• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasae

Banned
Drkirby said:
Here is a version of the song I think would be nice to play in the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIIwqafrO4&feature=related
Terrible. I would suggest this as a replacement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPWWJ_STfIU&feature=related

EDIT: Before I forget.

33licd4.jpg

(._.)

Banned
moojito said:
Disaster averted! On the next game I played I had the refined metal as a 'random' drop. I guess that must be some system they have for handling that situation. I got a "modest pile of hat" as well. Good times :D
Yeah, the same thing happened to me once only it happened right after I got two hats back to back. I just crafted a Safe n' Sound after a long time of saving u,p then I got the stainless pot as a random hat drop (on the GAF server btw). They were gone the next day and I didn't see them for a couple hours later.

Javaman

Ultimatum said:
there's been loads of 50-100mb patches recently, maybe they're slowly working in the polycount stuff

Valve really sucks at sending out small patches. Even a readme update is going to clock in at over 20megs.:lol

Minor shit this time as well...

Updating 'Team Fortress 2 Content' from version 168 to version 169

14.08% downloading ./orangebox/tf/bin/server.dll
36.15% downloading ./orangebox/tf/bin/server.dylib
74.13% downloading ./orangebox/tf/bin/server.so
89.39% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/cp_dustbowl.ain
89.39% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/cp_well.ain
89.39% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/tc_hydro.ain
89.39% downloading ./orangebox/tf/steam.inf

Checking/Installing 'Team Fortress 2 Materials' version 71

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Materials' version 8

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Models' version 4

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Sounds' version 4

Updating 'OB Linux Dedicated Server' from version 61 to version 62

96.70% downloading ./orangebox/bin/engine.so
100.00% downloading ./orangebox/bin/materialsystem.so

I was going to say I was surprised they put out a patch the day of their Highlander competition, but it looks like a potential DDOS attack ruined that. Shame.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Been using the gunslinger a bit. I still don't think it's that great (I prefer putting sentries in awkward places and going back to hit them once or twice if needed), but goddamn they're annoying as hell for the other team.

Harvest was a massacre since they're so quick to set up and have a long range.

TUSR

Banned
Blizzard said:
I just saw the aimbot (pretty funny) and flower power video by that guy yesterday. Whoever he/they are, they do a really impressive job editing their videos. :D
holy crap this was the same guy who made the frozen crossing video too?

commissar

nah looks like they just added the forum yesterday and people are getting in on the trading actions.

Though the last two patches have been suspiciously large, so would expect something soon

commissar said:
nah looks like they just added the forum yesterday and people are getting in on the trading actions.

Though the last two patches have been suspiciously large, so would expect something soon
Actually they added the trading forum a month ago.

(._.)

Banned
Trading should be pretty awesome.

I have a Heavy duty rag and a Respectless rubber glove up for trade if anybody is interested when the feature is added (hopefully very soon).

moojito

I started playing with the scout recently. It's pretty good fun once you get the hang of the whole aiming thing. I was looking for some guide videos on youtube and saw two from some guy from enigma (a top clan from the sound of it) that talk about advanced 6v6 scout tactics. Yeah, I don't think I'll ever be doing any of that! That was some crazy coordination and strategy stuff going on there.

On the other hand, I saw another video that showed you that you can jump on top of heavies and hit them with your baseball bat. That's more like it! :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
moojito said:
I started playing with the scout recently. It's pretty good fun once you get the hang of the whole aiming thing. I was looking for some guide videos on youtube and saw two from some guy from enigma (a top clan from the sound of it) that talk about advanced 6v6 scout tactics. Yeah, I don't think I'll ever be doing any of that! That was some crazy coordination and strategy stuff going on there.

On the other hand, I saw another video that showed you that you can jump on top of heavies and hit them with your baseball bat. That's more like it! :lol
I've only been recently dabbling with scout, so Boonoo will be able to explain better.

For myself, it's recognizing what you're dealing with.

Heavy and medic = run
Engie with gunslinger = run
Demoman = get up real close to take away his range
Spies = chase them down fiercely. even if they're douche ringing, run to the nearest ammo/healthbox and listen for the sound.
Medic healing someone = try to sneak in and mess him up even if you die
Medic in narrow tunnel = run
Sniper = flank
Pyro = mid range flank
Scouts = really depends on your aim and proximity to health/ammo/back up
Solly with no aim = try to time it so you get up close and personal
Solly with aim = weaken and try to pick off from afar (Jesus Christ...I pug with people who easily hit air shots...and no matter where I jumped or how I dodged, he always got me)
Heavy by himself with low health = depends on the weapon, how low, distance, etc etc.

Scouts aren't designed for frontal assaults. They're more for capping, pushing, flanking, back attacks, and picking off weak/lone targets. They can, however, really fuck any other class up if you get in real close and meatshot them. Try to use the terrain to your advantage when escaping, flanking, or hiding. Also, don't panic and shoot if you see an enemy's back turned. You're better off closing the distance of an unsuspecting enemy and meatshotting from behind instead of shooting from far away and letting him turn around. I think it was the other night on the GAF server, there was an ubered heavy and the pair saw me, but were concentrating on other people. I just waited behind some rocks, and as soon as the uber was over, ran right up behind the medic, killed him, and was able to weaken the heavy enough with meatshots that I got an assist when someone else killed him.

In general, the biggest weakness of most novice TF2 players is their tendency to over-extend. This is particularly noticeable with scouts. No matter HOW good you are, even top comp players, you're going to have trouble taking out 3-4 people. If you see them all facing you, don't try and be a hero. Run, get health, try another angle.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Don't forget to mention it helps a Scout a lot if they're playing on a server with No Spread, and less than 32 freakin' people. :lol

Animal

Banned
I've pretty much ignored this game since release.

I started playing about a week ago. Holy shit this game has changed! I can't stop playing.

I joined the GAF group and I will be on all the time playing.

Blizzard

Banned
Got half of the medic/scout achievement tonight -- I kritz'd a scout who killed three people...it was close, but we got it. I think I got 2 kills as a scout when DrunkMedicJava gave me kritzkrieg, but we never got the third. =(

KJTB

Got my first random hat drop! I got the scouts whooper hat, Woot! I had to craft my first two hats (150 weapons?) so seeing that I randomly got this one was so awesome.

I may or may not have done a victory lap around my room :lol

Been practicing with the huntsman lately and I've started to get pretty good with it. I feel like there is a little too much luck involved but overtime with some good predictability it seems you can start to make good use of it.

Like someone else said, the trading forum has been around for at least a month already in preparation of the update. Personally I'm planning on trading my glenbarry bonnet for a spy hat (I already set up a deal with a guy on the steam forums) and now I guess I'm going to try and trade my scout hat for a sniper or pyro hat.

dorkimoe

i got the camera beard the other day.

FYI. My computer exploded from lightning so now im building a new one, going to have TF2 withdrawals :(.

i had just started playing in the gaf server too

KJTB

dorkimoe said:
i got the camera beard the other day.

FYI. My computer exploded from lightning so now im building a new one, going to have TF2 withdrawals :(.

i had just started playing in the gaf server too

I have a camera beard as well but I don't count that because I got it when the drop thing was bugged and they were common

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dipindots said:
I have a camera beard as well but I don't count that because I got it when the drop thing was bugged and they were common
I regret not playing that one day everyone got bazillions of camera beards -.-. No wonder so many people have tons of hats.

Yeef

Ultimatum said:
GAF server name changed to Team Fortress 2 Arena Server and now plays arena maps

did I miss something? ._.
Last night, right before I left (I was the last one on) the server changed to an arena map. Then when I disconnected it wasn't showing up in my favorites anymore.

NickP786

Just started playing again for the first time in almost a year, I can't believe all the changes they made! Looking forward to getting back into it, even though I'll still be as awful as ever lol

Yeef

Everyone's so excited about trading and new items with the Polycount pack that I had forgotten that they also say there will be a new game mode. I wonder what it'll be.

Yeef

The airblast is less useful with low gravity. It just puts your enemies out of your range where they are free to shoot you.

Yasae

Banned
You guys are so serious, you'd give Ben Stein a heart attack.

And I still don't know who this "pet" is? Was he part of the Beach Boys? Is he up for adoption?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yasae said:
You guys are so serious, you'd give Ben Stein a heart attack.

And I still don't know who this "pet" is? Was he part of the Beach Boys? Is he up for adoption?
You still trollin? :p

He's one of the admins
read TEH MOTD

Yasae

Banned
notsol337 said:
I'm an admin! WHO SHOULD I BAN?!

I should ban Twig when he gets banned from GAF.
Things would really get dry. All we'd hear on the GAF server is random coughing and then, "Sorry." Then whistling wind and tumbleweeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom