• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

CatPee

The Lamp said:
Absolutely. I had the same problem.

They would start asking me what systems I had and why I wouldn't be excited enough for ____ game to pre-order it. Like......what? Leave me alone. Lol.

The good ol' "I preorder stuff from Amazon and get release-day delivery AND get bonus gaming credit. Can you beat that?" always works for me. ;)

The Lamp said:
Why do we need a button to run anyway? Why can't we just use the sensitivity of the analog-stick to walk and run?

Such a stupid game design convention, and so many games force you to use a trigger or button to run.

This is one of the worst things about GTA4 and RDR... it literally makes no sense and I hate it (along with R2 as shoot, but I made my peace with that).

But a run button? Fuck that. If Max Payne 3 has a run button, I will punch the Houser brothers in the face.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
CatPee said:
The good ol' "I preorder stuff from Amazon and get release-day delivery AND get bonus gaming credit. Can you beat that?" always works for me. ;)

Ah, see, I don't want to be a jerk, even though they are being pushy. The whole interaction is just awkward and uncomfortable.

tc farks

I hate working 1st shift. I go to a midnight launch thinking ill play for an hour but then I just end up too damn tired and pass out watching Simpsons.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
This is one of the worst things about GTA4 and RDR... it literally makes no sense and I hate it (along with R2 as shoot, but I made my peace with that).

But a run button? Fuck that. If Max Payne 3 has a run button, I will punch the Houser brothers in the face.

They're especially bad with GTA and RDR because you need to mash the button to actually sprint.

JAVK said:
Why I don't shop at EB Games in AUS. Their price for LA Noire AU$108, everyone else AU$79. Remember the Aussie dollar is worth more than the US atm.

Just got back from EB.

They already have the games so when I made the switch from 360 to PS3 I lost the pre-order bonus, but on the plus side I can now price match from JB for $78!

I actually think it’s worth not having the pre-order bonus. It’ll be available soon and you save a lot of money by price match. $78 >>> $108...hurry up Thursday!

styl3s said:
gotta be blunt with them

and to be fair it's their job, im sure 99% of them feel like assholes having to ask those questions knowing damn well neither of you want that conversation lol

could be because my local isnt ran by assholes, could be because i also have many friends that work there i just have never had a problem with them
This right here is the truth. No one likes selling preorders and promotions at GS. At least I didn't.

Fjordson

Ah, ran into my first glitch. Took a turn a bit too wide and a pedestrian dove towards my car. His head was stuck in my car or something so he was shooting straight out of the hood for like 15 seconds lmao

Seriously loving driving around the city, though. Everything is so damn detailed.

Ohwiseone

Just got back, a total of 6 people... with Seven employees all staying back and two managers.

They never did advertise the midnight launch so that is a big reason why, But I did get a free magazine, coke, 10$ gift card, and both the pre-order and the arsen case for going tonight.

All in all, it was worth the short drive..now onto playing

Why is there negatives of film in my copy? Ha love this little extra stuff. Theres 7 strips of negatives with 3 pics each. Im guessing its the locations of the badge pursuit challenge.

Plasmid

Alright GAF, lemme tell you how my night went.

I got into my gamestop about 15 minutes early, i see tape marked down in a body outline, with a handwritten sign saying "Can you solve the crime?" First thing i hear is that "yeah well the Playstation live network was taken down by cyber-terrorists." I am immediately detoured, i get my receipt and proceed to wait the 15 minutes, about 10 minutes in, a girl walks in, not too bad looking, but every guy stops talking, and it's dead silent, what the shit.

Either way, i got my game, and i'm downloading the naked vice case, i like the game case, pretty nice, the badge pursuit challenge insert confused me :lol.

So ready to start this game.

e:

I also got the pre-order begging.

"man we got the new cod reserve ready, 5 bucks it's worth it, how about gears 3, kinect games?" "I'm going to order my games in my college town i'm home for the summer" "yeah man but you could put it down and just transfer it" Which i know they don't do.

Jesus.

Ohwiseone said:
Just got back, a total of 6 people... with Seven employees all staying back and two managers.

They never did advertise the midnight launch so that is a big reason why, But I did get a free magazine, coke, 10$ gift card, and both the pre-order and the arsen case for going tonight.

All in all, it was worth the short drive..now onto playing
They didn't give us Cokes or a magazine... they had no idea about the Coke even though people told them it was on their Midnight Launch page. Oh well, I got my code.

Plasmid said:
Alright GAF, lemme tell you how my night went.

I got into my gamestop about 15 minutes early, i see tape marked down in a body outline, with a handwritten sign saying "Can you solve the crime?" First thing i hear is that "yeah well the Playstation live network was taken down by cyber-terrorists." I am immediately detoured, i get my receipt and proceed to wait the 15 minutes, about 10 minutes in, a girl walks in, not too bad looking, but every guy stops talking, and it's dead silent, what the shit.

Either way, i got my game, and i'm downloading the naked vice case, i like the game case, pretty nice, the badge pursuit challenge insert confused me :lol.

So ready to start this game.
Hell one of the guys in my line said his buddy who works for MS had seen and played the new XBOX.... LOL!

whitehawk

Banned
Does anyone remember the days when multiple discs were a good thing? I remember when I got Resident Evil 4, I was so stoked that there were 2 discs. Was so exciting to put the second disc in.

Colocho

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:

Who the fuck pushes the analog stick just a little to walk when the option is given? If there wasn't a run button, how awkward would it look when you're searching around a crime scene running around like a mad man? In this type of game it fits (just as in RDR and GTAIV), I highly doubt Max Payne 3 being an action shooter is going to use a run button, in that case it would be moronic.

whitehawk said:
Does anyone remember the days when multiple discs were a good thing? I remember when I got Resident Evil 4, I was so stoked that there were 2 discs. Was so exciting to put the second disc in.
It was great in the PS1 days. Hell, the reason I got the PS3 version over 360 was because of loading times, not as much pop in and smooth framerates.

Kintaco

Colocho said:
Who the fuck pushes the analog stick just a little to walk when the option is given? If there wasn't a run button, how awkward would it look when you're searching around a crime scene running around like a mad man? In this type of game it fits (just as in RDR and GTAIV), I highly doubt Max Payne 3 being an action shooter is going to use a run button, in that case it would be moronic.
To be fair the button mashing run sucks ass, nothing wrong with holding a run button though.

Ohwiseone

The two guys, I was with outside who waited the 15 minutes like me, ended up talking about Mortal Kombat. Guess I lucked out on the crazy people. (the rest showed up at midnight, and one of the people who bought it was actually an Employee of the store).

Chiggs said:
There is no good answer.

I think I know someone who buys two copies of games, and won't accept games unless they are shrink wrapped. I think they buy two copies so that they can keep one of the copies they have 'Mint' in the packaging so they've always got a perfect copy.

That sort of thing is so majorly OCD, it's like buying an expensive new couch and leaving the plastic on or making people sit on the floor and never enjoying it.

Or re-carpeting your floor and making everyone walk around the edges as to not wear it out....

Unfortunately... I've experienced each of these things.

Kolgar

Back from Best Buy. Was first to the store (got there way too early, lol) and I bet there were only about a dozen of us total. But my side of town doesn't usually get midnight launches, so I was happy to go.

Game, DLC arson case, magazine, $15 gift card (in the mail), and $10 Reward Zone points made this a good night.

Edit: Guys I was in line with were cool. Talked mostly about Black Ops and zombie games, with a little Dead Space and movies like Pandorum, Event Horizon, and In The Mouth Of Madness for good measure.

Oh, and my girlfriend went, too. Good sport of her, she kept me company in the car.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Colocho said:
I'll agree with this, but I still think it'd be a nice option to have.

Fjordson

Soundtrack is up on iTunes and Amazon MP3. Everything I've heard in the game has been great so I had to grab it.

Definitely go with Amazon, by the way. $7.99 there as opposed to $9.99 on iTunes.

Plasmid

Big Papa Husker said:
Hell one of the guys in my line said his buddy who works for MS had seen and played the new XBOX.... LOL!

I heard so many people say they knew this game would be great because "i have friends who work in the game industry, testers, developers, producers."

wat.

Colocho said:

How did it fit in RDR and GTA4? I hated having to mash the sprint button to get to cover when I was getting shot at.

I'd rather they just have context-sensitive movements. Don't bother with a run button at all, but when you're getting shot at, moving the stick lets you sprint instead of walk/jog. Then when it's peaceful or whatever, you can meander or in LA Noire's case, investigate, but if you're in a chase or getting shot at, you can sprint using the stick.

Holy cow they loaded us up with bonus stuff at Best Buy.

Free pop (fanta), Bestbuy midnight launch dlc "Nicholson Electroplating", and the two Bestbuy preorder dlcs.

So glad I drove right past the Gamestop.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Just got back from EB.

They already have the games so when I made the switch from 360 to PS3 I lost the pre-order bonus, but on the plus side I can now price match from JB for $78!

I actually think it’s worth not having the pre-order bonus. It’ll be available soon and you save a lot of money by price match. $78 >>> $108...hurry up Thursday!

They wouldn't let you keep the pre-order bonus while price matching?

Terrible Terrible EB.... I wish they weren't so bad.

I'll save myself $31 thank you, screw the extra case.

I'll call them and find out what they're going to do, because $31 is just too much difference not to have the price change, if they don't price match me I'll take my money to JB.

It shits me that they do that, yet they have "SEEN A CHEAPER PRICE, WE'LL MATCH IT" jargon everywhere GRRR

ColonialRaptor said:

I'll call them and find out what they're going to do, because $31 is just too much difference not to have the price change, if they don't price match me I'll take my money to JB.

It shits me that they do that, yet they have "SEEN A CHEAPER PRICE, WE'LL MATCH IT" jargon everywhere GRRR

Pre order bonus is inside the game case

Kintaco

Big Papa Husker said:
They didn't give us Cokes or a magazine... they had no idea about the Coke even though people told them it was on their Midnight Launch page. Oh well, I got my code.
It looks like different store have different "giveaways", my store has no mention of free Cokes or $10 GCs either.

demolitio

Kolgar said:
Back from Best Buy. Was first to the store (got there way too early, lol) and I bet there were only about a dozen of us total. But my side of town doesn't usually get midnight launches, so I was happy to go.

Game, DLC arson case, magazine, $15 gift card (in the mail), and $10 Reward Zone points made this a good night.
They almost made the mistake of giving me the $10 gift card tonight after I got the $15 gift card coming in the mail. The guy asked his coworker if he should ring up the gift card and they both looked puzzled and were about to but my morals kicked in and I said I already have one in the mail. It probably wouldn't have worked anyway, but it's funny how some of the works have no clue how to deal with instore pickup orders...

Teknoman

Big Ass Ramp said:
THIS. If it were just offering it would be a lot better, but they've gotta be assholes about it. At least the ones I have encountered.

They've been encouraging people to be more aggressive.

whitehawk

Banned
Oh god why am I doing this. I just bought the 360 version for the controller, and part of me still feels unsure if I should be getting the PS3 version or not. (game is un-opened, im about to go to bed). I know I shouldn't care, but the OCD side of me has been awakened.

Cant believe no one is commenting on how awesome the little evidence bag that came in the gamestop preorder copys with film negatives.

whitehawk said:
Oh god why am I doing this. I just bought the 360 version for the controller, and part of me still feels unsure if I should be getting the PS3 version or not. (game is un-opened, im about to go to bed). I know I shouldn't care, but the OCD side of me has been awakened.

I was in the same boat, then I decided to check the achievement list and decided to keep my copy. I know ill try to 1000/1000 this game so thats enough incentive for me to keep my copy

Ohwiseone

If best buy keeps giving out this much free stuff, I think I might start going to all midnight opening there from now on. It was quick, painless, and didn't have pre-orders shoved down my throat.

Plasmid said:
I heard so many people say they knew this game would be great because "i have friends who work in the game industry, testers, developers, producers."

wat.
He said that his buddy told him its name was Project Viper! Lol... sounds like he wanted to think up a cooler name than Cafe. :p

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Any first impressions from anyone before I go to bed?
EDIT: Not that I haven't read all the reviews, seen all gameplay vids or anything. Still want a confirmation how well it looks/plays.

Mr.Fresh

In envy of those that are playin the game now but amazon shipped mine earlier! I can't wait till after school tomorrow so I can dive in this game..

ColonialRaptor said:

They will not price match if you get the pre-order bonus. It’s the same policy with all games from them with an 'exclusive' bonus. It’s ridiculous!

I’m glad now that I’m getting it without the bonus. $30 for it? LOL......piss off EB! Just get it without the bonus and they'll price match JB for you.

Outtrigger888 said:
Cant believe no one is commenting on how awesome the little evidence bag that came in the gamestop preorder copys with film negatives.

I was in the same boat, then I decided to check the achievement list and decided to keep my copy. I know ill try to 1000/1000 this game so thats enough incentive for me to keep my copy
Can you take a picture of it? I haven't seen it.

Dead

well not really...yet
The photo negatives that came in the game case are a pretty nice touch

Shocked that there is no map included though

JAVK said:
Why don't you pre-order from JB? Aren't they also giving out a pre-order bonus.

Yes, they are, but the JB website no longer has the pre-order bonus advertised, so I'm assuming it's too late?

Another reason is that an EB is 3 minutes away from me, and a JB is 20 minutes away from me. I'm lazy! : p

Big Papa Husker said:
Can you take a picture of it? I haven't seen it.

S5001054.jpg

Plasmid

Outtrigger888 said:

I did! but it was more of an envelope.

stupid_dad

Neo Member
Just rung my Eb,manager said i will still get all the per-order stuff and they will price match jb and he told me to look in my game informer for a la noire flyer to get free shirt and poster...guess its just down to the staff that you get

Top Bottom