• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Funtruck said:
reviewers are clearly saying the game is amazing and maybe even a classic yet people are still picking apart the minor flaws and making them seem bigger than they are.

calm down
AAAAAH LINEARITY, ROCKSTAR GAMES, BIG WORLDS.

Appreciate the different orientation people. :-/

CoffeeJanitor said:
People are being critical about the game, get over it. It happens with every game.
Get over what? I'm just asking what are people expecting not that they shouldn't voice their opinion. I know people get critical but that doesn't mean I'll leave trivial judgments unnoticed.

Truespeed said:
Also what's with the 3 DVD 360 criticism? Being able to dump the entire game onto the HDD seems like an advantage to me on several fronts.

people still splitting hairs about console superiority at a point where it just doesn't even matter anymore. these are the true console warriors.

whitehawk

Banned
Smision said:
people still splitting hairs about console superiority at a point where it just doesn't even matter anymore. these are the true console warriors.
Yup. The differences seem to be so played out, when really it's not that big of a deal. All I know is that I prefer the 360 controller, so that's what I'm getting.

iceatcs

Truespeed said:
Also what's with the 3 DVD 360 criticism? Being able to dump the entire game onto the HDD seems like an advantage to me on several fronts.
Wait, so you can stay DVD1 all the way to the end if you installed all of 3 dvds on the HDD?

Coldsnap

Read the Giantbomb review and this seems like one of the best rockstar games. I can't wait to see the look on my friends faces when they realized they can't spend 200 hours being stoned and blowing up cities / roping ladies like they did in GTA4 and RDR

Tiktaalik

So Rockstar has a site that will tell you the midnight launch locations but it's USA only. Does anyone know if there are going to be midnight launches in Canada? I'm in Vancouver.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tiktaalik said:
So Rockstar has a site that will tell you the midnight launch locations but it's USA only. Does anyone know if there are going to be midnight launches in Canada? I'm in Vancouver.
EB is doing one in Vancouver I think. Only 3 stores in the country are doing it though. :lol:

Joe Shlabotnik said:
And again, you haven't been able to make a consequential "mistake" in most adventure games for the last 20 years.
Heavy Rain lives by consequential mistakes and choices, and that's what this game will be compared to.

Its OK by me though. They wanted it linear for a good reason I take it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm looking at that GamesRadar video now...it almost seems like the bump mapping is better on the 360 version. Too hard to tell with the low resolution video and difference in contrast, though.

firehawk12 said:
EB is doing one in Vancouver I think. Only 3 stores in the country are doing it though. :lol:

Gamestop in Orleans, as well.

kaskade

LyleLanley said:
Do people really care about the 3 discs? It's a 20+ hour game, were you going to leave the disc in there the whole time anyways?
I was going to get a big bag of chips, some soda, put my dick in a bottle and play straight through. Now I can't.

Tiktaalik

Weird. I tried calling two Vancouver area EB/Gamestops and the phone just rang and rang.

edit: Duh. They close at 7. I didn't think it would be the case, since one is in the downtown mall, but it's true.

leadbelly said:
I'm wondering if there is a toilet scene?

What's the facial expressions like?

209.jpg

leadbelly

Banned
LyleLanley said:
Do people really care about the 3 discs? It's a 20+ hour game, were you going to leave the disc in there the whole time anyways?

Not really. I'm more bothered about framerate issues. I have a PS3 as well though, so I'm going to buy it for that.

LyleLanley said:

For me it's not at all about having to get up and swap the 3 discs, it's the fact that I simply don't have any space on my hard-drive to install them all.

And since I have the choice.....why wouldn’t I go for 1 disc over 3? The fact that the PS3 version isn't gimped this time makes it an easier choice too.

kaskade

Gary Whitta said:
Putting LA CONFIDENTIAL in the Blu-ray player tonight to psych myself up for this tomorrow!
I just watched that for the first time a few days ago, awesome movie. I think playing the game in Clubmasters would greatly enhance the experience.

leadbelly

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Putting LA CONFIDENTIAL in the Blu-ray player tonight to psych myself up for this tomorrow!

lol

I've taped a huge screenshot of the game over my HDTV and I'm going to sit there with my controller for about an hour. I think I may change it for different one and sit there for another hour.

