• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Oh great custom mods are basically dead now.

"Server-side model attachments, as used in popular mods like VS Saxton Hale Mode and Advanced Weaponiser are now entirely disabled."

Fuck this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScxOs4h4ReU

They killed half the fun I had with this game with this update.

Nabs

every week left 4 dead 2 would update and kill sourcemod. it was really annoying to deal with at the time.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I just hope these people find a way to bring back some of my favorite stuff.

btw, you can get your loadout back by doing this:

1. Load up TF2 to Main Menu. Do not Click Anything.
2. Disconnect from Internet.
3. Wait 10-30 seconds.
4. Reconnect Internet. Wait until Teddy Bear appears. (Can take 10-30 secs)
5. Hello Loadout!
You will have to do it again if you exit TF2 though.

Update to fix yesterday's problems in about 30 minutes according to Valve on SPUF

EDIT: Just launched, kind of small
Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2M)
-Fixed a startup crash for some users who were unable to load client.dll
-Fixed a "status" command regression in the dedicated server console

Team Fortress 2
-Added a missing material for the Scotsman's Stove Pipe
-Fixed a server crash caused by the server triggering a nextlevel vote
-Fixed the kicking of coaches for being idle as soon as they stop coaching
-Fixed a coaching exploit

It just launched, it's nothing outright groundbreaking

Team Fortress 2

Our first hidden patch note!
me on SPUF said:
Update broke the Ghastly Gibus when using the Ghastlier Gibus style
Material models/player/items/all_class/all_domination_hat does not support vertex format used by the mesh (maybe missing fields or mismatched vertex compression?), mesh will not be rendered.

lol

Blizzard said:
Thanks to SgtPepper for the heads up. Portal pins are finally out for preorderers.
59803D3D303EDBC8A7754AE6247D850C11B9CFA1

Ya.

D:

You don't get the pin for pre-ordering a boxed copy from a retailer. For L4D2 you were able to get Bill's Hat from pre-ordering L4D2 from anywhere.

But 34.99 for GOTY 2011 would be a crime to pass up.

small patch, and Valve on the beta
The -25% damage changes to the Demoman and Engineer weapons have been backed out. If you restart your client and your servers you will receive the changes. The Powerjack is retaining its adjustment for now, but we will play with it again on beta.

A new beta update will be pushed next week that will introduce several new weapons for the soldier and sniper. Other new weapons and weapon balance changes will follow on beta in successive weeks.

We're thinking about ways to encourage use of beta, such as time spent on beta resulting in item drops you can use in the normal game so that you don't feel like your time is wasted. If you have ideas about this, post them in the beta forum or email us.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I didn't have a problem with yesterday's update, but this one today is causing me to crash.

Way to be Valve.

Forkball

We're thinking about ways to encourage use of beta, such as time spent on beta resulting in item drops you can use in the normal game so that you don't feel like your time is wasted. If you have ideas about this, post them in the beta forum or email us.
"If you don't give us actual feedback on the beta, we will ruin your items."

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe this is a preview of how screwed up you will be if Valve thinks your server is bad, and/or if Valve has any glitch and everything is wired into their system. :p It's nice if their servers at working, but yeah.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
I was coaching Drkirby yesterday, who then decided to coach Baha. It was fairly ridiculous.
Would have been even better if we were dueling, because then you would of been my coach while I was coaching Baha and dueling him.

I'm leaving hope of Valve doing a Portal-themed map or giving Sentry Turrets to the Engineer; what a waste.

Edit: They fixed the problem Blizzard had with the voice chat. Hopefully Steam won't get stuck everytime I launch a game. >_>

Wanted to play a class I never played so I stuck with medic for about 2 or 3 maps. Did ok. could've done better but I have less than 3 hours into the medic so I didn't think I would do that well anyways.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
MatthewB92 said:
Wanted to play a class I never played so I stuck with medic for about 2 or 3 maps. Did ok. could've done better but I have less than 3 hours into the medic so I didn't think I would do that well anyways.

you did well particularly on freight. not sure if I've played with you all that much so it was good working together with you

Yeef

hl2.exe crashed for me more times tonight than it has in the last year.

Also, apparently the in-game voting is set to always nominate the least-played maps by default. I have to remember to fix that if we don't get SourceMod updated soon.

Yeef

darthbob said:
Has anyone gotten a Companion Cube Pin yet?

Preordered Portal 2 on Steam, and nothin'. : /
Checking the Mann. Co. store forces any drops that you have to be collected. Chances are you already have it, but just haven't gotten it. Try that.

Blizzard

Banned
darthbob said:

Yup, I got it when I launched Steam to do training today.

Sorry to hear about how buggy they've made TF2. I hope Portal 2 doesn't launch with a bunch of bugs or server problems.

Forkball

RIP TF2 AMIRITE

But seriously, this has been a pretty bad update bug-wise. Maybe they're hoping we won't notice because we would be playing the potato games, but Valve really needs to fix this fast.

But I do have to say, the Sydney Sleeper is pretty awesome with the buff. The charge is only a half a second faster, but that makes a huge difference. You can very quickly one shot a lot of classes, and if you don't kill them you can at least make them retreat. Yes, I know snipers who are actually good would rather just use the regular rifle for the instakill, but for the rest of us, this weapon is a ton of fun.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
MatthewB92 said:
I think the best advice I can give you as a Medic is to always take the initiative and do decisions on the fly. Hesitation is usually the invisible fence between mediocre Medics who are just there to fill the gap, and good Medics who will carry a team by simply staying alive and being smart. Keeping tabs of the scoresheet is also valuable in PUGs to determine who best to Uber/Kritz, do if you're pumping 8-15 Ubers out in a round I tend to spread it amongst most players that I can because at the end of the day everyone is there to have fun and being Uber'd/Kritz'd brightens the day.

Also remember that everything is situational. If your team is pushing the cart and getting hammered at a chokepoint with no clear sentry gun in sight, give the Pyro or Heavy an Uber to scare the other team off and give your teammates room to breathe. Conversely if a Pyro is running at you with flames alight, never hesitate to take out your melee and charge at them whilst trying to flank the flames. Your health regen should give you enough time to find the nearest health kit/another Medic to come to the rescue.

Blizzard

Banned
speedpop said:
I think the best advice I can give you as a Medic is to always take the initiative and do decisions on the fly. Hesitation is usually the invisible fence between mediocre Medics who are just there to fill the gap, and good Medics who will carry a team by simply staying alive and being smart. Keeping tabs of the scoresheet is also valuable in PUGs to determine who best to Uber/Kritz, do if you're pumping 8-15 Ubers out in a round I tend to spread it amongst most players that I can because at the end of the day everyone is there to have fun and being Uber'd/Kritz'd brightens the day.

Also remember that everything is situational. If your team is pushing the cart and getting hammered at a chokepoint with no clear sentry gun in sight, give the Pyro or Heavy an Uber to scare the other team off and give your teammates room to breathe. Conversely if a Pyro is running at you with flames alight, never hesitate to take out your melee and charge at them whilst trying to flank the flames. Your health regen should give you enough time to find the nearest health kit/another Medic to come to the rescue.
I agree with this except for the pyro part, but I'm hardly an expert medic. If the pyro has the degreaser, running towards them seems to me like just asking to be airblasted and axetinguished all over the nearest wall. :p

Yeef

Medic moves faster than pyro, so generally what you want to do is fire needles while backing away. Assuming you're using the bluts between the needle damage and healing you'll out-DPS the pyro pretty easily. If you're not using the bluts just run away normally. Your natural health regen will negate any after burn and being faster the pyro won't be able to catch you.

Obviously you want to still using dodging maneuvers just in case the pyro has a flare gun. If it's a grease jockey pyro you have less chance to escape, so I say just roll the dice and try to bait him into your melee range. Crit chance scales with the damage you've done in the last 20 seconds. That includes damage dealt by people you were healing, so you usually have a pretty good chance of getting a crit swing on your bonesaw. With the extra melee vulnerability the Powerjack has now even a non-crit might be enough to do the pyro in.

I complained about this in the Gaming topic just now, but I'll say it here too:

Items bought from the Mann Co. Store now have a 2 day wait before becoming tradable.
There goes most of the trade economy. People have more money than sense when it comes to this sort of thing, and the "untradable store" was the only thing holding some people back. Who wants to go through the pain of dealing with crafting and trading when you could just buy most of the catalog from the store's inventory, with the missing items being rotated in now and then? And others will buy stacks of the items specifically for trading for the rarer stuff, won't be able to trade it, and trade values go down even further than they have already. To the point where it's not going to be worth it.

The only thing that could vaguely save this is if they drastically limit the store stock (ha), or there's a clear distinction between "Store Bought" (as the Untradable notice on stuff currently is) and Crafted/Found. And even then, that's getting picky for most people.

opticalmace said:
Can someone explain what coaching is? I feel totally out of the loop. This is something brand new right?
Someone hovers over your shoulder basically, able to see roughly what you see, and can give you instruction on how to play and what you should do. I think you both get a separate mic channel, although I'm not sure if this blocks off your normal mic chat or not.

Yeef said:
our natural health regen will negate any after burn and being faster the pyro won't be able to catch you.
It's funny, with Amputator/Crossbow, you passively outheal afterburn damage. (4 points healing vs 3 damage.) It's almost kind of sad, really.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Man...Janky Ass Server lives up to it's name. I hope Valve fixes whatever it is they mucked up. Kept getting connection errors, or when I connected, I'd be kicked out.

Bluth54

I played for the first time tonight since the update and the game crashed twice for me in less then an hour. I guess I'll wait for Valve to fix it.

I think I'm pretty close to being done with this game. I'm getting genuinely mad when you're playing a newer map or mode that hasn't been played to death and people rtv to play Dustbowl, Goldrush and Badwater for the umpteenth time. I'm fucking sick of those maps, just like I was with Counter-Strike with Aztec, Dust1 and Dust2 or Day of Defeat with Avalanche, Kalt and Anzio before I quit playing those games for good. I don't get how people can play the same fps for years and just mindlessly shovel through the same shit ad nauseam. Yes, let's play another round of Dustbowl, badly, for the ten thousandth time.

When you're tired of the cornerstone maps of a game, it's time to move on. I think I'm just going to pre-order Brink.

The game is buggy because they literally redid the entire game. They re-ordered and recoded vast amounts of the game to run smoother and load faster. That's why 100% of the mods don't work, Valve redid everything. They did a ton of back-end stuff this update.

-They put in a new way to set kill icons so in the future weapons can easily get kill icons
-They restructured the textures and models so they are better organized and load faster
-They wrote a new caching system that doesn't require the game to load every single art asset in the game when it boots up
-They drastically improved the lighting system

If you compare the coding of TF2 before Thursday and today, it's practically a different game. TF2 was becoming a bloated mess of half-assed updates and cheap copy and pasted coding. This update changed that and went back and fixed lots of errors and problems that TF2 had since they started adding new weapons.

This update needed to happen. When everything is ironed out, this update will be the great "optimization" update everyone wanted for so long. It's just that Valve did so many changes, that they now have so many bugs. To make matters worse, they were a man down on Friday (vacation).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeef said:
All glory to the HypnoYeef. I was surprised I was able to ride the cart all the way to the top uncontested. I can only assume my team was keeping the red team at bay.
I killed every sentry Borgnine put up for like 5 minutes.

balladofwindfishes said:
The game is buggy because they literally redid the entire game. They re-ordered and recoded vast amounts of the game to run smoother and load faster. That's why 100% of the mods don't work, Valve redid everything. They did a ton of back-end stuff this update.

-They put in a new way to set kill icons so in the future weapons can easily get kill icons
-They restructured the textures and models so they are better organized and load faster
-They wrote a new caching system that doesn't require the game to load every single art asset in the game when it boots up
-They drastically improved the lighting system

If you compare the coding of TF2 before Thursday and today, it's practically a different game. TF2 was becoming a bloated mess of half-assed updates and cheap copy and pasted coding. This update changed that and went back and fixed lots of errors and problems that TF2 had since they started adding new weapons.

This update needed to happen. When everything is ironed out, this update will be the great "optimization" update everyone wanted for so long. It's just that Valve did so many changes, that they now have so many bugs. To make matters worse, they were a man down on Friday (vacation).

I had no idea they did all that! Ok, they are excused from having bugs.... for now :)

Chinner

Banned
pot by greenarine
The -25% damage changes to the Demoman and Engineer weapons have been backed out. If you restart your client and your servers you will receive the changes. The Powerjack is retaining its adjustment for now, but we will play with it again on beta.

A new beta update will be pushed next week that will introduce several new weapons for the soldier and sniper. Other new weapons and weapon balance changes will follow on beta in successive weeks.

balladofwindfishes said:
Update to fix yesterday's problems in about 30 minutes according to Valve on SPUF

EDIT: Just launched, kind of small

Team Fortress 2

Yeah . . . fix the damn crashes. I don't know what it was but I've never had TF2 crash as much as it did last night. After a 3rd crash, I gave up.

darthbob said:

I don't have mine yet either. Nor do I have my potato hat (just ordered the combo 2 days ago). Did get my associate's pin though.

opticalmace said:
I don't have mine yet either. Nor do I have my potato hat (just ordered the combo 2 days ago). Did get my associate's pin though.
Try opening the Mann.co store. It should give you all the items you haven't received yet.

Ceebs

So everyone else gets to join my own little world of hl2.exe crashes.

I think I had fixed that just a few days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom