• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Tom Penny

DrBo42 said:
Lie is only when you have evidence to directly contradict their statement.

It's still hard to get all the answers right even when you have to pick between doubt and truth. They fool me. Do you have to pick the questions in order :(

Lkr

im always wrong with lie/doubt/truth :(
the shoe store lady seemed like she wasn't telling me everything, but apparently she was, wtf!

DrBo42

Tom Penny said:
It's still hard to get all the answers right even when you have to pick between doubt and truth. They fool me. Do you have to pick the questions in order :(
I know what you mean. You just have to be damn sure of your evidence when you select lie, or they'll make you pay for it. Doubt is really just based on their body language and your gut instinct.

whitehawk

Banned
oh wow, HUGE LOST OPPURTUNITY HERE

I just did a side mission. There was
a kid about to jump from a building, and you had to get up there and stop him. Sadly there was just a cinematic when i got up there and i automatically saved him. I was expecting to have to talk to him to get him down, and if I said the wrong things, he would have jumped. Would have been a lot more intense and exciting.

Tom Penny

DrBo42 said:
I know what you mean. You just have to be damn sure of your evidence when you select lie, or they'll make you pay for it. Doubt is really just based on their body language and your gut instinct.

I know. I never pick lie unless I can back it. I guess I suck at figuring out truth and doubt which seems like it would be easy.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If I don't answer a street mission dispatch, will I be able to do it later in the game or is it gone forever?

Also, man I'm loving this game. One lady shifted her weight during her story, and I knew that was a tell sign of being nervous/shady, and I was right. Booyah. :D

whitehawk said:
oh wow, HUGE LOST OPPURTUNITY HERE

I just did a side mission. There was
a kid about to jump from a building, and you had to get up there and stop him. Sadly there was just a cinematic when i got up there and i automatically saved him. I was expecting to have to talk to him to get him down, and if I said the wrong things, he would have jumped. Would have been a lot more intense and exciting.

Yeah that mission felt weird, I expected something else to happen.

XyFpy.gif

Bah, I want this game today damn it!

BKXB

Economist
SuperSonic1305 said:
Did I miss anything in the first case?

I examined the book in the drawer at the Apartment first and the case ends. Was there any other evidence?

I thought I missed something too; you can go back and play cases from the menu.

I've had people shift eyes but still be truthful. Throws me off.

I also love when I use an Intuition point to remove an answer and it's usually the one I knew wouldn't be the answer like 8 times out of 10.

cacophony said:
Whoa, this game just turned into Uncharted

Care to explain?

I have finished 8 cases and I am currently on the "golden butterfly" the game is so awesome and I'm having a blast but it sure is a little repetitive some of the homocide cases feel exactly the same.

Tricky I Shadow said:
So is the PS3 exclusive case US only or what?

I am trying my best to try and ninja a copy from a stupid arse Kmart or Target staff member.... I've paid for my copy at EB but if I can get it today rather than tomorrow hahah... god, such a douche

Duffyside

Banned
Why is the facial animation stuff so impressive to people? A designer didn't create some new algorithm to animate something; it's a recording of an actual person's movements. It may as well just be an FMV of some guy's face, and then you decide whether the dude in the clip you just watched was telling the truth or not.

Just like every Rockstar game after GTAIII; I don't get it.

duffyside said:
Why is the facial animation stuff so impressive to people? A designer didn't create some new algorithm to animate something; it's a recording of an actual person's movements. It may as well just be an FMV of some guy's face, and then you decide whether the dude in the clip you just watched was telling the truth or not.

You were the kid on the playground who took others' suckers and candy huh?

Gary Whitta said:
And the final decision is in!

Preferred controller + inability to access bonus content on PSN = 360 FTW! Installing all three discs now. Time to get mah noire on!

It seriously took you 99 pages of the OT to decide what system to get it for. Amazing!

Preferred controller + inability to access bonus content on PSN = 360 FTW! Installing all three discs now. Time to get mah noire on!

cackhyena

So can someone tell me when side missions open up? And do you only unlock suits, or do you have to buy them as well? I'm just wrapping up the hit and run case.

rhino4evr

duffyside said:

What?

duffyside said:

Perhaps because it's the first time we've seen anything like this in a video game?

Gary Whitta said:

We're already done and moved on to Red Dead Revenge and Grand Theft Auto VII. ;)

Edit: Fuck you, Greg Grunberg.

I interrogate him rather successfully up until the "history of violence" questioning. Even though he's uncomfortable, nervous, looking at different directions... he's telling the truth? Goddamn.

Edit 2: My spoiler is wrong. I am wrong. Goddamn it! :lol

Tamanon

Banned
I'm on the first Traffic case, and man, already I absolutely love the police chief.

May the Cat eat you and the devil eat the cat.

Tawpgun

I'm in the middle of Fallen Idol and loving it so far. The cases are getting a lot more deep and complex.

But I can't help feeling a sense of lost opportunity. Maybe I haven't gotten to any yet, but I wanted things like hostage negotiations and such to really make use of the face animation.

LA is also REALLY bland so far. The previous rockstar games had very distinct locales within the map that had their own life to them. here, LA feels like a maze you have to traverse in order to get to destination to destination. I NEVER fast traveled on my first playthrough of Red Dead or GTAIV. Here, I'm having my partner drive most of the time.

It just doesn't feel alive to me. But maybe its because I'm early on in the game. Its just... the map is so big and so accurate apparently, but it seems most of it is to waste...

I think this is one of those games that will be a fantastic experience, but one in which the sequel/spiritual succesor to this game will expand upon.

Like I said, its still an amazing experience thus far, its just I feel there's a lot of missed opportunities.

Fjordson

duffyside said:
No one's forcing you to "get" anything.

Anyways, I have to say I'm sort of surprised homicide isn't the best desk. For some reason I expected it to be. The story for it is interesting enough, but I think the other ones are what really push this game into greatness territory for me.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm in the middle of Fallen Idol and loving it so far. The cases are getting a lot more deep and complex.

But I can't help feeling a sense of lost opportunity. Maybe I haven't gotten to any yet, but I wanted things like hostage negotiations and such to really make use of the face animation.

LA is also REALLY bland so far. The previous rockstar games had very distinct locales within the map that had their own life to them. here, LA feels like a maze you have to traverse in order to get to destination to destination. I NEVER fast traveled on my first playthrough of Red Dead or GTAIV. Here, I'm having my partner drive most of the time.

It just doesn't feel alive to me. But maybe its because I'm early on in the game. Its just... the map is so big and so accurate apparently, but it seems most of it is to waste...

I think this is one of those games that will be a fantastic experience, but one in which the sequel/spiritual succesor to this game will expand upon.

Like I said, its still an amazing experience thus far, its just I feel there's a lot of missed opportunities.

I rather they didn't do the open world. But i don't mind doing the fast travel. Hopefully I don't miss the side missions doing the fast travel.

Dead

well not really...yet
A27 Tawpgun said:

I have to agree about LA

Im finding it a lot more satisfying to simply fast travel to the next location. I end up missing the side missions, but the ones so far that Ive done havent exactly been very interesting

Has Rockstar ever published a game with decent controls? I mean Jesus Christ. I'm about four hours in and enjoying myself for the most part but the controls are definitely rough.

graywolf323

Lord-Audie said:
I rather they didn't do the open world. But i don't mind doing the fast travel. Hopefully I don't miss the side missions doing the fast travel.

just check your map before you fast travel, if you select one of them then the fast travel takes you there instead

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
tbh, it'd be better if you had partners stick around with you for longer. There's a lack of personal relationships to hold a certain kind of attention. I feel like I'm strolling along, never really feeling particularly driven. Hopefully things start to come together later.

Cleared my first case...so far I'm really enjoying it.

The facial animations are pretty revolutionary. It's amazing to have mouth motions actually match what's being said. Things like this make games more accesible in my opinion.

ACE 1991 said:
So what's the key to getting interrogation questions right? I'm pretty terrible at guessing correctly.

Basically, if they act like they are telling the truth, then pick that option. If they look like they're lying but you have no proof then choose "doubt" and if you do have proof choose "Lie"

Tawpgun

This was an idea a few pages back. But an X-Files halloween desk would blow my mind. Can they surpass undead nightmare? Maybe with this.

Imagine facial animation cameos from Mulder/Scully.

I need to stop dreaming before I get crushed.

ToyMachine228 said:
Has Rockstar ever published a game with decent controls? I mean Jesus Christ. I'm about four hours in and enjoying myself for the most part but the controls are definitely rough.
Are they similar to RDR/GTA4?

Haven't played much but I think I'm going to like it. I wish I never read about X-files DLC for Halloween because I know they won't do it and I cannot not play that now. Gah!

ferr

The on-foot chases (especially the one near the end of the fallen idol) for some reason reminds me of what I was hyped up for with Shenmue.

Top Bottom