• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Fun matches last night, guys. I still get very nervous since I'm unfamiliar with most maps' layouts, but it's nice to play with nice people that won't lose their shit if I jump the gun with an unwarranted uber.
I have no problem with unwarranted ubers all day long. They can scare off nearby enemies, and at the end of it the medic is still alive so that's what's important. It's infinitely better then having a medic with 100% uber, screaming a panicked "RIGHT CLICK! PLEASE RIGHT CLICK! YOU'LL GO INVINCIBLE," getting murdered, and then seeing your medic die a few seconds later apparently without using the uber.

*cries in a corner*

webrunner

You know what kinda makes me feel bad? Playing as a demo/heavy, shootin' stuff up, then running out of ammo right after getting ubered.

I feel like I just wasted someone's time.

Blizzard said:
I have no problem with unwarranted ubers all day long. They can scare off nearby enemies, and at the end of it the medic is still alive so that's what's important. It's infinitely better then having a medic with 100% uber, screaming a panicked "RIGHT CLICK! PLEASE RIGHT CLICK! YOU'LL GO INVINCIBLE," getting murdered, and then seeing your medic die a few seconds later apparently without using the uber.

*cries in a corner*
I've been on that boat as well, even last night there were a few times where I right clicked one second too late only to get unceremoniously backstabbed. That thought makes me feel a bit better when I uber someone without anyone around.

*joins Blizzard in the corner*

webrunner said:
You know what kinda makes me feel bad? Playing as a demo/heavy, shootin' stuff up, then running out of ammo right after getting ubered.

I feel like I just wasted someone's time.
You did. You wasted everyone's time. I hope you're happy.

thefil

Tip to help the uber problem.

If you're a medic, nametag your mediguns with "Call Medic for Uber". Then, when you are healing a soldier or demo already and they call medic, you know they are reloaded and ready for you to hit it.

Of course, you could just use a mic.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
thefil said:
Tip to help the uber problem.

If you're a medic, nametag your mediguns with "Call Medic for Uber". Then, when you are healing a soldier or demo already and they call medic, you know they are reloaded and ready for you to hit it.

There's an "activate charge" voice command for that. Strangely though there isn't one for "need ammo," which is really the only thing I feel like I'm missing.

Chavelo

Wooo, this is great. Most of my friends that play on Steam are now rocking bats and knifes and enjoying this awesome game. GG, Valve.

I also have most of the pre-uber weapons now, Once the hype slows down, I'll then go ahead and start collecting again. :D

Also, how much is a Vintage Spy Beard worth? Would it be enough for Ze Goggles? :O

Why the hell haven't I been playing this already!?!?

Maybe I'm just getting games with noobs but it's just so much fun to constantly see people grabbing loot and achievement all the time. I also love how hard the game tries to make you feel good. I was SOOOO close to my damage record on that life lol

I've been complaining lately about how I'm like a junkie that just can't get his shooter fix. Nothing was getting the job done, not Uncharted, bot Bioshock 2, and not ever Socom. Good games but I felt like I wasn't gettng the experience I kept looking for. Well, I swear last night I caught the fucking dragon!! I didn't need vehicles of leveling or boots just good shooting action with good mechanics that keep it fresh. Loot and items and equpment sets are such a great way to add the variety need to play the game for a long time without it being a clustersprunt of variables that aren't balanced right. I didn't even need to upgrade my laptop, just go. I bought ~$3 worth of small stuff to get started. I'm already looking on steam of other fun games that run on minimal hardware. Valve is damned smart.

I'll be tonight, but I don't have anyone on my steam friends list so please add my sorry butt and shoot me in the face like you've always wanted to. ID: BobTheFork.

Baha

BobTheFork said:
Why the hell haven't I been playing this already!?!?

Maybe I'm just getting games with noobs but it's just so much fun to constantly see people grabbing loot and achievement all the time. I also love how hard the game tries to make you feel good. I was SOOOO close to my damage record on that life lol

I've been complaining lately about how I'm like a junkie that just can't get his shooter fix. Nothing was getting the job done, not Uncharted, bot Bioshock 2, and not ever Socom. Good games but I felt like I wasn't gettng the experience I kept looking for. Well, I swear last night I caught the fucking dragon!! I didn't need vehicles of leveling or boots just good shooting action with good mechanics that keep it fresh. Loot and items and equpment sets are such a great way to add the variety need to play the game for a long time without it being a clustersprunt of variables that aren't balanced right. I didn't even need to upgrade my laptop, just go. I bought ~$3 worth of small stuff to get started. I'm already looking on steam of other fun games that run on minimal hardware. Valve is damned smart.

I'll be tonight, but I don't have anyone on my steam friends list so please add my sorry butt and shoot me in the face like you've always wanted to. ID: BobTheFork.

Glad to see that you've joined us, if you're planning on spending money on steam soon then might I suggest that you wait a little while. The summer sale is almost upon us (I can feel it in my bones) and you'll be guaranteed to pick up a ton of great games at a fraction of the cost.

DogWelder said:
I uinstalled TF2, I won't be playing for a while. I'll see ya guys around. Yeef, you can de-admin me.

Nooooo!

I'll miss your crappy mic to which I could just barely understand what you were saying half the time. ;-;

Yeef

DogWelder said:
I uinstalled TF2, I won't be playing for a while. I'll see ya guys around. Yeef, you can de-admin me.
We don't de-admin people around here unless they do something bad.

Have a good time getting your life together!

Clydefrog

Chavelo said:
Also, how much is a Vintage Spy Beard worth? Would it be enough for Ze Goggles? :O

I don’t know the worth of Ze Goggles or a Vintage Spy Beard. I do however have Ze Goggles if you want to trade. If someone can confirm that is a fair trade, I’ll do it!

Blizzard

Banned
DogWelder said:
I'll probably be back eventually, I've just been playing too much that I've been neglecting other aspects of my life. Also, it's hard not to rage these days lol. Getting out with my sanity intact.

Yes.
Goodbye my only friend ;(

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
DogWelder said:

:( :( :(

Now I'm sad, when I came in here to post funnies -

20110628.jpg

Baha

Clydefrog said:
I don’t know the worth of Ze Goggles or a Vintage Spy Beard. I do however have Ze Goggles if you want to trade. If someone can confirm that is a fair trade, I’ll do it!

Eh, a non vintage ze goggles for a v. spy beard is an ok deal. You're both getting what you want anyway.

Baha said:
Glad to see that you've joined us, if you're planning on spending money on steam soon then might I suggest that you wait a little while. The summer sale is almost upon us (I can feel it in my bones) and you'll be guaranteed to pick up a ton of great games at a fraction of the cost.
Good to hear, I'll do that. I wanted to set up my wallet and buy something small, I'll wait to pick up a nice hat.

It's weird that I got into steam on day one with HL2 but I had never bougth anything else off of the site. I remember really not liking it the first time I used it, but SOOOO much has changed since then. I think I asked last night but is there a dedicated GAF server people play on?

derFeef said:
Strange Gloves Of Running Urgently. Who would ever want something like that?
:eek:

So that's why my Heavy ran faster than me in one match. He looked like a Scout. Well, a significantly slower, plump and rotund scout.

(._.)

Banned
I use the GRU. Heavy rarely needs to use melee so they own since most medics pocket with me. Noticed more and more people are using them these days.

derFeef

(._.) said:
I use the GRU. Heavy rarely needs to use melee so they own since most medics pocket with me. Noticed more and more people are using them these days.
Yep. But getting kills with them? phew...

Baha

BobTheFork said:
Good to hear, I'll do that. I wanted to set up my wallet and buy something small, I'll wait to pick up a nice hat.

It's weird that I got into steam on day one with HL2 but I had never bougth anything else off of the site. I remember really not liking it the first time I used it, but SOOOO much has changed since then. I think I asked last night but is there a dedicated GAF server people play on?

GAF server info should be in the OP. You can also join the GAF-TF2 steam group so that you'll receive announcements when we start playing: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2

Ferrio

Banned
Chavelo said:
Ah, crap... The day he wanted to join the group is the day he gets banned. D:

When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.

edit: He posted a spoiler in the game of thrones thread.

Hey ya'll! Game is really fun and I've actually sunk a small amount of time into it so far. Actually bought a key to open a crate too so I have the "premium version" whatever that means. Two questions though:

1) What's the TF2 Beta? It showed up in my library and I haven't really looked at it yet.

2) Any tips of spotting a spy? Seems like every minute or so I'm getting shanked.

Edit: Oh, and my Steam name is TKAwsome. I could use more Steam friends and a non-random TF2 team.

Evlar

Banned
Tkawsome said:
Hey ya'll! Game is really fun and I've actually sunk a small amount of time into it so far. Actually bought a key to open a crate too so I have the "premium version" whatever that means. Two questions though:

1) What's the TF2 Beta? It showed up in my library and I haven't really looked at it yet.

2) Any tips of spotting a spy? Seems like every minute or so I'm getting shanked.
The beta is where they test top secret things. It's like the Public Test Realm in World of Warcraft, if you have any experience with that game.

To spot a spy: Is one of your teammates running right at you? Unless that sniper has something to say to you that can only be said in a whisper, he might be a spy.

Do you see a scout crouching behind a building? Why the hell would a scout do that? Might be a spy.

Did the player r0x@ss just run past you as a heavy, and then get a kill on the other side of the map with a rocket launcher? Might be a spy.

Is that Medic just standing there like an idiot next to three people with half-health, not using his Medigun? Might be a spy.

But the best way to tell is to play pyro or a class with a bleed weapon (sniper, engie, etc.) and whack anyone who gets close. That'll learn 'em.

They really fine tuned the crafting interface. Haven't been there in a while, so I was able to turn all of my duplicates into the new weapons. Just missing the Heavy's new primary weapon, but now I have a Demoknight and the Medic upgrades. Game seems intimidating, but you can really gear yourself up from crafting.

Evlar said:
The beta is where they test top secret things. It's like the Public Test Realm in World of Warcraft, if you have any experience with that game.

I know a bit about betas, I'm just a console peon though so I always saw them as these special "You're invited" type of things. Never touched Wow so I'm not sure about your comparison, but I'm guessing this beta is available to everyone with a premium account?

Evlar said:
Do you see a scout crouching behind a building? Why the hell would a scout do that? Might be a spy.

Did the player r0x@ss just run past you as a heavy, and then get a kill on the other side of the map with a rocket launcher? Might be a spy.

Is that Medic just standing there like an idiot next to three people with half-health, not using his Medigun? Might be a spy.

But the best way is to play pyro or a class with a bleed weapon (sniper, engie, etc.) and whack anyone who gets close. That'll learn 'em.

I've been getting better at spotting them when they hang out in a disguise. It's when they just quickly bolt around the corner where they get me. I've been hanging out in Payload though, so it's hard for someone to stand out when the whole team is constantly charging.

Evlar

Banned
Tkawsome said:
I know a bit about betas, I'm just a console peon though so I always saw them as these special "You're invited" type of things. Never touched Wow so I'm not sure about your comparison, but I'm guessing this beta is available to everyone with a premium account?
Yeah, I meant it's an open test build as opposed to invitation-only, and it's running perpetually. I honestly don't know if F2P people can get in.

Tkawsome said:

Edit: Oh, and my Steam name is TKAwsome. I could use more Steam friends and a non-random TF2 team.
The beta is just TF2 playtesting new weapons, and other stuff. Detonator, Quick-fix, and the new menu were on the beta first.

As for spies:
- Turn around every 2 seconds.
- If you see a "teammate" acting weird, like Sniper going to were a Heavy is, or a slow running Scout. That's a spy.
- Shoot at places were they might be hiding, if you hit one you'll see his cloaked figure for a few seconds.
- When you feel a "bump" like if you were against a wall, but didn't see a figure. That's a Dead Ringer spy.
- When a enemy dies from one hit, that's most certainly a spy.
- Pyros are a Spy worst enemy, if you aren't one then tell your teammates to spy-check regularly.
- Always hit your teammates, they might be a spy.
- Jarate reveals even Dead Ringer Spies before they get to use the watch.
- Watch upper levels, cliffs or anything were someone might be up there. Spies can jump from there, and stab you.
- If you know is a Spy, and goes up the stairs, DON'T follow him recklessly, he might jump from the top, and stab you. Either shoot him from afar, or if you do follow him NEVER give him your back.
- When as playing as an Engineer, circle strafe your buildings or put your back against the wall.
- Most importantly always spy-check.

Ferrio

Banned
Spies are so damn annoying currently. Barely anyone is checking for them. Really makes being a medic/heavy really annoying.

Dreams-Visions said:
lol. killed a sniper with the eyelander taunt. I felt embarrassed for the dude.
Sandman's killing taunt>>any other taunt. You're so vulnerable, but when you land it is incredibly satisfying. =D

Sgt.Pepper said:
As for spies:
- Turn around every 2 seconds.
- If you see a "teammate" acting weird, like Sniper going to were a Heavy is, or a slow running Scout. That's a spy.
- Shoot at places were they might be hiding, if you hit one you'll see his cloaked figure for a few seconds.
- When you feel a "bump" like if you were against a wall, but didn't see a figure. That's a Dead Ringer spy.
- When a enemy dies from one hit, that's most certainly a spy.
- Pyros are a Spy worst enemy, if you aren't one then tell your teammates to spy-check regularly.
- Always hit your teammates, they might be a spy.
- Jarate reveals even Dead Ringer Spies before they get to use the watch.
- Watch upper levels, cliffs or anything were someone might be up there. Spies can jump from there, and stab you.
- If you know is a Spy, and goes up the stairs, DON'T follow him recklessly, he might jump from the top, and stab you. Either shoot him from afar, or if you do follow him NEVER give him your back.
- When as playing as an Engineer, circle strafe your buildings or put your back against the wall.
- Most importantly always spy-check.

Or you can just let me backstab you :D

desh

Spl1nter said:
The liberty launcher is pretty good, in fact it is very good. Much better than the vanilla rocket launcher or black box.

No. It is better than the black box, yes. It is not better than the vanilla rocket launcher. I don't know how many times I wish I had that extra rocket when I'm rolling with the Liberty Launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom