• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Fjordson

Proposed Law said:
any one worried that R* isn't making this, just publishing?
Not really. Team Bondi could hit it out of the park for all we know.

But I don't think we have any reason to believe that this wasn't subject to Rockstar's touch. IGN had a podcast/interview with the "art director for the game" and it was Rob Nelson of Rockstar (who also worked on Red Dead Redemption), the soundtrack supervisor in that interview I posted above is from Rockstar and he worked on the GTA games and Red Dead Redemption as well. And I doubt their involvement stops there.

Edit: Also heard that Lazlow was on the Opie & Anthony show this week talking about LA Noire and he too helped work on the game.

StuBurns

Banned
Buckethead said:
It wasn't "Rockstar" who made GTA 3 either.
That's really not the same thing. It's the same people in that example, it's not with this.

However I'm sure Rockstar wouldn't let it ship if it wasn't up to their quality standards.

hadn't really kept track of this, so now that it's less than a week away i'm really happy. snuck up on me. I buy any open world game rockstar makes/publishes.

i hope it uses euphoria, or at least something on par with it.

i'll be a day one on this.

fernoca

Awesome OT! :)

I was ignoring the game for quite a good amount of time ,though still checked some screenshots here and there...then I learned that the case of the Black Dahlia murders is the basis of the story! My dad and I (mostly my dad since he was a kid back then, but read about it everywhere) have been following the case, books and even the recent movie (which was good, although not directly based on the case; but more like inspired by it).

So now, I'm wondering which version to get....and how to find $60 to get it. XD

MMaRsu

PooBone said:
This game looks awesome, but I am cautiously waiting for reviews. I've not enjoyed a Rockstar game since Vice City, including GTA4 and RDR. This game actually reminds me more of Heavy Rain than either of those titles though.

This is NOT a Rockstar game. Can't people read?

Also read the OP on side missions, there's not much.

This is going to be a linear story based game, not really a game like GTA where you'll have bunch of stuff to do outside of the main story.

RedStep

Gary Whitta said:
Well it's not just a cosmetic outfit, it gives you extra health and melee damage!

Indeed. I'm basing it on the Red Dead Redemption costumes, some of which offered bonuses. I couldn't really tell the difference (except those that gave actual abilities rather than bonuses) and just stuck with whatever for most of it.

Amazon's price/deal combo is definitely better, in any case.

I'm still not sure about this game.

Is there any walkthrough-type videos out there which explain how the game will play?

I don't think the trailers I've seen really explain it well enough.

Also the game's graphics sometimes look really nice and at other times look like total dog shit.

I think I'll have to wait for the reviews to make my mind up on this unique game.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The premise of strong-arming perps has me at half-mast.

I hope my partner in the game asks me "Can you swing a sack of doorknobs?"

Why, yes. Yes I can, sir.

3N16MA

Banned
ashbash159 said:
I'm still not sure about this game.

Is there any walkthrough-type videos out there which explain how the game will play?

I don't think the trailers I've seen really explain it well enough.

Also the game's graphics sometimes look really nice and at other times look like total dog shit.

I think I'll have to wait for the reviews to make my mind up on this unique game.

Gametrailers has their gameplay series which gives a bit of a walkthrough on how it plays.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-l-a-noire/713070
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-l-a-noire/711461
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-l-a-noire/710343

Plasmid

graywolf323 said:
I know that the Wal-Mart bonus supposedly comes in the game case itself but is that true of the GameStop one as well?

I usually get pre-order dlc inside the game case, that's how it was for RDR.

MMaRsu said:
This is NOT a Rockstar game. Can't people read?

Also read the OP on side missions, there's not much.

This is going to be a linear story based game, not really a game like GTA where you'll have bunch of stuff to do outside of the main story.
that's good, all the stuff outside the story in R* stuff is usually filler junk. I love to replay GT4/RDR on critical path and the story is great.

fernoca

graywolf323 said:
I know that the Wal-Mart bonus supposedly comes in the game case itself but is that true of the GameStop one as well?
Yep.
Pre-Order L.A. Noire with GameStop and receive a code to unlock the exclusive vice case,
  • The Naked City and the Badge Pursuit Challenge.
  • The Naked City: In a standalone case from the main story, Detective Cole Phelps investigates the supposed suicide of a stunning fashion model.
  • Badge Pursuit Challenge: Unlocks 20 Police badges to find across Los Angeles. Collect all 20 to unlock more bonus items.

Online Customers : A code with instructions will be packaged with your game.

Store Customers/In-Store Pickup Customers : A code with instructions will be packaged with your game.

Plasmid said:
I usually get pre-order dlc inside the game case, that's how it was for RDR.
Some of Gamestop's preorder DLCs are just printed in the receipt, depends in the game most of the time; and the country: Gamestop US gave MK-retro Scorppion in a code printed on the receipt, Gamestop CA gave the same code on a card/voucher.

fernoca

JetBlackPanda said:
If PSN is up by release should I just go with that version?

life was easier when I was a 1 console peasant.
Depends. Since downloads are usually tied to the PS Store, and they've said that the Store won't be up the same day as the PSN-online service. But we'll have to wait and see.

If anything ,just wait a few more days before making a decision. Though is not like not being able to use the Rockstar Pass and download the extra DLC-preroder; will detract from the overall experience.

Fjordson

JetBlackPanda said:
If PSN is up by release should I just go with that version?

life was easier when I was a 1 console peasant.
Tough to say. If the bonus content matters to you, you might not be able to access it right away because of the PSN situation. At the same time, if disc swapping annoys you then the PS3 version is the way to go.

I would just wait for some technical comparisons if you're unsure.

Fjordson

Jtrizzy said:
So what are the shooting mechanics like?
Going strictly by looks alone, they look similar to Red Dead Redemption. No clue how it'll actually feel, though. And it's a safe bet that there won't be any sort of Dead Eye targeting, lol.

Fjordson said:
Going strictly by looks alone, they look similar to Red Dead Redemption. No clue how it'll actually feel, though. And it's a safe bet that there won't be any sort of Dead Eye targeting, lol.

Yep. Just re-watched some footage and it looks very GTAIV/RDRish. For me, that's a good thing..never had an issue with the shooting mechanics of either game.

Fjordson

CloakedPuppet said:
Yep. Just re-watched some footage and it looks very GTA4/RDRish. For me, that's a good thing..never had an issue with the shooting mechanics of either game.
I thought the combat in RDR was a ton of fun so I'm in the same boat.
Solo said:
Not to veer off-topic, but any chance of R* announcing Red Dead 3 at E3? I no longer care about GTA.
I wish. Would love that or GTA V, but I doubt it. By the off chance that they do show up at E3 in some form or another, GTA V seems more likely.

Solo said:
Not to veer off-topic, but any chance of R* announcing Red Dead 3 at E3? I no longer care about GTA.

I highly doubt we'll hear about a RDR sequel this gen. They've taken more than 3 YEARS to even get to the next installment of GTA, so yeah. Plus there are numerous other titles like Agent, Max Payne, GTA V, whatever Rockstar New England, Toronto, and San Diego are working on that might have started production before they knew RDR would blow up the way it did.

Lakitu

st5fu
So I can be an incompetent fuck-up and fail cases all the time?

It's about time this gen brought around a true detective game. Can't believe it's taken so long.

Forkball said:
The faces look so weird in this game. It's like I'm watching film of a person's face projected on a 3D model.

I don't know. I felt that way when I first saw footage of the game. Now I love it...it has me spoiled for any other kind of facial animation tech. I think I'll need some downtime between games if I'm going back and forth.

bitoriginal said:
I'm hoping this game lives up to the hype. Really looking forward to it, however I hope it's more Red Dead than Mafia II.

Agreed. I loved Mafia II but felt a little let down by it's linearity and shorter campaign.

AEREC said:
Is this 100% confirmed somewhere? I keep hearing it but Ive never seen any proof and the game looks like it's using RAGE (aside from the faces).

Exactly my question, especially since we've seen that leaked footage and the game looks almost exactly like other RAGE games (they way the Cole and the NPCs move, the way the cars handle, the HUD, the map, heck I think I saw an NPC with a car on the side of the road with the truck open like in GTA IV).

Kintaco

How does Gamestop usually handle the exclusive content? I have the game pre-ordered at Amazon, but I wanted to pre-order from Gamestop as well and then return it after getting the exclusive content. :D

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OP, OP.

6 more days and I'll be indulging on some greatness. Rockstar should continue their streak of no mediocre games yet.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I just hope that this is a game worthy of the Rockstar name. Last couple of Rockstar games have actually been developed by Rockstar. This game is being made by a dev that hasnt done anything in like 5+ years.

Im debating right now whether to keep my amazon preorder or wait and lose out on game credits for reviews.

Kintaco said:
How does Gamestop usually handle the exclusive content? I have the game pre-ordered at Amazon, but I wanted to pre-order from Gamestop as well and then return it after getting the exclusive content. :D
Poorly. The times where I was given a code it was handed to me on a card and even then they might not have enough for everybody who preordered.

graywolf323

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Poorly. The times where I was given a code it was handed to me on a card and even then they might not have enough for everybody who preordered.

they haven't done physical cards they have to hand out in a long time

nowadays it's either a code printed on your receipt or it comes prepackaged in the game case

Top Bottom