• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Kulock said:
I'm just testing it myself to find what settings I'm happy with, but here's what I've currently got in my autoexec.cfg file:

Code:
tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg "50"
tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg "150"

Oh to hell with this shit! Completely ruined my night.

Great games tonight!

Hmm, anyone have the mac version of TF2? I was wondering if there was any way to improve the performance when running it on OS X. Windows lets me play at native resolution no problems at all, but the mac version is like 15 fps and pretty laggy. Anyway to even it up?

It's not really a big deal, but it'd be nice not to have to restart every time I want to play.

masterofcoin said:
Great games tonight!

Hmm, anyone have the mac version of TF2? I was wondering if there was any way to improve the performance when running it on OS X. Windows lets me play at native resolution no problems at all, but the mac version is like 15 fps and pretty laggy. Anyway to even it up?

It's not really a big deal, but it'd be nice not to have to restart every time I want to play.
Well...that's a function of what GPU you have.

Forkball

If anyone wants the Big Earner, hit me up. I want an Uber Update weapon that I don't have (I have the Disciplinary Action, Winger, and Soda Popper).

yeoz said:
So, someone told me why these hats are in sets, and I feel stupid that I didn't realize it earlier.
Since they are in sets, the old polycount-update craft set headgear recipe works for crafting these hats! Duh!
You can stick the new uber-update items into that crafting recipe to get the new hats (of course, I wasted almost all my refined metal already).

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure that's a ridiculously valuable hat. Not just for being a new one, but for being Craft #2 as well.

Borgnine said:
Oh to hell with this shit! Completely ruined my night.

Well sorry for trying to help? You can change the numbers to change the pitch, or if it was your "night," you could've just exited out of the game for five seconds, taken it out of the cfg, and it would've stopped. Instead you've got to insult my post for offering the information someone asked for?

Obsessed said:
That teleporter shit is just pathetic.

It's like they dont even realize the game is called TEAM Fortress.
Right, get the most points on your team (goes Sniper or Spy)... heh time for some sick headshots and stabz

DogWelder

Wow, people have been complaining about Tomislav (and with good reason), but the Persian Persauder is way more imbalanced. I'm surprised more people aren't using it w/ the default set.

Uriah

Anyone know the general value of a strange pain train? I would check TF2 Trading Post but search seems to be down. What about paints?

Forkball

DogWelder said:
Wow, people have been complaining about Tomislav (and with good reason), but the Persian Persauder is way more imbalanced. I'm surprised more people aren't using it w/ the default set.
The Persian Persuader makes you unable to get ammo, so using it with the grenade launcher and stickybomb launcher isn't great since you will eventually run out of ammo since many people like to spam nades and stickies. I did read that it had no random crits, but that's hardly a downside with the new shield.

DogWelder

Forkball said:
The Persian Persuader makes you unable to get ammo, so using it with the grenade launcher and stickybomb launcher isn't great since you will eventually run out of ammo since many people like to spam nades and stickies. I did read that it had no random crits, but that's hardly a downside with the new shield.
That's what I thought, but you actually get ammo from dispensers. On offense it's perhaps a bit less viable, but I only ran out maybe once all night with it equipped.

Wow, I've been very lucky with hats this week. I got three hat drops already.

First it was the Vintage Tyrolean for Medic (after wishing I had it that same day), then the gift from Spec, which was the Demo's Sultan hat and, just now, I got the Mining Hat for Engineer.

Praise be to ye, Hat gods.

That said, I don't really care for the Mining Hat, since I never really use the Engineer. What's a good site to see what good trades are?

Clydefrog

dragonlife29 said:
Wow, I've been very lucky with hats this week. I got three hat drops already.

First it was the Vintage Tyrolean for Medic (after wishing I had it that same day), then the gift from Spec, which was the Demo's Sultan hat and, just now, I got the Mining Hat for Engineer.

Praise be to ye, Hat gods.

That said, I don't really care for the Mining Hat, since I never really use the Engineer. What's a good site to see what good trades are?

die.

DogWelder said:
That's what I thought, but you actually get ammo from dispensers. On offense it's perhaps a bit less viable, but I only ran out maybe once all night with it equipped.
You can actually turn the ammo into ammo still if your health is full IIRC.

Jzero

markot said:
I dont think ive ever gotten a hat drop >.< lol, just guns and a few paint...... oh and one tag and duel thingy.
Yea i don't either, i always get weapons. The same freaken weapons all the time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Traded a Jarate for a Brass Beast today. I'm pretty good with a Heavy but the utility of the Brass Beast seems pretty limited. That walk penalty hurts pretty bad. You pretty much have to be playing defense to pull it out.

Obsessed said:
I can never be a Sniper. My aim is just awful.

Yeah I suck with the rifles, but I seem to do pretty well with a Huntsman + Jarate combo.

Yeef

Hi all -

Free to Play brought a huge influx of new users to Team Fortress. To help server counts scale up to match the demand, we are reworking the dedicated server for performance. We want to improve player responsiveness as well as to reduce CPU usage so that hosts can run more servers per physical server.

Some of those changes addressing CPU usage went out last night. Server operators should see a big decrease in CPU load and can potentially run more instances per physical box now. However, a side effect that many of you have noticed is that server FPS has an effective cap of 500 instead of the previous 1000, or possibly even lower than 500 depending on your Linux kernel HZ setting. This should not have a noticeable impact on gameplay as the tick rate is still locked (well, mostly locked) at 66 updates per second and the frames that are being dropped are "empty" frames that do not actually run a server tick.

We're going to address this further in another set of performance improvements. Sorry for the temporary confusion, but we wanted to get these CPU load reduction changes out quickly to help with the Free to Play user crush.

Longer term, we want to move away from FPS as a measure of performance and instead show actual load and responsiveness (jitter/latency) statistics. The difference between a tick and a frame is complicated, and fps_max sometimes affects performance in counter-intuitive ways. We would like to retire fps_max for servers and replace it with a more obvious server performance setting. We'll give you all a heads up before we do so.

Henry G.
But Moe! The jank! The jank!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Well after sacrificing my scout hats to get the fancy uniform it's time for me to save up for the bonk boy.

AniHawk

playing valve's f2p servers is a lot of fun. get to actually practice for once instead of failing miserably. the shitty part is when i'm one of only two or three people on a team in dustbowl that knows what they're doing. it's great to bug the hell out of the one or two guys on the other team that knows what they're doing too, though.

biggest thing i'm seeing is a complete and total lack of teleporters from new engies, and spies not disguising themselves. oh, and pyros who don't know how to airblast when i'm shooting rockets at them.

Forkball said:
Actually, I think you do get ammo if you're full health.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Cpt.Underpants said:
How long for the "search for servers" function did it take you to get those server list? I've waited for 10-15 minutes and theres no server still showing up except on my history..
I get this from time to time, only Favs and History displaying servers, guess it's due to the main server getting hammered.

Evlar

Banned
Got a Strange Direct Hit and a Strange Eyelander. It'll take me a decade to get that Eyelander all the way up.

Joined a pub server with a friend who is new to the game. I don't know what nonsense was going on when I joined, there were at least four spies on the opposing team at koth_badlands. Never had so much fun as a pyro, heh, and got BarbeQueQ by the end of the second match as a bonus prize.

Fun matches last night, guys. I still get very nervous since I'm unfamiliar with most maps' layouts, but it's nice to play with nice people that won't lose their shit if I jump the gun with an unwarranted uber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom