• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Fjordson

Tom Penny said:
I was hoping for a game in which what your doing matters. You can purposely ask the the worse questions and still get through the game. A game like this should branch out based on your decisions. Instead every investigation is somehow correct? No consequences? It's basically a linear choose your own adventure were you are never wrong in the end.
The cases do change based on your decisions, though. At least the ones I've seen. Some drastically so. I get what you're saying about still getting through the game, and it would be awesome if that idea was fully realized some day, but what's there is really neat in my opinion.

NewFresh

Just got back from a midnight launch.

Damn those gamestop employees really push those pre-orders. I had already paid for the game and yet I had to sit through a 5 min spiel about every game coming out in the next year.

Will play once I get back from school tomorrow.

The Lamp

Dr Eggman said:
I'm pretty sure there are consequences. Imagine choosing a wrong answer and not being able to complete the mission. That'll lead to frustration not immersion.

Being a detective is all about frustration!

EmmanuelMunoz said:

Damn those gamestop employees really push those pre-orders. I had already paid for the game and yet I had to sit through a 5 min spiel about every game coming out in the next year.

This is why I pledged allegiance to Amazon <3

TheHakku

Anyone else having trouble redeeming their codes (just trying to use them online so I can rid of the papers)? Might be because the game just came out.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Fong Ghoul said:
Hi. This is your 12-year-old self. I was just playing Deja Vu on NES. It's really cool - you feel like you have all this freedom to go from place to place while solving this crazy mystery. You don't know who you are, there's a murder, etc. Awesome story. I got stuck in a few places, but eventually made it through.

So what are you playing? L.A. Noire, huh? How is that?

Oh, the bump mapping on your 360 version sucks? That's a bummer. The framerate drops to 30 in a few places? GEEZ! Bummer man. So you're torn on which version you should buy, and comparing screenshots to....

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ARGUING ABOUT THIS SHIT?!?! You have an amazing game that was just released, and you're arguing about fucking bump mapping and fucking native resolutions? Who the fuck cares? Play the fucking game. Enjoy it, or don't. But arguing over this shit is completely insane.

you are my favorite junior.

Shiv47

Best Buy didn't get their codes in for their exclusive DLC, so we had to provide email addresses to have it sent to us. We got a free drink for our troubles. Now to play the game.

DevelopmentArrested said:
After a couple hours of each: ps3 - better shadows, faster loading, less pop-in, less frame-rate drops. But both versions are great because the game is fucking awesome.
You bought two copies

wat

Big-ass Ramp

EmmanuelMunoz said:

this is one of the myriad of reasons I no longer go to Gamestop.

Tamanon

Banned
Gamestop almost lured me into preordering Modern Warfare 3, the Time poster they were giving out was pretty sweet. But they also had free pretzels and pizza, so it's all good, they can shill and feed.

Tom Penny

Dr Eggman said:
I'm pretty sure there are consequences. Imagine choosing a wrong answer and not being able to complete the mission. That'll lead to frustration not immersion.

How so? You can't fail a conversation and the people you catch or get away or are thrown in jail are scripted regardless of your questions. In the end it's a choose your adventure book that has the same ending no matter what you do in the game. At least that is everything I have read. The game is about being a detective and yet you can be the worse detective ever and it's irrelevant. I thought it would be a game of choices. It isn't at all.

Not a whole bunch of people at the midnight release in the Twin Cities. That's expected though.

Still a bit surprising considering how many showed up last year for RDR, somewhere around 130.

styl3s

EmmanuelMunoz said:

Do what i do, the second i walk up to the counter i straight up tell them i don't want to pre-order anything, i don't want any strategy guides, i don't want the game used if you have it and i don't want a subscription to your magazine.

been doing it for years and not once have they asked me to pre-order, buy used, buy guides or subscribe to their magazine

Tamanon

Banned
Tom Penny said:
How so? You can't fail a conversation and the people you catch or get away or are thrown in jail are scripted regardless of your questions. In the end it's a choose your adventure book that has the same ending no matter what you do in the game. At least that is everything I have read. The game is about being a detective and yet you can be the worse detective ever and it's irrelevant. I thought it would be a game of choices. It isn't at all.

According to Brad's review on GiantBomb, you can arrest the wrong people.

You can't "fail" a case, per se; you'll always conclude it by nabbing someone--again, making an arrest is more important to most of these cops than discovering the truth--even if that someone isn't actually the right person.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Fong Ghoul said:
Hi. This is your 12-year-old self. I was just playing Deja Vu on NES. It's really cool - you feel like you have all this freedom to go from place to place while solving this crazy mystery. You don't know who you are, there's a murder, etc. Awesome story. I got stuck in a few places, but eventually made it through.

