• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1-D_FTW said:
I'm Stalker. But I did think it was funny when I joined to help and not only were you on their team, but me and Puyo also got placed on the team because they were short handed.

When we had Gaf vs 101 on Dustbowl it was fun. It was nice to have Stage 3 be winnable with coordinated attacks again. Also nice to have Gaf finally win against a group of clan players.

I know you're Stalker, I'm not forgetting that one again :lol

Icy said:
Meh. I dare any of that to challenge us. I can setup a Vault vs NeoGAF match 1 night.. I think they're too pussy to do so though. If I get a PM, I'll make it happen. :D

I would love to play an evening of TF2 with a group of neogaf regulars, against a properly coordinated clan. The level of play on icy's server has positively surprised on more than one occasion, but I'm still very curious how we would fare against another good team.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Jesus christ can anyone help me purchase this game through Steam? I have been trying to buy Orange Box for the past 4 days over Steam and NOTHING. Mind you I am buying through PayPal, but it seems its a geographical location problem. Can someone out here, buy the game over Steam and send it over as a gift? Heck I could send the 50 bucks before you buy the game (if you have some time being here in GAF of course) so you feel sure. People, I really wanna spend the Xmas playing TF2 with you guys =P. Help this poor soul!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well Classic is pretty fun but broken in TF2. Engineers can set up show on the other team's roof and camp anyone that tries to leave the door.

...yeah, and Avantiville is broken too, but some people get a kick out of playing it every now and then.

Richardfun said:
I would love to play an evening of TF2 with a group of neogaf regulars, against a properly coordinated clan. The level of play on icy's server has positively surprised on more than one occasion, but I'm still very curious how we would fare against another good team.
We would get ripped to shreds playing the way we play right now. Most good teams have a level of coordination that's really hard to reproduce without practice.

But, it would still be a ton of fun :D .

PillowKnight said:
We would get ripped to shreds playing the way we play right now. Most good teams have a level of coordination that's really hard to reproduce without practice.

But, it would still be a ton of fun :D .

Either you're wrong, or those v101 guys really suck as far as clans go :D

Richardfun said:
Either you're wrong, or those v101 guys really suck as far as clans go :D
Pretty much :p, you think they have time to play TF2 while developing potentially AAA games?

I'm speaking from the Unkind vs. matches I watched, the majority of teams that were practicing for tournament play had an insane amount of coordination.

Edit : Here's an idea, we could have Gaf tournaments of 6v6, or 12v12 if we can get enough people. It'd probably be best to do 6v6s though. Im sure there are at least enough people to get three six person teams.

1-D_FTW

PillowKnight said:
Pretty much :p, you think they have time to play TF2 while developing potentially AAA games?

I'm speaking from the Unkind vs. matches I watched, the majority of teams that were practicing for tournament play had an insane amount of coordination.

It'd be fun to play against like minded clans. Other gaming sites or guys on the level of the 101s (Okay, maybe a little better than that.)

I agree we wouldn't stand a chance against guys who practice 50 hours a week and are trying to make money on it. I've thought of strategies that if implemented with precise coordination, seem like they'd be foolproof. And I'm sure those are the things you're gonna see in coordinated wave after wave.

But I see even sites like Cheap Ass Gamer have a pretty big clan. So I'm sure there's plenty of clans we could play that were recreationists like us.

EDIT: Missed your edit. That could be fun, too.

1-D_FTW said:
It'd be fun to play against like minded clans. Other gaming sites or guys on the level of the 101s (Okay, maybe a little better than that.)

I agree we wouldn't stand a chance against guys who practice 50 hours a week and are trying to make money on it. I've thought of strategies that if implemented with precise coordination, seem like they'd be foolproof. And I'm sure those are the things you're gonna see in coordinated wave after wave.

But I see even sites like Cheap Ass Gamer have a pretty big clan. So I'm sure there's plenty of clans we could play that were recreationists like us.
Yeah, there really aren't that many people who want to start a gaf clan though. I'll bet the reason being that we don't have a good leader. I agree with you though, it is a lot of fun. More so than playing on public servers vs random teams.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
Well Classic is pretty fun but broken in TF2. Engineers can set up show on the other team's roof and camp anyone that tries to leave the door.

...yeah, and Avantiville is broken too, but some people get a kick out of playing it every now and then.

there's a new beta I gotta download.

1-D_FTW said:

EDIT: Missed your edit. That could be fun, too.

Amen to that, trying to play against other groups of people of similar class and experience. But the idea of 6 VS 6 neogaf is also fun. However, how would you do that? Can an admin make it so that the server is 'full' with 12 players?

Richardfun said:
Amen to that, trying to play against other groups of people of similar class and experience. But the idea of 6 VS 6 neogaf is also fun. However, how would you do that? Can an admin make it so that the server is 'full' with 12 players?
He can, im sure it would be a nice use of central. If Icy doesn't want to we could always try to convince Cheeto. The hard part though will be picking the teams, the second hardest will be beating Puyo's overstacked bandwagon of destruction. Great fun either way though.

I forgot to post this a while back :
cp_dustbowl0058.jpg

Richardfun said:
you dont need to make the server 12 people...just have to put a password on it and those who want to watch just join spectator... I used to play tons of matches in my TFC days, wouldnt mind getting back to that on some degree.

Firestorm

If we don't wanna go hardcore 6v6, I think 12v12 with other websites would be a load of fun =) GAF vs 1UP let's go (or is that redundant?)

