• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Outtrigger888 said:
Pre order bonus is inside the game case

Called them... so - they won't offer the pre-order bonus for the matches price, which means I will miss the DLC case if I get them to match JB's price.

SO. If I want to keep my Pre-Order with EB games that I will lose out on my DLC.

The other option I have is to completely cancel my Pre-Order with EB now, Pre-order with JB at $78 and get JB's Pre-Order Bonus which they may or may not have enough stock left of.

OR, pay the $30 extra (which I've already paid) and get the full package at EB.

Most likely, I'm going to get the game from EB without any DLC which kinda pisses me off. I hope that in the future all of this DLC is available through some sort of 'total' DLC package or something, I mean, it's just one case but it shits me that in order to have it I've got to pay $30. That's is a hell of a lot of money considering I was upset about missing getting Hot Pursuit on the Steam sale for $10 less...

GRRRR!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
L00P said:
Holy cow the face capture is stunning! Every game should have this!

x34NQ.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I find the Gamestop complainers to be weirder and more annoying than Gamestop employees.

I don't shop there often, but when I do I just say "no" if they ask me if I want to preorder anything. If they ask a follow-up question, like if I'm going to buy any more games that year, I just say "no thanks, I don't want to preorder anything today" and that's it - problem solved.

It's like you guys don't get asked questions at retail anywhere else, either.Pretty much every store asks if you want to open a rewards card, when you check out. Stop acting like it's some crazy affront to your sensibilities when you have to speak to the person ringing you up for 10 seconds.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Colocho said:
Who the fuck pushes the analog stick just a little to walk when the option is given? If there wasn't a run button, how awkward would it look when you're searching around a crime scene running around like a mad man?
Run button sucks. The problem you describe can be handled intelligently, like it is in Uncharted games. At times when you're supposed/expected to move slowly, like investigating something, your moving speed is automatically slowed, then when things get back to normal, you walk/run faster, and when the action kicks in, you run faster still. The transition between these is handled transparently, and it works amazingly well, all without requiring an extra run button. Approach like that however requires a lot more thought and work dedicated to controls than most devs want to put in seemingly.

JaseC

I see they've dropped the price to $78 as they've (apparently) ran out of DLC codes.

That's rather nice. EB would've added $10.

JaseC said:
I see they've dropped the price to $78 as they've (apparently) ran out of DLC codes.

That's rather nice. EB would've added $10.

Yeah.......my page doesn't have the bonus case advertised, so I'd say that's why its $78.

Adam J.

I put in about 40 minutes on the 360 version.

The game looks incredible (big surprise)--this facial capture stuff is a game-changer, and I honestly didn't think we see this amount of detail/expression this gen.

I kind of hate the controls/mechanics. Cole feels really slow and clunky, and the button mapping feels really awkward at first. Kinda wish it controlled more like RDR, but this is Bondi's game...

The game hasn't made the best impression on me so far, but again, i'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface. I can tell it's going to get really interesting once I become a proper detective.

L00P said:
Holy cow the face capture is stunning! Every game should have this!

Just watched the Gametrailers review, it was tripping me the fuck out how crazy the faces look. Can't wait to play this in in the dark, in B&W, with a good weed buzz on.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Just watched the Gametrailers review, it was tripping me the fuck out how crazy the faces look. Can't wait to play this in in the dark, in B&W, with a good weed buzz on.

I watched this too... it's amazing hey, the lips even look soft huh!!

I'll be switching on and off with this and Witcher 2 over the next week. Hopefully, my copy for LA Noire from Gamefly arrives tomorrow (if not, no big deal, I have the Witcher 2 to satisfy my thirst! Yay!).

JaseC

Tricky I Shadow said:
Yeah.......my page doesn't have the bonus case advertised, so I'd say that's why its $78.

I was set to rush out and snap the game up, but then I read "May 19th". :(

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’m happy with paying $78 and getting all the DLC later. I refuse to pay $108 when I can get it for $78.

I'm going to go in store and take my pre-order receipt to the counter and let them prepare everything and get ready to pay and everything (have pre order and DLC in hand and all) and when nearly everything is ready I'm going to say "and Oh, by the way - I wanna price match JB" so if they say I can't have the DLC I'll at least make it a pain in the arse for them, if they say I can't have it I'll ask to speak to the manager.

I'll offer to pay $89 to have the DLC.

Edit - and after all that crap it turns out the PS3 version is the best? Gotta laugh.

Mr_Brit

Banned
JVIDICAN said:
Lens of truth has there screenshot comparison up for anyone that cares. I Don't think its been posted yet. Difference is pretty minor aside from SSAO.
Definitely no digital foundry, but probably one of the better screen comparisons out there at the moment.
http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-l-a-noire-screenshot-comparison/
Lack of SSAO on 360 was the only difference I could see, textures, lighting etc looked identical. We also know that they both run at 720p/2xMSAA.

JVIDICAN said:
Lens of truth has there screenshot comparison up for anyone that cares. I Don't think its been posted yet. Difference is pretty minor aside from SSAO.
Definitely no digital foundry, but probably one of the better screen comparisons out there at the moment.

Hmm...the PS3 version is the clear winner here in these comparisons. The PS3 version overall has more detail.

The second pic is the easiest to spot the differences. The 360 version has quite a bit missing in the background.

cgcg

JVIDICAN said:

A lot of missing shadows. Some of the 360 screens looked flat due to this reason. The underpass in the first screen looked completely off in lighting in the 360 version. Watch, someone will claim he likes the higher *contrast* in the 360 version better.

ColonialRaptor said:
I'm going to go in store and take my pre-order receipt to the counter and let them prepare everything and get ready to pay and everything (have pre order and DLC in hand and all) and when nearly everything is ready I'm going to say "and Oh, by the way - I wanna price match JB" so if they say I can't have the DLC I'll at least make it a pain in the arse for them, if they say I can't have it I'll ask to speak to the manager.

Good luck man! Let me know the outcome!

Plasmid

Alright, first interrogation with
Gage and i'm noticing if you fail you just get sent right back in same dialogue, not a killer of entertainment, but kinda bothersome.

cgcg said:
A lot of missing shadows. Some of the 360 screens looked flat due to this reason. The underpass in the first screen looked completely off in lighting in the 360 version. Watch, someone will claim he likes the higher *contrast* in the 360 version better.

Yeah unless the 360 version stutters though people with only a 360 arnt going to get ghostbusted which is nice. Cant wait for my ps3 version packing so might have it thursday or if im super lucky tomorrow.

Absinthe

Tricky I Shadow said:
Hmm...the PS3 version is the clear winner here in these comparisons. The PS3 version overall has more detail.

The second pic is the easiest to spot the differences. The 360 version has quite a bit missing in the background.

First Portal now LA Noire.

It's good to see third party dev's putting effort into the PS3 and not just as an afterthought.

Maffis

The framerate remarks are a little bit worrying to me. But if it's the same as in GTA4 and RDR, I won't mind it that much.

JaseC

akmcbroom said:
First Portal now LA Noire.

It's good to see third party dev's putting effort into the PS3 and not just as an afterthought.

In the case of both games the PS3 versions not being afterthoughts was all but assured. Valve snapped up a bunch of people from Sony's first-party stable when they began porting Source over to the PS3, and LA Noire was exclusive to said platform for some time as SCEA was on-board as publisher.

bonesmccoy said:
Yes, I bet they're devastated at how their game will sell like hotcakes on the back of the Rockstar juggernaut.

Uh...lets get some facts straight.

Team Bondi's logo is on the packaging. They are mentioned most of the time in the trailers with voice overs. Their logo is the first thing that comes up when you boot the game.

I'm actually surprised at how much Rockstar has allowed Team Bondi and Brendan McNamara be out there, which is great.

Can you tell a single persons name from Rockstar San Diego who promoted RDR? No, because as usual, Rockstar's own producers demo games to press, never the developers.

So quite a change with LA Noire.

Absinthe

JaseC said:
In the case of both games the PS3 versions not being afterthoughts was all but assured. Valve snapped up a bunch of people from Sony's first-party stable when they began porting Source over to the PS3, and LA Noire was exclusive to said platform for some time as SCEA was on-board as publisher.

Ya, that's true. Guess I hope more dev's go this route, competition between platforms is always a good thing IMO.

Vek

JAVK, since you said you bookmarked it, it's likely you have the old page cached from way back whenever. Refresh it and you should get the newer price (which seems to be lacking that soundtrack).

Aspiring

ColonialRaptor said:

Edit - and after all that crap it turns out the PS3 version is the best? Gotta laugh.

Are you serious? EB will not prie match JB and if they do you dont get the DLC? What a load of shit. Well, there goes my idea! I was going to do that but now they wont. Its bullshit.

EDIT: Just a thought. Its a pre-order bonus yes? Could you not argue that if you didnt pre-order you would not get the dlc and pay the same price? Its not a bonus if you pay for it.

tass0

Banned
Plasmid said:
Alright, first interrogation with
Gage and i'm noticing if you fail you just get sent right back in same dialogue, not a killer of entertainment, but kinda bothersome.

That's because it's a tutorial level, I think.

RiotPelaaja said:
Uh...lets get some facts straight.

Team Bondi's logo is on the packaging. They are mentioned most of the time in the trailers with voice overs. Their logo is the first thing that comes up when you boot the game.

I'm actually surprised at how much Rockstar has allowed Team Bondi and Brendan McNamara be out there, which is great.

Can you tell a single persons name from Rockstar San Diego who promoted RDR? No, because as usual, Rockstar's own producers demo games to press, never the developers.

So quite a change with LA Noire.
Right, like your average gamer is going to be crediting Team Bondi and its founder when they buy this game. This is going to be viewed as a Rockstar title, and is going to move a shit ton of units.

I'm really interested in whether or not this game runs on the GTA4/RDR engine (the current version obviously).

JaseC

Aspiring said:
Are you serious? EB will not prie match JB and if they do you dont get the DLC? What a load of shit. Well, there goes my idea! I was going to do that but now they wont. Its bullshit.

He hasn't visited EB yet.

Aspiring

JaseC said:
He hasn't visited EB yet.

ColonialRaptor said:
Called them... so - they won't offer the pre-order bonus for the matches price, which means I will miss the DLC case if I get them to match JB's price.

SO. If I want to keep my Pre-Order with EB games that I will lose out on my DLC.

call, go instore, same shit yes?

JaseC

akmcbroom said:
Ya, that's true. Guess I hope more dev's go this route, competition between platforms is always a good thing IMO.

Absolutely. Even these days, if the X360 is the superior platform, the difference is often minuscule well and truly to the point where it's not worth switching preference over.

A far cry from the early days when PS3 games ran at half the framerate of their X360 counterparts.

Aspiring said:
call, go instore, same shit yes?

Sorry, my bad, I didn't see that post.

Edit: Ah, it was before he said he was going to visit the store and try his luck. Don't forget to knock over a magazine rack on your way out, CR! :p

Aspiring

JaseC said:
Sorry, my bad, I didn't see that post.

No dramas : )

I see on the last page though someone said that there eb WILL price match with the DLC. So i guess i will just have to ask when i pick up the game. If they do sweet if not, that sucks.

Who gives a shit if people know it's a Team Bondi game or not?

Do we really have to be subjected to more of that drivel?

You really care that a corporation gets recognition?

Why? Seriously - why?

I want a written explanation.

Were they not paid for their efforts?

You don't think that they'll be well known? Really? After the self-congratulation awards at IGN, Gamespot, Metacritic, etc. not to mention those shameless panderfests known as the Spike VGA awards?

If Team Bondi works with someone else in the future you don't think the business professionals will be able to distinguish between who made the developed and who published it?

I don't give a flying fuck who makes Honey Bunches of Oats.
All I know that they taste good and I look forward to having a bowl ever morning.

FUCK.

Top Bottom