• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Sethos

Banned
commish said:
The inferior power of the 360 has been showing its head in more and more games nowadays.

... Could be because every developer is going lead on PS3 because the PS3 is a bitch to develop for and the 360 is now being punished because it's easy to develop for and port to.

nib95

Banned
mintylurb said:
From that article it suggests the 360 version will run smoothly once you install it.

The implication I got is that it would run better. Not smoothly. Otherwise they'd have just said so. I.e, the game has issues unless you install it.

styl3s

Appollowexx said:
PS3 is the clear winner in this instance it seems. Which doesn't surprise me, considering this games development history.

Reviews seem to be indicating, that, like Heavy Rain, the ideas and presentation on show are quite revolutionary and unique, but not perfectly executed. Resulting in a good, not great final product. It's a shame they didn't nail everything perfectly, but it's good to see LA Noire is still releasing as a solid title - that will no doubt be a ton of fun to play.

Also I've managed to avoid most media so I should have something to really look forward to come Friday.
clear winner because of 3 disc?

360 will end up having higher resolution, more stable FPS and something else.

just wait.

Sethos

Banned
hlhbk said:
So is it confirmed that the screenshot comparison a few pages back was fake?

They weren't fake, they were just useless because it's based off PR footage and compared with low-qual streams etc.

timmy01

Neo Member
Solo said:
It seems like there is no way NOT to solve a case, it sounds quite repetitive, clue notifications, etc.

Like I said, I'll still get it, but Ill wait for Black Friday and focus my time on The Witcher 2.
clue notifications can be turned off completely.
while there is no way to not solve a case, there is still plenty of incentive to play the game to what you see as the best you can. scoring most obviously, but also the fact that it is only a single auto-saving game file.. so nothing like Heavy Rain where "I'll try this, and then just reload if not correct"

The biggest problem I would see with outright failing a case is a long term "gameover" situation. I mean they are clearly trying to tell a film noir styled narrative which doesn't really lend itself to the "choose your own adventure" styling of Heavy Rain. And thus if it was literally game over because you let a killer go free... how would they really take that into the game? end the game (I'd be pissed to get through only to find that all of the choices I made 40+ minutes ago caused my game to be over)

Not disregarding your opinion on the no-fail aspect.. Just not quite sure how they'd be able to pull off things being failable while a) still telling the story THEY want to tell and b) not causing the player to lose 40+ minutes of gameplay due to a decision they made.. or worse, hours of gameplay due to a decision they made.

LProtag

Reviews seem to say what I've been thinking, that it's doing something differently than most video games do nowadays and is pulling it off quite well, with some minor issues.

I'd say if the game was doing something new and exciting but not pulling it off that great we'd see more scores around 7.0-8.5, but we're getting 8.5-10.

Then again, all these reviews are subjective, etc.

Whatever, really excited for tomorrow when UPS shows up. Just need to get a bit of writing out of the way before then...

Arg looks like I might be back on the PS3 train! LOL I started with PS3 then switched to 360 then I had *both* versions pre-ordered now it looks like I might cancel 360... LOL.

Mind you Brad does say the differences are minor enough that you should still get the game for whatever platform you prefer...

CyReN

Tricky I Shadow said:
The 1 disc was tempting, but the fact that it runs better on the PS3 makes this a no-brainer if you have the option. Gonna switch tomorrow and pick this up:

http://i.imgur.com/b5Cnh.png[/IMG ][/QUOTE]

Don't do it, I fell for it too. It has terrible dead spots and works horribly.

styl3s said:

just wait.

how can you claim this? I trust the guys at giantbomb, they would not go out of the way to mention that the PS3 version is rock solid when the 360 version has some minor issues if the 360 version ran better.

I have both systems and just want the best version..

Sethos

Banned
hlhbk said:
So the textures look worse on 360?

No confirmation really, considering the 360 shots they used to compare were based off low(er) bitrate streams and they will completely dither and remove any details from the video - So you can't judge it. Need direct captures.

styl3s said:

just wait.
Despite what a number of reviews including IGN and Giantbomb are saying? Keep fighting the good fight eh.

keit4

Banned
If all the Xbox version problems are solved with the installation I will go with it. I have the major part of my game collection for that platform, so I will keep buying games for it whenever possible. Waiting for DF's veredict.

styl3s said:

just wait.

Start reading the reviews. Just Push Start, IGN, and Giant Bomb have all stated the PS3 version is the better buy.

hlhbk said:
So is it confirmed that the screenshot comparison a few pages back was fake?

1h73hx.jpg

^That's what fanboys were using for PS3 shots.

Lothars

styl3s said:

just wait.

I'll just wait to hear that your wrong but than your not gonna admit it anyway.

JetBlackPanda said:
how can you claim this? I trust the guys at giantbomb, they would not go out of the way to mention that the PS3 version is rock solid when the 360 version has some minor issues if the 360 version ran better.

I have both systems and just want the best version..
In Brad we trust.

Montresor

I know the PS3 version is better. I know it has an exclusive case, the Consul's Car, that will very likely stay exclusive forever. It plays on one disc, instead of three, so there is no disc swapping. And it is superior graphically, with no framerate or pop-in issues.

Why am I keeping my 360 pre-order? I just can't put my finger on it. For whatever reason, I just don't want to play on the PS3.

In either case, I find a lot of the reviews pouring in very promising (regarding the CORE game play elements). I'm excited to play this game.

For everyone flip-flopping on which version to buy, why not just wait for a proper Digital Foundry comparison? Unless you have no patience and need to get it day 1, of course. If I was so concerned about technical differences though, I would surely wait for DF to come through with their overview. I will be picking this up on 360, as I have no PS3 and there isn't a PC version. So easy choice for me, lol.

Big Ass Ramp said:
99% of us haven't even play the game yet, maybe we should shelf the GOTY calls for now.
You're right, we should save that for when Skyrim comes out.

commish said:
I don't understand why people have a problem with this. I am willing to bet that 95% of people who buy this game don't know or care which dev team developed this game. Most people have a preconceived notion of how a Rockstar game looks and plays, based off of GTA and, most recently, RDR. They will go into this game expecting it to be like GTA and RDR, and I really can't fault them for that.
If I was a member of the dev team I would be downright offended if credit wasn't given properly. It's simple as that. The creative industries are funny like that.

Anyway didn't mean to bring that up and I'm done with it. I'm sticking with my Ps3 version. Very happy to see the review scores so far. I'm surprised to hear some of the comments regarding the emotional level compared to heavy rain.

nib95

Banned
Montresor said:
I know the PS3 version is better. I know it has an exclusive case, the Consul's Car, that will very likely stay exclusive forever. It plays on one disc, instead of three, so there is no disc swapping. And it is superior graphically, with no framerate or pop-in issues.

Why am I keeping my 360 pre-order? I just can't put my finger on it. For whatever reason, I just don't want to play on the PS3.

Lol...

Hyphen

Angry Fork said:
GT is notorious for handing out spoilers left and right without warning. I remember going to their site around MGS4 time and seeing a Shadow Moses video right on the front page. Pissed me off so much because I was on a MGS blackout and would've liked to be surprised by Shadow Moses when playing, instead those douches put it out in the open as if it's not a big deal.

Yep, I know exactly how you feel mate. I don't even go to their website anymore, let alone be fearful of their reviews.

Anyway...

Destructoid said:
True maturity and narrative depth in mainstream gaming begins right here.

Count me in!
Set the sequel in the 80s (Miami Vice style), and I'll be all over that too. Oh my, that would be awesome!

I haven't fully read every review, but I hear that there are some complaints about the slow and methodical nature of the game. Well, that's exactly what I want personally. I love games that take their time, and allow me to take my time too. Hell, I wouldn't mind starting off the game in the police academy, and working my way from there. But that's just me... :eek:)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gary Whitta said:
Don't forget Brad also said this:

This. All the reviews pretty much show that both versions are great, if you have both systems get the game on the one you play on most. I have both systems but will be getting this for 360 because I like the controller better and use private chat on live a lot.

Hopefully more devs follow the trend of PS3 lead. It seems to be much easier, and you end up with a good game on both platforms + you can actually take advantage of Blu-ray and just split the 360 version. It sucks that the PS3 has all this unused space on so many games because devs go 360 lead and avoid multiple disks.

I hope Rockstar in particular keeps this trend going.

Darklord

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Don't forget Brad also said this:

After saying this:
the PlayStation 3 game is the clear-cut winner. Both versions of the game look fantastic, but there were a few instances of painful frame rate drops and objects drawing in too slowly on the Xbox that didn't exist on the PS3.

If I had both consoles, the PS3 would definitely be the way to go. I only have a 360 so I don't have a choice.

commish said:
The inferior power of the 360 has been showing its head in more and more games nowadays.

Have fun with that exclusive downloadable DLC. Oh, wait...

But in all seriousness, excited to pick up my 360 version of this game. I'm glad they decided to make it multi-platform. I'm usually willing to pick up PS3 exclusives, but I'm always happy when amazing games like this come to both systems, so I can play it on my platform of choice.

Dabanton

Well hopefully we should see a DF faceoff by thursday someone asked him yesterday when he'd be doing it.

Digital_Foundry Digital Foundry
@lee_ford @RandomBastard Hopefully before the UK launch on Friday.

Montresor said:

So you just want to give Microsoft the satisfaction that you prefer to have an inferior experience?

There is a reason why my Xbox 360 collects dust and will not be getting an XBL renewal.

seady

Damn 2 out of my top 3 most anticipated games are releasing within a month (this and portal 2). The other being The Last Guardian. :(

Any word yet on if the exclusive bonus case for the PS3 version is US only?!

CyReN said:
Don't do it, I fell for it too. It has terrible dead spots and works horribly.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! You people are confusing the shit out of me here!

Grisby

Nice reviews. 20 hours or so is more than enough game for me.

Some of the bickering on the versions is pretty immature though.

Beaulieu

so is this a thread about the game or about what version is better ?

who gives a fuck about which version looks 1% better, just pick up a version and thats it. God damn.

So anyone here played the game already? I'm also kind of bummed out that you cannot fail a case, and precision in interrogations is kinda useless....

I'll still play this, for the story and ambiance. That animation tech is also crazy. The hispanic bus driver from that IGN video review looked fuckin real. I could read sarcasm on his face, that's awesome.

Top Bottom