• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

I just went to get something to eat, expecting to come back to a full server and now everyone is gone.

Oh, well, I will play other games.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Why does my soldier say "thanks soldier" to the medic when he gets healed now? He's not a solider, he doesn't even have a helmet.

Proven

Borgnine said:
Why does my soldier say "thanks soldier" to the medic when he gets healed now? He's not a solider, he doesn't even have a helmet.
He doesn't mean "Soldier" as in the class, he means "soldier" as in another teammate on the battlefield of epic war.

Weenerz

Banned
This double drop weekly is just silly. I left the game running all night in text mode and when checking this morning, I have 26 new items lol. No hats though, fuck!

DarkKyo

Weenerz said:
This double drop weekly is just silly. I left the game running all night in text mode and when checking this morning, I have 26 new items lol. No hats though, fuck!
I idled on my new alt account last night and wow... only got 4 items(must have been kicked from server early) but one of them was Teddy Roosebelt! Score!

Also before bed I played on my main account last night and got the Baker Boy for scout. So I've gotten two hats already.

Weenerz

Banned
I just set my launch options with

Code:
-textmode -novid -nosound -nopreload +map_background ctf_2fort

And either watched a movie or played another game. Basically idled in my own server.

Baha

Ceebs said:
Double hat drop this week.

Of course I got a Sergent's Drill Cap and a Pyro beanie >_>

At least you can craft those 2 hats together, all I got was an engy's cap on my 2nd tf2 account.

Ceebs

Baha said:
At least you can craft those 2 hats together, all I got was an engy's cap on my 2nd tf2 account.
Yeah gonna save them til the update in case there are some new hats. Also trying to trade away some of my good but unused hats for metal or 2 crappy craftable hats.

Exuro

I left it overnight, got a bunch(34) of crappy items but before I left it going I got that googly gazer item for engy so I'm pretty happy. Should be able to make quite a bit of metal.

So is the drop rate sped up or is it doubled so I can play twice as long and still get items?

Ceebs

Sgt.Pepper said:
Damn, I've gotten 11 items and 1 hat. This double drop rate is pretty awesome.
They should just keep it at this rate. New players would get their items super fast and it would murder all the outlandish exchange rates for hat trading.

Exuro said:
So is the drop rate sped up or is it doubled so I can play twice as long and still get items?

Instead of getting items every 45-60 minutes, now they drop every 20-30 minutes. Same amount of time, just more items in that time.

Ceebs said:
They should just keep it at this rate. New players would get their items super fast and it would murder all the outlandish exchange rates for hat trading.
Yeah, I can get easily some ref with those extra weapons. With the normal drop rate it takes like 2-3 weeks to get enough scraps for 1 ref, to me at least, for a new player it would take a LOT more.

The "inflation" on hat is getting ridiculous, but wouldn't the faster acquisition of scraps devalue the metal (once again)?

So I crafted the Soldier's Tank Buster set--that took a long time because I needed the appropriate drops to get dupes for crafting, crafted the three weapons, one dupe for the hat, and amassed all of the metal required--and it sucks. I've played my worst rounds as a soldier in a good long while using that set.

jaundicejuice said:
So I crafted the Soldier's Tank Buster set--that took a long time because I needed the appropriate drops to get dupes for crafting, crafted the three weapons, one dupe for the hat, and amassed all of the metal required--and it sucks. I've played my worst rounds as a soldier in a good long while using that set.
Especially now since the Battalion's Backup requirement increased, it used to fill very quickly, now you have to received enough damage to die twice.

Twig

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Well, of course it sucks. You're using the Black Box. Worst soldier weapon in the game.

Exuro

I was able to craft 7 refined metals. Got 2 medic items, the German Gonzila and the Blighted Beak. I don't play medic that often but I really like the mask. The hat is kind of bland but eh I don't have it so it works out. That makes 1 hat and two misc face items for me this week. Feels good.

Apath

So I am kind of new to this game. I've had it since the Orange Box was released, but I didn't play it much, and when I did, I sucked horribly. Recently I've been playing it a lot however, and find myself liking the Payload game type a lot. I mostly play Heavy, but I'll occasionally play Spy. If someone wants to play with me (and maybe give some tips/show me the ropes a bit ^_^) I'd really appreciate it.

STEAM ID: Kenak

EDIT: As heavy I usually go positive by a fair amount. As spy I tend to break even. (K/D)

Ceebs said:
New players like me are completely oblivious to the crafting system. Outside of the hat and engineer wrench, I have no idea what anything I get is for. One looked like a giant crate full of explosives or something.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Kenak said:
EDIT: As heavy I usually go positive by a fair amount. As spy I tend to break even. (K/D)

Protip: K/D does not matter. Your focus needs to be on the objective, killing one guy to secure the objective matters a ton more than killing 5 irrelevant guys.

But you're Heavy, so dakka dakka.

Proven

jaundicejuice said:
It takes a lot of practice to get used to the Black Box as well as the Battalion's Backup. I've been running it a lot for the past three months while saving up scrap to craft the hat (pretty much whenever I'm Soldier going offense on an A/D map). I'd say I'm about decent with it, but part of it is thanks to the fact that I'm already used to playing without a shotgun.
Kenak said:
New players like me are completely oblivious to the crafting system. Outside of the hat and engineer wrench, I have no idea what anything I get is for. One looked like a giant crate full of explosives or something.
Save up the items (you have a ton of slots anyway), try stuff out at your own pace, and after a month ask around here or check the wiki for some recipes, or to trade for stuff you've seen and you'd like to try. Not a lot of people around her play Heavy too much, so people will be more than willing to trade stuff with you.

Apath

Charron said:
Protip: K/D does not matter. Your focus needs to be on the objective, killing one guy to secure the objective matters a ton more than killing 5 irrelevant guys.

But you're Heavy, so dakka dakka.
Dunno. Nothing to me is more fun than standing at a ledge overlooking the train, and just raining bullets onto the enemy team as they scramble for the platform. The only thing that compares is switching to a spy to take out those damn annoying snipers.

I see your point though.

Ceebs

Proven said:
It takes a lot of practice to get used to the Black Box as well as the Battalion's Backup. I've been running it a lot for the past three months while saving up scrap to craft the hat (pretty much whenever I'm Soldier going offense on an A/D map). I'd say I'm about decent with it, but part of it is thanks to the fact that I'm already used to playing without a shotgun.

Save up the items (you have a ton of slots anyway), try stuff out at your own pace, and after a month ask around here or check the wiki for some recipes, or to trade for stuff you've seen and you'd like to try. Not a lot of people around her play Heavy too much, so people will be more than willing to trade stuff with you.
The best heavy loadout IMO is the default minigun and a Sandvich plus whatever melee you fancy now that the Fists of Steel have been nerfed down from OP.

Spy on the other hand has tons of options for him to mess around with.

corn_fest

Ceebs said:
The best heavy loadout IMO is the default minigun and a Sandvich plus whatever melee you fancy now that the Fists of Steel have been nerfed down from OP.
The steak sandvich is a good option too, since you heal the same amount as the default sandvich when thrown (the only proper way to use the sandvich anyway), plus you can use it like the GRU if necessary.

Baha

If you're going to use the Battalion's backup, use the Pain Train as well for the bullet dmg debuff so you can build rage faster. Atm the Battalion's Backup is is only good for countering the Kritzkrieg or random crits (when it's active of course).

dragonlife29 said:
Ohhh. I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't know that (I haven't tried those items yet). Thanks.
Buff banner is the only one worth it. Conqueror is okaish and Battalion's Backup was very nerfed. The extra offensive power for you and your teammates is great.

I used yesterday in the neogaf server while on gorge with Doug. Got some nasty kills!

DogWelder

Sgt.Pepper said:
Buff banner is the only one worth it. Conqueror is okaish and Battalion's Backup was very nerfed. The extra offensive power for you and your teammates is great.

I used yesterday in the neogaf server while on gorge with Doug. Got some nasty kills!
No-one would want to use Battalion's Backup anyways, since it doesn't provide points.

I went back to using Buff Banner for a bit, but I gotta say, I think Gunboats soldier is much better in most circumstances.

esc said:
No-one would want to use Battalion's Backup anyways, since it doesn't provide points.

I went back to using Buff Banner for a bit, but I gotta say, I think Gunboats soldier is much better in most circumstances.
I guess it depends on the map, gorge doesn't have many places to rocket jump and it is kind of tight, buff banner worked great for me yesterday.

yeoz

esc said:
For the most part, I use Gunboats. Being highly mobile has huge advantages.
But, it's still a difficult tossup for me between Gunboats and the shotgun on the neogaf server, because with bullet spread off on there, more shotgun pellets tend to hit...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
esc said:

People don't use a weapon just due to points? I don't care that much about a score, I just want to win the round.

Personally I don't like the Battalion's Backup or Buff Banner due to the long charge period. I tend to use the conch if anything.

Proven

I've been Buff Banner/Battalion's Backup since each weapon's inception, with some time taken to get into the Backup. The Backup is great for any push as a mini uber for your whole team makes it easy to get people to push with you and help take out a Sentry.

The Conch is the only one now I can't use effectively. Most of the time I want to use it I'm in a situation I'd prefer the Banner or the Backup instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom