• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

1-D_FTW said:
So does everyone get massive choke on Java's server?

I exited out thinking my network settings were borked and changed them around. Then went to some other servers because it was full and I had it good. Would exit spawn at 0 and keep it in single digit spikes.

After a couple hours, finally got back onto Javas and my choke is at 50 again. I'm just wondering if I have lousy routing to the server, or it's that way for everyone.
Not my server. Remy is kind enough to foot the bill and he and Yeef do the main admining.

Zomba13

Anyone wanna swap my Cloak and Dagger for a Dead ringer? I seem to have accidentally turned mine into scrap while scrapping all my duplicate weapons. I'm on now if anyone is able to help me. (Zomba13)

EDIT: Never mine. Found a helpful player with a spare who needed something I had a spare of :D

Reknoc

I guess the GAF server is like the local pub you like going to because it's nice and you recognise people there. But now the local school kids have found out the barman doesn't ask for ID and... well I don't really know where I'm going with this... It gets full quickly I guess? Not that it bothers me too much since I rarely play anyway, I just set up auto-join and loaded up youtube to listen to Pogo remixes.

Like I said a few times already, the new update (Being FREE and all) brought a lot of people. Even non-gaffers since anyone who reads this thread knows the password. Two solutions, either get a new server, or you know, make announcements in the morning/afternoon. A bunch of gaffers play in other servers during those hours, no reason why the server should only be used on the evening.

Reknoc

The latter would be more ideal. I've found myself with the time so it doesn't matter that it usually starts at around 2am for me, but hopefully this will bring in more euro-GAF.

Oreoleo

Sgt.Pepper said:
Like I said a few times already, the new update (Being FREE and all) brought a lot of people. Even non-gaffers since anyone who reads this thread knows the password. Two solutions, either get a new server, or you know, make announcements in the morning/afternoon. A bunch of gaffers play in other servers during those hours, no reason why the server should only be used on the evening.

Announcements throughout the day is the way to go, I think. Tonight someone made an announcement at like 7:30 and the server was full in literally just a couple minutes. I really think once we get past the weekend and the summer sale starts up, everyone will have other games to play and the numbers will come back down a bit.

Edit: And maybe we should get a couple new people as admins in the TF2 GAF group to make those announcements. A handful of the current ones don't even play anymore.

I think I know a guy called ..piper, peeper, pyper? Something like that, that plays Soldier a lot.

o8Yz6.jpg

Yeef

I think the update may have borked some settings. We never got to play offense on steel even though maxrounds is set to 2 and from the looks of it we there was also 1 round on goldrush.

Ceebs said:
Thanks for that quick fix Yeoz. Pass those boots along to someone who plays soldier.
Good job as Medic tonight. The Quick-Fix is pretty fun, huh?

That said, I don't think people know when someone activates Uber with the Quick-Fix yet. It seems to have no noise when you hit it, unless it's really low and my music drowns it out. Whenever I'd hit it, people would just stand there.

That said, I really enjoyed using it on Upward for the first time. The rate it heals teammates is awesome and I kept some people alive for quite a while. I like it a lot.

BTW, was my mic okay? Don't know if people heard me saying stuff or not.

Blizzard

Banned
dragonlife29 said:

That said, I don't think people know when someone activates Uber with the Quick-Fix yet. It seems to have no noise when you hit it, unless it's really low and my music drowns it out. Whenever I'd hit it, people would just stand there.

That said, I really enjoyed using it on Upward for the first time. The rate it heals teammates is awesome and I kept some people alive for quite a while. I like it a lot.

Speaking as a heavy, it didn't seem to make any sound or visual effect at all, and the only sign I had was the little percentage numbers rapidly decreasing. How long does it last, 8seconds? I think I and/or my medic also got killed 2 or 3 times during a quick fix due to overpowering enemy damage. If they added a sound and/or visual effect that would be nice, as long as it wasn't obnoxious and didn't hurt performance.

The tomislav is nice, thanks Yeoz. I did okay with it but didn't destroy everyone, so I feel ripped off. I was hoping it'd make me invincible AND do the dishes!

Baha

Whoever that MurrayTheDemo guy was on pl_hoodoo stage 2, good job. Red put up a strong defense but we finally broke through. I hope to see some of the new faces stick around after this update, we can always use more players.

Ceebs

dragonlife29 said:

To be honest, I am not a huge fan so far. The lack of the overheal makes me feel kinda useless unless there was a firefight going on.

I think the uber is going to be more of a defensive thing than an offensive one. Use it to try and hold off a rush or something.

Ceebs said:
To be honest, I am not a huge fan so far. The lack of the overheal makes me feel kinda useless unless there was a firefight going on.

I think the uber is going to be more of a defensive thing than an offensive one. Use it to try and hold off a rush or something.
That's because IT is for defense. Like the Kritz, it is much better on defense, but at least you can use it on cp maps efficiently too. Overheal is too hard to give up imo.

Since who ever the hell you're healing goes to the middle of the battlefield it is like you never healed him. Borgnine/MUJU/Borsalino for example are great soldiers, and the lack of overheal would made them be more careful about rocket jumping. Heavies have a lot of health, but with overheal they are much more useful too.

I'd use it only if there's another medic on the team using other medigun.

Yeef

The new sniper rifle is pretty difficult to use well. Getting 3 headshots in a row without missing is pretty hard, especially with the way the lag has been over the last few days.

dragonlife29 said:

It makes the same sound effect that all of the mediguns make, but unlike the other two there's no visual representation to let you know you're ubered.

Quick fix isn't really meant to replace the other guns. It's not going to be good at taking out sentry nests or destroying the other team, but what it's great for is holding the line. Megaheal heals about a little over 100 health per second, so you can constantly top all of the teammates around you off when making a push. It also works great as a bait and switch.

Yeef

leroidys said:
What the fuck were valve thinking with the tomislav?
Yeah. It's pretty ridiculously overpowered. I was using it with the KGB and, because of the lack of spin up basically got a free kritz boost. If I were to nerf it I'd give it a quieter spin up (instead of silent), longer spin-down and maybe reduce the ramp up.

WedgeX

Banned
Drkirby said:
The now always full GAF Server.

</bitter about waiting 25 minutes and not getting in>

Full server is always a good sign.

And I just went back and read the first couple posts. I just got so excited! Joined the GAF steam group and everything!

Grinchy

Banned
esc said:
The Furry Pound servers are pretty good if you can stomach all the furry sprays. Luckily sprays haven't been working for me for ages. FUN-GINEERS is another good server. However, I've yet to find a pub that is consistently challenging (without being frustrating due to people's n00b-ness).
I basically only play on the GAF server or the Furry Pound stock rotation server. I get such good ping and the servers are always full of people.

One thing that annoys me is shit like the lotusclan servers. They make it look like all their servers are at 23/24 all the time. Then you join, there's 12 players, and they are mostly bots.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I think I'm in love with the Disciplinary Action. I'm still getting the hang of it, but I think essentially it's going to turn me in to a ninja soldier. I shall be the living embodiment of both the eastern and western schools of war.

It makes horizontal rocket jumps super easy. I know you can do horizontal jumps with just the rocket launcher, but I've never been able to do them. I also don't think you'd be able to get the same height, it's almost like a sticky jump. Like just now while on BLU on Badwater I whipped someone out of the gates and rocket jumped up on the cliff completely over the rocks. Of course I landed in a nest of REDs, but I was all SUPPLIES! and they totally didn't expect it. And I killed Borsalino so it was worth it.

It also seems to work pretty well around corners. Like I can jump out and bounce around like a scout and fire off 2 or 3 rockets, and then run back behind cover really quickly. The trade off is no equalizer, but I would say that honestly only saves my life maybe once a map. And there's usually someone around to whip to give the same effect, so maybe it'll even out.

Also though, and I think maybe this will get better with time, when we spawn DON'T FUCKING RUN AWAY FROM ME YOU JERK. Hang back and let me spank you and we can both be BDSM buddies and zing to the front. :)

Whenever they release the crate with Spy strange weapons, save them for me! I'm totally willing to drop some cash for a knife with a kill counter.

...Oh my gawd, what am I saying?! VAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLVVVVVVEEEE!!!!!!

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Yeah. It's pretty ridiculously overpowered. I was using it with the KGB and, because of the lack of spin up basically got a free kritz boost. If I were to nerf it I'd give it a quieter spin up (instead of silent), longer spin-down and maybe reduce the ramp up.
I refuse to admit it's overpowered unless I constantly dominate people. I got killed -way- too much for true overpoweredness!

If they have to nerf it I'd rather see them make the spin time longer but keep it silent (maybe even get rid of the "clunk" deploy sound), than give it long spin times and noise. It already does less damage, and I'd be sad to see it nerfed to Nastascha levels of unused-ness. Silent heavy adds variety!

Borgnine said:
I think I'm in love with the Disciplinary Action. I'm still getting the hang of it, but I think essentially it's going to turn me in to a ninja soldier. I shall be the living embodiment of both the eastern and western schools of war.
Yeah, I want to get one myself, and I -love- when teammates have it so far. Baha was whipping me around as a heavy, and it's such a nice feeling for any slow-ish class to get the boost, even if it's only for a few seconds. I guess I didn't even think about effects on rocket jumping.

Even though the Detonator is glitched, fear not Pyros, we can still reach some critical areas.

Badwater near the final capture point
12482.png

Goldrush, Stage A, into the attic
jMReD.jpg

I definitely made some players crap their pants.

Yeef

EmCeeGramr said:
The server seemed super extra janky. Weird pauses, and there were times I'd swear I'd backstabbed or pulled up my Dead Ringer but failed.
Yeah. At the end of every round there'd be like 3 second hiccup that would cause the defending team to lose. I'm going to have to blame the extra jankiness on the free to play. I'm pretty sure our hosting is shared, so if every server on the machine is loaded it's probably under abnormal load which would be causing the issues.

How did you guys get the new weapons this fast? Crafting? Trading? or... say it ain't so... BUYING THEM?

Also has anyone fiddled around with the Atomizer? Is that third jump awesome?

Weenerz

Banned
Obsessed said:
How did you guys get the new weapons this fast? Crafting? Trading? or... say it ain't so... BUYING THEM?

There's nothing wrong with buying them, it's supporting Valve.

I bought a bunch of 19-21 series crates today and got a bunch of Strange weapons. The rest are pretty easy to craft except for the medic melee weapon.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Obsessed said:
How did you guys get the new weapons this fast? Crafting?

Yes. Took about a full page of items to get all the soldier weapons. I'm always saving to craft a new hat, but you know what, I was born a pot man, and I'll die a pot man, so I might as well go for it.

Weenerz

Banned
Borgnine said:
Yes. Took about a full page of items to get all the soldier weapons. I'm always saving to craft a new hat, but you know what, I was born a pot man, and I'll die a pot man, so I might as well go for it.

NKe3U.jpg

snack

Weenerz said:

I bought a bunch of 19-21 series crates today and got a bunch of Strange weapons. The rest are pretty easy to craft except for the medic melee weapon.
Are you trading any of your strange weapons? :)

Weenerz said:

So is buying games from Steam.

Also I was mostly joking. I don't care if people buy shit from the store.

Where can I find crafting recipes? I want to craft myself some items.

Remy

Obsessed said:
Where can I find crafting recipes? I want to craft myself some items.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Crafting, but they're also all in the game now.

THOSE OF YOU ASKING ABOUT THE SERVER PASSWORD: It's "believe". We've put a password on to avoid random players who haven't even seen this thread from just jumping on. Obviously there's enough competition for the slots as it is. We've given the password at least 6 times over the last 3 pages of the thread.

The password will come off after the post-patch craziness dies down a bit.

Yeef

Obsessed said:

I crafted most of them, found the rest as drops. We knew a big update was coming soon for like 2 months now, so I just saved up a crap ton of items in anticipation. The double drop week helped a lot.

Third jump is awesome. Triangle jumping is so much fun. Soda popper is so deadly with a pistol, couldn't imagine using it without one though.

Forkball

E4D8E521E4E1BC5095523BA862B427487FC5F3CF

So I put some money in my Steam wallet for the upcoming summer sale, and god help me, I bought a key. I got a Strange Sticky Launcher. And thus my key adventures come to a close forever.

And the Soda Popper is a lot of fun. You really have to control your movement to unleash hype at the perfect time. Now to work on my aim...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom