• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though the donation page shows this nice amount of donations.. I think last I checked the reversals count for $280.00 total but that amount isn't figured into the total on the front. Front page shows total donations received without subtracting the reversals.

Jesus. What the fuck is wrong with people.

$455 / $50/mo = 8 months.

Icy, where did the money go?

the reversals count for $280.00 total

And didn't Icy have a couple servers running at one point?

I hate to be resigned to losing the server if there's something we can do, but considering the amount of retracted donations, my faith in the gaf community is pretty low.

The only thing I can think of is getting some people together who would be willing to donate a fixed amount a month, give them admin positions on the server, and keep it alive that way. But that would require a commitment that I can understand people not wanting to make or being able to make.

Davidion

I'm down for Soldier, Demo, medic...maybe Pyro and Scout.

How long a period of time will this be across? I'll need to see if I even have time after work. :lol :(

"And didn't Icy have a couple servers running at one point?"

He had 3 at one point. 2 tf2 and 1 COD4.

"How long a period of time will this be across? I'll need to see if I even have time after work."

Shit, I forgot school starts up next week. I'd only be able to play weekends :(

I don't think the tourney should be anything too complex. Just divide up into ~4 teams, make room for subs in case people get busy/drop out.

A practice or two on a weekday, with real games on the weekend.

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:
I don't think the tourney should be anything too complex. Just divide up into ~4 teams, make room for subs in case people get busy/drop out.

A practice or two on a weekday, with real games on the weekend.

I can see this being mainly a weekend thing Server is paid for until 2/12/08 I believe.

Icy

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"And didn't Icy have a couple servers running at one point?"

He had 3 at one point. 2 tf2 and 1 COD4.

"How long a period of time will this be across? I'll need to see if I even have time after work."

Shit, I forgot school starts up next week. I'd only be able to play weekends :(

Just to clarify donated funds when to Server #1 only, had a #2 and #3 for a short while. and a CoD 4. 2/3/CoD4 came out of my pocket along with the first 2 months of server #1.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
Bah, read that as $60 in reversals.

Well I read the 60 dollars thing too. The 280 number was updated. Surprised Icy changed the format to give donators priority since more than 50 percent were deadbeats (Sixty percent with the latest.) And why would he even want to keep it going unless something "magically happened?" I know I wouldn't be looking for future funding if they were just gonna chargeback it.

YakiSOBA

I highly recommend this class limitation for 6v6:

2 Soldiers
2 Snipers
2 Scouts
2 Pyros
1 Medic
1 Heavy
1 Spy
1 Demoman
1 Engineer

It's what all the competitive leagues use for 6v6, and most balanced IMO.

So you could have 2 soldiers, a medic, a sniper, a demo, and a scout for example at any given time, etc etc. Depends on the situation, offensive/defensive...blah.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Well I read the 60 dollars thing too. The 280 number was updated. Surprised Icy changed the format to give donators priority since more than 50 percent were deadbeats (Sixty percent with the latest.) And why would he even want to keep it going unless something "magically happened?" I know I wouldn't be looking for future funding if they were just gonna chargeback it.

As much as We dont get along. You're perfectly right. Some people are donating and the amount is gonna sit in amazon, I'll make a decision within a week as to what I shall do. If I decide to kill it, I'll process refunds for it all. SO until then.. I'd love to keep it going. But there's that whole hmm... am I gonna get fucked again?

Davidion

1-D_FTW said:

Wow, so did people pay to get reserved slots then withdraw the money anonymously? What jackasses.

Cheeto

Davidion said:
Wow, so did people pay to get reserved slots then withdraw the money anonymously? What jackasses.
Ya thats a pretty dick thing to do...but still, Amazon/Paypal should tell you who is disputing, that seems like such a basic requirement for something like this.

Icy

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Ya thats a pretty dick thing to do...but still, Amazon/Paypal should tell you who is disputing, that seems like such a basic requirement for something like this.

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, what the fuck, Amazon?

It's the main problem with the donations. If we could figure out some system that tracks who is donating and who disputes, I doubt the chargeback problem would ever happen again.

I mainly play demo.

I honestly had no idea there were so many assholes on the gaf server. Most of the people I played with were pretty cool.

So, no random teams?

Once again me and zero, who else wants to join us?
We need(In descending priority)-
Scout
Medic
Sniper
Soldier
Engie

Puyo, once everyone teams up you should start a thread where we can coordinate. That thread would also be a good place for stragglers to find teams.

JoeFu

Banned
I'll be heavy.

I love pyro, but I think I last longer as a heavy.

also, donated a little amount again. hopefully it helps.

Come on guys!

Remember when the server was about to go down and we pulled through?!?!

Cheeto

PillowKnight said:
I honestly had no idea there were so many assholes on the gaf server. Most of the people I played with were pretty cool.

So, no random teams?

Scout
Medic
Sniper
Soldier
Engie

Puyo, once everyone teams up you should start a thread where we can coordinate. That thread would also be a good place for stragglers to find teams.
I'll take any of those positions.

After work I'll create a new thread and we can discuss more details (time, levels, rules). People who have played in previous tourneys please let us know common rules like these.

Should I just go ahead and divide up teams based on classes? Plan right is now is to make 4 teams with evenly balanced classes.

Cheeto

omgimaninja said:
After work I'll create a new thread and we can discuss more details (time, levels, rules). People who have played in previous tourneys please let us know common rules like these.

Should I just go ahead and divide up teams based on classes? Plan right is now is to make 4 teams with evenly balanced classes.

This one is what just about every ladder uses.
YakiSOBA said:
I highly recommend this class limitation for 6v6:

2 Soldiers
2 Snipers
2 Scouts
2 Pyros
1 Medic
1 Heavy
1 Spy
1 Demoman
1 Engineer

It's what all the competitive leagues use for 6v6, and most balanced IMO.

So you could have 2 soldiers, a medic, a sniper, a demo, and a scout for example at any given time, etc etc. Depends on the situation, offensive/defensive...blah.

PillowKnight said:

So, no random teams?

Scout
Medic
Sniper
Soldier
Engie

I'll be Engie.

omgimaninja said:

How are you going to "balance" the classes though, ie out of 6 which team gets a pyro and which team gets a demo?

n0b

Icy with the donation trouble, maybe the best course of action would be to go for a server with less slots(cheaper) and then just lock it to gaffers(if the server host offers cheaper servers for private). Maybe 16? That way, we can keep the GAF tourney going without trying to rush it in before payment runs out, and on non-league nights we could just pub with the players we know.

I'd hate to see the server go completely. :(

Icy

Banned
n0b said:
Icy with the donation trouble, maybe the best course of action would be to go for a server with less slots(cheaper) and then just lock it to gaffers(if the server host offers cheaper servers for private). Maybe 16? That way, we can keep the GAF tourney going without trying to rush it in before payment runs out, and on non-league nights we could just pub with the players we know.

I'd hate to see the server go completely. :(

I'll think about it. Got several donations from "good" neogaffers and its swaying me to keep it going.

Well, my best classes are medic and heavy. So here is a shout out to the team captains: if you want a heavy or medic who knows what he's doing, just gimme a shout. I like playing heavy, but only if there is a proper medic on the team already. If there isn't, I'll take that job on :D

Oh, and did I read over it, or hasn't a weekend been picked yet for this? I just hope it's not this one, I'm going to Londen for a few days tomorrow, and I doubt I'll be back at my computer before Saturday night.

Oh, and one other request. Let's do it at a time that also at least kinda works for Europeans. If we play around 6 or 7pm US time, at least I won't have to stay up until 6 in the morning :lol

Cheeto

Icy said:
I'll think about it. Got several donations from "good" neogaffers and its swaying me to keep it going.
What if donators posted in this thread with the amount donated and order ID when they donate? Then maybe you can consider non-posted donations as money in your account that you really don't have, kinda like writing a check to someone that takes forever to cash it. Just a thought.

Icy

Banned
MapCycle:

cp_dustbowl
cp_granary
cp_warpath
ctf_2fort
cp_gravelpit
cp_well
ctf_casbah
tc_hydro
cp_castle2

Crits are back on.

Richardfun said:
Well, my best classes are medic and heavy. So here is a shout out to the team captains: if you want a heavy or medic who knows what he's doing, just gimme a shout. I like playing heavy, but only if there is a proper medic on the team already. If there isn't, I'll take that job on :D

Oh, and did I read over it, or hasn't a weekend been picked yet for this? I just hope it's not this one, I'm going to Londen for a few days tomorrow, and I doubt I'll be back at my computer before Saturday night.

Oh, and one other request. Let's do it at a time that also at least kinda works for Europeans. If we play around 6 or 7pm US time, at least I won't have to stay up until 6 in the morning :lol

Hey Richard there is more info on the teams in the other thread. Team BLU has you and Firestorm so that's 2 good medics, or 1 great medic/heavy combo

Icy said:
and its a 55mb map download. Bigger than Horus.

Yeah--I think Badlands can wait until the new version comes out. Even if it's not entirely true to the original, I trust in Valve to make it fun.

Badlands classic is such a complex map that it takes full teams to really enjoy it, IMO. With such a huge custom map download, that just doesn't happen.

Capndrake

Played some random customs today and kak told me to suggest them here to put on the server, so:

Mario Kart: DM map (So there's no winner) where you can drive around karts, buses, motorcycles, tanks and vans while shooting out of them (If you've bound Use to a key - Read the map description). Map is also littered with internet memes (No offensive ones). Pretty funny. And there's a Weighted Companion Cube. This should replace Sniper Brawl and Ringking as nonsense map IMO.

Skywalk: CP map with 4 CPs - Only catch is that there's no specific order, so you can get any of them in any order you want as long as you get them all eventually. Only downside is that for some reason the spawn doors open slower than normal.

Facelike: CTF map where you're in space (So floaty jumps) and need to cross an arch made of rock inbetween two space bases. There's teleports (That look like futuristic teleports, not those blueprint ones in Sniper Brawl) that send you to various areas in your base as well. You can also break through the roof of the enemy base if you can get up there.

Science: Straightforward CP map with 5 CPs - Only 3 of them are on the "straight" path though, the other two are to the side. Nothing too special but pretty fun.

Station: Straightforward CP map with 5 CPs set around a train station. Relatively big with lots of good places to put each class to good use.

Davidion

Capndrake said:
Played some random customs today and kak told me to suggest them here to put on the server, so:

Mario Kart: DM map (So there's no winner) where you can drive around karts, buses, motorcycles, tanks and vans while shooting out of them (If you've bound Use to a key - Read the map description). Map is also littered with internet memes (No offensive ones). Pretty funny. And there's a Weighted Companion Cube. This should replace Sniper Brawl and Ringking as nonsense map IMO.

:eek:

Also: a CTF inspird by the convoy map from UT2k4. :eek:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/44236

SexConker

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
What if donators posted in this thread with the amount donated and order ID when they donate? Then maybe you can consider non-posted donations as money in your account that you really don't have, kinda like writing a check to someone that takes forever to cash it. Just a thought.

I've already PMd Icy, but I support this idea.

Transaction ID: 700123035172
Date: 21-Jan-2008
Paid by: xxxxxxxxletter@hotmail.com
Paid to: Jon Leixxxxx
Amount: $50.00
Method: Visa (xxxxx)

Icy

Banned
I think I am making head way with these guys.. I may have a list of names of who reversed shortly. I so hope to god i get it......

Anyways.. There's a 90% chance I'm keeping the server up. Anyone who makes a donation, please PM your transaction information,etc when you donate beginning today. Any and all future donations will be refunded after 2 days if I get no PM. :D

"I think I am making head way with these guys.. I may have a list of names of who reversed shortly. I so hope to god i get it......

Anyways.. There's a 90% chance I'm keeping the server up. Anyone who makes a donation, please PM your transaction information,etc when you donate beginning today. Any and all future donations will be refunded after 2 days if I get no PM. :D "

I think that idea a lot! :D

Capndrake

Checked that Convoy map out too, also pretty damn awesome like you said, Davidion.

I take back what I said about the Mario Kart map being the one that should replace Ringking. Somebody actually went and made a Final Destination (SSBM) map where your view is always in third person, you can only move left/right, you can only use melee weapons, and the Brawl main theme plays :lol You can get it here.

Icy

Banned
Capndrake said:
Checked that Convoy map out too, also pretty damn awesome like you said, Davidion.

I take back what I said about the Mario Kart map being the one that should replace Ringking. Somebody actually went and made a Final Destination (SSBM) map where your view is always in third person, you can only move left/right, you can only use melee weapons, and the Brawl main theme plays :lol You can get it here.

This sounds.. glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom