• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
I went to bed disappointed in the lack of secret update, now I'm annoyed that the engineer didn't get new toys.
lol they should give him like a shotgun with 10+ damage that would be totally awesome XD UGUUU

DarkKyo

The update still feels so far away... tonight around 5-7 is gonna be hell just sitting around in anticipation, checking to see if Steam is updating any games.

I know what I'll do until then:
64tGf.jpg

Goon Boon

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
I want a Shotgun that can remove sappers from afar. Is that too much to ask? D=
Alternatively, a decoy dispenser that explodes when sapped, downside being it has to stay at level 1 would be amazing.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
I want a Shotgun that can remove sappers from afar. Is that too much to ask? D=
Yes.

There was a thread on SPUF where someone had an interesting idea for an alternate teleporter. Basically, instead of teleporting you, standing on it gincreases your speed to that of a scout until you either fire or take damage. The idea was for it to replace the normal teleporter for gunslinger engineers.

Clydefrog

Thoraxes said:
Haha, was just about to post that. I take it you're in that thread too?
Also, click the Pyro head on the whiteboard at the top of the page to find the hidden update.
I really hope they're trolling about no Engineer items >.>
yT6uV.jpg

Wait, it looks like a new item, but it says it's an alt-fire for the flare gun. Doesn't that just mean right-click instead of left-click your flare gun? Sorry, I haven't played TF2 beta.

DarkKyo

Clydefrog said:
Wait, it looks like a new item, but it says it's an alt-fire for the flare gun. Doesn't that just mean right-click instead of left-click your flare gun? Sorry, I haven't played TF2 beta.
This is a new flare gun that has an alt fire in the same way that the demo's sticky launcher has an alt fire(detonate stickes).

Baha

Clydefrog said:

It's essentially a new flaregun, it doesn't replace the existing flare gun.

Clydefrog

Dechaios said:
This is a new flare gun that has an alt fire in the same way that the demo's sticky launcher has an alt fire(detonate stickes).

Ah I see. More items. My backpack is going to be full of just regular items let alone duplicates!

Yeef

I added ctf_aerospace to the server. This was one of the first custom maps I ever played and I remember enjoying it, so let's see how it holds up. As always you can download it beforehand or just let the server send it to you if it comes up.

I also rolled back the scramble plugin. For some reason the pre-scramble wasn't working in the newest version, so I went back to the old version.

I also preemptively added Barn Blitz to the nomination menu. It won't work until the update so don't even bother nominating it until then. Chances are the update will hit before anyone joins the server anyway.

Yeef said:
I added ctf_aerospace to the server. This was one of the first custom maps I ever played and I remember enjoying it, so let's see how it holds up. As always you can download it beforehand or just let the server send it to you if it comes up.

I also rolled back the scramble plugin. For some reason the pre-scramble wasn't working in the newest version, so I went back to the old version.

I also preemptively added Barn Blitz to the nomination menu. It won't work until the update so don't even bother nominating it until then. Chances are the update will hit before anyone joins the server anyway.
So many maps we haven't played, but NOOOOoooo. You guys have to play hightower and thundermountain everyday!

I say we, nay, DEMAND we have custom maps nights.

yeoz

Yeef said:
Any chance we can get pre-scramble friendly fire? :D It'd be fun!
-- that is, friendly fire is on before scramble, and turned off once the scramble has happened.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
So many maps we haven't played, but NOOOOoooo. You guys have to play hightower and thundermountain everyday!

We've had a few custom map nights before and every night or two we generally end up playing at least one custom. I've ran through most of the maps and lots of them are good, but some of them are really, really not good. I generally don't discriminate when it comes to putting maps on the server (vast majority of the maps are from TF2 Maps contests). Worst case scenario is we just don't play those maps. It's no big deal. There are some custom maps that I wouldn't mind adding to the normal list, but I don't like the idea of forcing people to download stuff so regularly.

[EDIT]
yeoz said:
Any chance we can get pre-scramble friendly fire? :D It'd be fun!
-- that is, friendly fire is on before scramble, and turned off once the scramble has happened.
I've seen that plugin on some other servers, but I'm not really a fan. The waiting for players time is only like 20 seconds anyway.

Evlar

Banned
I've been in crunch-time for 32 hours now with only an hour nap. I'm getting off work at 5, heading home, and playing the hell out of some Team Fortress.

DogWelder

Custom maps clear the server; if they get voted, they get voted, but they shouldn't be forced. We play ~10 different maps every night, and it's still not enough?

Edit: Proof:

Z244b.png

23 different maps played out of 39 total (Gold Rush is listed twice in a row cause of server jank). This was from the past week. And as much as n0b likes to complain that we only play payload, less than half are pl maps.

Sgt.Pepper said:

I like custom maps. But I love hightower. Hightower often has great come-backs. And it can have the funniest/longest games where it seems like no one will be able to get that final point.

Hightower also has things for every class
-Places for engie nests
-A cliff for pyros to blow people off.
-A payload cart for feeding heavies ammo
-long open space for sniping
-nooks & crannies for spies to cloak/uncloak
-A cart for demos to mine
-High tower for soldiers to rain rockets down from.

But the two hills for the carts are such the source of amusement.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
speculawyer said:
I like custom maps. But I love hightower. Hightower often has great come-backs. And it can have the funniest/longest games where it seems like no one will be able to get that final point.

-Places for engie nests

I think I actually liked it better when the map first came out. Super slow move speed, 3 Sentry guns, it took all you had to get up the hill.

Just really amusing. Likely would have gotten sick of it though after a few more matches.

speculawyer said:

-Places for engie nests

I like it too, but it gets tired playing those two maps each night. That's why custom maps are a saving grace, yet a double edge sword. Most people don't download the maps from Yeef's link, so most people leave when they come up, the exception being Cashworks.

In fact, I wish I knew a good custom maps server that has lots of people, that would be great.

Blizzard

Banned
speculawyer said:

-Places for engie nests

I don't really like hightower because:

• No time limit leading to literally 40-minute games if teams are even (unless that was fixed), no overtime, no auto-rolling carts, nothing.
  • One of the worst-performance/stutter maps?
  • 1+ engineer, especially with a pyro, can mean the hill requires a ton of teamwork to climb. Teamwork that is clearly impossible.
  • If one team is good and has 3+ demos (like last night), the other team's cart can go all the way around, while I think the first team's cart literally only made it to the X in the cart tracks.
In short, if it's even it can be incredibly long, putting 2fort to shame. If it's uneven, even scouts (and heavies?) bum-rushing the cart barely move it at all, while the other team uses demos, pyros, and/or engineers all over the place.

We got crushed the first game, worked long and hard the second game, maybe got the cart to the top of the hill finally, and still lost horribly. EVEN WITH OUR COMEBACK WE LOST BOTH GAMES. There was great despair, and sadness. And woe.

Ceebs

I think Thunder Mountain was the best map to come out of that 3 pack of Payload maps. Nice variety of payload courses in the 3 stages.

Blizzard

Banned
Ceebs said:
I think Thunder Mountain was the best map to come out of that 3 pack of Payload maps. Nice variety of payload courses in the 3 stages.
I like thunder mountain too, but it has too much thunder for some people's tastes.

Baha

Ceebs said:

I prefer Upward myself since Thunder Mountain feels like it overstays it's welcome after playing through the 3 maps once.

Also, why sometimes I get an achievement while doing nothing or not doing the whole requirements? I got Jarate Chop a few days ago, where I managed to kill two people and just hurt the third one (who got killed by a friendly Soldier). Or the Bonesaw, which I got on the GAF server, it says never miss which I did, and still got it.

Ceebs

Sgt.Pepper said:
Also, why sometimes I get an achievement while doing nothing or not doing the whole requirements? I got Jarate Chop a few days ago, where I managed to kill two people and just hurt the third one (who got killed by a friendly Soldier). Or the Bonesaw, which I got on the GAF server, it says never miss which I did, and still got it.
You can blame the last one on jank probably

Baha

The only real map change I'd like to see is making a different map the default load map for the server besides pl_badwater. Seems the only time I play it lately is when the server is starting to fill up so we only melee and don't play it seriously. I don't stay up very late though so maybe I miss it when it gets voted later.

Well, when the update hits we will play the new map when it is full then.

For the love of god, I hope we get the rumored "raid" mode. Or something else, if it is a single map, I'll be really disappointed.

Blizzard

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
Well, when the update hits we will play the new map when it is full then.

For the love of god, I hope we get the rumored "raid" mode. Or something else, if it is a single map, I'll be really disappointed.
I shall prepare you for disappointment with this prediction: Today's update will consist of two item sets for the medic, 1-2 maps, and no engineer items. YOUR MOVE.

Of course, meet the medic should also come out tonight, which will take away your disappointment.

Blizzard said:
I don't really like hightower because:

• No time limit leading to literally 40-minute games if teams are even (unless that was fixed), no overtime, no auto-rolling carts, nothing.
  • One of the worst-performance/stutter maps?
  • 1+ engineer, especially with a pyro, can mean the hill requires a ton of teamwork to climb. Teamwork that is clearly impossible.
  • If one team is good and has 3+ demos (like last night), the other team's cart can go all the way around, while I think the first team's cart literally only made it to the X in the cart tracks.
That can be a problem but it doesn't happen often. And when it does, it can be pretty funny. And an admin will eventually pull the plug if it goes beyond the funny point.

Sgt.Pepper said:
I like it too, but it gets tired playing those two maps each night. That's why custom maps are a saving grace, yet a double edge sword. Most people don't download the maps from Yeef's link, so most people leave when they come up, the exception being Cashworks.

In fact, I wish I knew a good custom maps server that has lots of people, that would be great.

I played on one a long time back, but it's half-and-half now.

Remy

Javaman said:
Yeef, you should set a password so only GAFers can get in.

Capital idea, Javamang.

Password has been set for tonight. It's our usual password, which if you don't already know, is that word up under the NeoGAF logo - the one in orange - but typed in all lower case.

DogWelder

AcciDante said:
And you guys should all play extra late tonight so I can play with you all after I get out of class.
Pshh, you're going to class on Uber Update day? NO-ONE WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU WHEN YOU COME BACK.

yeoz

MrOogieBoogie said:
Does GAF have a set time it plays each week? Just wondering.
Join the NeoGAF-TF2 group on steam. Someone usually sends an announcement out when we play. It's typically around 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT every day though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom