• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
These comparisons are just awful.

You know why?

1h73hx.jpg

BAM. That's PS3 footage.

BeeDog

Mr_Brit said:
It's probably just a different time of day. The shadows are at a shallower angle in the 360 shot as the sun is at a shallower angle.

That's the thing, I assumed the game doesn't have a dynamic ToD implementation. I assumed each mission had its specific daylight settings.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
You know why?

1h73hx.jpg

BAM. That's PS3 footage.

Hahaha, figured as much.

Evidently all a good technical comparison needs is flash video and a copy of the game and Bam! Digital Foundry is bowing down before their prowess.

Hanmik

BeeDog said:
That's the thing, I assumed the game doesn't have a dynamic ToD implementation. I assumed each mission had its specific daylight settings.

it is like you just described it..

In-game time progresses when you solve cases. You may start solving a case at midnight, but the in-game time won’t progress until you make progress in the case.

timmy01

Neo Member
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
These comparisons are just awful. And kind of a waste of time, almost no one doing them is actually doing a good technical comparison...

So as for DLC, what do we now have? At least four cases, right?

Electroplate Arson Case
The Naked City
The Consul's Car (is this DLC or already on the disc?)
A Slip of the Tongue

I wonder how much other DLC Cases they have up their sleeve. I wonder if burglary and bunko were actual finished cases are just concept stuff that got cut out.
Electroplate Arson Case from the way the Best Buy ad is worded will in fact be normal DLC. The best Buy midnight attendees will simply get this DLC for free when it releases.

Consul's Car I will almost guarantee you is on the disc for PS3 versions. As others have said, the Joker maps in Arkham Asylum were the only PS3 exclusive items I can recall that were ever downloadable. And to reiterate to folks trying to decide between PS3 and 360, if the past is an indicator, this case will never be available to 360 owners.

Slip of the Tongue and Naked City at this point are the only truly preorder-exclusive DLC cases (and then the couple of suits and guns... kind of annoyed I missed out on the Tommy gun as a PUR member :( ) Rockstar has said all of the pre-order content will be released as paid DLC at some point.

tl;dr - if you are fine paying for DLC, don't worry about where to pre-order. It will all be available eventually. If you own a PS3 and 360 though, strongly consider the PS3 version as it will have a case that will likely never make it to 360. Though with that being said, it is just one case. Not really game changing.

Dabanton

Revolutionary said:
Sigh. And this is why we shouldn't post bullshit fan-made comparisons. The thread devolves into a carnival of stupid every time. Let's wait for the professionals, shall we? Can't be that far off!

Agree have we learned nothing from previous threads involving games from the R* stable

I'm thinking of the utter messes the RDR and the legendary GTAIV threads were on here when it came to comparisons i remember that it got so bad in the GTAIV one that Bish created a time limited 'Free for all' thread so posters could get their trolling out their systems before bans would be handed out.

And then someone from B3D posted his investigation of resolutions of the two games and the thread exploded even more..

Paying the 360? PS3? version off tonight for midnight launch, I must know which version to get NAO, otherwise ill no longer be able to continue with this life of mine, this is too stressful.

Montresor

Someone explain to me why R2 to shoot on the PS3 would be bad. Isn't R2 the equivalent of the RT button on the 360? What do PS3 shooters usually use?

Also, the embargo ends 12 eastern, correct? I hope so. Yes, the embargo ends at 12 eastern, lol. I should've read up a couple of posts.

nib95

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Thanks, I'll put them up for the new page.

Stupid comparison pics

Why you would re-post such a terrible comparison is beyond me. Clearly, one set of shots are grabs from a video, while the other are direct feed.

Agent Ironside said:
Paying the 360? PS3? version off tonight for midnight launch, I must know which version to get NAO, otherwise ill no longer be able to continue with this life of mine, this is too stressful.

throw each console off a ledge, whichever one still works, pay for that one......

Montresor said:
Someone explain to me why R2 to shoot on the PS3 would be bad. Isn't R2 the equivalent of the RT button on the 360? What do PS3 shooters usually use?

Also, the embargo ends 12 eastern, correct? I hope so.
It's normally R1 to shoot on PS3.

Have you ever used a PS3 controller?

The L2 and R2 buttons are the worst thing about the controller.

Agent Ironside said:

Here's a tip for you-

L.A. Noire's development is very similar to Final Fantasy XIII's. The number of discs the 360 version of L.A. Noire has is the same as the 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII.

Oh, and you get permanently-exclusive free content on the PS3 version ON THE DISC.

If none of that helps, just say that Achievements/Controller/Online swayed you. Yes, this game has online.

Evlar

Banned
Eurogamer: 8/10 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-16-l-a-noire-review
L.A. Noire is slow but quietly engrossing; its mechanics are suspect, but you can't fault the ambition, attention to detail and commitment that went into its making. It risks stumbling over its own earnestness at times, but it's saved by its star – and I don't mean Staton, who does his best with a dry character.

That star is Los Angeles: as bizarre, threatening and fascinating in this virtual 1947 as it is in the real world today. L.A. Noire may owe its vision of the city to Ellroy and others, but as a game, it can depict it in a way those others can't. McNamara, Team Bondi and Rockstar have taken that responsibility seriously, convincingly peeling away the layers of a sick society over the game's length. That – not the curse words or the grim subject matter or the naked corpses – is what makes L.A. Noire a genuinely mature game.
(A little spoilery.)

timmy01

Neo Member
ashbash159 said:
It's normally R1 to shoot on PS3.

Have you ever used a PS3 controller?

The L2 and R2 buttons are the worst thing about the controller.
meh, I just beat all of RDR without any problem. Actually messed with me moving onto Vanquish :p

I will say 360 has better triggers (only thing I like better on that pad) with that being said, I wouldn't call the DS3's triggers god awful.. just old school.

Yen

dralla said:
can you switch the shooting controls on PS3? R2 to shoot? the fuck
What is shooting on PS3 games? I have an Xbox with COD, Gears, L4D and they use the second R trigger. (I don't play much shooting games)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1168417p1.html

8.5 Presentation
The story doesn't match the great performances. The "game" elements are sometimes distracting from the immersive environment.
8.0 Graphics
The faces are pretty damned awesome -- it's the actors, after all. L.A. in the ‘40s looks good. At times the framerate stutters and there are a few annoying graphical glitches here and there.
10 Sound
So much great voice work. The real star is the soundtrack.
8.5 Gameplay
Despite its flaws, L.A. Noire does something we've never seen before. It's too often repetitive and predicatble, but it's still enjoyable.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
Depending on how much time you devote to exploring the city, it will take anywhere from 12 to 20 hours to beat. Many won't find a reason to return.

Top Bottom