Fjordson

whitehawk said:
Oh my gosh. The soundtrack is amazing. Just listen to the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMlFFSC5sKc
God damn, I think I'm going to have to buy the OST. Every track I've heard is excellent.
Gary Whitta said:
Was thinking the same thing =D

I've been watching my friend play the game and I finally had to leave so as to not spoil anything too far in. Seriously though, the overall presentation in this game seems flawless. Or at least what's there in the first few hours is. Every piece of dialogue, every actor, every music cue, the city, the environments. It all fits together perfectly. Immersion through the roof.

Also, the driving is surprisingly fun. Cruised around a bit between cases and I like it a lot. My guess is it's probably going to be a divisive thing, though. Anyone who was a fan of GTA IV's car physics will be disappointed. This feels more arcadey, for lack of a better term.

Gary Whitta said:

I also watched this again on the weekend (hadn't done so since my childhood).

Didn't remember thinking it was such a great moving when I was a kid, maybe I'm just in the mood for this type of thing because of the game coming out but I damn well loved the shit outta it. I thought the gun fights in this move were some of the most realistically filmed that I've ever seen. Most of them that you see in movies feel over the top and gun ho arnie type things, but these felt like dudes having a shoot out and most likely going to die... is a great and very real feeling movie.

Loved it.

leadbelly

Banned
leadbelly said:
lol

I've taped a huge screenshot of the game over my HDTV and I'm going to sit there with my controller for about an hour. I think I may change it for different one and sit there for another hour.

Wait a minute... I could just use a fullscreen jpg image. And I've spent all this time printing out screenshots. :(

Very excited for tomorrow.

Probably will just cruise the city doing the side missions and getting the collectibles first then go after the story if possible.

ToyBroker

Banned
Truespeed said:

Because you still need to change disks? Installing to the HD still makes you switch disks.

Kintaco

Anyone lined up at one of the Best Buy midnight launches? What does the crowd look like. I'm thinking of heading out about 10pm, I can't imagine a large crowd.

Kung Fu Grip said:
So whose going to bestbuy tonight?
I am...and it's supposed to start raining tonight too!

Truespeed

iceatcs said:
Wait, so you can stay DVD1 all the way to the end if you installed all of 3 dvds on the HDD?

Don't see why it would differ from any other multi-disc 360 game - Forza 3 in particular.

Hi. This is your 12-year-old self. I was just playing Deja Vu on NES. It's really cool - you feel like you have all this freedom to go from place to place while solving this crazy mystery. You don't know who you are, there's a murder, etc. Awesome story. I got stuck in a few places, but eventually made it through.

So what are you playing? L.A. Noire, huh? How is that?

Oh, the bump mapping on your 360 version sucks? That's a bummer. The framerate drops to 30 in a few places? GEEZ! Bummer man. So you're torn on which version you should buy, and comparing screenshots to....

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ARGUING ABOUT THIS SHIT?!?! You have an amazing game that was just released, and you're arguing about fucking bump mapping and fucking native resolutions? Who the fuck cares? Play the fucking game. Enjoy it, or don't. But arguing over this shit is completely insane.

whitehawk

Banned
Fong Ghoul said:
Hi. This is your 12-year-old self. I was just playing Deja Vu on NES. It's really cool - you feel like you have all this freedom to go from place to place while solving this crazy mystery. You don't know who you are, there's a murder, etc. Awesome story. I got stuck in a few places, but eventually made it through.

Oh, the bump mapping on your 360 version sucks? That's a bummer. The framerate drops to 30 in a few places? GEEZ! Bummer man. So you're torn on which version you should buy, and comparing screenshots to....

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ARGUING ABOUT THIS SHIT?!?! You have an amazing game that was just released, and you're arguing about fucking bump mapping and fucking native resolutions? Who the fuck cares? Play the fucking game. Enjoy it, or don't. But arguing over this shit is completely insane.
I like this post.

Fong Ghoul said:

Oh sure, remind me an hour before release that I have a working NES hooked up and a copy of Deja Vu somewhere around here.

Top Bottom