• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Evlar

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
How fast do you guys think this will get a price drop?
Wario will have a BOMBA thread up within two weeks. Aside from special deals, though... Well, I've been waiting for Mass Effect 2 PS3 to come down for 4 months now.

Fong Ghoul said:
Hi. This is your 12-year-old self. I was just playing Deja Vu on NES. It's really cool - you feel like you have all this freedom to go from place to place while solving this crazy mystery. You don't know who you are, there's a murder, etc. Awesome story. I got stuck in a few places, but eventually made it through.

So what are you playing? L.A. Noire, huh? How is that?

Oh, the bump mapping on your 360 version sucks? That's a bummer. The framerate drops to 30 in a few places? GEEZ! Bummer man. So you're torn on which version you should buy, and comparing screenshots to....

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ARGUING ABOUT THIS SHIT?!?! You have an amazing game that was just released, and you're arguing about fucking bump mapping and fucking native resolutions? Who the fuck cares? Play the fucking game. Enjoy it, or don't. But arguing over this shit is completely insane.

I feel like putting this in the OP :p

RPGCrazied

Evlar said:
Wario will have a BOMBA thread up within two weeks. Aside from special deals, though... Well, I've been waiting for Mass Effect 2 PS3 to come down for 4 months now.

I want it, but I'd rather pay $40 for it. Was just curious.

Don't want to shit up the thread, but, aside from the 3 discs, the only major difference is frame drops and minor pop in the 360 version right? I'm going to pick up the PS3 version, but I just want to make sure because I usually go with 360 for multi-plats. Obviously PS3 was the lead platform on this, but I remember for RDR there was a noticeable, albeit kind of minor, difference in environmental detail.

edit: I see this post was bad timing.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
No_Style said:
R2 to shoot? What's R1 used for in this game?

Not again, *sigh*, why do some devs do this on Playstation titles, they must know that a large portion of PS users prefer 'R1' to shoot surely?

Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena was a pita to play on Playstation becuase of this.

SamuraiX-

Fong Ghoul said:
Hi. This is your 12-year-old self. I was just playing Deja Vu on NES. It's really cool - you feel like you have all this freedom to go from place to place while solving this crazy mystery. You don't know who you are, there's a murder, etc. Awesome story. I got stuck in a few places, but eventually made it through.

Oh, the bump mapping on your 360 version sucks? That's a bummer. The framerate drops to 30 in a few places? GEEZ! Bummer man. So you're torn on which version you should buy, and comparing screenshots to....

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ARGUING ABOUT THIS SHIT?!?! You have an amazing game that was just released, and you're arguing about fucking bump mapping and fucking native resolutions? Who the fuck cares? Play the fucking game. Enjoy it, or don't. But arguing over this shit is completely insane.

Best junior post I've ever read on this forum.

*brofist*

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Fong Ghoul said:
Headed to my first midnight launch tonight. Super-pumped for this game. "Meh" gameplay mechanics aside, I'm excited about the story, acting, and what looks to be an actual "mature" game that pushes a few envelopes.

Gameplay > story & acting

Since it looks they're tacking on the same flawed R* control system, I'll pass.

LProtag

I'm not that upset over the whole BOMBA thing about this game, I got it for 45 dollars because for me 15 dollars to Amazon is basically putting 15 dollars in my pocket.

LProtag

richiek said:
Gameplay > story & acting

Since it looks they're tacking on the same flawed R* control system, I'll pass.

Some people like story and acting in games. As someone who studies narrative as an aspiring academic, video games are an interesting way of telling a narrative. If it's a great narrative, then I'm really into it.

Heavy Rain was interesting from a narrative standpoint as well, kind of crafting a new medium within games to tell stories with (even if it wasn't that great).

Grisby

Gary Whitta said:
Putting LA CONFIDENTIAL in the Blu-ray player tonight to psych myself up for this tomorrow!

Watching Mad Men, seeing the main LA Noire guy fight for promotion in an ad agency is funny.

whitehawk

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
Some people like story and acting in games. As someone who studies narrative as an aspiring academic, video games are an interesting way of telling a narrative. If it's a great narrative, then I'm really into it.

Heavy Rain was interesting from a narrative standpoint as well, kind of crafting a new medium within games to tell stories with (even if it wasn't that great).
Yup. I just finished bulletstorm. I loved the gameplay, but I also loved watching the cinematics. This game will just focus on story and characters more than gameplay, and I'm fine with that. Not all games can/should be gameplaygameplaygameplay.

So excited, heading out in 10mins to get it :)

SamuraiX- said:

*brofist*
Right back at you baby. I get GAF. I know everyone wants to smell and eat and lick every morsel of game that comes our way. But when a big game is released and people want to argue system superiority based on totally nitpicky bullshit I get really heated. The game might be great. It might suck. But in 2011 it's not going to be great on one system and terrible on the other. Not that hard to pick one based on preference, then talk about the game and not the SKU.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fong Ghoul said:

Huh? We're not playing L.A. Noire. The game is not out yet.

