• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Get a "worse" mic?

I remember when I used a Ventrilo to play Block Land, the Mic I got at the dollar produced better quality then most people who had far most costly mics. Though since it was from the dollar store, the wire snapped after a few months :/

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
GAF Server IP: 68.232.178.184:27015
Steam Community group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2

28tdtld.jpg

new page

Yasae

Banned
Volcynika said:
No this is the same thread.
Put down the haterade.
Drkirby said:
Get a "worse" mic?

I remember when I used a Ventrilo to play Block Land, the Mic I got at the dollar produced better quality then most people who had far most costly mics. Though since it was from the dollar store, the wire snapped after a few months :/
Dollar store? Ghetto confirmed.

Boonoo

Hazaro said:
Wow my voice quality is terrible.
My mic is great too, I guess whatever TF2 uses butchers it.

Anyone know how to get better mic quality?

The voice client is just shitty. The difference is really apparent when you jump from something like Mumble to TF2 while talking to the same people.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
The voice client is just shitty. The difference is really apparent when you jump from something like Mumble to TF2 while talking to the same people.
Yes. I really wish it was possible to force everyone to use the best voice clients around.

Unfortunately, it's not. ):

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yasae said:
Put down the haterade.

Dollar store? Ghetto confirmed.
I was 16 at the time, I didn't have the money to toss down on a new mic willy nilly.

My headphones at the time was also something from the early 90's that was held together by about 40 feet of masking tape before the wire got cut. That piece of plastic kept getting snapped, and I kept tapping it back together :lol

This does not discredit my mouse D:

Yasae

Banned
Drkirby said:
I was 16 at the time, I didn't have the money to toss down on a new mic willy nilly.

My headphones at the time was also something from the early 90's that was held together by about 40 feet of masking tape before the wire got cut. That piece of plastic kept getting snapped, and I kept tapping it back together :lol

This does not discredit my mouse D:
I still shop at the dollar store from time to time. THOSE FUCKIN EL FUDGE COOKIES FOR $2, MAN! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMM!!!

Blizzard

Banned
Yasae said:
I still shop at the dollar store from time to time. THOSE FUCKIN EL FUDGE COOKIES FOR $2, MAN! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMM!!!
That's more than one dollar!

Also, I seem to recall my microphone being quite cheap. It's a pretty long cable, it has a lapel clip and an off button, but it just sits on a little plastic circle on my desk, without a boom or anything. And yet, people say I have the voice of an angel and so forth.

Okay, maybe the quality is horrible, who knows.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Twig said:
my headset cost me twenty

it sucks

pee ess who's up for some late night tf2
The gaf server should have events posted 24/7 it's the only way people even bother to join in the first place. It's like everyone bails sometime after 12:00am (EST).

Twig

Banned
Plywood said:
The gaf server should have events posted 24/7 it's the only way people even bother to join in the first place. It's like everyone bails sometime after 12:00am (EST).
Yeah, I know. Been that way since it (that is to say, this server) started.

Ah well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
My headset cost me $60. About three weeks later it had a permanent price drop to $30.
My current 'upgraded' headset for TF2 cost $6. Beats using a Sing Star Mic. Now I no longer have to pick up my Mic by hand :eek:

When I don't need a mic, I use a cheaper pair of Sennheiser headsets.

And I wasn't on tonight for those who don't care due to playing the best game ever to be released September 14th 2010, a game that is sure to be remembered for Years to come.
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future!

If you guessed right, 10 Picarats for you!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I bought a Sennheiser PC 151 because of TF2 way back in 2007! Haven't had a problem since. Too bad I'm totally incapable of shooting and talking at the same time. :p

Yeef

fallengorn said:
I bought a Sennheiser PC 151 because of TF2 way back in 2007! Haven't had a problem since. Too bad I'm totally incapable of shooting and talking at the same time. :p
That's fine. Whenever you see me stop shooting and we can engage in a riveting conversation
while I continue to shoot at you

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I forget, does TF2 have an option to just make the mic "Push Button to turn on" and not "Hold to talk"

Also, did the audio quality change at all when I changed from my Sing Star Mic to my Cheap $6 mic?

You can create that functionality pretty easily in the autoexec. I'll post how to do it when I get home. I, personally, use the mousewheel to control my chatting. Scroll up to enable, scroll down to disable.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
RocketDarkness said:
You can create that functionality pretty easily in the autoexec. I'll post how to do it when I get home. I, personally, use the mousewheel to control my chatting. Scroll up to enable, scroll down to disable.
I like to keep that as a second option to swap my weapons. I like the redundancy.

Yeef

Speaking of scripts: I'm thinking of making a script that shoots when you release the mouse instead of when you press it while scoped. A friend mentioned that he used to snipe that way in TFC and it made him a lot more accurate, so I want to give it a try.

Drkirby said:
I like to keep that as a second option to swap my weapons. I like the redundancy.
The numbers and Q are more than enough. I don't think any class has enough weapons to waste the mousewheel on switching. That said, I never bothered to bind it to anything else.

Twig

Banned
i use the mousewheel ):

I've been trying to use the number keys for ages but I just can't get the habit down.

Of course ironically the ridiculous amount of spy I've been playing lately has me in that habit but it ONLY WORKS FOR SPY because no other class (except engineer) uses the number 4. ):

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, if you look at the picture of my mouse people keep mocking, you will see there is no wheel, but instead just a forward and back button. THOSE are mapped to weapon switch along with 123 and Q.

I really get annoyed when a program which you can't remap keys to requires the scroll wheel to use certain functions and doesn't bother to map them to the keyboard ether. Makes me have to bust out my normal USB mouse and make room on my desk for it.

And yes, using the weapon switch buttons on my mouse for both Engineer and Spy is annoying, I just use the keyboard exclusively then.

Javaman

Twig said:
i use the mousewheel ):

I've been trying to use the number keys for ages but I just can't get the habit down.

Of course ironically the ridiculous amount of spy I've been playing lately has me in that habit but it ONLY WORKS FOR SPY because no other class (except engineer) uses the number 4. ):

Yeah, It's almost vital to use the numbers for spy if you want to stab and sap before the engineer's sentry gets you.

Yeef

Mr. Fancy-mouse with more than 3 buttons! (I've been eying the Logitech Performance MX, but I can't justify spending $80 on a mouse).

Drkirby said:
Well, if you look at the picture of my mouse people keep mocking, you will see there is no wheel, but instead just a forward and back button. THOSE are mapped to weapon switch along with 123 and Q.
Then what do you use for attack1 and attack2?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
Mr. Fancy-mouse with more than 3 buttons! (I've been eying the Logitech Performance MX, but I can't justify spending $80 on a mouse).

Then what do you use for attack1 and attack2?
You mean main fire and alt fire? The normal buttons. Here, take a closer look, the mouse has 4 buttons on it:
31XWcgTvFOL.jpg

Yeef

Drkirby said:
You mean main fire and alt fire? The normal buttons. Here, take a closer look, the mouse has 4 buttons on it:
31XWcgTvFOL.jpg
You have too many LITTLE MEN BUTTONS on your team mouse!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The small buttons are a bit bigger then the picture makes them look. Or are you just upset that I have 1 more buton on my mouse then you do?

Yeef

Drkirby said:
The small buttons are a bit bigger then the picture makes them look. Or are you just upset that I have 1 more buton on my mouse then you do?
The only thing I'm upset about is being bored out of my mind right now. Stupid job!

I can use mwheelup and mwheeldown as inputs so my mouse still wins!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am upset I left my glasses AND DSi at home. I remembered the DSi charger, but not the system itself, DOH!

And one of my classes was canceled today too. I could of been like 7 hour into Layton by now! Oh well, I'll finish up my last class in only 4 hours. Whoo. But I still have an hour to kill :/

Yeef

Drkirby said:
I am upset I left my glasses AND DSi at home. I remembered the DSi charger, but not the system itself, DOH!

And one of my classes was canceled today too. I could of been like 7 hour into Layton by now! Oh well, I'll finish up my last class in only 4 hours. Whoo. But I still have an hour to kill :/
I am reading random articles on Gamasutra to pass the time.

Fortunately my day is just about done.

notsol337

marked forever
Drkirby said:

I have 5 buttons on my mouse, plus the wheel. I only see 4 buttons on your mouse.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
notsol337 said:
I have 5 buttons on my mouse, plus the wheel. I only see 4 buttons on your mouse.
I was talking to Yeef, who said his mouse only had 3 buttons. But yeah, I only have 4 buttons. Enough for most thing, but it would be nice if I could click the two smaller buttons at once for a middle click of sorts.

notsol337

marked forever
I want to learn to use one for WoW, but I'd assume the learning curve would be insane.

I wonder how many people will fail to notice the joystick on the side :D

moojito

razer_naga.jpg

That's what I'm using, but it's really not worth the £65, sadly. The number 1 button on the side is right where my thumb naturally rests, which is pretty annoying.

Yeef

This is the one I want to get (and probably will whenever it's on sale/drops price: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HWRJBM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've used it before and it's very comfortable and the extra buttons don't get in the way at all.

Drkirby said:
I was talking to Yeef, who said his mouse only had 3 buttons. But yeah, I only have 4 buttons. Enough for most thing, but it would be nice if I could click the two smaller buttons at once for a middle click of sorts.
Actually, I guess I technically do have 5 buttons. The scroll wheel can be clicked left or right, but I never use those buttons because it feels unnatural...

20090125013929!LesterEliza.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom