• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Technomancer said:
What possible reason is there to not use the BB over the regular flamethrower now?
None at all. But then again, it's really just a choice between BB and Degreaser, which is still incredibly useful for puff'n'sting.

cdyhybrid

EmCeeGramr said:
None at all. But then again, it's really just a choice between BB and Degreaser, which is still incredibly useful for puff'n'sting.

Pretty much this. I'm leaning towards the BB right now though, because I'm pretty good at circle strafing and I -SUCK- at aiming the Axtinguisher (and melee in general).

Yeef

The_Technomancer said:
What possible reason is there to not use the BB over the regular flamethrower now?
Only 4 airblasts, vs. 10 with the other flamethrowers. Trust me, it makes a big difference. It becomes an 'emergency-only' function rather than an 'anytime' utility as it is normally. Remember, airblast uses the same ammo as your normal flames. Losing a quarter of your ammo for a single airblast isn't that big a deal, but most situations where the airblast is useful require you to spam it a few times (holding up ubers, reflecting rockets, etc.).

That said, it's definitely a boost to the backburner. You don't really notice the slight damage nerf too much (especially if you're burning backs), but you definitely feel it when the ability to airblast saves your ass.

Yeef

Nope. It's taking forever to download (as is my client). I blame all the portal 2 clock nonsense.

(Speaking of which, if anyone wants to get down on a 2-pack, hit me up. Soon).

Backburner now is a much more viable weapon, thank god. Sucks for the melee weapons though, now melee combat is worse.

By the way, thank god they fixed the katana glitch. That's why Accidante sometimes killed me in one hit with a non-crit in our katana duels.

Forkball

Sweet shit they nerfed so many items I loved.

Ullapool Caber was once a great suicide weapon, now it's just a weapon that gets you killed faster while your foe trots off.

Battalion's Backup more like Battalion's maybe back you up if I survive attacks that could kill me three times over.

Powerjack is more or less useless.

Fists of Steel... ok that was overpowered and should have been nerfed. BUT STILL.

And how useless is the Southern Hospitality now? Nobody used that thing, but they nerfed it for some reason. You make your opponent bleed for six seconds at the expensive of -25% damage and 20% fire resistance? Oh joy!

I'm glad the Sydney Sleeper got a buff though. Body shotters, unite!

Yeef

Server update is finished.

I disabled the built-in voting and enabled silk (even though it's enabled by default).

Also, I found out something last night about arena. Apparently it splits the players into 3 even teams. Two that play and one that sits out. Since I had it set at 24 players it meant teams maxed out at 8 players per team. I upped it to 32 (though I'm not sure that will work without some kind of mod) so that 11 people can play per team. On a full server 2 people will still have to sit out per round, but it's better than 8 people sitting out...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The wrench still makes it easy to spot spies, plus melee weapons still have the 15% base crit rate making it likely that one hit on a spy will kill him instantly now.

Seriously, what's the fucking point of melee now? Apart from the Axtinguisher. Eyelander and Caber were the only melee weapons I used regularly sans Axtinguisher.

Yeef

The idea behind the -25% melee nerf is that
  • You shouldn't balance weapons around something that's a random chance (crits).
  • Lots of servers disable crits outright, meaning that said weapons actually didn't really have a downside.

I don't agree with the powerjack vulnerability at all though. Someone at SPUF pointed out that with the melee vulnerability from the powerjack, the bullet vulnerability form the grease jockey set and the explosive vulnerability from the detonator a pyro with that setup will take extra damage from just about everything.

Jzero

Lame the updates barely came in. Now i have to wait for them to finish
LLShC.gif

Forkball

Sgt.Pepper said:
Seriously, what's the fucking point of melee now? Apart from the Axtinguisher. Eyelander and Caber were the only melee weapons I used regularly sans Axtinguisher.
Yeah it's odd to see Valve give the Demo so many damn melee weapons and then nerf half of them.

It's also odd that Valve is considering this a "major" update, the last one before this being Australian Christmas. Does that mean we have to wait four more months for the Detonator?

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
The idea behind the -25% melee nerf is that
  • You shouldn't balance weapons around something that's a random chance (crits).
  • Lots of servers disable crits outright, meaning that said weapons actually didn't really have a downside.

I don't agree with the powerjack vulnerability at all though. Someone at SPUF pointed out that with the melee vulnerability from the powerjack, the bullet vulnerability form the grease jockey set and the explosive vulnerability from the detonator a pyro with that setup will take extra damage from just about everything.
Well, they just balanced melee weapons by adding random chance (crits) to several of them, didn't they? I agree that it seems odd to nerf the southern hospitality. Eyelander achievements will probably now be even harder to get, and my stickyjumping caber days may be over. QQ

Melee vulnerability for the powerjack is weird, since it's not like the fists of steel where you could use them to try to strategically cross an area covered by a sentry/enemy fire (out of melee range). You would only be using the powerjack when you are WITHIN melee range of enemies.

I thought at first they had increased the sydney sleeper charge TIME and I was very confused, lol.

Can the caber still kill snipers in one hit? Stickyjumping in 2fort was really fun, I hope they didn't take that away from me.

Edit: How the hell will I get the "No time to bleed" achievement with the Equalizer nerf?

Edit 2: This update is taking forever, I wanna see how it runs now.

Forkball

Blizzard said:
Eyelander achievements will probably now be even harder to get, and my stickyjumping caber days may be over. QQ
The Eyelander achievements are/were fairly easy to get in medieval mode. The katana still counts towards those achievements.

I'll lay off TF2 tonight, the loadouts are messed up and everyone's getting kicked because of the lack of connection to the Steam server. I do want to try that Sydney Sleeper though.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said the server crashes on map change. People always say Valve has great quality control, but I feel like it doesn't apply to TF2 updates. =P I can't even look at my backpack (even without joining a server) because it says can't connect to Steam or whatnot.

Maximum janky all around!

GAF avatars aren't working
Steam downloads spiking/horribly slow
Can't access backpack or change load out in TF2
Can't get use to the audio dim when talking in TF2
TF2 server crashin'

:U

yeoz

system_update_again.png

Incidentally, I just did the new training achieve. Had to redo all of them a couple times as it kept crashing during the engineer training, and you need to do all of them in one sitting for the achieve. Goddamn that was painful. Goddamn that new dynamic loading nonsense. I keep getting crashes that say dynamic mesh blah blah blah. Fucking valve. :( Although, I don't know if that's related to the update, but, I never got those error messages before.

Blizzard

Banned
yeoz said:
Incidentally, I just did the new training achieve. Had to redo all of them a couple times as it kept crashing during the engineer training, and you need to do all of them in one sitting for the achieve. Goddamn that was painful. Goddamn that new dynamic loading nonsense. I keep getting crashes that say dynamic mesh blah blah blah. Fucking valve. :( Although, I don't know if that's related to the update, but, I never got those error messages before.
It definitely sounds related since they made some model loading update and said it makes the game use much less memory. You'd assume they tested all this stuff but I guess people have too many different configurations for them to be sure.

DogWelder

Sgt.Pepper said:
Getting the max heads is pretty hard.
It's reasonably difficult with the eyelander's current attributes. But if the only debuff was the health penalty I would be playing demoknight 90% of the time to start a round. Well I would if I still main'd demo. Not saying I like the dmg penalty though. No crits is better.

Forkball

Blizzard said:
Left 4 Heads is one of the achievements I still don't have, and that's going to be rough now. =P
I got this with the samurai sword on Degroot. A lot of people wield that thing, and it one hit kills anyone using it, so you can wreck house with it if you're lucky enough. Not to mention, each kill restores you to full health, so it's useful for fighting off groups.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ArtistDude88 said:
Maximum janky all around!

GAF avatars aren't working
Steam downloads spiking/horribly slow
Can't access backpack or change load out in TF2
Can't get use to the audio dim when talking in TF2
TF2 server crashin'

:U
J:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If rumors are true Valve added some new Unusual particle effects. Current ones reported are Yellow and Green Skulls.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Lot of weirdos on the server tonight. Saw a solider on hightower just kinda standing around and then he shot 2 rockets at an ammo box.

Blizzard

Banned
Steam voice send/receive volume is max, TF2 voice volume send/receive is max, Windows 7 mixer is set to even across all applications except for TF2 which gets put really low. If I change it back to normal so I can actually hear ingame sound effects and people talking, it works, but when I press and release the mic button it instantly turns the Windows 7 mixer TF2-specific volume back down to like 20%, without turning it back up. I literally almost completely can't hear game sound effects with that volume level, without manually turning it back up.

Is there any way around this? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom