• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
making your hat is pretty satisfying at least. took me a few months but awhile ago i managed to make a proper demo had (afro) and it was glorious.

Boonoo

rac said:
I want a soldier hat bad, don't care which one at this point. About 17 more items and its mine.
http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197979993904

With trading coming so soon it would be a waste to spend the extra metal on a class specific. I would just craft as soon as possible, and then trade if you don't like the results. And even with class specific you might end up with something you don't like, and then you'll have wasted over 2 weeks worth of items for the same result.

rac

Banned
Boonoo said:
With trading coming so soon it would be a waste to spend the extra metal on a class specific. I would just craft as soon as possible, and then trade if you don't like the results. And even with class specific you might end up with something you don't like, and then you'll have wasted over 2 weeks worth of items for the same result.
It would be horrible if I ended up with a hatless though. If I was going to trade the safer option would be just to try and trade the 3 refined metal for a hat.

Boonoo

rac said:
It would be horrible if I ended up with a hatless though. If I was going to trade the safer option would be just to try and trade the 3 refined metal for a hat.

I think even a hatless would be pretty trade-able. There are tons of people going for every hat, or every hat for a particular class.

Even if you had to make a couple trades I doubt it would be hard to go from a hatless to a soldier hat. Hell, if I had something like the viking hat or kabuki I'd probably trade one of them for hatless engineer.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Boonoo said:

Precisely what happened to me. This was last year during the old system, I spectated in idle servers for over a month in order to get enough items to craft a soldier helmet. I really wanted the pot but was hoping for anything other than the Soldier's Stash, because it looks so much like the regular soldier helmet. Well you can guess what I ended up with. Maybe the biggest FUUUUUUUUUUUUU moment of my life.

Anyway my next craft isn't going to be class specific for exactly the reasons you stated. Though during my idle-fest I got 3 random drop sniper hats for some reason, so I've got the goods to trade. Not sure how I feel about doing business with snipers though, we'll see how it goes. If one of those criminals has a pot I don't now if I'll be able to resist.

(._.)

Banned
rac said:
I would wait to craft your three reclaimed metals until after polycount is out though. We don't know exactly how trading will work and what even exactly is going down so it is best to play it safe. You will also have a chance of getting one of the new hats that will be added making it easier to find a person to trade with.

That is what I am doing with my current three.

Yeef

(._.) said:
I would wait to craft your three reclaimed metals until after polycount is out though. We don't know exactly how trading will work and what even exactly is going down so it is best to play it safe. You will also have a chance of getting one of the new hats that will be added making it easier to find a person to trade with.

That is what I am doing with my current three.
I don't really care about hats too much (once I get my brain slug from trading I won't care at all!) and most other community weapons have specific blueprints (and easy), so I don't really see any reason to save up metal, personally.

(._.)

Banned
Yeef said:
I don't really care about hats too much (once I get my brain slug from trading I won't care at all!) and most other community weapons have specific blueprints (and easy), so I don't really see any reason to save up metal, personally.
Well the update is right around the corner supposedly so if he waits he will have a chance of crafting one of the new hats which will be in high demand for trading (so he can trade for a hat he wants). I really love the hats personally. I like little small cosmetic stuff in games that you have to work for.

Yasae

Banned
Borgnine said:
Precisely what happened to me. This was last year during the old system, I spectated in idle servers for over a month in order to get enough items to craft a soldier helmet. I really wanted the pot but was hoping for anything other than the Soldier's Stash, because it looks so much like the regular soldier helmet. Well you can guess what I ended up with. Maybe the biggest FUUUUUUUUUUUUU moment of my life.

Anyway my next craft isn't going to be class specific for exactly the reasons you stated. Though during my idle-fest I got 3 random drop sniper hats for some reason, so I've got the goods to trade. Not sure how I feel about doing business with snipers though, we'll see how it goes. If one of those criminals has a pot I don't now if I'll be able to resist.
I happened to get the stainless pot as a drop not too long ago.

I also stole the Green Destiny

Do you ever skip wearing hats because it makes you a more noticeable target? I had the Pyro "Brain Slug" for a while (before I crafted it with a Baseball Bill's Sports Shine during the Golden Wrench week, got a good Engineer hat out of it, so I don't regret it), and I quickly realized that it made stealth that much harder, since it stayed full-bright in dark areas, and was more likely to catch the enemy's eye since it jiggled around. On a similar note, a Soldier isn't too stealthy when you can see his "Max's Head" ears poking out from behind a crate.

I mean, I know we're all so pro here that we actually want the attention, in fact we plan around being the distraction, etc, etc. But do you have any hats you've put away not because you didn't like it or had a better one, but because it functionally made your life harder? I know Spies were regretting their choice of the Cheater's Lament for a while...

(._.)

