• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Blizzard said:
Doublecross seems to me like a fun map for rocketjumping flanking soldier. Killing snipers on the battlement, going up from the sewers on the rocket jump cliff route, direct-hitting sentries guarding the intel, using the equalizer to run away with the intel, that sort of thing.

Pretty much what I do. Rocket jump from bridge to sniper deck, kill sniper, grab intel, rocket jump back up to sniper deck, rocket jump back to bridge, equalize and run since I have no health from all the rocket jumping. Repeat until dead.

Still a shit map though. Not that I got to play it last night SINCE YOU JERKS WERE HOGGING THE SERVER. I'm a donator where is my reserved slot!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sgt.Pepper said:
I still think doublecross is worse than 2fort. Worst map in the game for me by far.
Nah, Double Cross is a lot more fun.

Borgnine said:
Still a shit map though. Not that I got to play it last night SINCE YOU JERKS WERE HOGGING THE SERVER. I'm a donator where is my reserved slot!

We sold it for 2 crates.

corn_fest

I feel like doublecross is basically a more serious 2fort. It has the same problem of long stalemates (not quite as bad), but the larger map area lends itself to some more serious tactical play rather than the silliness of 2fort. There's still the same problem of the inevitable sniper battles, though.
I used to play on Freefrag's 24/7 doublecross server a lot, it was ok.

Clydefrog

Come on now, doublecross isn't as bad as 2fort. 2fort is so cramped. A spammers dream. Doublecross is much more open and has more sneaky places to move around.

Yeef

CTF is fine as long as there's only 1 engineer per team (or all battle engies). It's turtling that makes CTF annoying.

Of the official CTF maps, doublecross and turbine are the best.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
CTF is fine as long as there's only 1 engineer per team (or all battle engies). It's turtling that makes CTF annoying.

Of the official CTF maps, doublecross and turbine are the best.
All CTF maps suck.

We were doing a highlander on a CTF map. One engie. Still boring.

I've also played on a hybird CTF, Push, Capture point map. The CTF component was the weakest.

Sgt.Pepper said:
I still think doublecross is worse than 2fort. Worst map in the game for me by far.
It is better than 2Fort because it is more open, more paths, more places to hide, etc.

But that said, it does become a slog once the engies build up. I like to make a dash for the flag when the game starts before they engies build. But after they build it becomes very hard unless you get some real teamwork (an uber-raid) or good spies.

webrunner

There's only one real doublecross
doublecross.jpg

On the other hand, we could play other maps in the GAF server. We always end up playing Goldrush, High Tower, Hoodoo Final (why) and Frontier each night. I like them but they get a little boring after playing them too much.

Hell, Goldrush (1) and High Tower are my favorite maps in the game, even I get tired of them in a while.

We also rarely play 5 capture points map.

Clydefrog

I hate how I spend all my gaming time playing TF2. I want to play other games, but everytime I log onto Steam I always click on TF2. :(

I have The Witcher and Dragon Age sitting on my desk. I have to finish Divinity 2. I just bought Gothic 2 Gold to play again... I still have Dungeons to play...

Clydefrog said:
I hate how I spend all my gaming time playing TF2. I want to play other games, but everytime I log onto Steam I always click on TF2. :(

I have The Witcher and Dragon Age sitting on my desk. I have to finish Divinity 2. I just bought Gothic 2 Gold to play again... I still have Dungeons to play...
I still need to finish Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light, the game is great and all, but TF2 always ends up taking my playimte. =(

I'll uninstall it one of these days...

Orellio said:
Almost as bad as CTF.
In what way? It depends of the players in each team, I had many steamrolls and gotten steamrolled too. When there is a slatemate is because both team are evenly matched, engineers aren't as efficient due to the constant change in spawn rooms and heavies have to move much more.

Oreoleo

Sgt.Pepper said:
In what way? It depends of the players in each team, I had many steamrolls and gotten steamrolled too. When there is a slatemate is because both team are evenly matched, engineers aren't as efficient due to the constant change in spawn rooms and heavies have to move much more.

It is too much to expect/coordinate a team to both attack and defend at the same time (Even on a server like GAF). Engineers don't move up as points get capped. Medic/heavy pops uber only to have no one follow them into battle. Points get capped and lost constantly so you never run out of time. I find it to be a very unfulfilling and unfocused game mode.

Evlar

Banned
I enjoy King of the Hill quite a bit. Good, short matches, tons of action, dueling engies usually make for a dynamic match. I quite like Sawmill and the new koth_badlands.

Oreoleo

Evlar said:
I enjoy King of the Hill quite a bit. Good, short matches, tons of action, dueling engies usually make for a dynamic match. I quite like Sawmill and the new koth_badlands.

I'm a big fan of KOTH, I wish we played it more. Focusing on one point keeps the action up. I think Viaduct is my favorite though.

Orellio said:
The new one? Lakeside? I actually don't like that one much either..
Yes, I hate it a lot. It doesn't give me the fun any other KOTH gives me. I think it must be that unlike most KOTH I play (at least from my experience) it involves too many gunslinger engineers which annoys me greatly. Playing as Scout is a pain in the ass in that map.

Blizzard

Banned
I like lakeside. And I don't like 5-point capture maps (for most of the reasons oreo said, long running distances, 25-minute cold front rounds, etc.). And I'm happy they finally made another map with semi-Egyptian architecture! No one likes Egypt presumably so it seems we hardly ever get nice visual variety like that.

Also, anything that annoys scouts is a positive thing in my book since I rarely play scout. :p

I love KOTH--especially when it's Sawmill and Harvest. I love when we play those.

I also really like playing CP on the Mountain lab (?) map. The last point is always an interesting one.

Clydefrog

KOTH_Harvest and Sawmill are too played out for me :( KOTH_Viaduct is where its at!

I didn't know today was 'lets talk about maps' day!

Tomorrow will probably be 'I got this hat today!' day

dragonlife29 said:
I don't remember Viaduct by name. Is that the one whose middle CP is surrounded by shipping containers?
The one with snow, the point is up a hill and theres a building on both sides of the map.

Blizzard

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
The one with snow, the point is up a hill and theres a building on both sides of the map.
It's probably my favorite KOTH map besides maybe harvest or any other KOTH map! For some reason it's also one of my favorite sniper maps since you can get up on either the left OR right hills and try to hit people running down below.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
I definitely agree about KOTH. Viaduct is a great map, but I'd also enjoy harvest a lot. Sawmill and Nucleus are okay.

I agree with what you said Oreo about 5 point maps. I enjoy them, but agree with you about the coordination and how they can just get really really stuck sometimes. I enjoy Well, Granary, and Coldfront (yes, I have heard stories about the 40 minute deadlock, but the past 2 times we've played, they turned into some pretty enjoyable rounds).

I also agree about how payload maps can get pretty tedious because I feel like that's what we play most often. I enjoy Goldrush, Badwater, Hoodoo, Thundermountain, Upwards, and Hightower, but when we play almost all of them every night, bleh. Even Steel can be tiresome but it's definitely a server favorite and there have been some great games on there. The ultimate overtime comeback from a few weeks back?

KotH is probably my 3rd favorite mode behind A/D and PL. Viaduct, lakeside, sawmill, harvest (non event), nucleus, and koth_badlands are all great maps.

leroidys

Sgt.Pepper said:
Yes, I hate it a lot. It doesn't give me the fun any other KOTH gives me. I think it must be that unlike most KOTH I play (at least from my experience) it involves too many gunslinger engineers which annoys me greatly. Playing as Scout is a pain in the ass in that map.

Yeah I don't really like Lakeside either. It's ok... but there is essentially only a single venue of battle on the map which makes it very uninteresting. It's different at least, but not in a good way.

They're translating some new hats and some new sets for an update happening soonish...

From the Steam Translation Server

New hats

Pocket Medic Misc
Heavy Luchador Hat
Scout Hoodie
Potato hat is getting the uncovered hat as a style
"Splendid Screen" 4 style available
"Villain's Veil" 2 styles

New weapons

Desert Sniper
Desert Demo (no polycount entry)
Mean Medicine (no polycount entry)
Junkyard Justice (no polycount entry)
Black Market Heavy

New Minigun, called the Goal Keeper, that can destroy projectiles in mid air

Beta Syringe gun is called the Overdose

New unusuals
Red Balloon, Green Beany, Beany Hearts, Beany Targets, Beany TF logo, Glowing Halo and Storm Cloud particles

New gameplay modes
Raid Mode and Specialty. No info given on them

Misc
"Custom Textures" a badge that lets you import an image to put on a badge
"Paint Effects"
New hats have styles

These are merely strings of text that have to be translated, so there isn't much as far as content goes. Links to actual items is speculation.

I'll update as I get more info. This is coming from a chat server and someone who is in the translation program

String dump may be coming soon

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Arena, with a one minute time limit after the capture point is open, is my favourite mode of play. You eliminate a lot of things like suicide Pyros, and fail Spies quickly. And it helps in CTF/PL/KOTH later, learning how not to die.

Instant respawn servers, any map type, are horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom