurb

timmy01 said:
it's that the 360 version is from a direct feed shot.. whereas the "PS3" version is a brightness adjusted shot from the compressed video feed (more than likely from youtube HD). it basically offers nothing as to which one looks better. something we won't probably know until Digital Foundry does their comparison.
How do you know that the 360 version is from a direct feed shot though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
The reason PS3 games looked washed out isn't due to RGB settings but due to the fact that the 360 uses a wrong gamma curve which causes the image to turn out wrong, it is in fact the PS3 that uses a correct gamma curve so next time you complain about washed out images you have to realise that the PS3 is showing it correctly.

Yup. It's sad that the 360 is making people like black crush. "Oh, use RGB Full and kill the dynamics of the screen to make it look less washed out!".

Just look at the door in the first shot above. Look at how badly all the detail is lost due to the black crushing on the 360.

BeeDog

Though I wouldn't use these pics for any IQ comparisons, what's up with the difference in shadows in the above pic (the bank entrance)? I wonder what the DF article will find.

JonCha

Honestly, I see little difference between the shots. When you're playing the game in full motion are you really going to care? I'm not.

Just to point out something to folks still on the fence about the exclusive content.

Typically, whenever Sony has something like this-

929170_68748_front.jpg

On their game boxes, odds are that it will NOT become multiplatform. They don't believe in false advertising, it seems.

Remember, Microsoft is big into paying 3rd party companies for TIMED exclusive content (that their customers actually have to pay for), whereas Sony pays for 100% exclusivity and makes sure that their customers get it for free. Usually it is on-disc as well (the Joker maps for Batman: Arkham Asylum is the only one that I recall you had to download from the PSN marketplace).

So the 360-only hopefuls that are used to Microsoft's shitty "timed exclusive" practice will more than likely be waiting for eternity because Sony does not pull that kind of stunt.

DaBuddaDa

JonCha said:
Honestly, I see little difference between the shots. When you're playing the game in full motion are you really going to care? I'm not.
All I care about is framerate and screen tearing, two things still shots cannot tell you.

Mr_Brit

Banned
BeeDog said:
Though I wouldn't use these pics for any IQ comparisons, what's up with the difference in shadows in the above pic (the bank entrance)? I wonder what the DF article will find.
It's probably just a different time of day. The shadows are at a shallower angle in the 360 shot as the sun is at a shallower angle.

Evlar

Banned
JonCha said:
I see a huge difference in texture quality but I don't think these shots are reliable.

scoobs

people freaked out about how much worse the ps3 version of RDR looked and i played it and thought it looked amazing... honestly guys, its not a big deal as long as it runs fine

Hanmik

Mr_Brit said:
It's probably just a different time of day. The shadows are at a shallower angle in the 360 shot as the sun is at a shallower angle.

I´m not sure about the time of the day.. because the game world does not change like in RDR or GTA. When you are on working on a case, the time will stand still untill you complete a certain "part" of that case. So I think the cases are set at the same time of day on both consoles..

These comparisons are just awful. And kind of a waste of time, almost no one doing them is actually doing a good technical comparison...

So as for DLC, what do we now have? At least four cases, right?

Electroplate Arson Case
The Naked City
The Consul's Car (is this DLC or already on the disc?)
A Slip of the Tongue

I wonder how much other DLC Cases they have up their sleeve. I wonder if burglary and bunko were actual finished cases are just concept stuff that got cut out.

Sigh. And this is why we shouldn't post bullshit fan-made comparisons. The thread devolves into a carnival of stupid every time. Let's wait for the professionals, shall we? Can't be that far off!

Top Bottom