• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeef said:
Everyone's so excited about trading and new items with the Polycount pack that I had forgotten that they also say there will be a new game mode. I wonder what it'll be.
Fuck that, I wonder when it'll come out.

Yeef

enzo_gt said:
Fuck that, I wonder when it'll come out.
Why bother guessing at things that are impossible to guess at? At least with the new game type someone has a chance of figuring out what it might be.

GAF Server IP: 68.232.178.184:27015
Steam Community group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2

28tdtld.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Its fun to guess!

My guess for the next mode is some sort of sabotage mode, where you have to get into the enemy base and mess stuff up, and vise versa.

moojito

Drkirby said:
Its fun to guess!

My guess for the next mode is some sort of sabotage mode, where you have to get into the enemy base and mess stuff up, and vise versa.

I imagine if it was that it would work out like king of the hill, but a point in each base you have to hold onto.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I want a 'kill sciz' mode! :D

Or maybe one player will play a boss, and the other two teams will try to take the boss down whilst also messing each other up.

Yeef

They should make a payload race map that just goes in a figure 8 and never ends. They could call it hightower2.0

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
moojito said:
I imagine if it was that it would work out like king of the hill, but a point in each base you have to hold onto.
I was thinking of something like a large 50's computer you had to destroy, maybe a few of them.

Boonoo

Highlander is already official.

I forget where I read it, but a TF2 community map designer was talking about how he played around with the destroy some object game mode. He said the trickiest thing about it was that certain classes were marginalized since not everyone was as able to break the object effectively.

(._.)

Banned
An official Highlander mode would be very cool but I probably wouldn't play it much mainly because it would probably get the separation treatment Arena gets. I'm just hoping for something original and able to be mixed in rotation servers. I hope they add some new maps for A/D and TC in the future also.

Blizzard

Banned
(._.) said:
An official Highlander mode would be very cool but I probably wouldn't play it much mainly because it would probably get the separation treatment Arena gets. I'm just hoping for something original and able to be mixed in rotation servers. I hope they add some new maps for A/D and TC in the future also.
They just added a 5-point capture map, beloved by all. If they ever add another territory control map, I just wish it wouldn't have the map popup every 35 seconds once territories change hands, while I randomly hammer keys trying to remember which one closes it (some screens are closed by enter and other by escape I think?). It confuses and annoys my poor little brain and makes me feel like I'm starting a new map.

Of course, the other nice thing if they made a territory control map would be to make it where half the map isn't full of narrow tunnel chokepoints. :p

(._.)

Banned
Blizzard said:
They just added a 5-point capture map, beloved by all. If they ever add another territory control map, I just wish it wouldn't have the map popup every 35 seconds once territories change hands, while I randomly hammer keys trying to remember which one closes it (some screens are closed by enter and other by escape I think?). It confuses and annoys my poor little brain and makes me feel like I'm starting a new map.

Of course, the other nice thing if they made a territory control map would be to make it where half the map isn't full of narrow tunnel chokepoints. :p
Yeah, that freefrag cold front map is very good but I just can't play capture point maps for very long. Its not just cold front but most of them. It really depends though. Playing cp_ maps back to back feels like a drag to me. I like all of them except cp_badlands. I can play any number of a/d variations of them back to back though, haha. There is only one tc_ map (Hydro) and people either like it or don't. I personally like it and wouldn't mind more.

Confidence Man said:
You can do that already.

I'm thinking it'll be some kind of hunt the VIP mode.
There is prop hunt which I think I have only played twice. It is very similar to like a vip hunt mode I guess. I'm not sure if that game mode is official.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boonoo said:
I forget where I read it, but a TF2 community map designer was talking about how he played around with the destroy some object game mode. He said the trickiest thing about it was that certain classes were marginalized since not everyone was as able to break the object effectively.
Maybe some sort of part capture within each base, with some built in and repairable till capped level 3 sentry guns. The only problem I could see is it would make the scout far less useful, unless you could capture other unprotected points to permently disable the sentry guns also. A huge array of points to defend and capture for both teams, making it more ideal for large team.

Or they instead could just add in 2 other teams.

Has anyone played the sourcecraft mod by any chance? It's a set of servers that apparently add RPG (resource gathering/exp gaining in order to obtain special abilities, attribute boosts) elements to the game. The guys that created this mod don't do a very good job in explaining it and I was wondering if anyone here has some good impressions of it...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Circle of Willis said:
Has anyone played the sourcecraft mod by any chance? It's a set of servers that apparently add RPG (resource gathering/exp gaining in order to obtain special abilities, attribute boosts) elements to the game. The guys that created this mod don't do a very good job in explaining it and I was wondering if anyone here has some good impressions of it...
posted about it earlier...

1-D_FTW

Anyone else having trouble since the update?

Got the itch to play again and my performance is a laggy, unplayable mess.

Checked out performance, and my CPUs are in the 95-100 percent range and my GTX 460 is running at about 20 percent load:( Not a winning combo.

Even tried restarting Windows 7.

EDIT: Booted into XP and it runs fine. With v-sync off my FPS was routinely 120-150 and spiked as high as 250.

Blizzard

Banned
(._.) said:
100.9 mb update incoming.
Those stat bugs and localization files must be pretty big.

Also that's a weird performance thing. :( I was hoping my performance would get BETTER if I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

I've been getting performance differences after every single patch lately. It either stays normal and perfectly smooth, or it becomes a horrible jumpy mess which is then fixed or worsened by the next patch. Running Windows 7 64 bit btw.

Javaman

One update is finished on the server. The massive size was because it DLed the maps again...

I don't see anything major unfortunately. (apart from the large version jump)

Updating 'Team Fortress 2 Content' from version 161 to version 171

1.75% downloading ../orangebox/tf/bin/server.dll
4.48% downloading ../orangebox/tf/bin/server.dylib
9.19% downloading ../orangebox/tf/bin/server.so
11.11% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/soundcache/cp_yukon_final.manifest
11.14% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/soundcache/koth_viaduct.manifest
11.18% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/soundcache/pl_thundermountain.manifest
11.21% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/soundcache/pl_upward.manifest
11.24% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/soundcache/plr_hightower.manifest
11.27% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/soundcache/plr_pipeline.manifest
14.01% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/cp_yukon_final.bsp
25.69% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/koth_viaduct.bsp
36.36% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/pl_thundermountain.bsp
56.89% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/pl_upward.bsp
74.46% downloading ../orangebox/tf/maps/plr_hightower.bsp
87.11% downloading ../orangebox/tf/media/cp_coldfront.mov
88.04% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/hwm/soldier.dx90.vtx
88.45% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/hwm/soldier.mdl
88.45% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/hwm/soldier.phy
88.66% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/hwm/soldier.vvd
88.66% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/items/all_class/parasite_hat.dx90.vtx
88.66% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/items/all_class/parasite_hat.mdl
88.66% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/items/all_class/parasite_hat.phy
88.68% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/items/all_class/parasite_hat.vvd
88.70% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/items/soldier/worms_gear.dx90.vtx
88.70% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/items/soldier/worms_gear.mdl
88.78% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/items/soldier/worms_gear.vvd
88.87% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/soldier.dx90.vtx
89.14% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/soldier.mdl
89.15% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/soldier.phy
89.35% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/player/soldier.vvd
89.35% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/props_gameplay/ball001.dx90.vtx
89.35% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/props_gameplay/ball001.mdl
89.36% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/props_gameplay/ball001.phy
89.36% downloading ../orangebox/tf/models/props_gameplay/ball001.vvd
89.38% downloading ../orangebox/tf/particles/flamethrower_dx80.pcf
89.38% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/loadingdialogerror.res
89.39% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/modevents.res
89.58% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_danish.txt
89.78% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_dutch.txt
89.88% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_english.txt
90.07% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_finnish.txt
90.27% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_french.txt
90.47% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_german.txt
90.51% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_hungarian.txt
90.71% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_italian.txt
90.88% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_japanese.txt
91.05% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_korean.txt
91.21% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_koreana.txt
91.37% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_norwegian.txt
91.57% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_polish.txt
91.76% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_portuguese.txt
91.96% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_romanian.txt
92.16% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_russian.txt
92.32% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_schinese.txt
92.50% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_spanish.txt
92.69% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_swedish.txt
92.85% downloading ../orangebox/tf/resource/tf_tchinese.txt
92.90% downloading ../orangebox/tf/scripts/items/items_game.txt
92.90% downloading ../orangebox/tf/scripts/game_sounds_player.txt
92.93% downloading ../orangebox/tf/scripts/gamehaptics.txt
92.93% downloading ../orangebox/tf/scripts/surfaceproperties_tf.txt
93.05% downloading ../orangebox/tf/sound/player/taunt_wormshhg.wav
93.85% downloading ../orangebox/tf/sound/ui/gamestartup10.mp3
93.85% downloading ../orangebox/tf/steam.inf

Updating 'Team Fortress 2 Materials' from version 66 to version 71

93.85% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/backpack/player/items/all_class/parasite_hat.vmt
93.85% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/backpack/player/items/all_class/parasite_hat_large.vmt
93.85% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/backpack/player/items/soldier/worms_gear.vmt
93.85% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/backpack/player/items/soldier/worms_gear_large.vmt
93.85% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/player/items/all_class/all_halo.vmt
93.86% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/player/items/all_class/id_badge_gold.vmt
93.86% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/player/items/all_class/id_badge_platinum.vmt
93.86% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/player/items/all_class/id_badge_silver.vmt
93.86% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/player/items/all_class/parasite_skin.vmt
93.86% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/player/items/medic/medic_mirror.vmt
93.86% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/player/items/soldier/worms_gear.vmt
93.86% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/props_gameplay/ball001.vmt
93.86% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/props_gameplay/ball001_birthday.vmt
93.86% downloading ../orangebox/tf/materials/models/weapons/w_rocketlauncher/w_rocketlauncher01.vmt

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Materials' version 8

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Models' version 4

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Sounds' version 4

Updating 'OB Linux Dedicated Server' from version 50 to version 63

94.05% downloading ../orangebox/bin/crashhandler.so
94.19% downloading ../orangebox/bin/datacache.so
94.37% downloading ../orangebox/bin/dedicated.so
95.27% downloading ../orangebox/bin/engine.so
95.30% downloading ../orangebox/bin/libsteam_api.so
95.38% downloading ../orangebox/bin/libtier0.so
95.47% downloading ../orangebox/bin/libtier0_s.so
95.53% downloading ../orangebox/bin/libvstdlib.so
95.64% downloading ../orangebox/bin/libvstdlib_s.so
96.05% downloading ../orangebox/bin/materialsystem.so
96.07% downloading ../orangebox/bin/scenefilecache.so
96.10% downloading ../orangebox/bin/shaderapiempty.so
96.16% downloading ../orangebox/bin/soundemittersystem.so
98.89% downloading ../orangebox/bin/steamclient.so
99.45% downloading ../orangebox/bin/studiorender.so
100.00% downloading ../orangebox/bin/vphysics.so
100.00% downloading ../orangebox/srcds_run

Remy

One of the major fixes as part of the 100MB was something where server plugins now have to be signed by Valve unless the client is run in an unsecure mode.

But apparently it's glitchy, because I just got another 3.8MB download with 1 change...

Disabled signature checking to determine if it's the source of some reported launch issues

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Remy said:
One of the major fixes as part of the 100MB was something where server plugins now have to be signed by Valve unless the client is run in an unsecure mode.

But apparently it's glitchy, because I just got another 3.8MB download with 1 change...
GODDAMN I WANNA SNIPE THIS DOG

Thanks Gaf server for reminding me how fun TF2 can be with the right community. The banter was cool ( I dunno why but the excessive "nope" was hilarious) and there was good class balance except for 2fort all engie no sentries/medic/scout. I stopped playing TF2 months ago b/c I just got tired of Lotusclan pub server play so thanks for bringing me back. I was Birthday Suit Burns btw...

Drkirby said:
Good games tonight!

Someone insulted my voice though, its not that bad, is it :(

haha...it wasn't bad but your voice definitely stood out among the cacophony of chatter...The guy that was talking like an Elcor from Mass Effect stood out the most...

Having both sides on the same channel definitely threw me off though since not all the recon info applied...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I like it though, its far better to banter with your 'enemies', I like how it doesn't show you who is on which team also during the swap, so it tends to get mixed up.

Despite it not making a difference in the long run, I tend to always try to get on BLU Team, since I like attacking first

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Drkirby said:
Good games tonight!

Someone insulted my voice though, its not that bad, is it :(

Not at all. Its just sort of.... I don't know, nasally? and sticks out. Wasn't trying to insult you and I apologize.

Gully State said:
The guy that was talking like an Elcor from Mass Effect stood out the most...

Oh god that is the best comparison ever :lol :lol :lol

Yeef

Gully State said:
haha...it wasn't bad but your voice definitely stood out among the cacophony of chatter...The guy that was talking like an Elcor from Mass Effect stood out the most...
ludwig.gif

I want a hat. All I've got is the Ghastly Geebus, Cheater's Lament and the Alien from Alien Swarm. I wish I didn't delete weapons back before crafting was implimented (I even deleted weapons that I already acquired by accident but that was after crafting- wish the game wouldn't let you do that. It's a pain in the ass trying to earn back weapons without achievement milestones)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom