• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remy

Server has been resuscitated. Connected, MOTD was fine, used sourcemod to change maps...seems alright.

I'm heading up to Boston for PAX East in half an hour so pray that Valve doesn't patch anything tonight - although knowing how big patches go, they probably will.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
The Kunai is kinda disappointing going from that description. You just get a brief overheal if you stab one of the slower classes. I was hoping for a 300 HP Spy, but I guess that would mean ArtistDude would be invincible.
Still raging when I popped kritz and I saw him decloak and facestab me....

Remy said:
Server has been resuscitated. Connected, MOTD was fine, used sourcemod to change maps...seems alright.

I'm heading up to Boston for PAX East in half an hour so pray that Valve doesn't patch anything tonight - although knowing how big patches go, they probably will.
There's some major-minor problems they have to address, so there will almost guarenteed to be a patch tonight

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It doesn't seem like the new weapons have been given their own crafting recipe yet, people still haven't figured it out.

Forkball said:
The Kunai is kinda disappointing going from that description. You just get a brief overheal if you stab one of the slower classes. I was hoping for a 300 HP Spy, but I guess that would mean ArtistDude would be invincible.

LOL

I dunno, -65 health is pretty damn major... But if there would be a chance to get 300HP Spy, then hell yeah! UBER 300HP STABBING SPY BWHAHAHA!

Kuro Madoushi said:
Still raging when I popped kritz and I saw him decloak and facestab me....

I have no recollection of this! :U

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Drkirby said:
New knife is hard to use when there is a ton of demo spam. A single stray pipe can kill you.

I imagine it's best with L'Etranger and the Dead Ringer. You need a loadout with a survival focus.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
New knife is hard to use when there is a ton of demo spam. A single stray pipe can kill you.
Sandman (or not?) scout has been that way for a while, but I guess the spy is slow and even dies from the splash damage.

Bugs that need to be fixed (probably soonish)
- The 4 new hats are paintable, but paint doesn't show up
- Firing a rocket/grenade or detonating a sticky and quickly switching to the katana causes it to register the explosion kill as a katana kill.
- Unused katana kill icon for when a person OHKOs another Katana user
- Eyelander and HHHH don't collect heads anymore
- All Demoman two handed melee weapons are held with 1 hand
- New noise maker doesn't always work properly
- Crafting recipes weren't added yet
- Possibly making the Noh Mercy a misc item
- Actually fixing the blighted beak for real this time (it didn't do anything last night, the patch notes lied)
- Revenge crits don't work
- Overhealed Spies using the Kunai can't use health packs while on fire

And probably some others I'm forgetting

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
Sandman (or not?) scout has been that way for a while, but I guess the spy is slow and even dies from the splash damage.
Yep, the splash damage will kill you. Have 3 or 4 Demos guarding the last point of Dust Bowl? Your not getting though.

And probably some others I'm forgetting
Overhealed Kunai spy can't pick up Health Packs to put out fire.

I really do wonder what niche the weapon will fill. I am thinking Dead Ringer + L'Etranger would work best with it. Stab someone, shoot the near by enemies to recharge dead ringer faster, and use dead ringer once your get low on health.

At the very least, I don't think Cloak and Dagger and the kunai mix well.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Gloomfire said:
So, I'm contemplating getting the Orange Box on Steam this weekend, mainly for TF2. Would I be way out of my league at this point?

There is only one league: the fun league. Make your purchase.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Gloomfire said:
How often does GAF play? Every night?

It comes in streaks. The last week or 2 has been full pretty much every night. For a couple of months after the Christmas sale there were hardly any games. Before that it was packed for a few months straight. Before that there was only darkness.

Everything you need to know about Team Fortress 2 (a cute little video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-1f7HhMzc

kG46A.png

I finally got Parting Shot, thanks to a little medic that always stand still.

Edit: There's another update, no wonder the server I was playing shut down.

Smallish update, fixed some major problems.

I found it funny that instead of just making the Shogun hats have paint textures, they made them unpaintable. So you can have a painted, unpaintable hat xD

Team Fortress 2
- Fixed players not being able to fire their weapons immediately after spawning.
- Fixed the decapitation counters not being displayed for some weapons.
- Fixed the revenge crit label not being localized correctly.
- Fixed the Demoman not using the correct animations for some of his weapons.
- Fixed the new Shogun hats not being grayed out when paint is being used.
- Fixed players getting a health bonus based on the weapon they're currently holding instead of the weapon that dealt the killing blow.
- Updated Cp_Yukon
- Fixed a hole in the map.

No news about crafting recipes, but that may be found later, since Valve never mentions those.

Clydefrog said:
Aww, I never got to meet Montgomery.
Now I feel sad :( He might return one day!

On-topic, I wish there was a counter for your item cap per week. Or just get rid of the cap altogether because apparently I've already met my cap and now have to wait till Wednesday night for an item to drop. It just gives me less incentive to play unless there's a NeoGAF game going on. I love loot and finding stuff.

Heavy said:
Now I feel sad :( He might return one day!

On-topic, I wish there was a counter for your item cap per week. Or just get rid of the cap altogether because apparently I've already met my cap and now have to wait till Wednesday night for an item to drop. It just gives me less incentive to play unless there's a NeoGAF game going on. I love loot and finding stuff.
Me too, since on Wednesday I found like 7 items in 2 hours. I wish we knew what's the cap per week though.

Ceebs

Gloomfire said:
So, I'm contemplating getting the Orange Box on Steam this weekend, mainly for TF2. Would I be way out of my league at this point?
Do it. The game is honestly very easy to pick up the basics. Don't worry about being bad either. I have been playing since launch and I am still terrible at the game, yet I have tons of fun.

Dug

Banned
Clydefrog said:
Bwahaha, I haven't logged on since Tuesday night! I shall reap my items this weekend! CHRISTMAS AWAITS
I haven't logged in for atleast 4 weeks. I wonder how many items I'm going to get...

Dug said:
I haven't logged in for atleast 4 weeks. I wonder how many items I'm going to get...
I don't think it keeps rolling over like that. I know it rolls over the next week, but I doubt it's indefinite? Because I should have like hundreds of drops since I didn't play for months.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
New Beta Patch
--- March 11, 2011 ---

Maps:
-koth_badlands
. -Added support for offline practice
. -Fixed a case where players could easily fire into spawn
-cp_yukon
. -Fixed a hole in the map

General:
-Painted items are now more integrated with the game's lighting
-First-pass support for Paint in DX8
-Fixed a bug with health-on-kill weapons where players were gaining health if such a weapon was active, but did not cause the death.
-Replay:
. -Fixed ‘save all’ crash in replay browser
. -Fixed ‘save movies now, then quit’ crash
-Coaching:
. -The coach is now tethered to the student, so that they cannot get too far
. -Added the distance to student in coach GUI
. -Coach now has the same PVS as the student
. -When the student respawns, the coach warps back to student
. -Added an option to "like" coach by pressing F9.
-Training:
. -Fixed issues in Spy training
-Voting:
. -Tuning pass on CallVote cooldowns/timers:
. -Increased the cooldown before a player can call another vote
. -Increased the cooldown before a failed vote can be resubmitted
. -The CallVote screen now hides issues the server has disabled
. -Increased the percentage of players required to pass a vote
. -Kick issue: the player calling the vote no longer appears as an option in the Kick issue parameters list
. -Temporarily disabled Kick and Changelevel
. -Enabled nextlevel_choicesmode by default (to test it)
. -The server will automatically ask players to select the nextlevel shortly before the current map is over

Ceebs

What is the deal with the coaching stuff. Have not really been paying attention to it. Is TF2 going to be the testbed for the coaching stuff they were talking about with DOTA?

Forkball

It's a bit strange how some stuff goes to beta but other goes directly into the game. When are the detonator and quick fix going to find their way into the actual game? What about the other weapon buffs/nerfs? Meanwhile we randomly got four new items yesterday.

TF2 Designer #1: So, what are we working on now?
TF2 Designer #2: Well we have a new flare gun that gives the Pyro more mobility, which is something that people have wanted for a long time. Oh, also we gave the Sydney Sleeper a charge buff so it's not completely useless and people who prefer to body shot will find it very useful.
TF2 Designer #1: Eh... throw it in the beta and see how it works. What else?
TF2 Designer #2: Well we were kinda dicking around with a Demo samurai sword, but we're tired of making Demo melee weapons so we...
TF2 Designer #1: PUT THAT IN THE GAME IMMEDIATELY.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I do find it a bit odd, though you could argue it would ruin the surprise :D

Maybe the effects were already tested for balance in the past before beta was public.

Edit: You dun goofed Artist, the Server isn't live!

Blizzard

Banned
Shambles said:
I'm trying to connect to the GAF server but it's saying the server version is too old. Is it just me having this problem?
I'm busy trying to break the server again, stand by.

*edit* I claim I almost had it, but Yeef dropped in to finish the job!

Kunai is seriously hard to use, I did all my spying with it and there isn't much reason to pick it over the normal knife unless you are a pro spy who gets kills really fast, which I'm not.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
Kunai is seriously hard to use, I did all my spying with it and there isn't much reason to pick it over the normal knife unless you are a pro spy who gets kills really fast, which I'm not.
It doesn't help that your ping was like 300 all night. Did you forget to close utorrent or something?

Instro

Sgt.Pepper said:

Its hard to see it being that useful really, the loss of health too much of a liability.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Forkball said:
TF2 Designer #2: Well we have a new flare gun that gives the Pyro more mobility, which is something that people have wanted for a long time. Oh, also we gave the Sydney Sleeper a charge buff so it's not completely useless and people who prefer to body shot will find it very useful.

The last thing the Sydney Sleeper needs is a buff.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Curses, had to decide if I wanted to make a class specific hat in hopes of getting that new spy mask or just trading my 4 refine for 2 hats. I went with the 2 hats instead. Really don't trust the random crafting/crate system at all. I'd hate it if I crated a camera beard or something like that.

That new sword is awesome and annoying at the same time though. Hope I can get the spy and scout one to drop for me next.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EatChildren said:
The last thing the Sydney Sleeper needs is a buff.
I think the faster charge time is a good idea, it makes it a much more viable weapon. I wish they would drop the "50% charge to Jaratee" though, I would much rather just lot uncharged shots fly if I could cause Jaratee for a second. Also wish I could put out team mates with the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom