• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Orellio said:
Servers show for me just fine.
The item server. Try to open your backpack, or goto the Mann Co. Store.

(Actually, don't goto the Mann Co store, it takes pretty long to time out)

Yeef

I made some changes to the server today. Nothing huge, but I figured you guy would want to know anyway.

• Changed Arena from 5 rounds to 6. Apparently, arena matches are best out of 3 (which I hadn't noticed), so having it set to five rounds meant that it could end in the middle of a 'match.' I don't think the time difference between 5 and 6 rounds is big enough to annoy anyone too much.
  • Changed the map time limit for arena to 15 minutes. At 6 rounds that's a 2.5 minutes per round. More than enough time usually.
  • Got rid of the option to extend the map during votes and added a 7th map choice instead.
  • Increased the blocked maps from 3 to 4. Basically, a map we've played in the last 4 rounds (they can't be nominated either). It was originally 5, but I dropped it down to 3, but now with nightfall, lakeside and frontier as official maps I think we can get a bit more variety in the votes even if there are no nominations.
  • Added a crapload of custom maps to the server, listed below. As always, custom maps won't come up in the rotation or voting unless someone nominates them. Just type "nominate" in chat before the mid-game vote or before a rock the vote starts and the map you nominate will be an option. Maps should auto download, but if they don't for some reason you can always grab the maps directly at http://tf2.alliedbiscuit.net/tf/maps/.
    • arena_hardhat_b2a
    • arena_waste_final
    • cp_furnace_rc
    • cp_glacier_rc6
    • cp_obscure_final
    • cp_vector_v1
    • ctf_atrophy_b4
    • ctf_cloudburst_b4
    • ctf_converge_b2
    • ctf_deliverance_b3
    • ctf_fusion_b2
    • ctf_haarp_test7b
    • ctf_landfall_rc
    • ctf_mercy
    • ctf_overlook_b1
    • ctf_premuda_b1b
    • ctf_slate_b2
    • ctf_snowdrift_b4a
    • ctf_stockpile_b2
    • ctf_wildfire_rc
    • ctf_wiretap_b1
    • koth_moonshine_rc
    • pl_boundary_final
    • pl_cranetop_b8
    • pl_swiftwater
    • pl_waste_v2
    • plr_animus_a8
    • plr_cornfield_c1
    • plr_highwind_a5
    • plr_rollout_a3
    • plr_scoville_c2
    • plr_solitude_b1
    • tc_meridian_rc3

I'll post some info about the maps there that I thought were interesting in the next post.

Oreoleo

Drkirby said:
The item server. Try to open your backpack, or goto the Mann Co. Store.

(Actually, don't goto the Mann Co store, it takes pretty long to time out)

Nope. Maybe in the time it took me to reply they fixed it but the Store and my backpack loaded just fine.

[*]Increased the blocked maps from 3 to 4. Basically, a map we've played in the last 4 rounds (they can't be nominated either). It was originally 5, but I dropped it down to 3, but now with nightfall, lakeside and frontier as official maps I think we can get a bit more variety in the votes even if there are no nominations.
This is cool. A week or so ago I ended up playing something like Hoodoo twice in an hour and a half cause we played an arena map real quick and then rtv'd the next map etc..

I wish people would be more proactive about nominating maps, myself included.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Orellio said:
Nope. Maybe in the time it took me to reply they fixed it but the Store and my backpack loaded just fine.
Yeah, it went back on just a few minutes ago. Was down for about 30 minute.

Yeef

Furnace and Glacier are both Gravelpit types (A+B open, C locked), but unlike gravelpit and broma all points are fairly well balanced as far as defending is concerned. Glacier is a really nice looking map to boot.

Vector is an Attack/Defend map like dustbowl, but with much better level design. Instead of just being a long corridor there's lots of different nooks and routes to find.

Atrophy is a weird CTF map. Rather than the intel being in your base it's on a cart. Both carts roll slowly toward the center. If an intel is taken from a cart the cart stops in its tracks. Once the intel is capped the cart goes backward to the base to get another intel. It's an interesting idea that prevents intel camping, but I'm not sure how practical it is in a real game.

Converge and Deliverance are both single-intel CTF maps. There's just one, team-neutral intel. To cap it you have to grab it and take it into the enemy's base rather than your own. It seems like an interesting mechanic. The intel also respawns very quickly when dropped.

HAARP, Permuda, Slate, Snowdrift are all CTF A/D maps. It works just as it sounds. The intel spawns near blue spawn and they have to carry it to the points to capture them. On HAARP, the intel always spawns at blue spawn, on the others it spawns on the last point that was captured. On Permuda the intel heals whoever is carrying it at the rate of a level 2 dispenser. And on Snowdrift the ammo and health pickups have Gift, hot chocolate, Milk and Cookies, and Roasted turkey skins.

Cranetop is a regular PL map, except that in order to put the cart on the track blue has to first capture a control point at the top of a very high crane.

Waste was mentioned here a few weeks back. Basically it's a 5cp map, but with a cart instead of control points.

Highwind is a PLR map, but when the cart reaches the point it doesn't end the round, it explodes immediately and respawns a the beginning of the track. The first team to get three explosions wins the round.

And finally, Meridian is everyone's favorite mode, total control, but instead of capping points it's ctf. Unlike hydro you do get about 20 seconds of setup time during normal rounds and 1 minute of setup time if you're on the last cap. It's a very pretty map with a submarine, a giant robot and some other cool-looking things.

Ceebs

Sweet new maps! Time to start downloading them now >_>

These maps sound pretty neat. Giant Robots are always swell.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Was this point A or B? I thought it was B from the preview (Which is why I put "The B Team"), but I think it may of been A. I felt it looked cool.

95FBB718DAA2B1B80EF1E1932BE706FD01BA9976

Weenerz

Banned
Any GAFers up for a little in-game trade? I have both Rift Weapons, Homefront Preorder bonus and the Potato Hat, I am interested in getting the Earbuds, Max's Severed Head and a Lugermorph.

Yeef said:
Atrophy is a weird CTF map. Rather than the intel being in your base it's on a cart. Both carts roll slowly toward the center. If an intel is taken from a cart the cart stops in its tracks. Once the intel is capped the cart goes backward to the base to get another intel. It's an interesting idea that prevents intel camping, but I'm not sure how practical it is in a real game.

Oh, I've played that map. It's based on the ending of Frontier (mirrored for fairness) right? I really like the idea, it basically forces something to happen.

Cranetop's not bad too, I seem to remember but there are several big chokepoints, and the map basically forces the attacking team to camp spawn at the end, way more than usual.

Ceebs

Really liked some of those new maps, Glacier especially. Meridian is a fantastic looking map but not sure about the actual map. Are there any Payload maps using that sort of jungle theme?

Forkball

Interesting maps tonight. Here are some of my thoughts:

CP_Glacier: Gravelpit is one of my favorite maps and there need to be more with this style. This map has a cool aesthetic and a good layout. Point C is kind of a clusterfuck though, I'm not sure how you're supposed to defend that.

PL_Deadwood: It was amusing how both teams got stuck at the exact same point. I enjoyed what I saw of this map, there are a lot of pathways to get behind enemy lines. I suppose BLU is supposed to take the house in the upper era and launch an attack from there, but nobody built up there. Really fun and intense though.

CP_Vector: Vector was the first one, right? With the different stages? This map had it's ups and downs, some points seemed to be a bit easy to cap. When I was on RED we had a good stand on that one point, that was pretty fun and I got some good shots in as Huntsman Sniper.

CP_Terminator eye thing at the end: I didn't really like this map. It seemed very narrow and there's like no metal on the map at all. Plus the first point seems too easy to cap.

PLR_2fort: lol. Interesting concept though, and the teles that go straight into the enemy base is a pretty novel idea.

TC_Meridian: I had to leave right as we got here, but that robot looked pretty cool.

So an interesting mix of maps tonight. I'd like to see Glacier more often and maybe Deadwood just to see if anyone can get past that second point.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
0075A20CD385D21A4B8DA738E76E45B4BD442F05

This map was fun. That 2nd point was killer though. I for sure thought that we were going to capture it on several occasions.

Weenerz said:
Is there GAF events during the weekend? I wish to partake in these adventures.

Everyday is GAF TF2 day!

Buuut, Saturdays are kinda iffy. If the server does get going it's not till late.
Sundays are good usually :D

Yeef

I thought that was a hatless. It's hard to tell from that shot.

Anyway, I remember now that nob was playing spy that round and dog was running around at spawn as a scout, so yeah, it was him.

n0b said:
also thats a sandman
Obviously, you guys have better eyes than me, because I can't tell that at all.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Yeef said:
I thought that was a hatless. It's hard to tell from that shot.

Anyway, I remember now that nob was playing spy that round and dog was running around at spawn as a scout, so yeah, it was him.

Obviously, you guys have better eyes than me, because I can't tell that at all.

I could tell the sandman, but the hat, no clue. I'm with you Yeef, my eyes are not nearly that good either. I thought it might've been you since you are a Scout maniac, but it might've been Dog.

Was it just me or were the rounds/teams relatively even last night? At least in the games that I was a part of, I felt like there really weren't any steamrolls unless my memory is betraying me.

Yeef

Nikolai13 said:
I could tell the sandman, but the hat, no clue. I'm with you Yeef, my eyes are not nearly that good either. I thought it might've been you since you are a Scout maniac, but it might've been Dog.

Was it just me or were the rounds/teams relatively even last night? At least in the games that I was a part of, I felt like there really weren't any steamrolls unless my memory is betraying me.
Yeah, but I think the main reason for that was because we were playing maps no one had ever played before.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
n0b said:
also thats a sandman
Didn't even bother to look at the bat.

Yeef, Sandman is brown, the normal Bat is Metal (Which breaks TF2 style, Metal Bats weren't in around in the 50's! TF2 ruined for ever from day one!!!1)

Ceebs

Either playing with you guys has made me way better at this game or the players in the pub game I just played were awful.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ceebs said:
Either playing with you guys has made me way better at this game or the players in the pub game I just played were awful.
I am going with a mix of both. GAFs TF2 players are fairly good, not the worlds best or anything but they are much better then the normal group in public servers. I can just dick around on public servers and end up number on the team AND actually accomplish the maps objective. "Don't mind me, the guy pushing the cart"

That reminds me, on one of those custom maps last night I was sure I was dead because I ended up in the middle of like 5 people, so I was running around like a mad man shooting my flames expecting to be blown up a second later. Next thing I know, after going though a tunnel I found Nikolai and some one else on my team showed up, and I actually was able to retreat with about 10 HP left.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Ceebs said:

It must have been my awesome healing/Crits :D
JK

This server is full of good/great players. The only way to get better is to play against people better than you, but more importantly, have fun while doing it. AKA, while you die a lot

Instro

Ceebs said:

The GAF server is generally really good in terms of skill, even when people arnt playing seriously the players are better than what you'll find on a lot of other pubs.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Drkirby said:
I am going with a mix of both. GAFs TF2 players are fairly good, not the worlds best or anything but they are much better then the normal group in public servers. I can just dick around on public servers and end up number on the team AND actually accomplish the maps objective. "Don't mind me, the guy pushing the cart"

That reminds me, on one of those custom maps last night I was sure I was dead because I ended up in the middle of like 5 people, so I was running around like a mad man shooting my flames expecting to be blown up a second later. Next thing I know, after going though a tunnel I found Nikolai and some one else on my team showed up, and I actually was able to retreat with about 10 HP left.

Dr. Kirby found me :D Yeah, I apologize for my crappy healing last night. I could not for the life of me hit my targets, gah. so frustrating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom