• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeoz said:
Is it too late to jump on this bandwagon?
Go ahead.

Mine. Just take into account that I reset my stats a while ago, I still haven't touched any records I had before, namely 40 Kills with Engineer. D=

Also, how do you make class configs? I'd love to activate auto-reload for Soldier and Demo, and keep it off from Spy.

Grinchy

Banned
I play with Vsync on (I know, stop laughing at me) and I haven't really had any issues with keeping 60fps. But, things just felt like they were a tinge off, especially lately. So, I felt like messing with the settings today. I left everything else as high as it could go, but I turned the High Dynamic Range to none. The game doesn't look horrible without it, and it's so ridiculously smooth now that I have to figure out some new mouse settings.

Forkball

Put on your hype/speculation pants. From SPUF, so take it with a grain of salt.

1Ne78.png

Another big update next week? Steam sale? Team Spirit paint glitch fixed?

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
Go ahead.

Mine. Just take into account that I reset my stats a while ago, I still haven't touched any records I had before, namely 40 Kills with Engineer. D=

Also, how do you make class configs? I'd love to activate auto-reload for Soldier and Demo, and keep it off from Spy.
in your team fortress 2 folder go to "tf/cfg" and there will be a config file for each class (sniper.cfg, heavyweapons.cfg, etc.).

Just keep in mind that any changes you make for 1 class you'll need to undo for the others. Easiest way to do this is to put all of your default settings in autoexec.cfg and then just put "exec autoexec" as the first command in each class file.

Ferrio said:
Er what's wrong with Vsync on?
Vsync adds input latency. Some people don't notice it, some people do. If you normally play with VSync on try playing with it off and see if it improves your aim any.
Forkball said:
Put on your hype/speculation pants. From SPUF, so take it with a grain of salt.

1Ne78.png

Another big update next week? Steam sale? Team Spirit paint glitch fixed?
Nowhere does it say another big update. Just another update.

Also, this:
f7990.jpg

Yeef

I joined a thunder mountain game Java was playing on one of Valve's servers earlier and he, I and another guy were pretty much destroying everything. So then, on the last map while we were defending, during setup me and Java (he was playing medic) went up to the overlook near A so that we could surprise the BLU team when they tried to get on the cart. Then when we got there I turned around to see that the entire rest of the team had followed us. It was adorable. Too bad I didn't even think to save a replay.

Grinchy

Banned
Ferrio said:
Er what's wrong with Vsync on?
I know you've already gotten an answer, but you should really try turning it off sometime. It's like playing in God mode, except someone is slicing your eyes with razors and you have to just take it like a man. I used to be able to take the screen tearing. But now, for whatever reason, I cannot.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
I joined a thunder mountain game Java was playing on one of Valve's servers earlier and he, I and another guy were pretty much destroying everything. So then, on the last map while we were defending, during setup me and Java (he was playing medic) went up to the overlook near A so that we could surprise the BLU team when they tried to get on the cart. Then when we got there I turned around to see that the entire rest of the team had followed us. It was adorable. Too bad I didn't even think to save a replay.
I always knew you were a pubstomper

Yeef

Grinchy said:
I know you've already gotten an answer, but you should really try turning it off sometime. It's like playing in God mode, except someone is slicing your eyes with razors and you have to just take it like a man. I used to be able to take the screen tearing. But now, for whatever reason, I cannot.
Tearing can be annoying, but depending on your specs you can get stable frame rates with no tearing. I have VSync off and never get any tearing in TF2 with my max frames set to 121. In single player games and games that don't need such fast reaction time I always turn VSync on.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I always knew you were a pubstomper
Nope! I actually joined to kill Javaman (since tha tis my pastime), but then he switched over to my team. Also, we ended up losing anyway, because no one on our team other than me and Java knew how to handle sentries, but the other team had like 5 engineers.

Ketch

Orellio said:
Someone answer this man. Auto-reload on Spy is fucking absurd.

Sure thing.

In your team fortress 2 folder go to "tf/cfg" and there will be a config file for each class (sniper.cfg, heavyweapons.cfg, etc.).

Just keep in mind that any changes you make for 1 class you'll need to undo for the others. Easiest way to do this is to put all of your default settings in autoexec.cfg and then just put "exec autoexec" as the first command in each class file.

You're welcome.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeef said:
Tearing can be annoying, but depending on your specs you can get stable frame rates with no tearing. I have VSync off and never get any tearing in TF2 with my max frames set to 121. In single player games and games that don't need such fast reaction time I always turn VSync on.
Good looking out, I might need to check into this. I've just stuck with Vsync for so long now because of how bad my tearing was. I'm only a fake member of the master race of PC gamers and just assumed I had to live with either having tearing or input lag. I should google these things more often lol.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
If you have to depend on auto reload to 'complete' the disguise, you're playing spy wrong.
I don't think that's he said. It's just that the reloading animation for the revolver while shooting is fucking annoying.

Thanks Yeef.

Ketch

Yeef, You should add a donate button on the front page when joining the server... maybe get some of that free 2 play money since the server is always full.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sgt.Pepper said:
I don't think that's he said. It's just that the reloading animation for the revolver while shooting is fucking annoying.

Thanks Yeef.
I personally don't have a problem with it.

Sgt.Pepper said:

They're in the directory Steam\SteamApps\(your steam name)\team fortress 2\tf\cfg

autoexec.cfg is what you want applied to every character, and the individual names are the ones you want applied to just that class. I use this so that when I play Engineer, I have some of my num pad keys bound to building items (and one for quickly destroying my sentry, which is a part of playing Gunslinger with Frontier Justice): (engineer.cfg)
Code:
bind KP_HOME "build 2 0"
bind KP_UPARROW "build 0 0"
bind KP_PGUP "destroy 2 0"
bind KP_LEFTARROW "build 1 0"
bind KP_5 "build 1 1"

But with Spy it becomes a quick disguise list: (spy.cfg)
Code:
bind "kp_home" "disguise 7 -1"		//Pyro
bind "kp_uparrow" "disguise 4 -1"	//Demo
bind "kp_pgup" "disguise 3 -1"		//Soldier
bind "kp_leftarrow" "disguise 2 -1"	//Sniper
bind "kp_5" "disguise 5 -1"		//Medic
bind "kp_rightarrow" "disguise 9 -1"	//Engineer
bind "kp_end" "disguise 8 -1"		//Spy
bind "kp_downarrow" "disguise 1 -1"	//Scout
bind "kp_pgdn" "disguise 6 -1"		//Heavy
bind "kp_ins" "lastdisguise"
bind "kp_del" "voicemenu 2 3"

(The voice menu is just being silly.) I'm still playing with the order on that list, but that means I can just tap one key and pick any enemy disguise.

What I did was enable autoreload in-game, and then in each cfg file put in whether I wanted autoreload (1) or not (0). The command you want to put in your Spy.cfg is:

Code:
cl_autoreload "0"

The reason I did it the way I did is because I think it "sticks" between characters, so if you only put that in your Spy cfg, then switch to Soldier without putting cl_autoreload "1" in his cfg, autoreload will stay off.

Edit: Slow to reply. Maybe this will still give someone some ideas, anyway.

Ceebs

Sgt.Pepper said:
50 Kills as a Pyro? I'm thinking you were in some trading server, because damn.

Never Kuro!
Probably, but I am going to lie and say I was tweaking on some designer drug and was playing out of my mind.

Grinchy

Banned
*edit:maybe i just had freaky timing with a Steam crash or something

I was editing launch options right when this happened lol. I thought I messed my Steam up.

yeoz

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)
• Reduced CPU usage for idle servers

Team Fortress 2
• Added the Splendid Screen, Ali Baba's Wee Booties, and the Mantreads to the whitelist for Medieval mode
• Added a server console message when a player is sent to the server via the matchmaking system
• Fixed the cl_gameserver_list output
• Fixed the Quick-Fix showing the fire overlay when running in DX8
• Fixed a problem with team paints not being displayed properly when playing
• Fixed a display problem with Hatless hats
• Fixed a problem that prevented the new Scout items from being used in crafting recipes
• Fixed a problem with clients seeing the incorrect vote options after changing servers
• Fixed the backpack image for the Schadenfreude not being disabled when using paint
• Updated the Planeswalker Goggles to not hide the Scout's hat/headset
• Updated the taunt items to be nameable
• Updated the localization files
See, they do endorse idling ;-)
(actually there was a whole thread on the mailing list about how cpu utilization would hit 50% on the srcds dedicated server when no one was playing)

fake edit: i quit steam to change my download region and now i can't log back in :(

DogWelder

Server didn't crash, all your clients did (except mine!). Then I went and dominated Furo's limp body 40x before capping the cart and ascending to the Heavens. Aww yee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom