• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeef said:
A lot of Lotus Clan servers use fake player counts. It's annoying when, in the middle of the day, you join a server that says 23/24 and when you actually connect there's only 4 other people playing.
I usually double check the server info before I join to see if the player count is accurate or not.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Freefrag is another with fake player counts. I do wish I had a regular serious pants server though. NeoGAF is light hearted, so I just play trolling classes. GG has strong players, but they're often off classing or using different set ups, so it's better for troll classes. F7 was good, but goddamn their policies and admins. There aren't a lot of servers where I feel I should medic seriously.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Kuro Madoushi said:
Freefrag is another with fake player counts. I do wish I had a regular serious pants server though. NeoGAF is light hearted, so I just play trolling classes. GG has strong players, but they're often off classing or using different set ups, so it's better for troll classes. F7 was good, but goddamn their policies and admins. There aren't a lot of servers where I feel I should medic seriously.

Reddit Great Lakes has been really good to me. Their other servers are generally pretty silly, but that one's pretty serious-pants and of pretty good quality (when it's not an utter steamroll at least).

Oreoleo

Ugh these load times are the worst!

What. is. the. deal.

seinfeld-stand-up.JPG

Yeahhhh, the load times are insane. Server deities, please fix this!

And great games tonight. Some good efforts on each side almost every time.

Grimm Fandango said:
That's really the only time I use the "blacklist server" option. Fucking hate it when servers lie about the number of players.

Yeah, I have all the lotus servers blacklisted. My blacklist is sooo long, because I'm really picky about my servers :(

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
There is only one server.

Well, not right now since it janked out but you know what I mean.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ArtistDude88 said:
Yeah, I have all the lotus servers blacklisted. My blacklist is sooo long, because I'm really picky about my servers :(
People ether love or hate the Lotus servers. I haven't used one in months though, only time I did was on 24/7 High Tower (Favorite Map)

I found it amusing the few games of Day of Defeat I played were still on Lotus Clan Servers.

Forkball

Server had an extra dose of jank tonight. Playing as a demo on Viaduct is a lot of fun if Engies don't build real sentry. Plus, I got two Equalizer drops tonight OH JOY

Clydefrog

Forkball said:
Server had an extra dose of jank tonight. Playing as a demo on Viaduct is a lot of fun if Engies don't build real sentry. Plus, I got two Equalizer drops tonight OH JOY

only thing I got tonight was a BAR O' CHOCOLATE

besides, of course, jank up the waazoooo

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I remember a friend of mine got perma banned for doing the civilian glitch as an engi on a Lotus server. Funny thing is that while doing it he was the only one defending the base with a sentry out. Bunch of bs I say.

Jinaar

Played last night on the server and was confronted by maps I've never played on before. Was a sad moment for me being called out by a team member as I was playing with myself and my turret at Defense Point D while all the fighting was happening at Defense Point A. Herp Derp!

New Map Syndrome is the worst for newbies. I have zero chance of winning most battles due to ignorance of the layout. I left after the 3rd game and cried myself to sleep. I did get a MANN CO. Crate though out of it. It was like a gift from the Valve gods of above for sucking.

EDIT: Will try to play more on the Server just to learn the maps more, educational purposes obviously. But I may rage due to getting backstabbed by DrKirby constantly.

Jinaar said:
Played last night on the server and was confronted by maps I've never played on before. Was a sad moment for me being called out by a team member as I was playing with myself and my turret at Defense Point D while all the fighting was happening at Defense Point A. Herp Derp!

New Map Syndrome is the worst for newbies. I have zero chance of winning most battles due to ignorance of the layout. I left after the 3rd game and cried myself to sleep. I did get a MANN CO. Crate though out of it. It was like a gift from the Valve gods of above for sucking.

EDIT: Will try to play more on the Server just to learn the maps more, educational purposes obviously. But I may rage due to getting backstabbed by DrKirby constantly.
You're never going to learn if you don't stay. (I do remember you being called out, though, haha :p)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'll play on Lotus once in a while, mostly their Arena servers.. but as it's been said.. they use bots and fake player counts to always appear full.

SourceOP serves are decent as well, usually having people, a good level of skill and OKAY ping for me. And of course I play on the GibbedGaming server, although it's not nearly as full throughout the day as the before mentioned.

Evlar

Banned
Yeah, that's why I really avoid playing Engie until I know a map fairly well. I still suck but in less obviously embarrassing ways.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
dragonlife29 said:
You're never going to learn if you don't stay. (I do remember you being called out, though, haha :p)

It's one of the biggest learning curves for the game, but it's really not that complicated. If anything, just follow everyone else or ask for help :p We're all pretty nice

moojito

I lost the love for TF2, but hate not having the love! It's such a great game, but every time I think of firing it up I go "meh". Eternal reward spy rampages are still about the most fun you can have in front of your pc. With your clothes on.

moojito said:
I lost the love for TF2, but hate not having the love! It's such a great game, but every time I think of firing it up I go "meh". Eternal reward spy rampages are still about the most fun you can have in front of your pc. With your clothes on.
yeah thats kinda what i think as well, only time i play is with gaf cause they are fun to play with.

Jinaar

Oh I ain't worried. The few maps I currently have played a ton are:

CFT_2Fort
CP_Freight
CP_Badlands

So I really need to play more maps :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nikolai13 said:
It's one of the biggest learning curves for the game, but it's really not that complicated. If anything, just follow everyone else or ask for help :p We're all pretty nice
I remember the first time I played Yukon (That map rarely ever comes up), I kept following the arrows and going in a huge circle, since I followed both the red and blue arrows.

Also, don't expect 2fort to pop up to often, that map won't show up in voting unless nominated.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Jinaar said:
Oh I ain't worried. The few maps I currently have played a ton are:

CFT_2Fort
CP_Freight
CP_Badlands

So I really need to play more maps :)

We play a lot of payload maps, but those are pretty easy because you can just follow the tracks anyways.

@DrKirby - I still get lost on Yukon

Oreoleo

Jinaar said:

Hahaha, I didn't mean to make you feel bad! I honestly thought you knew you were at the wrong point and were purposely building there in some grand master plan. Steel is EASILY the most confusing map in the game. Point E is always available to cap by Blu team, but with each successive capture of A, B, C, and D (in order, mind you), E becomes easier to cap for Blu and harder to defend for Red. Just make sure when you spawn to check what point your team is on and exit the corresponding door. There's also a basic map on the wall so you can get an idea of the map layout.

Here's a way cooler one though:

20110107-dytimaif931df8uw8af8yxw3sw.jpg

After Blu captures A and B, Red spawn is moved back behind the rocket (E) between C and D.

Forkball

Yeah, Steel is very confusing at first. Just pay attention to the signs and follow your teammates. It's a bit easier if you're on RED though since all the doors are clearly labeled from spawn, although getting to E can be a bit confusing. But it is a great map and the GAF server plays it a lot, so if you stay on the GAF server you will eventually learn it. For future reference, GAF mostly plays payload and attack/defend.

I had a nice time yesterday with a bunch of gaffers joining up in a GG server. I left because I swear all my bullets were going through people on frontier.

That and the game is becoming more and more glitched to me, I had several "stuck" moments in many kind of servers.

Jinaar

Haha no worries, Orellio, I don't take these things too personally. If I do that map again with the Engineer, I got a pretty good understanding of where to be now. When you play with randoms its easier to run around to do your own thing and figure a map out, but when it comes to servers that seem to have a community that has played together a lot and has good communication, expectations can rise for teammates to know what to do at all times :)

Tonight will be better. Unless I start building teleports 3 feet apart and sentry guns that point into walls.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still think the reason the Current Gaf server is so janky is the actual hardware running it isn't likely powerful enough for a 24 man server. But maybe rebooting it daily could help? At least resetting the software daily, since I doubt we can do a cold boot on it.

Forkball said:
Yeah, Steel is very confusing at first. Just pay attention to the signs and follow your teammates. It's a bit easier if you're on RED though since all the doors are clearly labeled from spawn, although getting to E can be a bit confusing. But it is a great map and the GAF server plays it a lot, so if you stay on the GAF server you will eventually learn it. For future reference, GAF mostly plays payload and attack/defend.

For people just starting out then just go to the letters alphabetically that are still red. Yes, E is always available for capture but most games progress through all the stages.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
speculawyer said:
For people just starting out then just go to the letters alphabetically that are still red. Yes, E is always available for capture but most games progress through all the stages.

With the exception of last night when our defending team had them stuck on A, but they all snuck around and capped E :mad: I was disappointed :(

Clydefrog

Had a good time with you guys last night in the jankitorium despite the astounding map loading times.

I remember one funny kill against the "It's called anime, mom!" guy. He was sniping and I was huntsmaning on the beginning of pl_upward. He was sitting on the roof of offense's spawn and I was near the point. He headshotted and killed me but my arrow was already in flight. My arrow hit him in the chest, knocked him off the roof, and he died from fall damage :D

After that, Yeef broke the server and then change the map to pl_cashworks. No one could connect to steam to change their loadouts so we all had default loadouts. I had to use the sniper rifle :(

Forkball

Drkirby said:
Who wants Promo hats!~

hats.png
Haha, I just made a post in the Steam thread about waiting for opinions before I buy the game. I enjoyed Warband, but this is pretty different so I want to see if they mess it up.

I will wait for opinions.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Decent hats. Would be nice to see some people wear them, but I like my current hats for those two classes.

Wonder if it will just be though two though. It doesn't specify a number.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Drkirby said:
Decent hats. Would be nice to see some people wear them, but I like my current hats for those two classes.

Wonder if it will just be though two though. It doesn't specify a number.

Or if they're class-specific or not.

They also added a bloody bucket hat for Soldier and bloody cone hat for Pyro. Both are obviously from Plants v Zombies.

And then there's the Dalokah's Bar reskin fish bar.

Forkball

Oh snap, stealth promo items. From the wiki:
Added Hetman's Headpiece
Added Janissary Ketche
Added Moustachium Bar
Added Fish
Added SpaceChem Pin
Added Spacemetal Scrap
Added 'Fish'
Added "Fabricate Fishcake" and "Fabricate SpaceChem Pin" crafting recipes.

Most of them seem to be new crafting items you earn by getting achievements in SpaceChem.

BLU_%27Fish%27.png

blamite

Sou is M&B going to be good? I own Warband, but I've barely played it. I found it a little hard to get into when I first picked it up. But my roommate's hype for Fire and Sword is getting me interested. Worth a buy?
(Damn you Valve, getting me just interested enough in a game to end up buying it for hats with hats a a nice bonus.

Fish Cake can be found in random drops

The Janissary Ketche
Mount Blade promo hat for Spy.
Currently not droppable, craftable, or tradable.

The Hetman's Headpiece
Mount Blade promo hat for Engineer.
Currently not droppable, craftable, or tradable.

SpaceChem Token
Referenced in game files; not actually added. Seemingly a crafting item.

Moustachium Bar
Crafting item, obtained from SpaceChem.

'Fish'

Spacemetal Scrap

SpaceChem Pin
Misc. slot item for all classes.
Not droppable, but is craftable and tradable.
Recipie: 3 Moustachium Bar + 1 Spacemetal Scrap

Fishcake
Secondary weapon for Heavy. A reskin of The Dalokohs Bar.
Craftable and tradable, and also droppable.
Recipie: 3 Moustachium Bar + 1 'Fish'

Traffic Cone
Seemingly an ordinary Pyro Hat.
Found in the game files, but not actually added to the item system.
Presumably will be droppable/craftable/tradable like a normal hat.

Bucket
Seemingly an ordinary Soldier Hat.
Found in the game files, but not actually added to the item system.
Presumably will be droppable/craftable/tradable like a normal hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom