• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having the best luck tonight uncrating unusuals...

On the Crate Sim App ._.

(It really hurts too when you have that brief moment of "OMG Searing Flames Fez that's worth so m- oh right fake.")

I've also got a Burning Scotch Bonnet, a Haunted Chieftain's Challenge (or one of those two headdress hats), one or two others I can't remember, and a Logo Croc Hat... as the next key immediately after my last unusual.

Sim App, couldn't you be real tonight? T_T

Javaman

dragonlife29 said:
Sure, I'll give you two reclaimed, Yeef. Thanks! I like Ubering Pyros because they're fast and deadly, especially on Engineer buildings (we got quite a few). Plus, I'm used to you and trust you, so there's that, too. It helps that you let me know when to hit it, too (I laughed so hard when that crit rocket got you when the round started).

Same goes for Borgnine. I've Ubered you before, I think, and you're a damn good Soldier. Plus, as Medic, you get to see how your teammates act and make decisions from that on who to Uber (when not in a pinch).

And I like to heal everyone when I can. I feel so guilty when someone's calling me but it won't heal them for some reason (input lag?) and then they die.

EDIT: That map looks awesome, too :eek:
Yeah, it's a definite plus to heal other players. Not only does it help your team more, you'll charge your uber much faster. You get more based on how hurt (and how long) they are. The longer they've been hurt the faster you heal them. I constantly scan people to see who is hurt most and try to get them healed up before overhealing or focusing on someone. It gets pretty hard at choke points though where lots of people are taking lots of damage. Are you using the blutslauger? Even with the recent nerf it greatly increases your survivability when running. Combined with knowing the ma9p well enough to run backwards shooting at the guy chasing you, you can survive quite a few encounters.

Just a tip for guys jumping around waiting to be healed... move away from the crowd. If you're on fire and about to die it makes it hard to click on you when you're surrounded and jumping around.

Javaman said:
Yeah, it's a definite plus to heal other players. Not only does it help your team more, you'll charge your uber much faster. You get more based on how hurt (and how long) they are. The longer they've been hurt the faster you heal them. I constantly scan people to see who is hurt most and try to get them healed up before overhealing or focusing on someone. It gets pretty hard at choke points though where lots of people are taking lots of damage. Are you using the blutslauger? Even with the recent nerf it greatly increases your survivability when running. Combined with knowing the ma9p well enough to run backwards shooting at the guy chasing you, you can survive quite a few encounters.

Just a tip for guys jumping around waiting to be healed... move away from the crowd. If you're on fire and about to die it makes it hard to click on you when you're surrounded and jumping around.
I didn't know you got more Uber or that they were healed faster depending on how long they've been hurt. That's cool, and it explains some things. I don't overheal a single person if there are more that need help, either; I just hope the others are patient enough and let me heal the guy I'm focusing enough to hop on to someone new.

Yeah, I'm using the Blutsauger. It's proven to be very useful for me...when I can actually aim the damn thing. I still need to get used to the curvy trajectory, though. I also use the Vita-Saw. I don't remember how fast 20% fills up without it, but I use it because it lets me retain 20% of the Uber, and I really like that. In combat I don't utilize it much, though. I suck at alternating weapons (read: hitting "3"). I tried doing it in real-time situations and it got me killed :p I just stood in front of the enemy, trying to switch, and then BAM. Dead because I took too long.

And I feel your pain. It's very hard to pick out one teammate from a crowd. All you see sometimes is a flash of red and think, "Oh, crap, someone needs to be healed...but where is he!"

commissar

Clydefrog said:
Yes, I vote keep random crits ON. I play huntsman sniper 90% of the time so I almost never get to benefit from crits... but it's a part of the game!
lies! 90% of your kukri hits are crits D:!

speculawyer said:
Yeah, they help people who can't get several shots on target in a row with a chance of killing someone
lol. And they help those who can hit too :)
It's random, not a weighted handicap system.
You don't see how crits enable casual play and discourage a competitive mindset?

I dunno I never really found gafserve to be particularly srs, and I'm not sure it would benefit from such a culture.
There's heaps of pugs out there :)

Instro

speculawyer said:
Yeah, they help people who can't get several shots on target in a row with a chance of killing someone.

I guess, but since crit chance increases as you do damage it also encourages better players to continue engaging the enemy even if they are outnumbered or low on health. It seems to me that the people getting the most benefit out of criticals are the better players anyway.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sgt.Pepper said:
Gotta practice those rocket jumps. Maybe I'll log in one of those rocket/sticky jumping servers.
If you have the Rocket Jumper/Stickey Jumper (You can do the slot crafting for a chance to get them), just host your own server and play around with them.

"Billions and billions of Spies."

Edit: Grrr, DrKirby! Besides, he may actually want to play the challenge maps they have available, and the mods that automatically replace health and such, better for practicing.

Also, it took me way too many tries to craft a Sticky Jumper. I got a LOT of Scottish Resistances and Chargin' Targes in the process, which went right back into the crafting mix.

Drkirby said:
If you have the Rocket Jumper/Stickey Jumper (You can do the slot crafting for a chance to get them), just host your own server and play around with them.

No need for those.

Just go download an RJ map like rj_rocketeer. Paste the map into the right folder. Boot TF2, then type: map rj_rocketeer.

Once you're in, type sv_cheat 1.
Then type hurtme -99999.

Just take note that the nearly all the jumps you'll do in RJ maps like the one mentioned aren't practical for actual fights. There's really no use for successive vertical wall RJs for example.

Yeef

dragonlife29 said:
Yeah, I'm using the Blutsauger. It's proven to be very useful for me...when I can actually aim the damn thing. I still need to get used to the curvy trajectory, though.
Keep in mind that projectile weapons (Syringe Gun, Rocket Launcher, Flamethrower, etc.), unlike hitscan weapons, aren't lag compensated so you have to lead your shots based on your ping, because even though your enemy might look like he's standing in one spot on your end for the server he's probably a few steps away.

It's most noticeable, for me, when trying to set a Scout on fire. They can just walk right through your flames without a care sometimes.

Can your server blacklist only block a certain amount of servers? I feel like every time I blacklist 10 achievement or nighteam servers, 10 more pop up.

*Edit: Also, why do my filters never stay? I have to type in the Do Not Include: every time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Clydefrog said:
If you want a really fun, pretty, outdoorsy map, try pl_swiftwater. I've just played cashworks too much these days...

http://i.imgur.com/tlGLS.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I can second this, Swiftwater is a lot of fun. I'd love to see it in the GAF rotation.

Oreoleo

Yeef said:
Keep in mind that projectile weapons (Syringe Gun, Rocket Launcher, Flamethrower, etc.), unlike hitscan weapons, aren't lag compensated so you have to lead your shots based on your ping, because even though your enemy might look like he's standing in one spot on your end for the server he's probably a few steps away.

It's most noticeable, for me, when trying to set a Scout on fire. They can just walk right through your flames without a care sometimes.
Hah, I didn't know that about the flamethrower. Just like you mentioned, there have been times i've seen scouts go right through my flame and not catch fire and thought it was such BS. I guess now I know why.

Hey guys I've been playing on y'all server for a while now mostly under the name of Carl Sagan , just got activated so i thought i'd drop by & say hi as i'm the one thats making your gaming experience kind of janky :).

desh

Yeef said:

And this is why I hate client-side prediction networking code.

Ceebs

I am so close to just deleting TF2 and reinstalling the whole damn thing hoping it will fix these crash issues.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ceebs said:
I am so close to just deleting TF2 and reinstalling the whole damn thing hoping it will fix these crash issues.
Unless your internet sucks, just do it. No harm.

You have done a Verify on the game files, right?

Ceebs

Drkirby said:
Unless your internet sucks, just do it. No harm.

You have done a Verify on the game files, right?
My internet is awful. It would take probably 10 hours to re-download the whole thing.

Clydefrog

Yeah, my crappy AT&T U-Verse wireless router barely reaches my bedroom. My max download rate from Steam is about 350kb/s. At least I get good ping in servers.

Ceebs

Clydefrog said:
Yeah, my crappy AT&T U-Verse wireless router barely reaches my bedroom. My max download rate from Steam is about 350kb/s. At least I get good ping in servers.
Sounds about like my AT&T but I max out at like 300kb/s.

I did manage to get a Big Chief today from a trade. Best Heavy hat in the game imo.

Oreoleo

I used to be like you guys, on AT&T DSL, living the high life of 300KBps down.

But in reality having DSL is like living in North Korea. It's not so bad only because you aren't completely aware of how much better everyone else has it.

Switching to cable and getting 3MBps down for the first time was jaw-dropping. If it's within your means I highly recommend it.

Blizzard

Banned
Orellio said:

But in reality having DSL is like living in North Korea. It's not so bad only because you aren't completely aware of how much better everyone else has it.

Switching to cable and getting 3MBps down for the first time was jaw-dropping. If it's within your means I highly recommend it.
3MBps or 3Mbps? I think I have 9 megabit cable, but that's only just over 1 MB/second. QQ

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
3MBps or 3Mbps? I think I have 9 megabit cable, but that's only just over 1 MB/second. QQ

I don't deal with bits, that just causes confusion for people and more often than not is used to be intentionally misleading by ISPs.

I have RoadRunner with TurboBoost so for like 30 seconds downloads will go up to 2.8-3.0MB and then settle down to 1.9-2.4MB or so for the remainder of the download.

I usually only get 1MB or so on Steam, no matter where I'm downloading from.

Yeef said:

When I play Scout sometimes I get hit by the flamethrower even though it's clearly I'm outside his range. It pisses me off sometimes.

Baha said:
I like that Teddy and Professor's Peculiarity. Reggaelator must be for demoman.

Nikolai13 said:
Global Agenda is going free to play! Sorry, I know a few of my janky-*** friends play

Whoa! Well then! If anyone's interested in Elite Agent status for $10 when the free patch goes live, let me know. I have half off promo codes still!

Ceebs

Orellio said:

Sadly my options are either keep the crappy DSL or overpay for Comcast since I am not giving up my DirecTV.

I really like that Charmer's Chapeau hat.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Sgt.Pepper said:
When I play Scout sometimes I get hit by the flamethrower even though it's clearly I'm outside his range. It pisses me off sometimes.

I like that Teddy and Professor's Peculiarity. Reggaelator must be for demoman.

I would maybe pay an embarrassing amount for Teddy Roosebelt. Depends how it is in-game, but it's so cute :D

...And the deerstalker is a Spy hat, not a Sniper hat? Sadface :(

Oreoleo

Ceebs said:
Sadly my options are either keep the crappy DSL or overpay for Comcast since I am not giving up my DirecTV.

I really like that Charmer's Chapeau hat.

That's a compromise I can understand. We had Dish Network for like a decade and finally had to say enough is enough when practically everyone around here was on Time Warner with HD/DVR/On Demand for less than we were paying for SD satellite. It was kinda bullshit, but things are better now :)

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I'm thinking Sight For Sore Eyes will be terrifying. Also Big Country might just be the all time greatest hat, only time will tell.

Ceebs

Borgnine said:
I'm thinking Sight For Sore Eyes will be terrifying. Also Big Country might just be the all time greatest hat, only time will tell.
I can't tell if it will look like a mullet or just long hair. If the former it will be amazing.

Also I just saw the posts about Swiftwater. That map looks really cool. We should give it a try sometime.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
An old picture of the teddy beer
tumblr_le2zz7GikX1qdrfdro1_500.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Could be, I don't like the logo though.

Also, the Mann Co store looks like it is updated, it is showing "Unknowns" now and no Japan Bundle (Still have like 7 noise makers though)

Oreoleo

Sgt.Pepper said:
Edit: I've gotten a lot repeated weapons, I think I'll craft some refined...

This is really annoying. It seems like 90% of the time my drops are the same 6-8 items. KGB, buff banner, buff banner, kritzkrieg, backburner, KGB, sandman, backburner, buff banner, kritzkrieg etc etc I can't stand it.

Orellio said:
This is really annoying. It seems like 90% of the time my drops are the same 6-8 items. KGB, buff banner, buff banner, kritzkrieg, backburner, KGB, sandman, backburner, buff banner, kritzkrieg etc etc I can't stand it.
I just melt like 8 KGB lol. Especially annoying since Heavy is my less played class.

Forkball

People are also reporting new crates, here are the contents according to the Wiki.

Crate 16:

Indubitably Green -% 17%
Color No. 216-190-216 -% 17%
Muskelmannbraun -% 17%
The Shortstop -% 14.5%
Mad Milk -% 14.5%
The Milkman -% 6.33%
Flipped Trilby -% 6.33%
Whoopee Cap -% 6.33%
Or an Exceedingly Rare Special Item!

Crate 17:

Zephaniah's Greed -% 17%