• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Xater

Ohwiseone said:
is it bad that the only review I actually care about is Giantbomb's? I just don't care what IGN,euro gamer and gamespot says anymore.

Judging by some Twitter messages it should be up any minute.

NHale

Interfectum said:
LOL @ 8s and 9s being considered mediocre now.

The person from Gametrailers that reviewed Brink and gave it a 7.9 said you shouldn't buy the game on Invisible Walls podcast. A 7.9 it's not purchase-worthy even for reviewers.

DaBuddaDa

From Brad's review:

Having spent a lot of time with both versions of L.A. Noire, the PlayStation 3 game is the clear-cut winner. Both versions of the game look fantastic, but there were a few instances of painful frame rate drops and objects drawing in too slowly on the Xbox that didn't exist on the PS3. Also, the shadows look a bit more jagged.

DangerStepp

upJTboogie said:
If true than I'm not surprised, it was the lead platform, and pretty much every promo video was PS3 footage.
I'd like to know what constitutes a .5 jump in graphics. Where's the rubric on that?

Loudninja

zurgdawg said:
Having spent a lot of time with both versions of L.A. Noire, the PlayStation 3 game is the clear-cut winner. Both versions of the game look fantastic, but there were a few instances of painful frame rate drops and objects drawing in too slowly on the Xbox that didn't exist on the PS3. Also, the shadows look a bit more jagged. This is splitting hairs since, both games look good enough that you should just get the one on the platform you prefer, though the PS3 also has the added benefit of being on a single disc to the Xbox's three, and includes an exclusive downloadable case (which I didn't get to try, and you probably won't be able to play either until the PlayStation Store is back online).

hlhbk

I sure hope that some of these reviews will point out if there is a huge technical difference in the PS3 and 360 versions. I will be so upset if those screens are real and I preordered the PS3 version.

CamHostage

rhino4evr said:
Wow....lots of 8s. Surprising given the amount of hype.

Hype doesn't mean perfection. It's an interesting game, one worth talking about, but as far as recommending purchasing it, that's up to the reviewer who plays the game. A journalist's job is to make articles, not games, and a game with as fascinating a development story and technological breakthrough (be it a good or bad game) makes for a great story; the review is just another story in that journalism cycle.

By the way, is it really surprising to you? It feels right in line with what I had been reading on sites and forums. Despite the prolonged development cycle, I don't think there was a strong sense that this was a "10" game. Early screenshots didn't impress, the interrogation focus of the coverage glossed over the roaming gameplay that would take up the bulk of the game time, and Team Bondi's lead staffers' previous games (The Getaway franchise, also an open-world action game) had similar technological praise with only so much payoff for the game buyer (I didn't like them, others did and were looking forward to the PS3 game, critical reviews were mixed.) There shouldn't be any shock over the scores, forget the hype and just be happy that it's apparently a good game.

IGN Review said:
All this leads to a final interview with a suspect in the police station interview room, where even screwing up completely still leads to an arrest.

Sigh. This is pretty disappointing to hear- basically you're just turning the pages in a storybook without any real influence on interrogations. Still kinda excited for the game but my hype level has been significantly muted by this. :(

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Interfectum said:
This is splitting hairs since, both games look good enough that you should just get the one on the platform you prefer

who wants to bet that line will be ignored by the console wars type people?

The_Darkest_Red said:
IGN gave the 360 version a 7.5 in graphics and the PS3 version an 8.0.
IGN said:
The X360 version suffers from some performance issues -- framerate stuttering and graphical glitches.

Well, now we know.

If you own both a PS3 and an Xbox 360, it's going to be pretty stupid of you to buy the Xbox 360 version.

ShortDarkAndUgly said:
Sigh. This is pretty disappointing to hear- basically you're just turning the pages in a storybook without any real influence on interrogations. Still kinda excited for the game but my hype level has been significantly muted by this. :(

Yeah, I don't like the sound of that at all. I assume you can go back to improve your interrogation score afterwards?

SamuraiX-

ShortDarkAndUgly said:

Isn't that kinda spoilerish?

Sethos

Banned
mintylurb said:
I'm wondering if the ps3 version has any aa..because I think the 360 version seems to have 2xaa.

Think most PS3 titles use a form of QxAA which I believe gives you an overall smoother image and it's an AA form closer to 4xAA - That's what I've been told in some dark back alley a long time ago, not sure what to make of it.

Top Bottom