• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

I remember an hour+ hightower game that we had (before the cart change). It was like the second map of the night and afterward everyone quit.

And Twig is wrong about Hightower being the best official map. I don't know if I could pick a favorite, but I like Thunder mountain a lot.

Pretty sure it was this one:

15i7vcx.jpg

[Edit] On further inspect, it wasn't that one. The one I remember was only one round, not 3. It must've been before I set it to auto screencap the scoreboard.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
I'm going to guess that you weren't playing either then. Surely someone else (Java?) remembers the 30-45 minute Hightower game(s)? :/ I think Java was even getting sick of it after the second or third time it happened.
I believe you that it happened. But I don't believe you that it's a big problem!

And nothing you say will convince me otherwise, Mister Negativity.

Yeef said:
And Twig is wrong about Hightower being the best official map. I don't know if I could pick a favorite, but I like Thunder mountain a lot.
I haven't played Thunder Mountain enough yet to really judge it (no one ever voted for it, despite my best efforts to encourage it), but the very last point is shit.

Yeef

Twig said:
I haven't played Thunder Mountain enough yet to really judge it (no one ever voted for it, despite my best efforts to encourage it), but the very last point is shit.
Heresy!

Hightower is desinged almost like an arena or koth level, so stalemates are at least fun compared to something like Dustbowl or Goldrush where you end up stalemated in some shitty chokepoint for 10+ minutes.

And Thunder Mountain has two good stages, but that final one is terrible. Map should've ended after the 2nd stage is won.

Twig

Banned
Confidence Man said:
Hightower is desinged almost like an arena or koth level, so stalemates are at least fun compared to something like Dustbowl or Goldrush where you end up stalemated in some shitty chokepoint for 10+ minutes.
Exactly. KOTH is my other favorite map mode. For that exact reason.

In theory, CTF should feel at least similar enough to me in that regard, but in practice, most of those maps are way too closed off and just result in boring stalemates.

Exception: Doublecross, the awesomest.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I like stage 3 a lot, but I don't think I have ever seen defense win on it

I also tend not to like CTF since IMO the stages are a tad to maze like for me, and I haven't really played enough of them to know where to go.

Its like a Catch 22, I don't play the maps because I don't know where to go, but I don't know where to go because I don't play the maps.

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
I also tend not to like CTF since IMO the stages are a tad to maze like for me, and I haven't really played enough of them to know where to go.
That's why Doublecross is great.

It's wide open, has multiple paths to the intel - as opposed to what appears to be multiple paths on 2fort but always inevitably takes you right near their spawn, etc. and can be guarded by a mere two sentries in the right spot. Hell, even one would do it in many cases. (You know the spot.)

animlboogy said:
Are you on the GAF server? I had a lot of fun playing with these guys yesterday even though I've had very little opportunity to play TF2, so I'm kind of shit at it.

Make sure to add the GAF TF2 group on Steam and pop in when the events start.

I've added the GAF server to my favourites and joined the group, but the trouble is that I'm in Australia so the timezones and pings might not be suitable. Still, I'll certainly check if there's anything happening GAF-side when I jump on to play :)

Yeah, Australia might not be the best time to play. I'm from the states and when I raided with an Aussie guild in WoW the raid times were at 2:00 am. Had to go to bed early back in those days. :D They would never tell me what the guild name was about though. Still don't know what a dropbear is.

Yeef

Nolimit_SS said:
Tomorrow I'm trading one game for TF2(gifted on steam), any tips for new player? Tried it once when it was free for a weekend.
Play on good servers and not bad servers*

* Bad servers are servers with a higher than normal player limit and instant respawn times.

Nolimit_SS said:
Tomorrow I'm trading one game for TF2(gifted on steam), any tips for new player? Tried it once when it was free for a weekend.

Everyone is a Spy. You're probably a Spy and you just don't realize it yet.

Twig

Banned
Yeef said:

* Bad servers are servers with a higher than normal player limit and instant respawn times.
Only the bolded.

But 32 player servers are more chaotic and much harder to do well, especially if you're new.

Also avoid 2fort because it's terrible.

(._.)

Banned
32 player servers are the best. All the best servers are capped at 32-33 and I would recommend just jumping straight into them since it really isn't that big of a deal in TF2. Instant respawn however is something to avoid. The game is balanced at 24 but works just fine for 32. You become a better player on 32 also.

Yeef said:

Will do, got a friend from here that plays so I'll go with him.

Kulock said:
Everyone is a Spy. You're probably a Spy and you just don't realize it yet.

Love the spy :p

moojito

If you load up an offline game, one of the spy names is GENTLEMANNE of LEISURE which pretty much sums up how awesome spies are. Alas, I suck at spying.

Also, respawn timers are all fair and well for balanced games, but when you just want to get the core mechanics of a class down, knock yourself out with some insta respawn 2fort. Just don't think that's what tf2 is all about.

Yeef

moojito said:
If you load up an offline game, one of the spy names is GENTLEMANNE of LEISURE which pretty much sums up how awesome spies are. Alas, I suck at spying.
When you play offline practice the game just picks from a pool of names for the bots. CLass has nothing to do with it. I once had a Heavy named GENTLEMANNE of LEISURE and we all know heavies are smelly and oafish.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
32p servers make you learn how to constantly scan around because attacks can, and usually do, come from everywhere at the same time. 24p servers are more normalized and honestly are the best way to improve your aim and learn how the game plays.

I try to play on both depending on my mood.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Clydefrog said:
I'll probably rejoin after this Iowa - Arizona football game. better not be hightower.
Java is experimenting with rotation right now (he expects us to quickly hate it, I don't think we are hating it though), so it shouldn't come up again tonight.

Twig

Banned
Don't worry. I kill everyone. If it's any consolation your name is fun to say but I have no idea what it means.

Clydefrog said:
I'll probably rejoin after this Iowa - Arizona football game. better not be hightower.
We're all done now.

I'm sorry you don't like our Monocast. ):

Yeef

Schmattakopf said:
I played for once.

Twig killed me.

):
I think I killed you a lot more than Twig, silly Scout. Also, I noticed that you changed to sniper to try and counter snipe me. It's very flattering, because I am a terrible sniper.

n0b

Drkirby said:
Java is experimenting with rotation right now (he expects us to quickly hate it, I don't think we are hating it though), so it shouldn't come up again tonight.

I am loving it.

Hii everyoneee.

Twig said:
Don't worry. I kill everyone. If it's any consolation your name is fun to say but I have no idea what it means.
Raghead.

Yeef said:
I think I killed you a lot more than Twig, silly Scout. Also, I noticed that you changed to sniper to try and counter snipe me. It's very flattering, because I am a terrible sniper.
Everyone killed me many times. :lol I spend most of my time dying.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Schmattakopf said:
Raghead.

Everyone killed me many times. :lol I spend most of my time dying.
I know how you feel, I have 77 hours of TF2 played, but when you add up all the time I played any of the classes, I only have 35 hours :lol

Twig

Banned
Last night was amazing because I got to play maps I hadn't seen for ages and the server didn't empty until the usual time (about 10-11pm PST).

In fact, we even started EARLY, and kept going and going! It was awesome. We still played Goldrush, Dustbowl, Steel, Badwater, but because they were interspersed among many other maps, it was much more fun.

I'm also ecstatic that RTV never actually succeeds because 1) n0b tells me it would reset the rotation and 2) we actually get to play the maps because most people don't actually care that much. It's more a matter of, when presented with a list, they always vote for the same ones because they're the favorites, but when forced onto a map via rotation, most people are perfectly happy just playing that map until the next one rolls along.

also i finally broke fifty hours on spy woo

(._.)

Banned
Twig said:
Last night was amazing because I got to play maps I hadn't seen for ages and the server didn't empty until the usual time (about 10-11pm PST).

In fact, we even started EARLY, and kept going and going! It was awesome. We still played Goldrush, Dustbowl, Steel, Badwater, but because they were interspersed among many other maps, it was much more fun.

I'm also ecstatic that RTV never actually succeeds because 1) n0b tells me it would reset the rotation and 2) we actually get to play the maps because most people don't actually care that much. It's more a matter of, when presented with a list, they always vote for the same ones because they're the favorites, but when forced onto a map via rotation, most people are perfectly happy just playing that map until the next one rolls along.

also i finally broke fifty hours on spy woo
Goldrush was a disaster when I was on but I had a lot of fun. Liked that it started early.

Twig

Banned
(._.) said:
Goldrush was a disaster when I was on but I had a lot of fun. Liked that it started early.
Hah, yeah, it didn't go well. I still had fun, though. But maybe that's just because I was a spy and I had a vendetta against Dog the Pyro. U:

Kamaki

Played with you guys for once, well except for that brief stint on an empty server. I was the medic running around not really doing very much. :lol Shame about my ping otherwise I'd join in more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom