• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2: Meet Your Match Update (Competitive Mode)

fhqwhgads

Update Page
Promo Video
New Comic (Heavy vs Pyro)
Patch Notes

Day One Details:
6 v 6 ranked competitive mode with 18 ranks to earn
Also features unranked casual matchmaking with similar skilled players
3 new maps (Sunshine/Metalworks/Swiftwater)
PASS Time out of beta, now an official mode

Day Two Details:
New War Event: Heavy vs Pyro
Choose a side on start up, no need to play as Heavy/Pyro to contribute
Points you score in Competitive/Casual matchmaking will contribute to your chosen class
Winning class will receive their own update with weapons,balance changes and achievements
4 new taunts (The Carlton, Balloonibouncer, Fubar Fanfare, Disco Fever)
Keyless Class Crates. Buy one to get a random hat for that class.
Class Starter Packs. Buy one to get every unique weapon for that class.
New crate with popular demand strange weapons
New viewmodel mode that minimises the space weapons take up

Competitive Requirments:
Must join the competitive Team Fortress 2 group
Must have Steam Mobile Authenticator enabled
Must purchase a Competitive Matchmaking Pass from the Mann Co store

Holy shit, they actually put Swiftwater in the game finally.

Q: WHAT ARE COMPETITIVE MODE'S RULES AND RESTRICTIONS?
6v6
no class or weapon restrictions
no random criticals
no team changes
fixed shotgun spreads
for symmetrical Control Point maps, best-of-3 or best-of-5 (higher ranks only)
for Attack/Defense maps, stopwatch mode (fastest attacking team wins)

Well

This is pretty much a non-starter until class restrictions get put in place.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Too late now. After 3500 hours of gameplay time in TF2, I think I'm done. Had lots of fun playing competitive lobbies for years, but I feel no desire for this.

Ugh, no class or weapon restrictions.

TF2 has no future. Welcome your new Overwatch overlords.

Hats and weapons ruined TF2.

domlolz

Banned
Reeks of desperation.
It looks fine but the timing on the release is funny.

desperation? the game is nearly 10 years old and has probably made valve tons of money. what is there to be desperate about?

the timing is weird but i guess its more a 'me too' thing more than anything

With no weapon restrictions, there's going to probably be A LOT of big changes shown tomorrow

Very happy with Swiftwater. I remember playing that map years ago

Oh and Scout's doing the Carlton Dance

fhqwhgads

If the mode had restrictions then no one but the professional players would want to play it. Not everyone wants to play Double Scout/Double Solider/Demoman/Medic with almost all stock weapons except Escape Plan/Crossbow/Ubersaw on 5cp maps every game.

Also the team has been aggressively balancing weapons for the past few updates now. Class wise the only character who could stand for some change is Heavy getting buffed.

tf2 has lasted this long how many multiplayer shooters can say that? of course this isnt going to change that tf2s playerbase is going to shrink even more but its been around for ages.

It's very important that we all realize that their can only be one good game in each genre at at time.:)

Well, you gotta consider that TF2 hasn't been a good game for YEARS now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9RjDRLBWio

Overwatch is the first ray of light in at least half a decade.

fhqwhgads

6 v 6 seems low. I always thought 9 v 9 was better but maybe these are smaller maps
I can imagine 9 v 9 will be added next after a month or so to let the mode get settled. Highlander mode is the next best way for competitive TF2 plus it's the most accessible too.

day 2 image

fv7C7do.png

KarmaCow

The part about TF2 I always liked is that it wasn't so demanding in terms of team coordination. With 12-16 people per team, the diffusion of responsibility was at the right level where it wasn't isolated aimless people but not strict enough where you could be playing "wrong". MvM is about as far as I want to go in terms of a smaller, actually team focused mode for TF2.

6 v 6 seems low. I always thought 9 v 9 was better but maybe these are smaller maps

TF2 is/was played competitively with two player sizes, 6s (6v6) and Highlander (9v9). Valve went with 6s because it's easier to match/organize. HIghlander is the superior mode, though.

Maps in the MM beta were pretty much all CP maps, if I remember correctly, other than koth on Viaduct.
Just take five scouts and a quick fix and out-cap the other team.

day 2 image

that's not going to be one-sided whatsoever

wipeout364

6v6 has always been how competitive tf2 was played, back when competitive tf2 was a thing.
Never played competitively just going off years of playing the game. Always thought competitive would have one representative of each class. But in my mind I still think of tf2 as 2fort and the well: I guess I'm getting old.

The part about TF2 I always liked is that it wasn't so demanding in terms of team coordination. With 12-16 people per team, the diffusion of responsibility was at the right level where it wasn't isolated aimless people but not strict enough where you could be playing "wrong". MvM is about as far as I want to go in terms of a smaller, actually team focused mode for TF2.

6s has a pretty defined meta, which is why it can get rather boring after a while. Two scouts, two soldiers, a demo, and a medic, with class changes to situational classes when needed. I understand the reasons behind it, but not seeing most of the cast get played is why I honestly prefer HL.

MM will be filled with a bunch of gimmick teams in addition to the standard 6s team, so that's something, at least.

Never played competitively just going off years of playing the game. Always thought competitive would have one representative of each class. But in my mind I still think of tf2 as 2fort and the well: I guess I'm getting old.

Highlander is what you want, then.

Also, back in the good (read: bad) old days, competitive TF2 was actually played on 2Fort, Well, and Hydro. Then people learned to play on good maps.

Reeks of desperation.
It looks fine but the timing on the release is funny.

This has been in the works since before Overwatch was even announced...

Your timeline is off. Overwatch was announced November 2014; strings pointing towards a competitive mode for TF2 reared their head in August.

Even before that, the TF2 team was asking for some help brainstorming from the comp community. This has been many years in the making.

tf2 has lasted this long how many multiplayer shooters can say that? of course this isnt going to change that tf2s playerbase is going to shrink even more but its been around for ages.

Shrink even more? TF2's base has been roughly the same size for years now.

Honestly, I think TF2 is in pretty much a good place as far as pub balance goes.
Other than the Demoknight shields, but those should just be removed.
Trying to balance everything for 6s would be such a monumental task that I can't really expect them to try. I would imagine we'll see sweeping balance changes later rather than sooner.

Saying that, they'll probably just kill Demo again and buff Engie.

Kade

So it took them 2 years to make a competitive matchmaking mode? Valves is redicilous.

There are like, two dudes working on Team Fortress 2. Seems like everyone else moved onto Dota, VR or their multiplatform project.

ekim

So does this balance out weapons? I would jump back in but the last time I wanted I wasn't really feeling good because I don't have the weapons others have.

My real worry is that we won't have a way to just boot the game up and search for a match on the map we want.

Playing a match from start to finish without autobalance sounds nice, but sometimes I just wanna do something like hop onto a CTF server and go around chopping off heads, or play Powerhouse over and over as people vote to extend the map. I hope there's still a way to do that.

So does this balance out weapons? I would jump back in but the last time I wanted I wasn't really feeling good because I don't have the weapons others have.

We'll know more tomorrow. I wouldn't expect gigantic sweeping changes, though.

For what it's worth, the stock weapons are, in nearly every case, better or comparable than the unlocks. They're almost all side-grades.

Top Bottom