Kade

I'd like to be a part of it. I'm pro at this game. I'm getting signed.

We should actually start a TF2 CAL team or something.

1-D_FTW

PillowKnight said:
He can, im sure it would be a nice use of central. If Icy doesn't want to we could always try to convince Cheeto. The hard part though will be picking the teams, the second hardest will be beating Puyo's overstacked bandwagon of destruction. Great fun either way though.

I forgot to post this a while back :

The Storyteller is pretty damn good. So as long as he was on one team, I think it could balance pretty well.

firex

I would be all for some fun organized matches... can't do it right now since I'm in almost the exact same situation as Richardfun and I'm using my mom's laptop with an integrated video card, but when I get back to my apartment I could play.

WARCOCK

Banned
Pyroteknikz said:
I'd like to be a part of it. I'm pro at this game. I'm getting signed.

We should actually start a TF2 CAL team or something.

We would get totally shat on in CAL and never want to play TF2 again :)

RPhilMan1

I used to play in CAL and TWL all the time for CoD.

I think it would be a great idea to start something up like that. We do have a pretty talented bunch.

Kade

WARCOCK said:
We would get totally shat on in CAL and never want to play TF2 again :)

Believe me when I say this. 60% of the CAL teams in the TF2 6v6 league suck ass and are a bunch of duel_duel1 players who think they're good. Considering the regulars on the GAF server, I think we can do it and make it to the playoffs. Thing is, we would need a private server, and I don't think Icy wants to pay for more servers.

Icy

Banned
Pyroteknikz said:
Believe me when I say this. 60% of the CAL teams in the TF2 6v6 league suck ass and are a bunch of duel_duel1 players who think they're good. Considering the regulars on the GAF server, I think we can do it and make it to the playoffs. Thing is, we would need a private server, and I don't think Icy wants to pay for more servers.

99% of the people here don't have the time to put for practice and tranining for a professional league. We tried it, we know :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, we play TF2 for fun first and foremost, or at least that's what I do. I'd love to play in an organized match, but getting such a thing scheduled would be tough.

That being said, we COULD work on strategies that involve various combinations of people. Let's say 4-5 gaffers on one team and such...

"99% of the people here don't have the time to put for practice and tranining for a professional league. We tried it, we know :)"

Ding ding ding ding.

Kade

Icy said:
99% of the people here don't have the time to put for practice and tranining for a professional league. We tried it, we know :)

GAF doesn't need practice. Seeing the way Javaman helps the team, and Teknopathetic seems like he has an aimbot(Not saying you hack, don't hurt me), we can take on other teams. But the time and schedule thing is the problem.

No trust me, we *need* practice. We tried with a pretty good lineup of GAF regulars. Me, PillowKnight, Zanboo, Omega, Cheeto, Quellex, Warcock (though he didn't sign up on the site so he couldn't play in the tournament). We won like 2 scrims out of probably 7 or 8. And we got completely decimated in the second round of the tournament.

Edited, meant Scrims not pugs.

Kade

Teknopathetic said:
No trust me, we *need* practice. We tried with a pretty good lineup of GAF regulars. Me, PillowKnight, Zanboo, Omega, Cheeto, Quellex, Warcock (though he didn't sign up on the site so he couldn't play in the tournament). We won like 2 pugs out of probably 7 or 8. And we got completely decimated in the second round of the tournament.

Ok, screw it then. Completely scratch out what I said earlier.

Twig

Banned
I'd be interested in some in-GAF tourneys for fun, but any real tourneys would just kick my ass. I've seen good teams play.

Holy shit I've seen good teams play.

(Well okay not directly, but I've watched videos on YouTube and such.)

Hitokage said:
Yeah, we play TF2 for fun first and foremost, or at least that's what I do. I'd love to play in an organized match, but getting such a thing scheduled would be tough.

That being said, we COULD work on strategies that involve various combinations of people. Let's say 4-5 gaffers on one team and such...
Well, a tournament in between us won't be that serious, at least not enough to demand a lot of practice.

The hardest part will be getting the teams together. Ideally we would have 4-5 teams. So, if you're interested , start grouping up and we can go from there.

Anyways anyone want to be on my team?
So far its :
Me, and Zero.

n0b

A gaf league would be cool, but I'd be fine if we just decided on a gaf night and locked off one of the servers for at least one night a week. I miss playing with big groups of gaffers. ):

yeb

I'd go crazy if I tried to take this game seriously, my framerate causes enough frustration as it is. Besides, I dislike the small teams of competitive matches, it's a completely different game with 6v6 or 8v8.

firex

oh, yeah. I was assuming organized matches were just going to be GAF only or GAF vs. vault 101 or something for fun, not like real genuine clan matches. I don't have the free time or the system to try and be a pro gamer, but an in-GAF match or a GAF vs some other fun group match would be awesome.

if you have to limit it and want spectators, why not do 10v10 or 11v11 and have those 2-4 slots reserved for spectators? That way teams are still big enough to accomodate all classes, and if they insist on a specator for some kind of impartial judgment (or just someone to record the whole match) it could still exist.

Pyroteknikz said:

CAL? As in California, or what?

Jacobi

Banned
I'd like to participate in some epic GAFery if the time was possible (EU player).
In your team PillowKnight if OK, but the thing I really wonder about is where the hell the new maps are. I have the feeling this is just a cruel, cruel joke.

And Pyrotekniz, what's your steam name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom