• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Baha said:
Mandatory updates for TF2, CS:S, DoD:S, and HL2: DM coming today according to the hlds mailing list (source). May or may not be related to the new items.

[Beaten]
I hacked into the Valve servers and found it:

- Fixed a bug where the game crashes when wearing a Hustler's Hallmark on custom Payload maps
-Made promo items paintable and tradeable
- Uploaded LODs for Fishcake
- -50% damage on all stock items

mojiimbo said:
Anyone know if the PvZ items are limited promo items or if they'll always be there if you buy the game down the road on Steam? Thanks.
Dunno but why wait? The game is on sale for real cheap now.

Melhisedek said:
Any tips for a newb? What maps should I start with? Any EU based server you guys can recommend?
It may seem intimidating at first but it really does have a nice learning curve.

Just start with Heavy, soldier, and medic at first. Know how to use the uber as medic.

As you learn more playing with those classes, expand into other classes as they interest you.

Don't worry about dying. Most TF2 lifetimes are measured in seconds.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
mojiimbo said:
Anyone know if the PvZ items are limited promo items or if they'll always be there if you buy the game down the road on Steam? Thanks.
It's less than 4 dollars and definitely worth it to get it now.

mojiimbo

speculawyer said:
Dunno but why wait? The game is on sale for real cheap now.
I already have the game on iPhone, iPad and 360 and I'm already expecting to buy Mass Effect, Dead Space and Bad Company 2 as EA puts them on sale this week so I'm not really in a hurry to buy the game for a fourth time if the items aren't limited. Most promotional items that I can think of didn't stick around but I figured I'd ask here since I can't find anything definitive on the Steam page or on the PvZ Steam forums.

Also, can anyone recommend a guide to the TF2 drop economy for someone new to the game? I understand that you can get a certain maximum amount of drops per week but I'm more interested in learning more about the basics of how crafting works or how valuable certain items are. Thanks.

Baha

mojiimbo said:
I already have the game on iPhone, iPad and 360 and I'm already expecting to buy Mass Effect, Dead Space and Bad Company 2 as EA puts them on sale this week so I'm not really in a hurry to buy the game for a fourth time if the items aren't limited. Most promotional items that I can think of didn't stick around but I figured I'd ask here since I can't find anything definitive on the Steam page or on the PvZ Steam forums.

Also, can anyone recommend a guide to the TF2 drop economy for someone new to the game? I understand that you can get a certain maximum amount of drops per week but I'm more interested in learning more about the basics of how crafting works or how valuable certain items are. Thanks.

Crafting FAQ & recipes here - http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Crafting

As for hat value, unless you're a collector you should stick to obtaining hats you want. There's a Trading sub forum on the SPUF you can check for more info on hat/paint/tag/metal value if you check the stickied topics - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=952

[EDIT]Replaced Crafting wiki url since previous link had missing ingredients for the recipes.

Item Drop System FAQ - http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Drop_System

Forkball

mojiimbo said:
You get six to twelve drops each week, not counting crates. The drops cap out after eleven hours of play time per week, although you will probably hit your limit before this. Drops also carry over, so if you didn't play for a week, you will have more drops the following week.

For crafting, you can craft two items from the same class to get scrap metal. Three scrap metal can be crafted into one reclaimed. Three reclaimed can be crafted into one refined. You can also craft three items with any common feature (class, primary, secondary, melee etc.) to get a token. So if you craft three Medic weapons, you get a medic token. People use these if they want to craft something specific. For example, it takes four refined to craft a random hat, but if you use four refined a medic token, you will only craft a medic hat. Honestly, most of the time it is not worth it and people really only use tokens for new items if they want them immediately instead of trading or waiting for a drop.

The value of items depends. Items that have a high craft recipe (like the Sun-on-a-Stick is a Boston Basher and two reclaimed) are obviously worth more and are less likely to drop. For items with no crafting recipes you can easily trade them 1:1, but to get something that requires more metal to craft, you will probably have to trade a weapon that has a similar crafting recipe or metal. For paints, they range anywhere from one reclaimed to one refined depending on their rarity and demand. Colors like white, black, and Team Spirit are the most expensive while something like beige isn't.

Hats are like their own little world when it comes to trading. It takes four refined to craft a hat, but honestly few people do that as you can pretty much trade for any hat for less. Two refined can get you most hats, and one refined can get you less-wanted hats. What many people do is build up two refined, trade them for two hats, and then craft it hoping to get something worth a damn.

Baha

Forkball said:
You get six to twelve drops each week, not counting crates. The drops cap out after eleven hours of play time per week, although you will probably hit your limit before this. Drops also carry over, so if you didn't play for a week, you will have more drops the following week.

For crafting, you can craft two items from the same class to get scrap metal. Three scrap metal can be crafted into one reclaimed. Three reclaimed can be crafted into one refined. You can also craft three items with any common feature (class, primary, secondary, melee etc.) to get a token. So if you craft three Medic weapons, you get a medic token. People use these if they want to craft something specific. For example, it takes four refined to craft a random hat, but if you use four refined a medic token, you will only craft a medic hat. Honestly, most of the time it is not worth it and people really only use tokens for new items if they want them immediately instead of trading or waiting for a drop.

The value of items depends. Items that have a high craft recipe (like the Sun-on-a-Stick is a Boston Basher and two reclaimed) are obviously worth more and are less likely to drop. For items with no crafting recipes you can easily trade them 1:1, but to get something that requires more metal to craft, you will probably have to trade a weapon that has a similar crafting recipe or metal. For paints, they range anywhere from one reclaimed to one refined depending on their rarity and demand. Colors like white, black, and Team Spirit are the most expensive while something like beige isn't.

Hats are like their own little world when it comes to trading. It takes four reclaimed to craft a hat, but honestly few people do that as you can pretty much trade for any hat for less. Two refined can get you most hats, and one refined can get you less-wanted hats. What many people do is build up two refined, trade them for two hats, and then craft it hoping to get something worth a damn.

I wish :(

They are promo items so I doubt you will get them later, and the offer ends at 7 PM EST today.

Edit: Do people really pay $20 for earbuds? omg

Baha

Sgt.Pepper said:
They are promo items so I doubt you will get them later, and the offer ends at 7 PM EST today.

Edit: Do people really pay $20 for earbuds? omg

People pay $90 or so for Max's Head. Trading has gotten really ugly if you want to collect every hat out there.

Baha said:
People pay $90 or so for Max's Head. Trading has gotten really ugly if you want to collect every hat out there.

$90 for a Max's Head is a deal. You basically can't be OCD about the game anymore, even if you ignore all the various unusuals.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Kulock said:
$90 for a Max's Head is a deal. You basically can't be OCD about the game anymore, even if you ignore all the various unusuals.

Yea, when I was looking at selling mine $110 was pretty standard price. That was only a few months ago. The real-money market got really messy and beat up though, lot of scammers and trouble, so I don't know how things are now.

After the summer I won't be able to play TF2, so I'm thinking of selling my stuff and making a cool $450 or so. Crazy that you can get that from digital items.

speculawyer said:
It may seem intimidating at first but it really does have a nice learning curve.

Just start with Heavy, soldier, and medic at first. Know how to use the uber as medic.

As you learn more playing with those classes, expand into other classes as they interest you.

Don't worry about dying. Most TF2 lifetimes are measured in seconds.

How many players on map should I go for? I don't want it to be overcrowded or empty :) Like in CS I felt 10v10 and less was maximum and less players worked even better

Clydefrog

opticalmace said:
After the summer I won't be able to play TF2, so I'm thinking of selling my stuff and making a cool $450 or so. Crazy that you can get that from digital items.

Early in the 2000s, I sold my Ultima Online account on ebay and made over $700!

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Melhisedek said:
How many players on map should I go for? I don't want it to be overcrowded or empty :) Like in CS I felt 10v10 and less was maximum and less players worked even better

10v10 is actually pretty good. 12v12 is the max on sane servers. Below 7v7 you're at a point where every player matters a ton.

Oreoleo

CoffeeJanitor said:
When do you gents play at? New TF2-er here.
Most nights it's around 9est but for whatever reason this week we've been getting started a little later than that. 10-10:30ish most likely.

When the GAF server is empty you can usually find a couple of us on the Gibbed Gaming server if you're really jonesin' for a fix.

Edit: join the tf2-GAF steam group cause we almost always throw out an event/announcement when we get going.

Why everytime I type something on the console mid-game I get back to the game. I can't type crap and it keeps sending me back to the game. >_>

I'm trying to practice rocket jump with the hurtme -99999 command on my own server.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
That PvZ promo was kinda short lived, not to mention unadvertised. It's back to $9.99.

Did they even mention it on the blog? http://www.teamfortress.com/

Thankfully I already had the game.

Oreoleo

Achievements! (Oh god there's one for 100k Youtube views. How am I supposed to farm that?!)

Hats! (1000 Youtube views oh lawd)

Taunts!

Those cheeky bastards :U

Yeef

Updating server...

Server's not done yet, but I'm thinking with as janky as the server is I'm not sure enabling replays is the best idea... but I'm going to do it anyway!

Hell yes, the Replay editor in the beta is awesome. It's also nice when you had a "WTF killed me" moment, without recording demos of every single moment of play.

corn_fest

This is new, right?

6SzdM.png

3Rxqw.png

Comic's art is looking pretty nice this time. Still a little iffy about the direction they've gone with backstory and such, but it was still a decent read.

Is Pauling using a Big Kill at the end, or is it just the color that's throwing me off?

Forkball

Restart Steam, I didn't get the update until I did that. Full patch notes.

Known issue with blurry Mac replay rendering will be fixed in the next update

Launched the First Annual Saxxy Awards: http://www.teamfortress.com/saxxyawards
Added 8 new Replay achievements
Added 10 new hats
Added The Director's Vision, an item that provides you with a new taunt
Fixed a problem with certain equippable items rendering incorrectly on the loadout screen
Fixed a problem causing the Mann Co. store previews to render incorrectly
Crafted items will now remember/display who crafted them
Added a reward for the early crafters of new items
Added a new style to the Aperture Labs Hard Hat
Added a new style to the Blighted Beak
Fixed bugs with the refurbish items interface so that some properties will no longer be un-removable under certain circumstances
Fixed the briefcase not being drawn on players when it's being carried in CTF maps
Fixed the Gloves of Running Urgently not using the correct skin in the character loadout screen
Fixed the Kritzkrieg not drawing the correct model in the character loadout screen
Fixed the Horseless Headless Horsemann displaying the burning material in DirectX8
Fixed the Aperture Labs Hard Hat displaying the burning material in DirectX8
Fixed removing the burning/jarated conditions on players who are being critboosted by a Medic using the Kritzkrieg
Added Mad Milk to the conditions that are cleared when players are made invulnerable by a Medic with an ÜberCharge
For web developers: added tool and capability information to the IEconItems_440/GetSchema Web API

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu where's my sniper update valve!!!

I will be like Godard and only film in French New Wave style. [but i am horrible spy =(]

corn_fest

So, looks like we're getting Meet the Medic, the new items and stuff in two weeks (based on the last page of the comic saying "to be continued in the Saxxy Awards."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom