• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah maybe this would work better if you were or could be a corrupt cop. So you can gamble and go to the brothel and such:p

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The problem with the side missions is 9 times out of 10 they feel like the missions you'd get as you pass a damsel in distress in Red Dead Redemption as opposed to the full fledged side quests you would get.

The Lamp

Zerokku said:
The problem with the side missions is 9 times out of 10 they feel like the missions you'd get as you pass a damsel in distress in Red Dead Redemption as opposed to the full fledged side quests you would get.

Red Dead Redemption tackled this problem perfectly in my opinion.

I had the missions and things to do, of course, but the world felt alive because there were so many optional things to do that were embedded into the very environment itself (hunting, NPC interactions, vigilante missions, treasure hunting, etc.) that the sandbox world justified itself. It felt like it had meaning and value. Even though I didn't do or complete many of the optional features besides hunting, they were there, and it felt meaningful to me.

GTA IV's side quests and optional activities didn't feel meaningful to me and I didn't like them, though I appreciate them at least being there to TRY to make the city feel organic and lived-in. And I could at least interact with NPCs and the world around me (even if it was in a negative way, like killing people and pissing off the cops, it was some sort of stimulus and connection to the surroundings).

But apparently LA Noire's Los Angeles is just a cardboard cutout with which you act out story missions. That's kind of disappointing.

"The Fallen Idol" case really reassured me about the game being an AAA game. I started out loving it, but a few of the cases and side cases seemed to drag. The case I mentioned really is great. Uncharted-esque set pieces.

Fantastical said:
Am I stupid? What exactly does "Doubt" mean and when do I use it? How is it different from "Lie"?

With "Doubt," you feel as if the person of interest is not being completely straightforward. It's not that they're lying, but they're not telling everything. If they are lying, but you might not have the evidence to back it up, you might have to call Doubt.

I actually do have problems differentiating between the two in terms of gameplay. It would SEEM sometimes like I have something to call them out on because the shifty-eyed looks aren't different from one another, but I'll still fuck up.

dvolovets

Fantastical said:
Am I stupid? What exactly does "Doubt" mean and when do I use it? How is it different from "Lie"?
You have to present evidence to support your statement if you use "Lie" (kind of like Phoenix Wright's "Objection"). With doubt, you imply that the person is lying but don't necessarily have the evidence to back up your statement.

Did I miss anything in the first case?

I examined the book in the drawer at the Apartment first and the case ends. Was there any other evidence?

Trigunner

The Lamp said:
But apparently LA Noire's Los Angeles is just a cardboard cutout with which you act out story missions. That's kind of disappointing.

Yeah, I felt the same way in 2002 with the release of Mafia, but what can you do; just enjoy the missions and story; these aren't sandbox games even though they're set in an open world.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Did I miss anything in the first case?

I examined the book in the drawer at the Apartment first and the case ends. Was there any other evidence?

No. And oh boy, if you are worried about this stuff you will be paranoid later!

ProtoCents said:
"The Fallen Idol" case really reassured me about the game being an AAA game. I started out loving it, but a few of the cases and side cases seemed to drag. The case I mentioned really is great. Uncharted-esque set pieces.

That really was a great mission.

ProtoCents said:

This, right here, excites my balls off. BREAK STREET-DATE, YOU FUCKER!

Sallokin

polyh3dron said:
Fucking UPS.

Guess I won't be getting my game til tomorrow. FUCK.

Funny you should post this because I was just going to say the same exact thing. They scanned my package, but apparently left it in Phoenix.

Chanser

pantyhelmet said:
wrong, notice the light shining on the side of his face, now notice the clear top part on the case in his left hand.

The bigger case would be out of focus. Though that would depend how good the camera focus system is.

Anyway don't want to blag anymore about a photoshopped case.

The Lamp said:

yeah, definitely got this impression, even tho i'm very early on. not really bothered by it, but it is kinda weird how team bondi invested so much effort in this elaborate environment, only to do so little with it...

meanwhile, i'm doing my third go-round of the raymond chandler / philip marlowe books, & they're making me question the wisdom of the decision to make the main character a police detective rather than a private eye (which, as we all know, is what noire was really all about :) )...

Teknoman

Early on, but it seems better to just use a police car instead of the hidden cars, since you can only get side missions with radio.

whitehawk

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
Currently investigating the
shoestore shooting

Reaction thus far: OHMYGOD! I'MAPOLICEDETECTIVE! THISISSOCOOL!
Pretty much same here.

It's really cool playing the COP instead of the bad guy.

Stuck on one part in The Fallen Idol.

I'm at the prop house questioning Hopgood. What evidence do I use to prove he's lying on the question about his relationship with Ballard?

semiconscious said:
yeah, definitely got this impression, even tho i'm very early on. not really bothered by it, but it is kinda weird how team bondi invested so much effort in this elaborate environment, only to do so little with it...

meanwhile, i'm doing my third go-round of the raymond chandler / philip marlowe books, & they're making me question the wisdom of the decision to make the main character a police detective rather than a private eye (which, as we all know, is what noire was really all about :) )...
That's a really good point. Haven't started the game yet but the lead really should have been an ex-cop, private eye. Then you could have had him work on the very edge of the law and break some rules while also taking advantage of the environment a little more. He wouldn't be stuck following procedure.

Shit, now you've got me excited for a game that isn't coming out.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
The open world is for immersion & atmosphere. And it works wonders.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but there is indeed a day/night cycle if you freeroam long enough. It's pretty slow to change, but it sure does look pretty.

DrBo42

zoner said:
Can someone tell me the difference between doubt and lie? Because so far, they seem to run really close together.
Lie is only when you have evidence to directly contradict their statement.

saunderez

zoner said:
Can someone tell me the difference between doubt and lie? Because so far, they seem to run really close together.
Doubt is when you don't believe them but you don't have evidence to prove they are lying.

Only choose Lie when you have the evidence to back up your accusation.

Man, I'm loving this game so far. Being a cop is really cool. I do have a question though, is the Rockstar Social Club working on PS3? Wanted to grab that new outfit but I didn't attempt it when I was playing and just remembered it now.

semiconscious said:

This is very much like Mafia - and while I understand the frustration, there's no doubt that it adds a lot to the central narrative.

DrAndonuts said:

I'm at the prop house questioning Hopgood. What evidence do I use to prove he's lying on the question about his relationship with Ballard?

The following spoiler is just telling you a clue you missed.
Look at the mirror in the room next to your partner and the man who runs the prop house.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Man, I'm loving this game so far. Being a cop is really cool. I do have a question though, is the Rockstar Social Club working on PS3? Wanted to grab that new outfit but I didn't attempt it when I was playing and just remembered it now.

Yeah the Social Club works just fine. It's JUST the PSN Store that's down.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

The social club worked when I tried it but you need to avoid pressing the button for the PSN store as it will lock up your game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This game makes me feel fucking stupid. As someone who psychologically profiles just about everyone I meet in real life, this game continuously makes me feel dumb when I choose the wrong answer. Furthermore, unlike video games, you usually don't get a second chance.

And there's so much open-ended scenarios in this game. It seems like there's always a few ways to solve a case, or at least come to a conclusion. I can't stand it, in both a good and bad way.

I mean, I love the fact that there are multiple ways to complete each case, and legitimate ways to screw up that aren't based solely on gameplay, but it also irks me that I'm going to have to play through this game four or five times to get the most out of it. Even though there's so much content, it doesn't seem like a very fun game to play over and over again, as discovering the stories' twists and running through the plot at a casual pace is what's so enchanting about it.

Honestly, this game is too damn real for me. I don't like living with poor decisions, and dealing with the consequences. Fuck that.

graywolf323

DrAndonuts said:

the empty film canister, it stumped me for a while too since I wasn't sure which item they were wanting me to present to him

Tobor

I'm recognizing a lot of actors in this. Not just the Mad Men people, but a lot of "oh that guy, I've seen that guy before." type moments. It's like a real cop procedural in that regard.

And who knew Ken Cosgrove was such a bad ass? Lol.

Top Bottom