• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

The_Darkest_Red said:
There's also the bonus case and the whole 1 disc vs. 3 discs issue.

PS3 is the clear winner in this instance it seems. Which doesn't surprise me, considering this games development history.

Reviews seem to be indicating, that, like Heavy Rain, the ideas and presentation on show are quite revolutionary and unique, but not perfectly executed. Resulting in a good, not great final product. It's a shame they didn't nail everything perfectly, but it's good to see LA Noire is still releasing as a solid title - that will no doubt be a ton of fun to play.

Also I've managed to avoid most media so I should have something to really look forward to come Friday.

Well, considering that we've known that the PS3 version has been the lead platform, it would be bizarre for it to be the graphically inferior version.

Xater

upJTboogie said:
Is the GT review full of spoilers?

Isn't that the case with all their reviews? If it's a game where you care about the story don#t watch their review. At least that's what I do.

nib95

Banned
commish said:
I don't understand why people have a problem with this. I am willing to bet that 95% of people who buy this game don't know or care which dev team developed this game. Most people have a preconceived notion of how a Rockstar game looks and plays, based off of GTA and, most recently, RDR. They will go into this game expecting it to be like GTA and RDR, and I really can't fault them for that.

Add to that, I'm pretty sure this is how Rockstar/Team Bondi intended it. The marketing strategy seems to be to tie the game with Rockstar as much as possible. Likely to increase sales and what not, since Rockstars name is infinitely more prominent.

Angry Fork

Xater said:
Isn't that the case with all their reviews? If it's a game where you care about the story don#t watch their review. At least that's what I do.
GT is notorious for handing out spoilers left and right without warning. I remember going to their site around MGS4 time and seeing a Shadow Moses video right on the front page. Pissed me off so much because I was on a MGS blackout and would've liked to be surprised by Shadow Moses when playing, instead those douches put it out in the open as if it's not a big deal.

Interfectum said:
You can say that without even playing LA Noire first... really?
I wasn't complaining so much about the scores, but the fact that the lack of side stuff hasn't really lowered the scores the way they did with Mafia 2. Anything that comes out from Rockstar this gen seems to be given special treatment where the good outweigh the bad, but lots of other games (particularly sandbox) get tons of shit thrown at it for the bad and ignoring the good. It's nothing against LA Noire at all, just the reviewers this-gen that aren't honest and consistent.

nib95 said:
Add to that, I'm pretty sure this is how Rockstar/Team Bondi intended it. The marketing strategy seems to be to tie the game with Rockstar as much as possible. Likely to increase sales and what not, since Rockstars name is infinitely more prominent.
Indeed. It isn't labeled with "Rockstar games presents" by accident.

Dabanton

Good thing about us UK gaffers with both systems, getting this game this friday plenty of time to know which version to get.

Looks like it's going to be the PS3 version i'll be picking up this friday.

Solo

I actually DID cancel my pre-order. Not because I don't want the game, because I do, but the issues the reviews are harping on have made it no longer something I want to pay day one pricing for. I'll get it on Amazon on Black Friday for $20.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
GreekWolf said:
Yeah, I think wait for proper comparisons instead of fanboy drivel. I remember IGN touting the superior graphics of the PS3 version of GTA4...then, we found out it runs in a lower resolution with vaseline smear.

The alleged framerate drops are a pretty big factor but, personally, I'd consider a lower resolution/texture difference to be the clear-cut inferior version.

Eagerly awaiting DF's verdict before plopping down my cash.
Guess you missed Giantbombs review too. :p

The 1 disc was tempting, but the fact that it runs better on the PS3 makes this a no-brainer if you have the option. Gonna switch tomorrow and pick this up:

b5Cnh.png

Solo said:
I actually DID cancel my pre-order. Not because I don't want the game, because I do, but the issues the reviews are harping on have made it no longer something I want to pay day one pricing for. I'll get it on Amazon on Black Friday for $20.
Which complaints turned you off in particular?

Xater said:
Yeah I'm not risking it, I'm sold on the game anyway to be honest.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
nib95 said:

Exactly. I mean, it's fun to act superior to those IGN peasants because they don't know who made the game and all, but I think their sentence is a fair one.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
SamuraiX- said:
You know what's even funnier?

All the people who're actually taking the "preorder cancelled" posters seriously.

ymqdc.jpg

Seriously. I think there has only been 1 person that was serious about cancelling their preorder.

timmy01

Neo Member
Angry Fork said:
My suspicions about this game getting great scores because of the Rockstar bias (compared to Mafia 2) are confirmed. Not that LA Noire isn't a better game than Mafia 2 (it likely is) but the beating Mafia 2 took in terms of scores in the 5s and 6s make no sense at all when LA Noire doesn't have extra shit to do in the city either. The only difference between Noire has the interrogation stuff + might be longer depending on the player.

Anyway have PS3 version pre-ordered and can't wait, been waiting for this game since 2005 with the initial teaser. Huge noir fan and will love it for the atmosphere, setting and visuals even if it gets repetitive. I loved Mafia 2 as well for the same reasons.
as I said on the previous page... read Sessler's review for x-play/G4. The guy also seems to be a huge film noir fan and just went on and on and on for paragraphs at how perfectly Bondi hit the styling in both atmosphere and game elements.

this looks to be like RDR all over again. Many people hating things from a "gaming" stand point (empty environments, lack of things to do, pacing) while the genre buffs end up saying "umm.. yeah, because if they chanegd that stuff in the game it wouldn't be anything like the actual film genre it's trying to honor"

CAN'T WAIT

Sethos

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
The 1 disc was tempting, but the fact that it runs better on the PS3 makes this a no-brainer if you have the option. Gonna switch tomorrow and pick this up:
http://i.imgur.com/b5Cnh.png

Get a 360 wired controller and one of the cheap(er) Cross Battle Adapters ... Third party controllers are so not worth it.

Dabanton

nib95 said:

Agree the entire marketing campaign is built on R* games presents which is why the thread title could be argued to be doing more harm than good...

I give it a week maybe two before some people are moaning that they wished R* did the whole game.

It's inevitable.

Tricky I Shadow said:

b5Cnh.png

What, the dead-zone horror pad? Good luck with that. It's horrible.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Seriously. I think there has only been 1 person that was serious about cancelling their preorder.

considering "preorder cancelled" is more or less a gaf meme that i've seen in many threads i'm surprised people are actually taking it seriously.

Solo

The_Darkest_Red said:
Which complaints turned you off in particular?

It seems like there is no way NOT to solve a case, it sounds quite repetitive, clue notifications, etc.

Like I said, I'll still get it, but Ill wait for Black Friday and focus my time on The Witcher 2.

Loudninja

Slight Hiccups
When it comes to a game as big as Grand Theft Auto, having a perfect game with no graphical hiccups are mostly impossible. In L.A. Noire, the game is no stranger to this issue. At majority part of the game especially the Xbox 360, players will be experiencing graphical hiccups where the screen will tear or something will freeze for a couple of seconds. The frame rate drops a lot on the Xbox 360 version while the PS3 is flawless. If the players will be getting L.A. Noire on the Xbox 360, I highly suggest to install them on the hard drive. PS3 owners will don’t have to worry about that but there will be a mandatory installation waiting for you.
http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/05/16/l-a-noire-review/

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
DoomXploder7 said:
considering "preorder cancelled" is more or less a gaf meme that i've seen in many threads i'm surprised people are actually taking it seriously.

Yeah. All the people missing the sarcasm here kinda makes me want to cancel my preorder.

Solo said:
It seems like there is no way NOT to solve a case, it sounds quite repetitive, clue notifications, etc.

Like I sad, I'll still get it, but Ill wait for Black Friday and focus my time on The Witcher 2.

I understand your complaints since it sounds more like a novel or a movie.. only you get to act out parts and help find clues and interrogate.. I am OK with this!

GreekWolf

chubigans said:
Guess you missed Giantbombs review too. :p
I've managed to get through all of them, except for Destructoid and GT. I'm curious to see what differences they've ascertained between the two versions, and if it's significant.

Again, it's probably not wise for multiplatform fence-sitters (like myself) to base their purchasing decision on reviewer judgements. DF has always done a damn good job and (to a lesser extent) Lens of Truth.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The inferior power of the 360 has been showing its head in more and more games nowadays.

nib95

Banned
GT review was awesome. Game looks refreshing. Exactly what I need right now, especially after going a few months without playing anything. Should ease me in nice and slow :p

Definity

Dabanton said:
Can anyone with the 360 version installed say if they've seen any 'hiccups'?
I've got it installed on the HDD and other than a few pop-ups on the horizon when you're driving fast, etc. I don't even notice it. Load times are super fast.

Interfectum

GreekWolf said:
I've managed to get through all of them, except for Destructoid and GT. I'm curious to see what differences they've ascertained between the two versions, and if it's significant.

Again, it's probably not wise for multiplatform fence-sitters (like myself) to base their purchasing decision on reviewer judgements. DF has always done a damn good job and (to a lesser extent) Lens of Truth.

Giantbomb's review:

This is splitting hairs since, both games look good enough that you should just get the one on the platform you prefer

There are differences but not enough to force you to any one platform.

I can't believe after all these years we still devolve OTs to stupid platform wars.

Top Bottom