Fong Ghoul said:
Right back at you baby. I get GAF. I know everyone wants to smell and eat and lick every morsel of game that comes our way. But when a big game is released and people want to argue system superiority based on totally nitpicky bullshit I get really heated. The game might be great. It might suck. But in 2011 it's not going to be great on one system and terrible on the other. Not that hard to pick one based on preference, then talk about the game and not the SKU.

Some people own both systems and are trying to figure out on which system to get the game. It's not a big deal.

Kintaco said:
Anyone lined up at one of the Best Buy midnight launches? What does the crowd look like. I'm thinking of heading out about 10pm, I can't imagine a large crowd.

I am...and it's supposed to start raining tonight too!
Im about to head out right now. I don't think there will be a large crowd for this game. Not worried about being the first 16.

InsertNameHere said:

Here, here my good man. Thankfully, L.A. Noire looks like it will have actual good acting, though. Heavy Rain, while I enjoyed it, had hit or miss acting ranging from excellent to Resident Evil-master-of-unlocking atrocious. It didn't help that HR's main character fell into the latter, along with his creepy French kids.

my local Gamestop is not doing a midnight release.. I am very tempted to head to walmart and pick it up, then pick up my GS copy and return it to wally.

is that return fraud? oh well maybe I should just get a good night sleep and just pick it up at 10am.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Contemplating if I should head out and pick it up or go to sleep...

RedStep

JetBlackPanda said:
my local Gamestop is not doing a midnight release.. I am very tempted to head to walmart and pick it up, then pick up my GS copy and return it to wally.

is that return fraud? oh well maybe I should just get a good night sleep and just pick it up at 10am.

Regardless of ethical implications, there's a 99.9% chance that each version has a separate SKU to account for the codes packaged inside. Generally each of these is distributed individually.

The Lamp

SamuraiX- said:

*brofist*

I mean, if common sense and a repeat of what at least one person on every page in this thread in the past day has been saying is the best junior post you've ever read, whoop for you I guess.

Not to belittle your parable of truth, Fong Ghoul :)

I hope the game is delivered by the time I get back home from summer classes tomorrow.

RedStep said:
Regardless of ethical implications, there's a 99.9% chance that each version has a separate SKU to account for the codes packaged inside. Generally each of these is distributed individually.

Yah I know.. my hype is so strong I'm starting to talk crazy.. I will just wait until tomorrow

Dr Eggman said:
Contemplating if I should head out and pick it up or go to sleep...

Same I gotta get up at 5 AM for work but im usually up untill midnight everynight so im gonna head out at grab it so its ready for me when I arrive home from work tomorrow. My problem is me going to sleep without giving it a test drive.

stupei

At the gamestop near the Manhattan mall and the guy ahead of me in line literally just said, "I don't know how much longer the console wars can last with Sony and Nintendo both being so stupid."

No matter how bad this thread gets, it's nice to be reminded it could always be worse.

stupei said:
At the gamestop near the Manhattan mall and the guy ahead of me in line literally just said, "I don't know how much longer the console wars can last with Sony and Nintendo both being so stupid."

No matter how bad this thread gets, it's nice to be reminded it could always be worse.

I'm a vetran of the console wars.. I fought in the battle of blast processing.

The Lamp

stupei said:

It's always nice to find gamers in public and instantly be reminded that you might be the smartest person in the vicinity.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
stupei said:

Haha wow... what an idiot.

Fjordson

My buddy was somehow able to stop playing because he has work early, so I get his copy for tonight. Woo! I guess this is enough to tide me over until my Amazon copy arrives tomorrow =D

Tom Penny

Dr Eggman said:
I don't get it, what do people expect from this game?

I was hoping for a game in which what your doing matters. You can purposely ask the the worse questions and still get through the game. A game like this should branch out based on your decisions. Instead every investigation is somehow correct? No consequences? It's basically a linear choose your own adventure were you are never wrong in the end.

DrBo42

Tom Penny said:
How does a developer design a game with run and shoot as the same button?
When's the last time you saw a person actually aim and fire a gun while sprinting? You have to hold L2 to fire with R2. R2 is run while not aiming. How is this an issue?

Tom Penny said:
I was hoping for a game in which what your doing matters. You can purposely ask the the worse questions and still get through the game. A game like this should branch out based on your decisions. Instead every investigation is somehow correct? No consequences? It's basically a linear choose your own adventure were you are never wrong in the end.

I'll agree with this. I can't know for sure since I haven't played it, but these are my fears. Can you actually imprison the wrong man? Does that have no real consequence?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DrBo42 said:
When's the last time you saw a person actually aim and fire a gun while sprinting? You have to hold L2 to fire with R2. R2 is run while not aiming. How is this an issue?

Wait, is R2 run in LA Noire, or is that about something else? If it is for this game, it's pretty dumb to double up on a button when you have another that is apparently mapped to nothing(R1).

The Lamp

Why do we need a button to run anyway? Why can't we just use the sensitivity of the analog-stick to walk and run?

Such a stupid game design convention, and so many games force you to use a trigger or button to run.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Tom Penny said:
I'm pretty sure there are consequences. Imagine choosing a wrong answer and not being able to complete the mission. That'll lead to frustration not immersion.

Top Bottom