• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2: Meet Your Match Update (Competitive Mode)

Sianos

Those are some excellent map choices as well.

Disappointed that it took nine years to get a competitive mode and to put in the effort to improve quick play from its current mediocrity, but at least its here now.

SerratedX

Beta felt a little rough around the edges in my opinion and I only moved up one rank the entire time. I'll give it another go on release, but keeping my expectations pretty low for a Valve standard.

Kade

Thank you. Everyone rides overwatch so hard it's unbelievable.

I mean, even if Valve cooked this up in a month to compete with Overwatch, it's only fair that they get to steal the one aspect that's unique to Blizzard's version of their game.

KLoWn

Thank you. Everyone rides overwatch so hard it's unbelievable.
Maybe you should take a trip to the TF2 sub-reddit. Almost all they do is talk about how superior TF2 is to Overwatch, to the point where it has become pathetic.

Maybe you should take a trip to the TF2 sub-reddit. Almost all they do is talk about how superior TF2 is to Overwatch, to the point where it has become pathetic.
To be fair, reddit communities always seem really fanatical and obsessive so that's kind of par for the course.

People who think this is a response to Overwatch are hilariously misinformed, but yeah, push back from hardcore TF2 communities is ridiculous. Personally I like both games and am sick of reading about the perceived rivalry between Blizzard's new thing and a 9 year old game.

Puruzi

Banned

I don't care about what the subreddit does, and in any event I also think TF2 is much better than overwatch. I also hope you aren't trying to say that overwatch fans don't do the same thing, because i've seen loads of it all over the internet including here.

I'm not even sure why you think a community specifically about TF2 wouldn't circlejerk their game????

Perro

All I see in r/tf2 is
* Gifs of stupid shit that happens in tf2
* Neato
* Scout voice actors videos

Don't know where the OW bashing comes from

Vidal

Man, I just just got to lvl28 in Overwatch, now this?

32245924.jpg

Miker

Is PASS Time any fun? Perhaps more importantly, were there people playing the mode while it was in beta? Basically looks like Bombing Run from UT2K3/4, which is My Jam.

fhqwhgads

If we're getting a Heavy vs Pyro war then that confirms both of them are gonna get buffed right? Heavy especially since he's been the flat out worst character in the game ever since the minigun nerf.

After putting over 100 hours into Overwatch, I still think TF2 is a better game, but after sinking so many hours into TF2 years ago, I just wanted something new to play. Not sure if this will bring me back or not.

It was nice for a while, but I wish they would stop bolting things into TF2 and make a full sequel. It's why I've fallen for Overwatch: there's a lot of TF2 in there, but it all feels fresh and modern.

Plus there's not 30 Scout bats to keep track of.

Bluth54

It was nice for a while, but I wish they would stop bolting things into TF2 and make a full sequel. It's why I've fallen for Overwatch: there's a lot of TF2 in there, but it all feels fresh and modern.

TF2 is a game as a service with a full in game economy. Valve just can't stop supporting it anymore then they could DOTA2 or CSGO.

Really, what's the difference between this mode and the usual one?

Restricted to two game types (attack/defend and control points)
Pellet spread is fixed
Games don't start until everyone is connected and flags as 'ready' for the match to begin.
Wins/Losses are recorded in your personal MMR, and the system will try to pair you with opponents within a certain range of that so you get consistently challenging matches.

It's a pretty different game when it's 6v6, too. You really have to communicate with teams to watch flank routes on defense and coordinate pushes on offense. The maps are usually designed so that you have to watch between 3-4 routes on every single point. If you don't play your role well you're going to get crushed and lose.

About fucking time.

My heart wants there to be a monumental balance update for every weapon to compensate for no weapon restrictions. My mind knows there won't be.

Restricted to two game types (attack/defend and control points)
Pellet spread is fixed
Games don't start until everyone is connected and flags as 'ready' for the match to begin.
Wins/Losses are recorded in your personal MMR, and the system will try to pair you with opponents within a certain range of that so you get consistently challenging matches.

It's a pretty different game when it's 6v6, too. You really have to communicate with teams to watch flank routes on defense and coordinate pushes on offense. The maps are usually designed so that you have to watch between 3-4 routes on every single point. If you don't play your role well you're going to get crushed and lose.

Thanks Jackie Boy.

About fucking time.

My heart wants there to be a monumental balance update for every weapon to compensate for no weapon restrictions. My mind knows there won't be.

Between Gun Mettle and Tough Break almost every unlock has been modified. I hardly think Valve is going to stop making changes after MyM launches.

Between Gun Mettle and Tough Break almost every unlock has been modified. I hardly think Valve is going to stop making changes after MyM launches.
No no, I understand. I meant tomorrow, there would be a huge revamp of every weapon to prepare for MyM.

Wishful thinking, I know. I'd certainly hope the balance changes would happen eventually, if not tomorrow.

6v6 has always been how competitive tf2 was played, back when competitive tf2 was a thing.

I feel like it should be noted that competitive TF2 is bigger than ever. It's not even vaguely near Counterstrike, but matches are actually drawing 1-2 thousand viewers for the first time in ever.

If we're getting a Heavy vs Pyro war then that confirms both of them are gonna get buffed right? Heavy especially since he's been the flat out worst character in the game ever since the minigun nerf.

Please no Heavy buff. MatchmakIng meta is already to run two of them to mid.

Pyro VS Heavy, how odd...

I guess they ARE the least-picked classes in 6s, wonder if thats what they're going for :p

Spy and Engineer are both picked less.

you sick freak

CTF is the best mode and 2Fort is the best map.

You should play it like I do.

Join an "all talk" server, go Demoman with Scottish Resistance + Ali Baba's Wee Booties (for extra health), cover the grate in stickies and just listen to the other team rage uncontrollably because they can't kill you. It's very entertaining.

I get 60+ kill streaks consistently with this method. One time, I came close to dominating the entire opposing team on a 32 player server.

Competitive player B4nny confirmed on his twitter that we're getting a Heavy vs Pyro war tomorrow and Valve is doing something to prevent it from just being all heavies and pyros in servers tomorrow.

Cosmetics have nothing to do with the quality of the game. Do you understand the difference between cosmetics and gameplay (not to mention the fact that Overwatch has cosmetics from day one)?

If it were just cosmetics do you think people would be so vocal against TF2?

It's all the unbalanced weapons and shite that Valve keeps adding in that alter classes.

When TF2 first launched... The thought process of identifying an enemy was as simple as "See enemy, identify silhouette, enemy 100% identified" you knew EXACTLY what that character was capable of.

Then eventually more and more weapons started rolling out next to cosmetics that added way too many variables to the sandbox. NOW, the thought-process, for example, is... "See enemy, attempt to identify silhouette through the stack of hats and other bollocks adding or subtracting from their figure, attempt to figure out what weapons they are carrying, subset of what this enemy could be potentially identified." Honestly the best course of action in TF2 has become to let the enemy throw the first stone so you can figure out what subclass they are now.

There's too much of a mental-stack going on in TF2. I don't know if this Demoman in front of me is going to blow me up or shank me like someone using Commando in MW2. Back at launch there was ONE set of possible actions a Demoman could use, and you didn't have to account for whatever randumb shit got thrown into the mix. Valve should have just added new characters to TF2 instead of new weapons, seriously. I could think of two new complete characters from the junk added in the original The Medic Update that would add depth to the game rather than shit it up.

Overwatch's cosmetics all make thematic sense for their characters, they don't alter silhouettes (THE BIG ONE.) generally, and the ones that do are still easily identifiable as a specific character since unlike hats, skins are linked to specific characters. Furthermore, Blizzard isn't going to add new weapons to existing characters, but instead make new characters that do new things.

Team Fortress 2 post Mann Co Store has absolutely no artistic integrity whatsoever. Overwatch is a shining beacon for what TF2 shoulda, woulda, coulda become.

tl;dr

stackreduction.png

TF2 is a game as a service with a full in game economy. Valve just can't stop supporting it anymore then they could DOTA2 or CSGO.

I didn't say stop supporting it, but the basic design of the game is almost 9 years old at this point. I would really like them to devote the focus of their efforts elsewhere by now.

commissar

Some of y'all are really overselling the difficulty, or even necessity, of identifying TF2's weaponry.

Is demo carrying a big circle? Yes -> He can charge. No -> Caution: stickies.
All his other weapons are just variants of explosives. You catch them or you don't. You stay in melee range or you don't.

Is that a soldier? Avoid marginally different rockets. Shoot until dead.

Oh no that pyro has a flamethrower/back burner/degreaser/phlog/rainblower/whatever!
Guess I'll have to stay out of range and shoot until dead.

They have a melee variant too! Guess I'll have to stay out of range and shoot until dead.

But the flaregun/shotgun/popgun/whatgun! Guess I'll have to dodge a bit and shoot until dead.

In TF2 there's projectiles, hitscan, melee and then there's stuns and damage over time. Guaranteed crit weapons feel cheap but so does a sticky trapped doorway or camping sniper.

It's an online FPS, you will die from people shooting you with things. You will die from random spam. But I guess it's nice to blame that crucial 6% switch speed bonus or whatever when one yolo's half the enemy team.

At the end of the day, I am disappointed Valve ruined the principles and purity of TF2. But an Engineer wearing a giant banana hat is still quite obviously an Engineer. He just has questionable taste.
In hats, bananas are delicious

Top Bottom