So what are you playing? L.A. Noire, huh? How is that?

Oh, the bump mapping on your 360 version sucks? That's a bummer. The framerate drops to 30 in a few places? GEEZ! Bummer man. So you're torn on which version you should buy, and comparing screenshots to....

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ARGUING ABOUT THIS SHIT?!?! You have an amazing game that was just released, and you're arguing about fucking bump mapping and fucking native resolutions? Who the fuck cares? Play the fucking game. Enjoy it, or don't. But arguing over this shit is completely insane.

Deja Vu remains my favorite NES game of all time. <3

CoffeeJanitor said:
You bought two copies

wat
Dont usually but Gf wanted to play it asap hehe.

Game is so awesome.

+ Facial animations are unbelievable. Dialogue, atmosphere are excellent.
+ Vehicle controls and shooting mechanics much better than GTA4.
+ Crime scene searching is fun, what I wanted out of Heavy Rain.
+ Incredibly addictive - just keep wanting to rank up, solve cases.
- Minor bugs like in any open world game.
- Loading (without install) and pop-in are bad on 360.

styl3s said:
Do what i do, the second i walk up to the counter i straight up tell them i don't want to pre-order anything, i don't want any strategy guides, i don't want the game used if you have it and i don't want a subscription to your magazine.

been doing it for years and not once have they asked me to pre-order, buy used, buy guides or subscribe to their magazine

I just send my agent in. Haven't been in one of those places for over a year. The thought alone makes me want to smack somebody.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
TheHakku said:
Anyone else having trouble redeeming their codes (just trying to use them online so I can rid of the papers)? Might be because the game just came out.
PS3 version? AFAIK, the code database is updated on Tuesdays, around the same time the store is updated. It could be the codes haven't been unlocked/added to the database yet. If that's the case, you'll have to wait till the database is updated. They might update it later in the day, but my guess is they'll probably wait until the store has the content before unlocking them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there an actual case-wide thread you're following, or is it an individual case procedural?

Just got my copy from bestbuy. And a free soda or water.

Somebody tell me why they didn't have the codes for the DLC case and we had to fill out a piece of paper with our name and number so they can call us when they get it? Fucking amateurs.

Kintaco

Big Papa Husker said:
I'm in line at Best Buy. There are about 10-15 people here. Hopefully they aren't all getting the PS3 version. :D
How long before midnight where you're at? How much earlier did you get there?

Big-ass Ramp

it's gotten to the point with gamestop where I avoid doing any business with them because I know I'm going to be pressured. I mean, that can't be a good business strategy.

Kintaco

Killthee said:
PS3 version? AFAIK, the code database is updated on Tuesdays, around the same time the store is updated. It could be the codes haven't been unlocked/added to the database yet. If that's the case, you'll have to wait till the database is updated. They might update it later in the day, but my guess is they'll probably wait until the store has the content before unlocking them.
I'm pretty sure this happened with RDR as well.

styl3s

NEOPARADIGM said:
I just send my agent in. Haven't been in one of those places for over a year. The thought alone makes me want to smack somebody.
why? i never have problems with GS, don't understand all the hate..

so they try to sell shit on you, just about every retail store does rather its product insurance, product discount cards etc.

been shopping at GS since it was babbages and not once have it gotten a "new used" game as some people say or any other problems, maybe it's because the store here isn't ran by douche shits.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Got it. First midnight release I'd been to & Gamespot had their shit together. Got there at 11:55 & was out by 12:03. My local gamestop is actually pretty sweet, maybe because I live in a college town.

Can't play it till tomorrow when my girlfriend gets off work. The 360 packaging is nice & the pre-order came with some nice little filmstrips. So that's cool.

Kintaco

Big Papa Husker said:
I'm in central time. I got here about 5 or so minutes ago.
Good stuff, I guess I'll just head out at 11p rather than 10p. I'm in L.A. and was debating when to head out. It doesn't seem like they even got the DLC codes in. Good times to be had.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Just got my copy from bestbuy. And a free soda or water.

Somebody tell me why they didn't have the codes for the DLC case and we had to fill out a piece of paper with our name and number so they can call us when they get it? Fucking amateurs.
They just asked how many people were getting each version because they have 16 cards of each. Sucks yours didn't have them.

Kintaco

styl3s said:

so they try to sell shit on you, just about every retail store does rather its product insurance, product discount cards etc.

been shopping at GS since it was babbages and not once have it gotten a "new used" game as some people say or any other problems, maybe it's because the store here isn't ran by douche shits.
My dislike for them comes from getting an opened "new" game from them, which I returned because it didn't sit well with me. And generally I can get better deals elsewhere. Also the gouging on trade in/used games doesn't help matters in my eyes.

styl3s said:
... maybe it's because the store here isn't ran by douche shits.

:lol

I suspect you're onto something.

My guy, it's not just offering the shit they have to offer, it's being all condescending with it.

Him: Want to preorder anything?
Me: No.
Him: Madden 12 coming up. NCAA Football.
Me: No thanks.
Him: You're not gonna buy anymore games this year?
Me: [......]

Rinse and repeat with subtle variances - basically going beyond the asking part and into the realm of asking why not. Every time I went in there. Fuck off with that shit.

styl3s

NEOPARADIGM said:

My guy, it's not just offering the shit they have to offer, it's being all condescending with it.

Rinse and repeat with subtle variances. Basically going beyond the asking part and into the realm of asking why not. Fuck off with that shit.
gotta be blunt with them

and to be fair it's their job, im sure 99% of them feel like assholes having to ask those questions knowing damn well neither of you want that conversation lol

could be because my local isnt ran by assholes, could be because i also have many friends that work there i just have never had a problem with them

FatalT

Banned
styl3s said:

Gamestop employee spotted!

demolitio

I'm happy I went the midnight release at Best Buy even if I can't play the DLC yet...I hope the PSN store comes back soon. It got me and one of the workers talking about the poor people that bought Mortal Kombat but can't redeem their online pass right now unless there's some other way around it...

Best Buy won me over with the free drink and gift cards of course. GameStop only had some sample bottles of Axe one time out of the 20 midnight launches I've been to but I guess it all depends on which GS you go to. Normally I've been stuck paying full price at GS to get the exclusive content but the other retailers are finally starting to get more exclusive DLC while also offering the gift cards and discounts on launch day. I'm easy to please...

NEOPARADIGM said:

Rinse and repeat with subtle variances. Basically going beyond the asking part and into the realm of asking why not. Fuck off with that shit.
When a cute girl does that to me, i just smile. :)

Big Papa Husker said:
They just asked how many people were getting each version because they have 16 cards of each. Sucks yours didn't have them.
Im just confused why they didn't have them?

rdrr gnr

This thread has taken a turn for the better and gotten me pumped for the game tomorrow! It should be waiting for me after I get back from my first final.

I am excite.

stupei

The Lamp said:
It's always nice to find gamers in public and instantly be reminded that you might be the smartest person in the vicinity.

Kagari said:
Haha wow... what an idiot.

Actually said the words "if Nintendo isn't careful, it could be another Dreamcast" and "they stole everyone's credit cards and everything."

I was possibly already inclined to be a little judgmental because he started out the evening by asking me skeptically if I was actually picking up the game for myself to play. Because you know since I'm a girl and all, he really had to check. And then proceeded to try to info dump all his vast knowledge of games, which is the kind of behavior one sometimes encounters at Gamestop launches that kind of always leaves me wanting to just say, "I read GAF, dude," in hopes they'll back off.

Plasmid said:
GAF please save me from this gamestop launch. I just want my game :c

Basically, this.

But now my PS3 install is complete and I can play. Yay!

Edit: Okay the flashing Playstation Store thing at the bottom of the screen is just mean. Damn.

Big-ass Ramp

NEOPARADIGM said:

Rinse and repeat with subtle variances - basically going beyond the asking part and into the realm of asking why not. Every time I went in there. Fuck off with that shit.

THIS. If it were just offering it would be a lot better, but they've gotta be assholes about it. At least the ones I have encountered.

The Lamp

NEOPARADIGM said:

Absolutely. I had the same problem.

They would start asking me what systems I had and why I wouldn't be excited enough for ____ game to pre-order it. Like......what? Leave me alone. Lol.

stupei said:
Actually said the words "if Nintendo isn't careful, it could be another Dreamcast" and "they stole everyone's credit cards and everything."

I was possibly already inclined to be a little judgmental because he started out the evening by asking me skeptically if I was actually picking up the game for myself to play. Because you know since I'm a girl and all, he really had to check. And then proceeded to try to info dump all his vast knowledge of games, which is the kind of behavior one sometimes encounters at Gamestop launches that kind of always leaves me wanting to just say, "I read GAF, dude," in hopes they'll back off.

Basically, this.

But now my PS3 install is complete and I can play. Yay!

I went to the Uncharted 2/Brutal Legend launch and people in line were actually teasing me for buying U2 instead of the 360 version of Brutal Legend.

After that, I decided to never go to another GameStop midnight launch, but alas, I went to a God of War 3 one, and that was a nightmare (because I was in there for half-an-hour and I didn't get my pre-order bonus).

Never. Again.

Top Bottom