• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Gametrailers gave Story 9.8 and Presentation 9.6.

sweetjesus.gif

Drakeon

Branson said:
We need Brad in here to clean things up, or at least Gary to talk to Brad since he's around them more often lol. Ive been flipping back and forth and haven't preordered at all.

Brad already said it essentially didn't matter:
Brad Shoemaker said:
This is splitting hairs since, both games look good enough that you should just get the one on the platform you prefer

CAW

Sethos said:
Just do what I did, I get the superior version and a 360 controller - Yeah, might cost me a bit but money isn't an issue and I get to sleep like a baby tonight =P
You mean, there's a PC version?! ;)

From the the Gamespot review... "Early investigations are very limited"

That makes me hopeful that there is more variety in later investigations.

lucius

Yeah just get what version you want, knowing 2 of the biggest respected game sites says PS3 version is better and u are still on the fence, I think that answered your question you always wanted the 360 version and should buy it. I prefer gaming on 360,but I rather have the better version, 1 disc, extra content, plus I have much more 360 games so space is getting limited on 250 HD. PS3 version all the way for me.

mcawesome

Neo Member
Reading some of these reviews are hyping me up. I can't wait till Tuesday. Is there really a discernible difference between the 360 and PS3 or are people just arguing for the sake of arguing?

LiK

It's being compared to Phoenix Wright, hopefully Crapcom will localize Miles Edgeworth 2 if this sells well. I want the hype to bleed over!

Dabanton said:
Damm it's open warfare in this thread.

People just get what version you want you don't have to justify yourself to other posters.
Its not warfare to ask which platform is going to offer up the most polished experience. Based upon the reviews and this thread it looks like PS3 version for me, once this goes on sale. Its far too linear and lacks replayability for a day one perch.

Evlar

Banned
mcawesome said:
Reading some of these reviews are hyping me up. I can't wait till Tuesday. Is there really a discernible difference between the 360 and PS3 or are people just arguing for the sake of arguing?
Reviewers say there is a difference, seems to center on framerate and screen tearing issues. Who knows how frequent and whether it's a minor issue or regular distraction.

EDIT: And pop-in.

Lothars

NullPointer said:
Its not warfare to ask which platform is going to offer up the most polished experience. Based upon the reviews and this thread it looks like PS3 version for me, once this goes on sale. Its far too linear and lacks replayability for a day one perch.

How do you know it lacks replayablity? can't you replay cases or use the open world? I don't see how it lacks replayablity for a day one purchase.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
boundedseven said:
Any reviews that mention the differences between the two versions?

Have you not read the last 3 pages of the thread? I don't think there's anything else discussed.

GreekWolf

boundedseven said:
Any reviews that mention the differences between the two versions?
So far, reviews (IGN, Giant Bomb) mention that the PS3 version runs smoother and less pop-in.

No one has mentioned anything about resolution or texture differences. We'll get that with DF's comparison this weekend.

Im pretty excited for this, this is the first time ive ever not watched almost anything on purpose for a game. The only thing ive seen was the gameplay reveal. I hope I dont get spoiled between now and tomorrow somehow.

AiTM

Banned
God FUCK YOU IGN, and your spoilerific reviews.

Now I know what what time in the game to expect a big twist. And I know how many cases, and I know what you mainly will be spending all of your time doing. They give away so much shit that doesn't speak to how good the game is. God why do they do that shit, it serves no purpose. They dont need to be specific about what time they saw a big twist, or even mention that it had a big twist. Im done with reading reviews.

Lothars said:
How do you know it lacks replayablity? can't you replay cases or use the open world? I don't see how it lacks replayablity for a day one purchase.
I haven't seen anything that lends itself to replayability. The open world isn't used as a sandbox, cases are linear and you replay them for score, and all there is to the game is case work, with some car collection and finding newspapers. If there's more to it I'd love to know, but it looks like this is a story focused game/interactive movie - the kind of thing that truly satisfies on the first (and probably only) playthrough. For some people that's exactly what they're craving, but not for me, not day one at premium prices, no.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tylahedras said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-l-a-noire/713929

Looks like a great movie, maybe that's what they should have made.
Seriously? There is a lot of gameplay in there on top of the cinematic stuff. Many of the scenes are interactive as well, which is not something you could have accomplished with a film.

Besides, how many movies last 20 hours? As a game, the developers can take their time in regards to fleshing out the world and drawing the players in. It's not just about the story but everything you do while experiencing it.

Read a few of these reviews... super-hyped. The scores fell where I figured they'd fall, and I pretty much was suspecting some of these cons, but it sounds great regardless.

Big Ass Ramp said:
you guys should seriously watch the kotaku video. There's little to no spoilers and it shows off the game mechanics beautifully.

http://kotaku.com/5802203/14-minutes-of-la-noires-unexpected-thrills

Totilo encounters a moment in replaying the case for the video that didn't occur the first time, and that he didn't expect! Awesome. He also does a great job of showcasing the game mechanics and not spoiling anything (except maybe locations).

BeeDog

The one thing I hope this game nails is the conclusion. Too many games these days can't even wrap up the shit they start, and it's starting to bother me a lot.

dark10x said:
Seriously? There is a lot of gameplay in there on top of the cinematic stuff. Many of the scenes are interactive as well, which is not something you could have accomplished with a film.

There is an entire generation that has probably never played a LucasArts PC adventure game in their lives. Heh.

BeeDog said:
The one thing I hope this game nails is the conclusion. Too many games these days can't even wrap up the shit they start, and it's starting to bother me a lot.
Completely agree. I was quickly reminded of what a good ending looks like when I beat Portal 2 recently.

Why you guys think that gamespot didn't review the 360 version? Does that suggest its score will be different? Meaning its likely to be lower?

I was on the fence, but Brad Shoemaker's review, and Stephen Tortillo's video run down have swung me. Preordered, now to finish RDR before Friday.

And with that, I'll be ducking out of this clusterfuck of a thread.

New clothes for Cole? Waist coat sans jacket?

1784273-la_noire_screenshot_440_super.jpg

Fixed1979

I've tried very hard to pay little attention to this title so I wouldn't get excited. Will be picking it up tomorrow for PS3, hopefully it's a fun ride.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
gl0w said:
GAF, i dont have a DS3, will it have any impact on the gameplay ? (due to the lack of vibration)

I think it will make the game harder. Which is awesome.

new game gets mixed reviews from good to great... that's usually a buy for me. not liking the sound of how the interrogations work though. still up in the air trying to figure out whether or not to snatch this tomorrow. pre-order bonuses you taunt me so.

Top Bottom