• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ceebs said:
XD

That a 2nd copy of the game from one of those super deals?
I was able to get some copies of TF2 for under $3, cheaper to buy anther account then more backpack spaces.

Shortcut to steam:
-applaunch 440 -console -textmode -novid -nosound -nopreload -nojoy -noshader +OpenTrainingDialog

Whoo low consumption idling in training.

Really wish I got extra copies of TF2 for $2.50. I don't think Valve will do that ever again.

Ceebs

Wolf Akela said:
Shortcut to steam:
-applaunch 440 -console -textmode -novid -nosound -nopreload -nojoy -noshader +OpenTrainingDialog

Whoo low consumption idling in training.

Really wish I got extra copies of TF2 for $2.50. I don't think Valve will do that ever again.
Textmode idling is the way to go.

yeoz

Drkirby said:
I was able to get some copies of TF2 for under $3, cheaper to buy anther account then more backpack spaces.
Yeah, I picked up some of those cheap idler accounts too. I have 170 crates total across my eight idler accounts......
I'm not going to bother linking to their backpacks, but, here's a random screenshot from vsphere...
idlers.png

I can't wait for the next free weekend too, because I have a feeling that those guest accounts will have drops enabled (like current three-day guest passes do).
I'm set up to idle on up to 100 accounts in a single weekend, if only I had access to that many copies of TF2...

The_Technomancer said:
I actually managed to hit him with the flare gun on Frontier last night and he died like twenty seconds later from the afterburn. I was like "...really?"

Last night? what server? the only map I played on the gaf server last night was cp_george
then the server changed to a custom map and I left.

Yeef said:
The trick to killing Wartime is to play the instant kill classes. Spy and Sniper are his only weaknesses (assuming he's playing Demo).
Baha said:
I've killed him using scout, but I was like a squirrel so that helped.

Yeah, pretty much, I suck at demo vs. scout or spy, and if you go sniper and kill me, I will almost always go sniper to countersnipe.

Ceebs

opticalmace said:
Is it true you can idle in that training mode? I thought you had to be on a server...

Please let me know thanks. :)
Just make a new shortcut on your desktop that points to Steam and add the commands that Wolf Akela posted in the target field. When you are ready to idle just click the shortcut and a command prompt looking window will pop up. Leave that open overnight/whatever and when you play again all your items should be waiting in the New Messages slot.

desh

Clydefrog said:
*comfort* You're better than Borgnine

(what name do you use?)

MUJU

I haven't been on in a while. I was going to start playing again after Easter, but Portal 2, might get in the way of that.

gotee12

yeoz said:
You shouldn't bother with my (frankly absurd) setup, but, something like sandboxie might work for you.
Somewhat-free semi-application virtualization. Awesome! How have I never heard of Sandboxie before?

And running vSphere is impressive! That's expensive software! ;)

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Yeef said:
Artistdude is a much better scout than I.

For soldier: Doug Welder, Wartime and Borgnine are all about equal.

Blizzard is a pretty good Heavy, though I don't think anyone can top nob Heavy.

Yeah, we already had Artist D00D pegged as our master spy. Alright then, would you rather have Artist as a scout or spy? And based on that selection, who would be an alternate for whichever position you choose

Yeef

I've decided to get rid of auto scramble. I thought it was working well, but I just spent what was probably way more time than I should have crunching some numbers. As it turns out that since implementing pre-scramble there's been more imbalance than without it.

desh said:
MUJU

I haven't been on in a while. I was going to start playing again after Easter, but Portal 2, might get in the way of that.
Psh. Obviously people that don't play often don't count, otherwise Boonoo, Silencer, LeMeiuller and lots of other people would be taking the 'best' titles.''

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Yeef said:
I've decided to get rid of auto scramble. I thought it was working well, but I just spent what was probably way more time than I should have crunching some numbers. As it turns out that since implementing pre-scramble there's been more imbalance than without it.

Psh. Obviously people that don't play often don't count, otherwise Boonoo, Silencer, LeMeiuller and lots of other people would be taking the 'best' titles.''

Without a doubt. I wasn't trying to prejudice against people that would be undoubtedly better, but I'll be honest, I haven't really played with any of those 3 in particular often. I do remember Silencer being nasty though

desh

Yeef said:
I gave up TF2 for lent, so i'll be back after Easter.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Grimm Fandango said:
I'm going to try to become #1 Pyro then. I know I was dominating quite a few of you on Friday or Saturday ;)
Good luck. Pyro is a difficult class to play, since so many classes can easily counter you. Demo Men and Solders have range (And Airblast is damn hard), Heavy's DPS is enough to kill at a distance you can do some damage if they have their gun spun up, Sentries are nearly unkillable, the Medic can outrun you and if they have a Blutsauger easily kill you faster then you can kill them, and you can only do decent damage on a Scout when they get close (Which they will do more damage to you then them)

The a 1 on 1 Pyro fight isn't to bad, but it is a bit unpredictable who will win without any support. The Snipper and Spy tend to be the two easiest classes to take out, but the Snipper obviously requires you to get close to him.

The Pyro can change how well he can deal with other classes with changes to his load outs though. The Heavy and Scout will be easier to take out with the backburner, but you will lose your air blast to help with Solders and Demo Men, and to help the team out with suppressing ubers and putting out fires. The Degreaser with the full set can make taking out the Medic an easier matter, along with staying on any enemy with the flame thrower, but in some ways it makes scouts harder to take out due to the lower after burn (And them being one of the more susceptible classes to after burn), Snippers will be more likely to take you out, and you will just plainly take more bullet damage. Without the full set, you loose your ability to stay on people, but will be able to make use of the Axtinguisher easier, and pull out the shotgun faster.

The Homewrecker is a useful thing to carry around if you notice spies start becoming a problem and you are defending more then attacking, since it can take off Sappers, but the weapon is really poor against people. Also good against Mini-sentry engineers, since it can take out those guns with a single swing.

(._.)

Banned
Drkirby said:
Good luck. Pyro is a difficult class to play, since so many classes can easily counter you. Demo Men and Solders have range (And Airblast is damn hard), Heavy's DPS is enough to kill at a distance you can do some damage if they have their gun spun up, Sentries are nearly unkillable, the Medic can outrun you and if they have a Blutsauger easily kill you faster then you can kill them, and you can only do decent damage on a Scout when they get close (Which they will do more damage to you then them)

The a 1 on 1 Pyro fight isn't to bad, but it is a bit unpredictable who will win without any support. The Snipper and Spy tend to be the two easiest classes to take out, but the Snipper obviously requires you to get close to him.

The Pyro can change how well he can deal with other classes with changes to his load outs though. The Heavy and Scout will be easier to take out with the backburner, but you will lose your air blast to help with Solders and Demo Men, and to help the team out with suppressing ubers and putting out fires. The Degreaser with the full set can make taking out the Medic an easier matter, along with staying on any enemy with the flame thrower, but in some ways it makes scouts harder to take out due to the lower after burn (And them being one of the more susceptible classes to after burn), Snippers will be more likely to take you out, and you will just plainly take more bullet damage. Without the full set, you loose your ability to stay on people, but will be able to make use of the Axtinguisher easier, and pull out the shotgun faster.

The Homewrecker is a useful thing to carry around if you notice spies start becoming a problem and you are defending more then attacking, since it can take off Sappers, but the weapon is really poor against people. Also good against Mini-sentry engineers, since it can take out those guns with a single swing.

~_~

Crushed has pretty damn good timing with the airblast, I always have to use the shotgun on him.

I also kind of hate pyros since airblasting you against a wall doesn't let you do a damn thing.

yeoz

gotee12 said:
Somewhat-free semi-application virtualization. Awesome! How have I never heard of Sandboxie before?

And running vSphere is impressive! That's expensive software! ;)
Sandboxie doesn't really have great disk performance and requires insane amounts of tweaking to get it to work well; which is why you might not have heard of it. But for idling, it should be fine.
The standalone vsphere hypervisor is free, though. Although, maybe this is a topic for OT and not here...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The_Technomancer said:
*cackles* I always run Backburner pyro on Hightower. Its so incredibly easy to just end up behind random people.
Oh, but High Tower is one of the easiest maps to blow people off too.

I can confirm that idling in training mode works, not that I doubted you guys. :D

Does anyone have the items sets? I have the one for the sniper and the soldier. Sort of wondering if I should try to get the pyro's.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just the items is super easy. Its the hats that are a pain.

I like the Pyro set, despite it having a ton of haters. For Spy, I rock default layout most of the time.

opticalmace said:
Does anyone have the items sets? I have the one for the sniper and the soldier. Sort of wondering if I should try to get the pyro's.

I don't have it but it doesn't seem worth it. Running faster is nice but bullet damage is the biggest threat to Pyros so I wouldn't accentuate it.

Is there also a daily limit for drops or just a weekly limit?

I idled and got 6 items, and no more since. I thought I would get more than that per week?

Dug

Banned
opticalmace said:
Is there also a daily limit for drops or just a weekly limit?

I idled and got 6 items, and no more since. I thought I would get more than that per week?
Weekly limit. I believe it's eight items per week, not sure though...

So, as I said earlier, I started by crafting a Big Country. Wore it for a little while, traded it for the Pyro eyes, then screwed up and traded it for the Engie Googly Gazer, which I like, but which is a crate hat.

I finally traded it away, someone on a trade server offered me 4 keys. That's still a little low to get the Pyro eyes back. After a bit of trying, and about the third time TF2 crashed when disconnecting from a server, I was like, "Eff it, they're keys I didn't pay anything for." So I opened my last few Series 9 crates. A Grenadier's Softcap, that's nice. A low-grade paint, eh. A... wait, that name's purple.

TF2HappyHelmet.jpg

TF2HelmetisSpy.jpg

And then I got a Pink paint which made it all worthwhile.

By the way, this is how you say someone got ripped off on a trade server. See how easy it is?

TF2GenuinelyRippedOff.jpg

The whole server stopped and did a "WTF" to it. Apparently this Charlie person is a known scammer too, from what I've overheard.

Forkball

Finally got that Steak. The only troublesome part is that when the effects wear off and I try to switch to my previous weapon, it switches to the steak since that was technically your last weapon since it autoswitches you to melee. After the effect wore off, I tried to switch to my minigun by hitting the previous weapon button, but it was a steak and I accidentally ate it AGAIN. Needless to say I died soon afterwards.

Yeef

At the end of a Ravine round there was a heavy arrowed to the ground in such a way that it looked like he was sitting and gyrating. I wish I had gotten a video of it, because it was hilarious:

26155FEC0FCE811C0A6D68F0EA7681885A49268A

C731F5CA0B80B211731BEE7E7056676B29839BC3

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Nice find Kulock! Definitely worthwhile I would say.

Yeef - nice pics haha

Good games tonight everyone. As far as Thundermountain goes, all I have to say is "wow". What a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom