• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Sethos

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Any word yet on if the exclusive bonus case for the PS3 version is US only?!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! You people are confusing the shit out of me here!

Already gave you the perfect alternative, so just shell out and enjoy :p

Gooster said:
Giant Bomb's review seems to make the non-failing aspect not as bad as it seems, IMO.

Yes, I agree. Giantbomb's review best explains the case solving elements of the reviews I've read. They also explain that even though you can't really fail a case, there's a lot of variability and no single rigid path through the case. You can easily go through a case and not see all locations and/or people involved. They also point out the irony that the worse you perform, the more content you're likely to see, as efficiency will bring you to your conclusion faster and with fewer threads of investigation.

Man now I'm REALLY torn... for me the big issue now is controller vs peformance. I much prefer the 360 controller but I don't want to play a version with noticeably inferior performance.

Gary Whitta said:
Mind you Brad does say the differences are minor enough that you should still get the game for whatever platform you prefer...

Looks like Dragon Age issue to me, minus the framerate problem, although that can be kind of solved by installing the 360 discs on the HDD.

I think either version would be fine.

Gary Whitta said:
Arg looks like I might be back on the PS3 train! LOL I started with PS3 then switched to 360 then I had *both* versions pre-ordered now it looks like I might cancel 360... LOL.

You are quite a character, Mr. Whitta.

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I never once thought: Can you commandeer civilian vehicles in this game to chase people down? Another GTA comparison in its core, maybe, but I never considered until just now.

Edit: Going by the GT review, seems to be yes, so never mind!

Gary Whitta said:
Man now I'm REALLY torn... for me the big issue now is controller vs peformance. I much prefer the 360 controller but I don't want to play a version with noticeably inferior performance.

if this was a FPS I would feel the same way, but its more of an adventure game and the shooting mechanics are not that intricate, I think the PS3 controller will be fine.

however I have the same thought process as you.

Solo said:
It seems like there is no way NOT to solve a case, it sounds quite repetitive, clue notifications, etc.

Like I said, I'll still get it, but Ill wait for Black Friday and focus my time on The Witcher 2.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure what people were expecting here--allowing the player to continue forward with the story after completely blowing a case would seem to lead to unfixable "dead ends" that we haven't seen in an adventure game since King's Quest, and for good reason.

If the game always lets you solve the case "correctly" for the purpose of the main story, while possibly missing interesting secondary information if you don't play perfectly (which seems to be the case), I think that's a fair compromise for trying to play as well as possible.

Angry Fork

Angry Fork said:
Does Giantbomb's review have spoilers?

I want to watch but would also like the game to be fresh when played for the first time. Is it worth watching giantbomb's review to raise my hype meter? edit - Just realized it's a written review not video rofl /feels like an idiot.

AiTM

Banned
JAVK said:
This what people on the PS3 or XBox fence should do:

If you are struck between two options, just flip a coin in the air!

It works.

Not because it solves the problem . . . but because while the coin is in the air, You will get to know what your heart is really hoping for....

This is clever, not just for picking a version but for general decision making. Hmm maybe this this will help me in my future casework as well...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Shed_a_Ninja said:
So you just want to give Microsoft the satisfaction that you prefer to have an inferior experience?

There is a reason why my Xbox 360 collects dust and will not be getting an XBL renewal.

Oh come on, what a bad trolling attempt.

As I said, reviews indicate the PS3 version is only slightly better and that the 360 version is completely fine. It is more on what system you want to play and what controller you like better than anything.

Starting console wars over such a small difference is just stupid.

Dabanton

Damm it's open warfare in this thread.

People just get what version you want you don't have to justify yourself to other posters.

LProtag

Tricky I Shadow said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! You people are confusing the shit out of me here!

Sounds like shoddy manufacturing control, some are good and some are bad. Guess it's a bit of a gamble?

Angry Fork said:

I want to watch but would also like the game to be fresh when played for the first time. Is it worth watching giantbomb's review to raise my hype meter? edit - Just realized it's a written review not video rofl /feels like an idiot.

I don't think they have a video review up yet, just a written review in which there are no spoilers to be found.

Gary Whitta said:
You've been repeating this constantly in this thread. How indecisive can you be? Just pick a platform and go with it!

tc farks

20 hours is a sweet spot for me as well. No complaints there. Assists can be turned off, less focus on action and more on story, noir vibe captured (playing this baby in black and white)...all make me happy to be picking this up at midnight tonight.

Lack of hard drive space remaining means I will not be able to install. I'll live.

iNvid02

your really torn? NO, you'd be really torn if i came into your house with a gun and asked you which one of your parents i would kill.

its just a game, you'll probably enjoy it no matter what console or controller you play it with.

BeeDog

Gary Whitta said:

Good God, I hope you're not as indecisive when you pick plot twists for your new scripts. :p

Deadly Cyclone said:
As I said, reviews indicate the PS3 version is only slightly better and that the 360 version is completely fine. It is more on what system you want to play and what controller you like better than anything.

Then there is this-

929170_68748_front.jpg

Microsoft has shown, countlessly, that they do not care if their customers get a better experience or not.

Sure, they will pay for TIMED exclusivity in games like Call of Duty (which I have absolute 0 interest in), but how the hell does that improve my experience or make my experience look better if the others will be getting that same content at a later date? Add to that we have to PAY for that timed exclusive content, while PS3 gamers get their permanently-exclusive content for free and most of the time it is ON THE DISC.

So Microsoft does not take the video game industry seriously while Sony does.

There are other issues that I can't get into because they'd be off topic, but just take a look at the exclusive games coming out for each platform this year.

C Jones

JAVK said:
This what people on the PS3 or XBox fence should do:

If you are struck between two options, just flip a coin in the air!

It works.

Not because it solves the problem . . . but because while the coin is in the air, You will get to know what your heart is really hoping for....
That's deep.

Gary Whitta said:
If all these news doesn't make the PS3 version the choice for you then your getting the 360 version.

hlhbk

Dabanton said:
Damm it's open warfare in this thread.

People just get what version you want you don't have to justify yourself to other posters.

I want the best technical version and want to pick it up day 1, so I welcome the discussion/comparison.

Interfectum

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Microsoft has shown, countlessly, that they do not care if their customers get a better experience or not.

Sure, they will pay for TIMED exclusivity in games like Call of Duty (which I have absolute 0 interest in), but how the hell does that improve my experience or make my experience look better if the others will be getting that same content at a later date? Add to that we have to PAY for that timed exclusive content, while PS3 gamers get their permanently-exclusive content for free and most of the time it is ON THE DISC.

There are other issues that I can't get into because they'd be off topic, but just take a look at the exclusive games coming out for each platform this year.

Oh for fucks sake...

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Then there is this-

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/0/929170_68748_front.jpg

Because the rest of this post isn't? Good grief.

Night people! It’s 3:03am and I’m starting to get tired......looking forward to reading this thread in the morning. Good times ahead!

InsertNameHere said:
Sounds like shoddy manufacturing control, some are good and some are bad. Guess it's a bit of a gamble?

Seems like it. I'm gonna go ahead and risk it anyway. I can't stand the PS3 controller so even dead zones will be an improvement.

Sethos

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
VERY VERY indecisive.

Just do what I did, I get the superior version and a 360 controller - Yeah, might cost me a bit but money isn't an issue and I get to sleep like a baby tonight =P

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
TheOddOne said:
So I popped in this thread just to read the reviews. This thread has really turned into a warzone.

not sure why either. the game is getting good reviews and the comparison show little difference between consoles. I'm not sure why people are still fighting...

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Then there is this-

What the fuck does any of that has to do with L.A. Noire. I am here to read and talk about the game, not fanboy bullshit like this.

Gary Whitta said:
VERY VERY indecisive.

Wait for the DF comparison then mang! Just wait and be patient. All good things come to those who wait.....for DF comparisons.

Branson

We need Brad in here to clean things up, or at least Gary to talk to Brad since he's around them more often lol. Ive been flipping back and forth and haven't preordered at all.

GreekWolf

Shed_a_Ninja said:

Ok... which one of you left the GameFaqs door open? This is what happens, people.

TheOddOne

Big Ass Ramp said:
not sure why either. the game is getting good reviews and the comparison show little difference. I'm not sure why people are still fighting...
From what I've read nothing to big. Well I'm off, gotta study.

Top Bottom