Banned
Kulock said:
Do you ever skip wearing hats because it makes you a more noticeable target? I had the Pyro "Brain Slug" for a while (before I crafted it with a Baseball Bill's Sports Shine during the Golden Wrench week, got a good Engineer hat out of it, so I don't regret it), and I quickly realized that it made stealth that much harder, since it stayed full-bright in dark areas, and was more likely to catch the enemy's eye since it jiggled around. On a similar note, a Soldier isn't too stealthy when you can see his "Max's Head" ears poking out from behind a crate.

I mean, I know we're all so pro here that we actually want the attention, in fact we plan around being the distraction, etc, etc. But do you have any hats you've put away not because you didn't like it or had a better one, but because it functionally made your life harder? I know Spies were regretting their choice of the Cheater's Lament for a while...
I honestly don't think hats have affected much of the game play for any class except spy. I never even considered that some people put hats up because it affects the game for them, weird.

(._.) said:
I honestly don't think hats have affected much of the game play for any class except spy. I never even considered that some people put hats up because it affects the game for them, weird.

Yeah, I don't think it's a major effect, but it does obviously make you a more unique target (kind of the point), but some have a small effect on gameplay and stealth. And of course, there were the people who were skinning things like the Gibus or Spy hats to look like giant cars on their end so they could see people coming easier, but that's not exactly the point.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Zerokku said:
Do you only keep items you think are useful? I tend to want at least 1 of each item, though I need to clean up my inventory a bit.

I also don't think most of the hats make you more noticeable in spots people wouldn't spot you normally. What it does do is make it easier to tell two people of the same class apart, like you can usually tell its n0b due to it being a Heavy with Max's Severed Head, and its not like a heavy can be very stealthy anyway.

For a Pryo, I think I would want ether a Modest pile of hat, the Brigade helm, a Vintage merryweather, or to somehow get a Bill's hat. Anything else looks silly IMO.

The Attendant hat from Polycont also looks nice, but its not out yet. I wonder how it would look stacked with a Whiskered Gentleman, and if they would keep it as just a hat and not break the bowtie into a second item.

Borgnine

Kulock said:
Yeah, I don't think it's a major effect, but it does obviously make you a more unique target (kind of the point), but some have a small effect on gameplay and stealth.

I've definitely thought about this. I am a little worried that if I'm rolling around with a pot it'll make it that much easier for Artistdude to tell who I am, but really he already stabs me in the back the maximum amount of times possible anyway.

Yeef

Borgnine said:
I've definitely thought about this. I am a little worried that if I'm rolling around with a pot it'll make it that much easier for Artistdude to tell who I am, but really he already stabs me in the back the maximum amount of times possible anyway.
You think that now, but wait until you find out that The Eternal Reward lets spies go into the other teams spawn as long as they're disguised!

Javaman

Borgnine said:

Enemy spies can see your name before they stab you anyways.

Borgnine

Javaman said:
Enemy spies can see your name before they stab you anyways.

Well if they can read my name I'm as good as dead anyway. If Artist sees my pot glistening in the sun as I gracefully soar through the air from across the map, he's going to wait until I land and come for me. :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
hats actually make me better at spy checking, particularly if they're using a hat I know I'm wearing.

All this nonsense about names...I rarely target my own teammates to see their names since it often just flashes across the screen, but when I see my own hat on any class, I immediately attack.

edit: I'm afraid I may have turned Artistdude into the monster that he is...I was talking about forcing myself to use the original spah watch and told him the results. He tried it as well...and...he's one sneaky bastard.

corn_fest

You guys and all your hats :(
I only have the Modest Pile of Hat (random drop) and the Officer's Ushanka (crafted non-class specific). I keep at least 1 of every weapon, though, unlike some of you guys who apparently craft all your stuff.

edit: tf2items.com/id/corn_fest I like having the option to switch to a different weapon depending on how the round is going.

vanty

Did they do anything to the hat drop rate recently? About a month ago I got the soldier pot after having never got a random hat before, and in the past week have found the spy fedora and moments ago the engi ear protectors. Hopefully trading comes soon, those last couple are hats for my two least played classes.

Maybe I'm just weird, I had about a dozen direct hits before I got a single ubersaw.

Borgnine

(._.) said:
I just found that spy wig on the GAF server :D
2j3s6s1.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeef said:
You are banned until you get some hats!
You guys should be banned until you either donate some hats to me or free up space on the GAF servers whenever I try to get in D:

Firebrand

Should make some hats once the update hits. Got 5 refined metals and just about enough items for 2 more. Thought I'd do class-specific but I'll have to see how the trading thing works.

Yasae

Banned
enzo_gt said:
You guys should be banned until you either donate some hats to me or free up space on the GAF servers whenever I try to get in D:
You didn't even post the server IP upon starting a new page. Double-banned.

Boonoo

We're sitting in a waiting list. They initially wanted 160 or so teams and ended up with 960, so things are a little slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom