• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Hey guys, Just to be clear, when there are clues that have yet to be discovered, music plays; and when all the clues have been found, the music stops. Is that right?

Truespeed

Gary Whitta said:
DELIVERY! Now only the final decision remains!
2gsewet.png

I would go for the PS3 one.

totowhoa

Banned
Can't decide if I should go buy it today or wait for a price bomba D: Fuuuuuuck. I've got so much to do around the house for the next few weeks that I should wait... man, the reviews have been turning me on, though.

lol Why does it autolock to the center of people's back? I feel like such a horrible person because I'm trying to shoot people's leg and I'm just an assassin.

Just got my copy delivered to me! YAY. The best part is that I got it for $0.00 (That's right.) after all my Amazon credit. Now, with my new credit, I just pre-ordered Dark Souls for $5. :)

Time to forsake work for yet another day.

EDIT: Oh, crud... The first step on the codes that I want to redeem is "Launch the Playstation Store.". :( Damnit.

Tom Penny

The game has framerate issues for sure but it is a beautiful game. The tutorial / intro before getting promoted was pretty much Meh so obviously the game is going to get better. I figured that's a good time to stop for a little bit after the promotion.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
semiconscious said:
enjoyed the first 3 hrs, but am already really bored with the driving. will likely be spending as much time on foot as possible :) ...
Just hold down Triangle and let your partner drive EVERYWHERE (that is the beauty of that system for you guys who hate to drive).

xxracerxx said:
Just hold down Triangle and let your partner drive EVERYWHERE (that is the beauty of that system for you guys who hate to drive).

Just know, it looks like you may miss out on certain parts of missions if you let your partner drive. I don't want to spoil anything but after 1 mission it said that if I got to a certain place quicker something else may have happened.

xxracerxx said:

will try that - thanks. but can he be redirected to the side missions?...

Can't tell you how great it is to go into a Gamestop and hear another customer ask for "LA Norie."

Anyway, got my copy. PS3 version. Will crack it open tonight.

Teknoman

BobTheFork said:
lol Why does it autolock to the center of people's back? I feel like such a horrible person because I'm trying to shoot people's leg and I'm just an assassin.

Turn aim assist to off.

DidntKnowJack said:
Can't tell you how great it is to go into a Gamestop and hear another customer ask for "LA Norie."

Anyway, got my copy. PS3 version. Will crack it open tonight.

Heh everyone says that at my store...well almost everyone. Probably end up seeing a bunch of trade ins later, since you arent really encouraged to run amok. Then again, RDR seemed to fair pretty well.

semiconscious said:
will try that - thanks. but can he be redirected to the side missions?...

Nope, the screen fades to black and you end up at your destination. But if you're driving and you pick up a side mission you can get out of the car and make your partner drive to it.

LyleLanley said:
Nope, the screen fades to black and you end up at your destination. But if you're driving and you pick up a side mission you can get out of the car and make your partner drive to it.

sounds perfect - thanks again...

semiconscious said:
sounds perfect - thanks again...

Forgot to mention, that if your partner has something to say to you and vice versa and you decide to let him drive, it'll show the car driving until the conversation is over so you don't miss out on vital stuff that way.

Mileena

Banned
LA Noire has basically been a humorless Phoenix Wright thus far. The facial animations can really impress at times, but they didn't figure out the eye problem. I don't think we're going to find anyone working with the tech we have for the consoles figuring out the eye problem; even top-of-the-line CG studios working on blockbuster movies can't figure out the eye problem, with the exception of ILM's work on Davy Jones in the PotC sequels (yes, those eyes were CG).

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just got home from work. Time to play this little bad boy ;)

brentech

I find evidence pretty well. I shoot about 50% on the questioning it seems. Not sure if I'm missing body clues or just not thinking the evidence through.

jackdoe

The gunplay is completely atrocious just like GTA IV and RDR. Luckily, the meat of the game are the investigations and those are a blast. Hopefully, things don't get more shooty by the end of the game.

Insaniac

no southpaw makes me a sadface. I'm hoping gunplay isn't too big in this game then.

Anyways, I just started and I was wondering if you guys turned the clue chime/vibrate on or off? would it be more satisfying and fun without it?

Zertez

UPS finally dropped my copy off. Disappointed there is no giant map like past Rockstar games. I dont need it, but it is always nice to look at them.

Just finished playing for a few hours. I love the on foot chases more than anything but I hope they get more exciting, the last one had some platforming challenge to it but there pretty much the same. I definitely don't dig driving as much as in GTAIV. the cars are way too touchy and light feeling for me. I miss euphoria too, at least with that when I walked into someone blocking a hallway they would stumble out of my way instead of being a brick wall. Need to turn off aim assist too, it does all the work for you. I like the interrogation but I don't love it, it can get tedious and it frustrates me when I pick the wrong one. I wish there was a way I could restart a mission from the last checkpoint so I could redo the interrogations I messed up without having to do the entire mission again, and even then at least be able to skip the in game cutscenes I've already seen.

All those minor gripes aside, I am really digging the game. I'm still pretty early in so I'm sure it'll get more varied. Definitely hope it does.

Fjordson

Insaniac said:
no southpaw makes me a sadface. I'm hoping gunplay isn't too big in this game then.

Anyways, I just started and I was wondering if you guys turned the clue chime/vibrate on or off? would it be more satisfying and fun without it?
I turned it off after the first three cases. I think it's merely a personal preference, but I've found the investigation stuff to be infinitely more rewarding without it.

Just got into another car chase. Such a blast.

Does it bother anyone else that for almost all the homicide cases you are solving the same crime? It is the exact same formula for these unfortunately, this was made 1000x worse by the fact that on the third case I had seen the "suspect" coming and knew how it was going.

Really enjoying the game but this and the true lack of sandbox activities really hurt it from achieving true greatness.

The Lamp

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Does it bother anyone else that for almost all the homicide cases you are solving the same crime? It is the exact same formula for these unfortunately, this was made 1000x worse by the fact that on the third case I had seen the "suspect" coming and knew how it was going.

Really enjoying the game but this and the true lack of sandbox activities really hurt it from achieving true greatness.

I asked before and I don't think anyone answered, but there are no side-things to do? Like go to a jazz-club or something?

The empty, useless overworld is beginning to make me think that this game might have just been better off with actual designed levels to complement the linear, case-by-case gameplay. But then again, I don't have the game yet, so I don't know (DAMNIT UPS WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU)

The Lamp said:
I asked before and I don't think anyone answered, but there are no side-things to do? Like go to a jazz-club or something?

The empty, useless overworld is beginning to make me think that this game might have just been better off with actual designed levels to complement the linear, case-by-case gameplay. But then again, I don't have the game yet, so I don't know (DAMNIT UPS WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU)

Utter ghost town, the 40 side missions are really poorly implemented as they occur every so often and usually break the pace. I felt obligated to do them but it negatively hurt the pace 9 times out of 10. Not to mention the landmarks are just a short freeze frame on some random location only locals of LA give two shits about.

mintylurb

Tom Penny said:
The game has framerate issues for sure but it is a beautiful game. The tutorial / intro before getting promoted was pretty much Meh so obviously the game is going to get better. I figured that's a good time to stop for a little bit after the promotion.
Even the ps3 version has framerate issues?

NM.

I love the atmosphere . . . good menus, good music, good titles, etc.

I'm not blown away by the game but I'm very into playing it. I think they have somewhat achieved the goal of making an interactive film Noir piece.

The Lamp

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Utter ghost town, the 40 side missions are really poorly implemented as they occur every so often and usually break the pace. I felt obligated to do them but it negatively hurt the pace 9 times out of 10. Not to mention the landmarks are just a short freeze frame on some random location only locals of LA give two shits about.

If you can't do anything, drive carelessly, attack anyone, or go anywhere meaningful...what on earth is the point of a free-roam Los Angeles? Did they just make this game free-roam for the sake of it? I figured if they were going to do something important like create a sandbox overworld, they would use that to the game's advantage. Maybe there's a variety of locales in missions that demands a large, seamless map, but for right now the overworld sounds disappointing.

EDIT: Oh dear me, I've gone full-circle. I sound like I'm asking for meaningless map activities like dating/bowling like from GTA IV. That's NOT what I mean, though...

Top Bottom